• Published 3rd Sep 2012
  • 808 Views, 48 Comments

Pepperdance - TaliZorah



Applejack x random blindbag pony shipfic. Enjoy.

  • ...
3
 48
 808

Chapter 4

I'm in a dark void. All I see is a strange, multicolored blob in front of me. It's colors are compromised a earthy tones: orange, brown, yellow, and two greenish orbs. Eyes? I thought. Why are they looking at me? I'm nothing special... Their gaze, if they were indeed eyes, were filling me with a warm, happy feeling. It felt as if I was cared for, that I meant something. That I'm loved.

The shape moved closer to me, its green never leaving mine. Pressing itself up against my side, an elliptical brown shape separates from its mass and takes up residence atop my head. A hat? It's pretty comfortable. I sigh contentedly and the warm, soft creature to my side follows suit, finally closing its eyes.

There's now a light in the darkness. As it increases in warmth and brightness, the shape of the orange mass begins to change. It looks equine in shape. Orange coat, a yellow mane... She looks familiar.

Before I can more closely examine the mare, a ringing sound rouses me from sleep. Opening my eyes with an unholy grimace, I see that my bedside clock reads 5:00 a.m. Slamming a hoof on the snooze button, I roll over, hoping to quickly find myself back in my interrupted dream. I slowly close my eyes...

RINGRINGRI--

Removing my hoof from the remains of the alarm clock, I carefully fall out of bed. It's gonna be a long day.

I quickly make my way through my morning routine-- coffee, breakfast, shower, brushie brushie--, totally failing to make sense of my bizarre dreram. I decide to file it away for later-- today was going to be a busy day. Walking out the front door, I notice Bass opted for sleeping on the couch as opposed to his own bed. Idiot.

~~~~~

My trip was uneventful, and soon I find myself on the front porch of the Apple family's home. I knock on the front door and wait...

And wait...

And wait...

I'm about to knock on the door again when I hear, "Oh, there y'are! We was wonderin' where you were at." I spin around and stifle a gasp. There stands Applejack, but for some reason, she seems different.

She's lacking her hat, and her freed mane is being blown softly, gracefully, by a breeze. The sun, low in the sky behind her, accentuates the golden glow of her mane and brings emphasis to a thin layer of sweat on her forehead-- an obvious sign that I'm late. I swear this all seems familiar.

I stay in a trancelike state until I'm roused by the sound of a small cough. I notice Applejack has adopted a raised eyebrow and a nervous smile. I develop a similar smile and look downwards, sheepishly rubbing the back of my neck. "Um..." I can feel the blood rushing to my face.

"Um... yeah..." Applejack mirrors my reaction. "Hows about we go 'n' get started?" She pulls her hat seemingly out of nowhere and places it atop her head.

"Yeah... let's," I say, returning my hoof to the ground and finally looking back up. My blush felt as though it had nearly receeded.

Applejack seemed to have recovered from the akwardness quickly as she spun towards the barn. "Follow me. Y'might be a farmer like us, but apples're a might different than peppers." I, who was still sitting akwardly on the porch, rush to cathc up to her. "Now, the first thing you got t'know about apples is..."

I had a feeling it was going to be a pretty long day.

~~~~~

I was wrong-- it was a reaaly long day. After Apples 101-- it turns out farming apples isn't too different from farming peppers--, we got to work. A few hours after noon, Big Macintosh returned from town with Applebloom. She ran off to play with her friends while Big Mac went to work on the other side of the orchard. "He likes t'work on his lonesome," said Applejack when I asked. "Solitude, Ah think it's called."

For hours we worked side by side, until the sun hung low in the sky. The hours passed quietly, but AJ seemed to have forgotten the events of this morning. I, however, couldn't seem to get them-- and similar thoughts-- out of my head. Every time she spoke, I smiled. Every time we came in contact, my heart fluttered. I spent these long hours in confusion, mulling over all of this, but coming up with no answers.

"Hey Pepper!" she calls after finishing with one rather sizable tree. I trot up to her, tiredly. "It'll be gettin' dark soon. Ah reckon we should call it a day."

I nod. "Sounds good."

She wipes the sweat off her brow and we both start towards the house. The wind picks up, violently, and I hear a loud crack. I assume it's just Applebloom and her friends and pay it no mind. I don't begin to feel worried until apples and leaves start falling to the ground en masse. I hear another crack, much louder than the first, followed by a tremendous snap.

"Woah, look out!" shouts Applejack.

*THUNK*

I fall to the ground as a ggood sized tree branch hits me in the back of the head. I taste blood as my world fades to black.

~~~~~

What feels like a few seconds later, I start to regain my consciousness. I hear some muffled voices and slowly begin to open my eyes, wincing in pain at the brightness.

All I see is a strange multicolored blob, compromised of earthy tones: orange, brown, yellow, and two spots of green. The very pressence of the thing for some reason filled me with feelings of warmth and safety. My ears are filled with a terrible ringing, but over the noice I hear-- or I think I hear-- it say, "Y'alright, sugahcube?"

"Mhm," I try to say. The shape moves forward to help me up. As it touches me the feeling of happiness increases tenfold and I sense a smile come to my face. When I get to my hooves I am assaulted by lightheadedness. I begin swaying violently, threatening to fall.

"Woah there, sugahcube." The blob rushes to my side and I lean against it. Her? "Let's get you back t'the farm." I seem to be having a hard time thinking clearly, so when a large brown mass appears on my head, I once again find myself on the ground. "Calm down," says the voice. "Jus' m'hat."

My vision is still a bit fuzzy, but that doesn't prevent me from finally recognizing the identity of the blob. "Applejack?" I ask, almost too quietly to hear.

She chuckles. "You must've got hit harder than Ah thought. C'mon." She again lifts me to my hooves, putting her stetson back on my head. "Yer squintin' somethin' awful. Ah thought it'd help t'maybe give yer eyes some shade."

"Thank you," I murmur. We both start walking towards the distant farmand when she notices my limp, she motions for me to lean against her for support. As our sides touch, I gasp.

"Y'alright, sugahcube?" she asks, looking at me with concern.

"I'm fine," I answer with a small smile. She smiles in return and directs her gaze forward. I swallow and give a quick thanks to the setting sun and the color of my coat for helping to hide the growing blush on my cheecks.

What is this? What's going on with me? I ask myself. Does this have anything to do with my dream last night? All thinking about it seems to do is generate more and more questions. I decide to simply relax and enjoy the moment. With the sun to our backs, we continue back towards the farm.