• Published 3rd Sep 2012
  • 808 Views, 48 Comments

Pepperdance - TaliZorah



Applejack x random blindbag pony shipfic. Enjoy.

  • ...
3
 48
 808

Chapter 2

I wake up and lie in bed a few minutes before opening my eyes. I see the sun staring back at me through windows whose curtains I accidentally had left open. I immediately shut my eyes and roll out of bed. Walking over to the window, I untie the curtains, letting them fall into place, blocking the obtrusive rays responsible for my temporary blindness. I glance towards the clock resting on my nightstand, which reads 9:32. I open my door and walk downstairs to make breakfast .

~~~~~

Twenty minutes later, and I have a batch of waffle batter cooking and was busy mixing together a pitcher of orange juice when I hear a heavy clopping coming from upstairs. I look towards the living room to see an irritated Bass plodding into the kitchen.

"Good morning!" I exclaim cheerfully. "You're up early."

He walks past me, muttering something incomprehensible and probably threatening, before making some coffee. A few minutes later, a trio of high pitched beeps signal that the drink is done. He pours himself a large mug and sits down at the table.

After taking a few sips, he looks up and says, "Boss needs me t'come in early today." He takes another sip before continuing. "She's planning on some big storm tonight and needs me t'help set it up."

I bring over two plates and the finished waffles and we begin eating. On his second waffle, he pauses. "Damn." He over to a paper stuck on the fridge, then at me. "Hey, would you mind going out and doing some shopping while I'm at work? "

I swallow a bite before answering. "Sure. What do you need me to get?"

"It's all on that list," he says, pointing a hoof towards the fridge. "Thanks."

I nod, and we resume eating. After finishing his waffle and shotgunning what remained of the scalding-hot coffee, he goes back upstairs. A few minutes later, he's galloping out the door, shouting what sounded like, "I'mgonnabelatedon'tforgettheapples, seey'laterbye."

Once outside, he stops just long enough to close the door before flying off. I finish my waffle and juice, and clean up the kitchen a bit. I then go upstairs to wash up and get my saddlebags. Coming back downstairs, I remove the list from the fridge before exiting the house to go to the marketplace.

~~~~~

A few hours later, and I'm walking home, saddlebags full of groceries. As I walk past a unicorn mare and baby dragon, I overhear the mare telling him to double check the gargantuan checklist he was dragging. Shrugging to myself, I sit down on a nearby bench, pull out the shopping list, and begin reading it to myself.



•Bananas √

•Bread √

•Carrots √

•Coffee √

•Cinnamon √

•Eggs √

•Flour √

•Milk √

•Oats √

•Sugar √



Before getting back up, I decide to flip the paper over. As I do, I find a single item, unchecked.

•Apples

Figuring I'd rather not listen to Bass complain about a lack of fruit, I decide it would be worth the effort to go back to the market. On my way, I stop by the empty space where I used to set up my pepper stand. Looking around, it seemed like I was the only one who even noticed its absence. Sighing, I turn and walk up to the apple stand. I was greeted by a cheerful orange mare sporting a worn brown Stetson atop a blonde mane.

"Howdy, pardner. Name's Applejack," says the mare. "What can Ah do ya fer?" she asks, offering her hoof.

I reach out and shake it, answering, "Just here to buy some apples." The farmpony releases my hoof and looks down ashamedly.

"Ah'm a might sorry, sugahcube, but we're fresh out fer today," she says with a sigh. "Ponies've been buyin' 'em faster than we can get 'em out t'market, leavin' alot of disappointed customers at the end of the day. Gotten so bad, we've been thinkin' of hirin' us some help."

At this, my ears pick up, and I start thinking. The bits from selling my farm wouldn't last forever, and when they ran out, I'd need some way to help pay rent. Also, it was a chance to work with one of the most successful businesses in Ponyville.

After a moments hesitation, I say, "What a coincidence. I've actually been looking for a job, if you'd be interested in hiring."

Applejack looks up from her empty stall with a smile. "That's great t'hear. D'ya have any experience with farm work?"

"Yeah, I used to own a farm of my own, once," I reply, rubbing the back of my neck.

She stares at me for a moment before noticing my cutie mark and giving another smile. "Oh, yeah. Ya used t'run that there pepper farm. Pepperdance, right?"

I nod.

"Listen, sugahcube. Sorry 'bout what happened t'yer farm. My friend Pinkie was always talkin' 'bout yer 'ghost peppers' and whatnot." She pauses with a chuckle before giving a slight cough. "Ah'll need t'run it by Granny Smith, but come back t'the stand tomorrow and Ah'll give ya an answer 'bout gettin' ya a job at the farm, alright?"

I give a small nod. "Alright, thank you Applejack."

"Shoot," she says, tipping her hat. "Y'all can jus' call me 'AJ'. Rolls off the tongue a bit smoother."

"Alright, AJ," I say before turning to leave. "See you tomorrow."

"Y'all have a good night, sugahcube!" she calls, waving to me as I walk home.