• Published 13th Mar 2021
  • 4,238 Views, 100 Comments

The Pony Guard (Season 2) - MXCDarkHorse2020



As both the Lion and Pony Guard continue to protect the Pride Lands along with Equestria they face bigger challenges than before with their friendship tested more than ever.

  • ...
4
 100
 4,238

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 5: Luna Eclipsed

Episode 5:

Luna Eclipsed

At the Golden Oaks Library, Spike currently in his purple dragon costume pacing in front of stairs where Twilight is currently changing into her costume for tonight’s Nightmare Night festival with the baby dragon starting to get a little impatient waiting for her get ready.

“Ugh, come on, Twilight. We're gonna be late for the Nightmare Night festival.” Spike complained as the unicorn finally came downstairs with her costume on.

She was wearing a night-sky blue robe over her body that had gold stars and light blue stars and gold bells with a matching large hat while wearing white beard on her chin.

“Nice.” Spike complimented. “And who are you supposed to be again?”

“I'm Star Swirl the Bearded! Father of the amniomorphic spell?” She answered.

“Star Swirl?” Spike questioned before it started to ring bells in his head. “Oh yeah, Right! Right!” He remembered as he pulled out the book that Twilight showed him from earlier. “Although you can’t blame me for not knowing right away. I mean the title of the book you showed is titled “Obscure Unicorn History.” Otherwise I would have assumed you were dressed as some kooky grandpa.”

“Okay then.” Twilight responded as she smirked deciding to turn this into her advantage. “Since you need to learn to respect your elders. You just volunteered to greet the ponies at the door all by yourself.” At that moment they heard a knock on the door. “Go on.”

“Dang it. Me and my big mouth.” Spike grumbled to himself as he moved to open the door where he is greeted to the friendly faces of three fillies.

“Nightmare Night! What a fright! Give us something sweet to bite!” They chanted as Spike presented the candy bowl with Twilight appearing to see what everyone else is wearing.

“Hi, everypony. Great costumes.” Twilight greeted everyone. “Happy Nightmare Night, Granny Smith.”

“I should have been asleep five hours ago.” She wearily complained with bagged eyes looking very worn out as she was the only pony nearby not wearing a costume.

Then a small colt with a white coat and brown hair wearing a pirate costume stepped forward as he waved his paper sword in the air before falling down face first into the ground.

“Pipsqueak the pirate, at your service. It's my very first Nightmare Night.” He greeted the two with a salute.

“Since you moved here from Trottingham?” Twilight asked.

“Yep, not only that, my very first Nightmare Night ever!” He added as Pinkie and Bunga appeared wearing chicken costumes.

“Enough chitchat! Time is candy!” Pinkie stated as she pecked her beak into the ground.

“Pinkie Pie, aren't you a little old for this?” Twilight asked finding it a little off and past her time.

“Too old for free candy?” Pinkie responded as she squawked. “Never.“

“And I’m still a kid too.” Bunga pointed out to his smaller chicken costume. “Along with the rest of the Lion Guard so it’s all good.”

Twilight rolls her eyes while acknowledging that the honey badger does have a point there as she gives everyone their candy before moving her costume while having the bells jingle.

“Do you like it?” She asked everyone.

“Yeah! Great costume, Twilight! You make a fantastic weirdo clown!” Pinkie cheerfully responded to which Twilight took offense to that.

“No, no, that’s Star Swirl the Bearded.” Bunga corrected.

“Exactly!” Twilight felt pleased to hear that. “Thank you!”

“No problem!” Bunga thought nothing of it as he, Pinkie, and the entire group walk off. “I always knew that all that searching through books I never even known about would actually pay off otherwise I too would have thought you were a clown too.”

“I almost thought she was wearing looking like a Grandpa!” Spike snickered to which is met with a glare from the unicorn as she marched off ahead into town.

On the way over she can’t help but wonder why Star Swirl the Bearded is hard to know and remember as if nopony knows about him.


The two then make their way towards town where they would meet up with the others who are joining in on the fun with new costumes so they can join in on the fun of Nightmare Night. All while the ponies and Pride Landers are all conversing with one another, Fuli on the other hand is sneaking around on the look out for some pony while trying to do trick-or-treating on her own before moving forward unnoticed.

“Star Swirl the Bearded is only the most important conjurer of the pre-classical era.” Twilight explained to Spike of why Star Swirl should be well-known. “He created more than two hundred spells! He even has a shelf in the Canterlot library of magic named after him.” She then thought of an idea to rectify that. “Maybe I should start up a pony group to teach ponies about history. I bet everypony would love it! Don't you, Spike?”

“That could work.” Spike agreed while munching on his candy as he had to stop himself just before he could nearly crash into Twilight.

“Hey look, we're here already! Should we get something to eat?” She then asked the baby dragon who belched from all the candy he ate on the way to which Twilight did not look pleased with him spoiling his appetite for dinner.

But just before Twilight could say anything about Kion arrived with the Cutie Mark Crusaders accompanying him. Kion was dressed as a tiger while the Cutie Mark Crusaders were all dressed as little tiger kitties.

“Hey, Twilight!” He greeted.

“Hey, Kion. Girls.“ She returned.

“Hey Twilight, Spike!” They greeted.

“How are you enjoying the celebration?” The unicorn asked.

“Pretty good so far.” He happily replied. “Other than these three fillies being a handful at times…” The girls sheepishly grinned hearing that because of how true it is. “…this night has been great so far. Been so far getting a lot of candy.” He presented their full candy buckets. “As well as having a lot of fun together.”

Just then Pinkie had appeared out of nowhere along with Bunga and the kids she has been watching over.

“Twilight, Kion!” She greeted as she presented her bag of candy filled completely to the brim. “Look at our haul! Ah! Can you believe it? And then, we went to Cheerilee's house, and got a bunch more goodies. Didn't we, Pip?”

“Sure did!” The pirate dressed filly replied as everyone is unaware that Rainbow wearing a dark version of a Wonderbolt costume or more accurately a Shadowbolt is sneaking up on them via a dark cloud.

“We would have been here sooner but we had to drop Granny Smith back home so she can rest and…” Bunga continued until he and Pinkie Pie were both startled by the shock from the lightning bolt before fleeing with the other fillies all fleeing the scene screaming.

Rainbow laughed in amusement at his prank feeling very proud of himself.

“Rainbow Dash, that wasn't very nice.” Twilight scolded the laughing Pegasus.

“You could have hurt somebody.” Kion also chided.

“Lighten up, old-timer and little tiger.” Rainbow said in response. “This is the best night of the year for pranks!”

“Look what you did to Spike!” Twilight pointed out to the passed out dragon.

“You nearly gave him a heart attack.” Kion added with a disapproving expression.

“It's all in good fun. Plus, nopony got hurt.” Rainbow dismissed their concerns certain that everyone is okay before turning her attention to another group to pull her prank on. “Oh! Oh! There's another group over there!”

The rainbow-maned pony quickly pushed her cloud over there and with a single zap she literally shocked them as they all screamed together to which Kion shook his head at.

At the same time, Fuli had witnessed this from afar before setting off in the direction she can trick or treat without running into Rainbow Dash.

“Well, I better catch up with the girls and make sure they don’t get lost.” Kion then said as he ran off ahead. “I’ll catch you later.” He added with a friendly smile before running off.

“See ya.” Twilight called after him as she picks Spike up with her magic onto her back as they press forward together.

Elsewhere, Applejack and Ono are both watching over the apple bobbing at the festival as Beshte and Mtoto are also there bobbing for apples by the time Twilight and Spike arrived.

Beshte had on a gray furred bear costume with a jolly looking appearance with Mtoto dressed as the grey-furred bear cub. Ono had on a red parrot costume that had an orange peak and blue feathers and wings.

“Happy Nightmare Night, Applejack, Beshte, Mtoto!” Twilight greeted as they approached them.

“Howdy, Spike! Hey, Twilight!” Applejack returned.

“Nice costume.” Beshte complimented.

“Thanks! I'm a dragon.” Spike happily returned.

“Cool!” Mtoto expressed as he eyed his costume. “But you’re a dragon?”

“That’s the idea.” Spike pointed out the joke.

“Oh, I get it!” Mtoto gasped as he chuckled.

“Obviously.” Applejack noted as she turned to Twilight’s. “So is yours.”

“Thanks.” She replied. “Have any idea who I am?”

“Is it some kind of magically wizard?” Beshte guessed.

“Yep.” She happily responded. “Hoof-stitched by myself.” She proudly added. “Although for some reason others keep mistaking it for someone else.”

“Must be tough.” Applejack sympathized. “But at least you were able to make yours by yourself while I had to get Rarity to design mine. Heck, Bunga was now getting the hang of sewing too.”

“Where is Rarity?” Twilight asked as she looked around for the unicorn. “She loves this holiday.”

“Still working on her costume.” The farm pony replied. “But hopefully she’ll join us soon enough. In the meantime, ya' feel like bobbin' for an apple?” She gestured to the tub as Carrot Tops and Derpy are both taking their turn.

Carrot Tops was about to bob for one with Derpy popped her head out of the tub and pulled what she thought was an apple but accidentally plugged the drain that emptied the tub out of the water.

“Aw nuts.” Applejack said in annoyance. “Looks like I gotta fill the tub again. Nice costume both of y’all.” She said to them as she went over to do so.

“That reminds me.” Beshte thought of something else. “I better check up on Fluttershy and see if I can get her to come.”

“Still holed up in her cottage?” Spike asked.

“Yep.” Applejack said as she plugged up the tub. “Ever since one pony decided to dress up as Nightmare Moon into giving her a heart attack while taking all of her candy.”

“That wasn’t very nice.” Twilight felt displeased that drove the poor girl into hiding in her home.

“It sure wasn’t.” Applejack didn’t like it either. “But no pony ever got a good look at his or her face and ever seen him or her since.”

“Typical coward.” Kyoga said in disgust at the nerve of some pranksters of how far they are willing to go for candy. “Anyways, good luck.”

“Thanks!” The hippo cheerfully replied as he walked on over there with Mtoto following him there.

At that moment that was a large crowd of ponies nearby cheering as Mayor Mare wearing a clown outfit addressed the crowd of ponies and Pride Landers gathered there.

“Thank you, everypony, and welcome to the Nightmare Night festival!” The mayor addressed the cheering crowd as Twilight and Spike walk over to the front of crowd where they spot Kyoga is already there.

“Hey Kyoga.” The unicorn greeted.

“Hey.” The lioness stoically greeted as she looked on while sporting black dyed fur.

“Dressing as a black cat are you?” Spike asked.

“Yep.” She replied not batting an eyelash.

“Here to see of what the holiday is like too?” Twilight asked.

“Yep.” She repeated as she glanced at Twilight. “Dressed as a wizard.”

“Yep.” Twilight simply returned.

“Spike’s a dragon?” She asked again.

“Yep.”

“Part of the joke?”

“Yep.”

“And you’re all here to hear the legend of Nightmare Moon too?” Spike asked.

“Yep.” She answered as the mayor continued her speech.

“Now, all the little ponies who have been out collecting sweets should follow our friend Zecora to hear the legend of... Nightmare Moon!” She spookily said the last part with attempted wicked laughter.

“Spooky voice might work better if she wasn't dressed like that.” Spike whispered to Twilight feeling she should tried something scary than a clown.

“You’re right about that.” Kyoga whispered back as Twilight giggled finding humor at the moment as Zecora makes her entrance using a brew of green mist from a potion she created who appeared wearing a black cloak and a white wig with spiders on it.

Seeing the cloak in question sparked sudden chills in Kyoga’s spine as if the vibes and senses seem familiar to her as if she has met the one behind a similar cloak too as the zebra leads everyone into the Everfree Forest where she directs everyone’s attention to a silver stone statue of Nightmare Moon.

“Follow me, and very soon, you'll hear the tale of Nightmare Moon.” She said to the children who are all shuddering at the sight of the villainous alicorn. “Listen close, my little dears, I'll tell you where you got your fears of Nightmare Night, so dark and scary.” She then blows some green dust into the air creating a green mist of Nightmare Moon. “Of Nightmare Moon, who makes you wary.”

The mist then flies over in the shape of the dark alicorn as she flies in deep towards the crowd which transformed into a green mist with a pair of eyes which spooked everyone even Kyoga as the green eyes looked very familiar. One with a black heart deep down.

“Every year, we put on a disguise, to save ourselves from her searching eyes.” Zecora said as the foals all scattered around screaming as Pipsqueak accidentally ran face first into the statue to which he nervously backed away in fear before accidentally bumping into an ostrich who just happened to be burying her head into the ground to which the two screamed and ran with the ostrich leaving behind an egg she laid.

Kyoga watching still had chills up her spine from seeing the green eyes as she nervously gulped to which Twilight took notice of.

“You okay?” She asked.

“Mmm-hmm.” She replied as she regained her composure why refusing to say more as Zecora continues speaking the tale while using the green powder to show more visuals of Nightmare Moon.

“But Nightmare Moon wants just one thing: to gobble up ponies in one quick swing! Hungrily, she soars the sky. If she sees nopony, she passes by. So if she comes and all is clear, Equestria is safe another year!”

“Uh, Miss Zecora…” Pipsqueak asked while lightly tugging on her cloak. “…if we wear costumes to hide from Nightmare Moon, so she won't gobble us up, how come we still need to give her some of our candy?”

“A perfect question, my little friend.” She replied. “For Nightmare Moon you must not offend.” She said as she blew more dust into the air to create another image of Nightmare Moon. “Fill up her belly with a treat or two, so she won't return to come eat you!”

The replica then launched towards the group and transformed into a green mist to which frightened everyone as Kyoga’s heart raced as she felt her heart rate pick up and ended up losing control of her magic shooting lightning into the sky from her bright white glowing eyes.

“Oops.” Zecora said seeing that worked a little to well as Kyoga drops to her knees with Twilight catching her before she can hit her head on the ground.

“Everypony! Just dump some candy and get out of here!” Pinkie screamed.

“Run for it!” Bunga added as he quickly gave him a good portion of his candy before getting the heck out of dodge along with every other pony as strong winds with strong clouds forming in the nighttime skies with a bright flashing light appearing from the sky as a chariot with a sinister horned figure wearing a black cloak rides on her mysterious chariot carried by two fast flying guard ponies wearing dark blue armor with bat-like wing armor to which further spooked everyone as everyone backs away with Twilight still holding onto Kyoga as she remained unconscious with Spike hiding behind the unicorn’s tail just as the chariot lowers in close towards the ground just floating above the ground

“It's Nightmare Moon! Run!” Pinkie gasped as everyone all screams and flees for their lives leaving Twilight and Kyoga behind with the former wondering who is the pony hiding under the cloak as everyone all made their way back to town just as the chariot flew towards town with Twilight still carrying Kyoga who is starting to come too just as the pony riding floats down to the ground.

She unveiled her cloak from her head to reveal herself as Princess Luna, the dark blue alicorn with bright blue magically sparkling hair similar to Celestia’s with matching blue eyes, along with a black crown and crest necklace with her black and white moon cutie mark image on it.

Everyone there all bowed in terror of her sudden appearance well expect for Twilight and Kyoga who are both awestruck at her.

“Princess Luna!” Twilight said as she started to move to go speak with her only to be pulled down to the ground by Spike.

“What gives?!” Kyoga demanded as Spike shushed them as the princess prepares to speak to everyone.

“Citizens of Ponyville! We have graced your tiny village with our presence, so that you might behold the real Princess of the Night! A creature of nightmares no longer, but instead a pony who desires your love and admiration! Together we shall change this dreadful celebration into a bright and glorious feast!” She shouted in a loud and a dramatic booming voice. A voice so powerful that wind was blowing around her.

Nobody said anything other than the dimwitted zebra who screamed…

“Panic and Run! Panic and Run!” before fleeing town back towards the portal to the Pride Lands while everyone just remain frozen before the alicorn princess made her way towards the groveling mayor with an extended hoof.

She reacted in offended surprise when she did nothing as she expected the mayor to kiss her hoof before quickly remembering her manners.

“Oh…” She said as she quickly kissed her hoof. “My apologies your highness, I was not expecting her arrival here.”

The princess then turned to all of the terrified citizens who all cower at her looming presence even when she means no harm.

“Please, children, no! You no longer have reason to fear us!” She pleaded with them as the small group of children all flee from her in terror. “Screams of delight is what your princess desires, not screams of terror!“ She added as turned to another group who still cover their eyes and tremble in fright.

“What is the matter with you?” She asked before leaving in the Everfree Forest’s direction in a huff. “Very well, then. Be that way. We won't even bother with the traditional royal farewell.”

“Looks like she behind her times.” Kyoga whispered to Twilight.

“Yep.” She nodded as she moved to follow her. “I’m going to go talk to her. Wanna come?” She offered to the lioness.

“Sure.” She replied as they both went after as Spike reluctantly accompanied them.

“Are you both sure about this?” Spike asked still worried. “Coming back here on Nightmare Night is doing little to help herself prove she has changed.

“Yes I’m sure.” Twilight answered firmly. “She just need some help adjusting from being gone for a thousand years as well as making new friends.”

“And for someone that has been separated from her only family for a long time I can relate to what she is going through.” Kyoga added with sympathy for the princess.

“What do you mean?” Twilight curiously asked.

“I’ll explain another time.” Kyoga quickly changed the subject. “Let’s just focus on helping her.” She said as she pointed to the alicorn kneeling in front of her statue looking rather sad and lonely just like Twilight when it seemed she would have to leave Ponyville and when her friends were corrupted by Discord fiddling with a single piece of candy left behind.


“Princess Luna?” Twilight greeted. “Hi, my name is-“

“Star Swirl the Bearded. Commendable costume! Thou even got the bells right.” Luna returned.

“Thank you! Finally! Somepony who actually gets my costume!” Twilight felt pleased as the others that she came across haven’t gotten the actual answer and those were close couldn’t figure who exactly aside from Bunga in a random moment of luck before getting back on track with Luna sporting a small saddened look upon seeing the pony she is dressed as. “Anyways, I just came to welcome you to our celebration! My actual name is-“

“Twilight Sparkle.” Luna answered correctly again before flapping her wings while speaking with her overly loud booming voice as dark clouds and winds formed around her. “It was thou who unleashed the powers of harmony upon us and took away our dark powers!”

“And that was a good thing, right?” Twilight asked as Luna returned to her normal voice.

“But of course. We could not be happier. Is that not clear?” She wondered why as if it should be an easy yes as she sharply spoke right in the unicorn and lioness’s faces as she flew over to them.

“Well, you kinda sound like you're yelling at me.” Twilight said as she slightly cringed from her tone.

“Rather loudly.” Kyoga added as she placed a claw in her ears to make sure her hearing is still working.

“But this is the traditional royal Canterlot voice!” She justified her use of tone. “It is tradition to speak using the royal "we", and to use this much volume when addressing our subjects!” She added as she shouted in her now booming tone to which moved the unicorn’s costume beard and hat from the force of the shout while blowing Kyoga’s tail back.

The former quickly readjusted her beard and hat while sporting a surprised expression as Kyoga’s tail lowered with her trademark stoicism.

“You know, that might explain why your appearance was met with... mixed results.” Twilight gently explained of why it probably didn’t go as she expected. “I think if you just changed your approach a bit, you might be met with a warmer reception.” She added as she placed a hoof on the necklace on her chest before quickly retracting upon realizing that she was getting a little touchy feeling with the princess.

“Change our approach?” Luna asked in her royal Canterlot voice right in the unicorn’s ear.

“By lowering the volume?” Kyoga clarified with a lowered paw to exemplify Twilight’s point.

“Ohhh.” Luna said in her normal tone of voice feeling a little awkward now. “We have been locked away for a thousand years. We are... not sure we can.” She remained uncertain as Twilight led the way over to Fluttershy’s cottage.

“Not a problem.” Twilight assured as she led the way out of the Everfree Forest. “We can help you out there.”

“I sure hope so.” Luna replied as she reluctantly presses forward while all ears with the unicorn’s help along with Kyoga accompanying them.


The four then make their way over to Fluttershy’s cottage with Twilight knocking on the front door

“Don't worry, Princess. Fluttershy can give you some great pointers. She's delicate and demure with the sweetest little voice.” She assured her just as Beshte answered the door.

“Hey everyone!” He happily greeted as they all heard Fluttershy’s voice from inside.

“Go away! No candy here! Visitors not welcome on Nightmare Night!“ She shouted.

“Fluttershy, it's me, Twilight and Kyoga!” Twilight called after her as she peaked her head out the door.

“It is you. Ah, and Kyoga, and Nightmare Moon. Nightmare Moon?” She suddenly gasped and quickly retreated when the last thing she said registered in her head.

“Wait right here.” Twilight kindly said to the princess as she went after her along with Beshte. "Fluttershy..."

“Is everything all right with her?” Luna whisper asked Kyoga and Spike.

“Normally, she’s fine with guests.” Spike replied. “Expect when it comes to Nightmare Night as ponies have often pulled pranks on her which crippled her self-esteem in coming out and really enjoying the holiday.”

“Is that why she is holing up in her cottage?” She asked.

“Yep.” He replied as the two manage to get Fluttershy out the door to greet the princess after a series of clattered pots and struggling.

“Fluttershy... Beshte… you two remember Princess Luna?” She asked as she held the Pegasus in her magic aura.

“Charmed.” The princess greeted with her Royal Canterlot voice to which sparked the intimidation in the poor girl’s heart as she tried desperately to scramble away but couldn’t because Twilight still had her in her grip.

“Likewise.” She timidly replied.

“Nice to meet you.” Beshte replied with a bow as Luna continued to speak in her Canterlot voice.

“Twilight Sparkle hath spoken of the sweetness of thy voice. We ask thou teachest to us to speak as thou speakest.”

“Okay.” Fluttershy quietly replied as her loud booming voice isn’t easing her nerves in the slightest.

“Shall our lessons begin?”

“Okay.”

“Shall we mimic thy voice?”

“Okay.”

“How is this?”

“Perfect, lesson over!” Fluttershy then said hurriedly as she moved to run back inside.

Twilight quickly shut the door in front of her with a prepared not giving up on her expression before she could get back inside with the Pegasus running face first into the door instead.

“A little quieter, princess.” Beshte then instructed her as he decided to take a turn in instructing the princess.

“How is...” Luna started in her royal Canterlot voice but then said in her honest normal voice. “…this?”

“Better. Right, Fluttershy?” Beshte replied before asking the Pegasus who then turned to face them.

“Yes.” Fluttershy replied still dazed and with nervous laughter.

“How... about... now?” Luna asked in her normal voice a little louder.

“Now you're getting it.” Twilight complimented.

“And... how about now?” She said with the perfectly normal measured tone of voice.

“Yes! Well done.” Twilight again complimented.

“Poa!” Beshte commended as Luna went over to thank them as she levitated them over for a hug.

“I thank thee, dear Fluttershy and Beshte! Our normal speaking voice shall surely win us the hearts of thy fellow villagers.” Luna thanked while so happy she ended up slipping back into her Royal Canterlot Voice.

But of course the moment got short-lived when Pinkie, Bunga, along with a group of children under their supervision just happened to show up at the worst possible time.

“Fluttershy! You've gotta hide us! Nightmare Moon is here and...” Pinkie began before she squawked the sight of the hug misinterpreting it for crushing her due to the princess hugging her tight. “Ah! She stole Fluttershy's voice so she can't scream when she gobbles her up!”

“Run for it!” Bunga screamed to everyone as they all run away.

“Nay, children, wait!” She shouted in her Royal Canterlot voice by mistake before quickly correcting herself. “I mean... nay, children, no, wait.”

But it was too late, they had already ran off leaving the princess upset by the reception created from that misunderstanding.

“Well done, Pinkie and Bunga, as always.” Kyoga remarked sarcastically.

“Yep.” Spike replied just as annoyed. “That’s Pinkie and Bunga all right.”

“Sorry.” Fluttershy regretfully said.

“Not your fault.” Beshte assured. “It was just a misunderstanding.”

“Thou wish they hadn’t happened.” Luna said feeling hurt they were quick to judge her like that.

“Phew.” Mtoto said as he regrouped with the Pegasus and hippo after going to the outhouse for some personal business. “What did I miss? Oh no.” He then sadly realized. “I didn’t miss the princess did I?”

“Not to worry.” Beshte assured with a smile. “We’ll see her again. Just as soon as we help Fluttershy.” He added as they gestured to the Pegasus quickly retreating in her cottage,

Even so, Twilight wasn’t about to give up on her just like that.

“Not to worry. Come on, princess. Time for plan B.” She positively said as they make their way back to Carousel Boutique where Rarity is said to still be working on her dress for the holiday.


“My friend Rarity, is the best when it comes to styling ponies with amazing garments! This is her boutique, Carousel Boutique.“ She explained to her just as they arrive where the unicorn knocks on the door to her shop.

“Go away!” Rarity screamed frantically. “No candies here, Preparation isn’t finished yet!”

“Ahaha…” Twilight began while taken aback by her sudden outburst as she clarifies who’s attempting to see her. “…Rarity…It’s me, Twilight….”

Hearing her voice calmed her down as she opened the door to greet her guests.

“Oh…it is you. Sorry, Twilight, Kyoga, Spike, Nightmare Moon.” She calmly greeted until her face froze in horror upon seeing the alicorn herself. “Nightmare Moon?!”

She quickly shut the door and retreated back inside.

“Um, excuse me one second.” Twilight politely said as she retrieved the unicorn and forced her out of the shop to greet the night monarch.

“Rarity…” Twilight began by placing a hoof on her chin to get her to relax. “This is Princess Luna, remember? Not Nightmare Moon.”

“Uh right…” Rarity then said still nervous in the face of the alicorn princess. “What can I do for you?”

“I know you are busy but I was just wondering if you could design the princess a dress to help make her look less intimidating.” Twilight asked.

“Hmm.” Rarity hesitated still quaking in terror. “I don’t know. I already got my hooves full with trying to get my dress all prepped up.” She pointed to her elegant dark blue and purple servant outfit along with a matching colored dress with spider webs on it.

“She is dressing for Nightmare Night or dressing for being Nightmare Moon’s servant?” Spike whisper asked Kyoga.

“Nightmare Night unless if we are accounting for an alternate timeline where that actually happens.” Kyoga dully replied.

“Please, Rarity?” She asked again. “You’d really be helping spread the magic of friendship by doing this generous gesture.”

Rarity seeing the pleading and eager buttoned up eyes the unicorn was giving along with being unable to go against her element couldn’t resist the offer.

“All right.” She relented with a kind smile. “For the princess.”

“Excellent.” Luna felt pleased as Rarity works her magic in sewing together a dress in just a short amount of time to which she personally rushed it a little due to be very stressed in the face of royalty along with trying to complete her final holiday costume all the while Spike lovingly gazes upon his crush as Kyoga pays no attention while keeping a paw on his tail to keep him from interfering with her work along with using this as an opportunity to hit on her at a very bad time.

She then fitted her in a pink dress with matching ribbons and hearts, with matching boots, with a rose and bowtie on her mane to which didn’t seem to like very well.

“Less intimidating?” Luna stoically asked.

“Not much.” Kyoga agreed with that notion with the same expression.

“Rarity? What happened?” Twilight asked.

“I’m sorry! I panicked!” Rarity apologized.

“Though this is a marvelous dress, we cannot wear it in public. We’ll have to take this off.” Luna expressed gratitude but declined to wear it anymore as she began to tear the dress off piece by piece.

“Sorry, Twilight.” Rarity said to her with regret.

“No, I’m sorry for coming on short notice…” Twilight voiced she should be apologizing just as Pinkie, Bunga, and the children came by again.

“Rarity! You gotta hide us!” Bunga called out to her.

“Nightmare Moon just gobbled up Fluttershy’s voice and…” Pinkie frantically added as she suddenly gasped upon catching Luna in the act of tearing apart her dress. “She even ate a princess! Not even royalty is safe!”

“Run for it!” Bunga screamed just as alarmed as everyone flees the scene.

“Neigh! Children wait! We have not done such a foul thing!” Luna desperately tried to call out to them to no avail.

“By the way Twilight…” Rarity said as she looked upon her costume. “Very nice costume, are you dressing as the oldest pony in the universe?”

“It’s Star Swirl the Bearded.” Twilight said rather irritated as the fashionista giggles in amusement as the group all presses forward as they all walk back to town where ponies and Pride Landers are dancing and playing games together…


…At least until everyone all stops and cowers before the princess when they see her arriving on the scene.

“At least now she has everyone’s attention.” Kyoga whispered to Spike at the now cowering ponies.

“Yeah, but not the attention she wants.” Spike noted that Luna isn’t happy with how everyone is reacting.

“Like I don’t know that.” Kyoga quipped to which Spike felt he walked his mouth thinking otherwise.

“Oops.”

“It is of no use, Twilight Sparkle. They have never liked us and they never shall.” The night monarch lamented.

“Maybe if Pinkie and Bunga would learn to quit misjudging her right off the bat.” Kyoga commented while finding it annoying herself as Twilight remained confident they will find a way to help the princess.

“My friend Applejack is one of the most likable ponies around. I'm sure she'll have some ideas.”

Said pony was currently helping Pipsqueak when he accidentally and nearly fell into the apple tub.

“Whoop. Careful there, partner.” She said to him as he ran off ahead just when the four approach her to which left them both startled by the princess’s appearance.

“Hapana!” Ono exclaimed as he fainted and fell into the apple tub while Applejack fell to her knees while covering her eyes.

Luna’s stoic expression showed little change mirroring Kyoga’s as if the latter was silently saying “Seriously?” in her mind as Twilight kneels down to quickly smooth things over before Luna could feel further hurt.

“Uh... Applejack, the princess is looking for a little advice on how to fit in around here.” She told her.

“"Fit in"? Really?” Applejack asked in surprise to which is met with an annoyed grunt to give the cowgirl the hint as Ono quickly flies out the basket as he nearly drowned in the water there.

“Of course.” He replied very warmly. “My apologies.” He added with a bow of respect to her. “Fitting in is easy!”

“Yeah! All you gotta do is have the right attitude.” Applejack added as the two shared their words of advice.

“Loosen up a bit.”

“Be positive.”

“Play a few games.

“Have some fun.”

The two advised with positively.

“Luna: Fun? What is this "fun" thou speakest of?” Luna asked with a confused expression as Twilight, Applejack, and Ono gesture her to the nearby toy spiders. “Pray tell, what purpose do these serve?”

“Try to land the sp-sp-spiders on the web.” A cowed pony wearing a bee costume answered as she quaked in terror while covering her eyes as she points to the post with a set up spider web.

Luna picks up one of the rubber spiders and tosses it at the web only for it to fall short.

“You can do it, princess!” Applejack encouraged her to try again.

“Just a little higher and longer.” Ono advised with the same upbeat attitude.

Taking Ono’s advice to heart, she does just that as she manages to not only get it on the web, but manages to hit it right in the center much to her surprise she actually managed to quickly get the hang of it.

“Ha! Your princess enjoys this "fun"!” Luna expressed some delight in it as some of the ponies nearby came over very impressed with what she managed to pull off. “In what other ways may we experience it?” She wondered as she is directed to the pumpkin catapulting game where the aim is to fire the pumpkins onto the wooden targets across the field.

“Fire away, princess!” Twilight cheered for her as many ponies gathered to see her try it out.

As Luna pulls back and lets go of the catapult the pumpkin flies over the horizon towards the target where she managed to obtain another perfect bullseye to which everyone cheered for her.

“Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!” She exclaimed in delight.

“Hurray!”

“Why don't you try bobbin' for apples?”

“We got the best apples in Equestria here, princess.”

Applejack and Ono offered.

“I ask that thou call us... me... Luna, fair Applejack and Ono.” Luna humbly asked of her before asking the same from everyone around them. “Hear me, villagers! All of you! Call me Luna!”

Everyone all did so as it now seems that ponies are finally warming up to the younger princess as Twilight is feeling pleased that Applejack and Ono’s approach is working out with Spike and Kyoga following them as the young lioness begins to have a spark of sunshine in her heart seeing Luna starting to be finally accepted by everyone.

“Show me to these bobbing apples.” The princess eagerly asked as she sees Pipsqueak falling into the apple tub. Acting quick, she ran over to save him.

But once again, Pinkie and Bunga with the kids they were supervising show up once again to cross paths with her again.

“Hey, gals. Anypony seen Pip? We lost him the last time we had to run…” Pinkie began before she and Bunga saw her pulling the kid out of the tub.

“Aaah! Nightmare Moon is gobbling Pipsqueak! Run for it!” Bunga screamed to everyone as they all do so even Pipsqueak.

“Help! My backside has been gobbled!”

“Dang it! Why?” Kyoga exclaimed in frustration at their antics just when things were going right.

“'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!” Luna snapped as she stomped her hoof with thunder accompanying it to which frightened the nearby fillies. “Fair villagers, please do not back away. Let us join together in... fun!” She then tried to recompose herself as she tossed the rubber spider towards them.

“Not enough fun for you?” She said seeing that she is not getting the response she wanted. “What say you to this?!” She then worked her magic infused with lightning to turn it into a real spider along with the other rubber spiders which spooked them all into running away again as a group of them crawled up to the center of the web.

“Huzzah! How many points do I receive?” She eagerly asked everyone still ran around screaming.

“Do not run away!” She pleaded with everyone as one of them crashed into a barrel of apples.

“As your princess, we command you!” She then tried to order them to no avail as they all continue to bump and crash into each other out of fright until she decided she’s had enough.

“Be still!” She shouted in her deafening Royal Canterlot voice which got everyone’s attention as they all stopped and froze in their tracks.

“Princess, remember! Watch the screaming!” Twilight tried to remind her.

“No, Twilight Sparkle!” Luna out of anger refused as her eyes glowed white. “We must use the traditional royal Canterlot voice for what we are about to say.” She then turned to everyone while floating up into the air while still speaking in the same tone with dark clouds surrounding her as she addresses everyone. “Since you choose to fear your princess rather than love her, and dishonor her with this insulting celebration, we decree that Nightmare Night shall be canceled! Forever!”

Needless to say this response and announcement frightened everyone even sparking shock in Kyoga’s heart as she was looking herself in the mirror seeing her public outburst and passed out after the shock became too much for her.

By the time, Kyoga came too following Luna’s outburst, she was being helped up by Kion as the Cutie Mark Crusaders all look on at the mess in shock.

“Kyoga!” Kion said to her as she woke up. “Are you okay?!”

“I’m fine…” She replied as she stood. “…what happened?”

“You passed out.” He told her as she rubbed the side of her head. “Twilight caught you before you could hit your head.”

“Again?” She asked as placed a paw on chest. “What is happening?” She wondered why she is having heart issues as they hear a voice call out to her.

“Kyoga!” Twilight called out to her as she came over to him. “Oh, thank goodness you’re okay!”

“Twilight!” Kion returned to the unicorn. “What happened and why are ponies upset hearing that Nightmare Night is canceled?”

“Because Princess Luna canceled it herself.” Twilight answered with a disappointed sigh. “After she couldn’t take ponies constantly running away and shaking in fear of her every time she tries to greet them.”

“Did she really?” Apple Bloom wondered.

“Yeah.” Twilight solemnly replied. “I spent all night trying to help her adjust to current times and every time when things were going great, Pinkie and Bunga show up and cause a scene that ended up making things worse.”

“That’s sad!” Sweetie Belle commented with pity.

“That’s sure gotta be frustrating. The princess just can’t get a break tonight.” Scootaloo agreed.

“I know.” Applejack added. “We had everything goin' our way. Luna was happy, everypony in town was happy, now look at 'em.” She pointed to the saddened children all being comforted by their parents.

“But I wanted to be a zombie next year.” A blond filly wearing a light purple dress cried.

“It's not over yet.” Twilight stated still not giving up on her.

“What are you gonna do?” Applejack asked.

“I'm going to do what I do best. Lecture her!” Twilight answered as she stood proudly.

“Um…actually…” Kyoga spoke up wanting to voice her input on the matter. “…can I come and talk to her too?”

“Why?” She asked.

“Remember the Grand Galloping Gala?” She brought up.

“Yeah?” She wondered she is going with this.

“Well, while everyone was busy there, I came across and met with her before and together we both shared of what it is like to be separated from our loved ones and having to be gone for some time.” She answered.

“Really? How old were you when it happened?” Twilight asked feeling surprised to hear this.

“I was only a cub when it happened.” Kyoga answered as she sadly sighed.

“Oh…” Twilight just said almost speechless. “I see.”

“Yeah.” She replied as she tried to keep her emotions in check. “I wasn’t as old as Luna when it happened but I understand her pain and I relate to her very well.”

“Sure thing.” She accepted. “The more the merrier.”


The two then ran off ahead and looked around for her until they both spotted her sadly walking across the small bridge over a small stream of water.

“Princess?” Twilight called out to her.

“Leave me be, Twilight Sparkle.” She despondently replied as she is on the verge of crying as she voice slightly cracked.

“Princess, I'm sorry it hasn't worked out how we wanted.” She apologized as she then tried to explain. “But you have to believe me when I tell you that Nightmare Night is one of the most popular celebrations we have.”

“Yes. I can tell. By all the adoring shrieks of the children as they run away.” Luna bitterly remarked as she continued to walk away.

“That came out wrong.” Spike said to himself as Kyoga quickly ran in front of her to stop her from leaving.

“Princess...” Kyoga calmly began. “…I’m sure they didn’t mean to upset you. They were just scared and have yet to adapt to the fact that you are no longer Nightmare Moon.”

“I thy appreciate the effort…” Luna began as she stopped to listen to her. “…It’s no use. Every time I try to prove I have changed something always comes up that makes thou say otherwise.”

“Maybe we need to try again.” Kyoga advised. “But this time we go after the head pony and honey badger to tell them so they’ll tell everyone else the same thing.”

“But how are we going to get them to do that since thou always run away every time we see them?” Luna wondered.

“Easy.” Twilight answered as she and Kyoga share a knowing smile of how they can bait and draw the two towards them.


Back in town as everyone is still distraught by what happened earler, Pinkie and Bunga were drawn to candy laying around on the ground.

Predictably, the two were never ones to pass down free candy as they followed and ate the trail down towards the nearby alley where Twilight and Kyoga quickly ambushed them as they both quickly place paws and hooves over their mouths.

“No! No shrieking. No screaming or squealing either. Okay?” Twilight demanded of them.

“Okay.” The two replied through their muffled voice.

“Now we’re going to let go of your lips.” Kyoga sternly began. “And when we do you’re going to cooperate with what we ask of you. Understand?”

“Mm-hmm.”

“Good, now, there's something I want you two to see. And I promise that it's safe, but you really, really, really can't shriek. Do you promise not to shriek?” Twilight then said and asked of them.

“Mm-hmm.”

As soon as they let go of their lips, Princess Luna approached them to which they nearly screamed and shrieked until Kyoga glared at them with a threatening growl.

“Pinkie Pie, you remember Princess Luna, right?” Twilight introduced her to them.

“Ah. The ringleaders of the frightened children.” She said as she glared at them until she then dropped it into a hopeful smile. “Hast thou come to make peace?”

She offered her hoof in forgiveness, as both Pinkie and Bunga both were initially hesitant at first but the two then warmly smiled too as they both reached out for her hoof.

But just inches away before they could do it, Kyoga noticed a dark cloud courtesy of Rainbow approach from behind the alicorn as she had it produce lightning to illuminate her face with a bright white glow in the shadows to which spooked both Pinkie and Bunga out.

“Nightmare Moon!” The two screamed as they quickly tried to make their escape.

“Rainbow!” Twilight scolded as she quickly teleported in front of Pinkie and Bunga to tackle them to the ground before they could escape the alley while Kyoga had her eyes glow white as she striked Rainbow with a bolt of lightning with her magic from behind which scared her into fleeing the scene.

“Unbelievable!” Kyoga exclaimed getting fed up with these last second spanner in the works against them at this point.

“The one time Pinkie doesn’t do anything, Rainbow just happens to be there.” Spike expressed the same sentiment yet more annoyed than angered like Kyoga.

“She's changed, Pinkie and Bunga! She's not evil or scary anymore!” Twilight restrained the two as she forced her to understand that. “And she definitely doesn't want to gobble you up!”

“Well, duh.” Bunga replied.

“Huh?” Twilight and Kyoga said in unison as she and Kyoga shared the same expression at his reply.

“Of course we know that. Sheesh, Twilight. I'm almost as big as her, how's she gonna gobble me up?” Pinkie added.

“So why do you two keep running away and screaming?” Kyoga asked if that’s so.

“Sometimes it's just really fun to be scared!” Pinkie replied.

“Yeah, it’s all part of the holiday spirit.” Bunga added as the girl’s frowns didn’t fade because of all of the trouble that had occurred through Luna’s efforts to prove otherwise.

“Well even so, your antics tonight have made it very hard for the princess who is trying to prove to everyone that she truly has changed as well as well preventing the princess from trying to make new friends as well.” Twilight then reprimanded them for that.

“Not to mention it ended up getting Nightmare Night canceled.” Kyoga added as she scolded them.

“Really?” Pinkie asked in surprise hearing that as she turned to an equally surprised Bunga. “That wasn’t our intent.”

“Yeah, all we were just doing was just stirring up some screams and laughs, we never meant to hurt her or anybody else.” Bunga then explained himself as he immediately regretted causing that to happen.

“Well you two did.” Kyoga bluntly pointed out to the downcast princess looking on the equally upset citizens of Ponyville along with the young Pride Landers.

“I believe you two now have something to say to the princess?” Twilight then expected an apology from them to which they quickly and remorsefully do so.

“Sorry?” They both apologized in unison to the night monarch.

“Shall we try this again?” Luna asked as she offered her hoof in forgiveness.

The two then both shake her hoof separately as they take turns with Pinkie going first with Bunga following after her.

“So, uh, all is forgiven?” Bunga nervously asked with his hands behind his back now as he trailed his eyes towards the ground.

“Indeed they are.” Luna returned while sporting a small thankful smile to which both let out a sigh of relief upon hearing that before turning to the others who now have satisfied smiles. “So now what shall we do about everyone else?” She asked.

“I think we can arrange a solution for that.” Twilight said as expressed confidence once again that this proposal will work for certain. “Because thanks to these two geniuses I have a plan.”

“Wow, Twilight. You are such a flatterer.” Bunga laughed it off. “But we all know we’re not that smart.”

“Me too and I'm a chicken.” Pinkie added with another squawk.

“Anyways…” Twilight said as she turned back to the kneeling princess. “Princess Luna! I've finally figured out why you're having so much trouble being liked!”

“Forgive me if I withhold my enthusiasm.” She replied with a deadpan expression and tone as Twilight gestured her to follow her while letting some of the other adults along with the rest of the Guard know so they can be in on the plan as well.

“Come with me. I'll explain everything on the way.” Twilight said as everyone follows after her back to the statue in the Everfree Forest.


Back in town as the adults help clean up the aftermath, Kion and Beshte are both comforting the children there.

“Gosh. I never thought my very first Nightmare Night would be my very last.” Pipsqueak lamented.

“Me neither.” Beshte expressed as he tried to help them feel better. “Maybe Princess Luna has had time to herself to change her mind about.”

“Yeah.” Kion agreed as he leaned down to the filly. “I’m sure she didn’t truly mean what she said back.”

“Exactly.” Zecora also assured as she walked over to him. “Now come, little Pip. Now don't you fret. Nightmare Night's not over yet. We still have candy left to give, so Nightmare Moon might let us live.”

“Yes. Come on, little ponies.” Mayor Mare walked over with the same idea as she walked over to help cheer them up. “What's Nightmare Night without the annual candy offering? You don't want Nightmare Moon to gobble you up, do you?“

“Aw, the rainbow wig just kills it for me.” Spike complained and whispered to Twilight and Kyoga as they walk by watching the scene.

“No kidding.” Kyoga remarked as the cow girl went over to encourage the kids to go there too.

“Come on, kids! Doesn't that sound like fun?”

The fillies with the adults and the Guard watching over all walk over back to the statue of Nightmare Moon where all of the children place their candy offerings in front of the princess’s statue one last time.

“Goodbye, Nightmare Night. Forever.” Pipsqueak sadly said as he dropped off his candy before walking off only to be stopped by the cheetah wearing a golden fur and brown spotted leopard costume placed a stopping paw on his chest.

"Not so fast." She said to him leaving him confused with why he should but just before he could walk off a deep familiar booming voice is heard.

“Citizens of Ponyville! You were wise to bring this candy to me. I am pleased with your offering. So pleased that I may just eat it... instead of eating you!” Nightmare Moon in the flesh and voice appeared before everyone as all of the children all scream before turning back into her original appearance as Princess Luna.

“I am not certain that did what you meant for it to do, Twilight Sparkle.” Luna voiced her uncertainty as she spit out the fake teeth.

“Just wait.” Twilight assured.

“For what?” Luna asked as she stepped down from the pedestal. “For... for them to scream some more?”

“Um... Princess Luna.” Pipsqueak asked as she tugged on the princess’s mane to get her attention as she and Mtoto appear before her. “I know there's not gonna be any more Nightmare Night, but do you suppose maybe you could come back next year and scare us again anyway?”

“Child. Art thou saying that thou... likest me to scare you?” Luna replied in surprise along with seeing the other children just as eager and wanting the same too.

“It's really fun! Scary, but fun!” Mtoto happily replied.

“It... is?”

“Yeah! Nightmare Night is my favorite night of the year.” Pipsqueak added in delight to which sparked a smile in the princess’s heart and smile.

“Well then. We shall have to bring…” She then said in her royal Canterlot voice. “Nightmare Night back!”

The force of the voice slightly pushed the two back as Mtoto had his body planted in the ground to keep them from sliding more than a few inches.

“Whoa! You're my favorite princess ever!” Pipsqueak felt very pleased as he ran over and wrapped his arms around her hooves.

“Mine too! She said yes, guys!” The happy elephant said to the other’s as they all cheer pleased just as Twilight and Kyoga walk up to the princess.

“See? They really do like you, princess.” The unicorn said to her.

“Can it be true?” Luna was still touched to the core seeing and feeling what she has never in a thousand years. “Oh, most wonderful of…” She expressed her delight in her royal Canterlot voice before quickly correcting herself. “I mean... Oh, most wonderful of nights.”


With Nightmare Night back on and with the Guard’s help in cleaning up the mess in the aftermath of the princess’s earlier outburst, everyone was all back to having fun together.

During the celebration, Princess Luna was also having fun as she continued playing the spider toss game as Pipsqueak and Mtoto along with their friends come over to give her candy as thanks for bringing the holiday back to them. During which she pulled a playful scare from the apple bob bucket as she surprised a pony wearing a mouse costume who fell back at first before laughing it off finding it funny as the princess munched on an apple. Even Fluttershy, after some encouragement was able to get in on the fun and started to overcome her fear over the holiday.

All while this was happening Twilight took the time to compose a friendship letter to the princess about it.

“Dear Princess Celestia,

When you first sent me to Ponyville, I didn't know anything about friendship. I met somepony tonight who was having the same problem -- your sister, Princess Luna! She taught me that one of the best things you can do with friendship is to give it to others, and help them find it themselves! And I'm happy to report that all of Ponyville has learned that even if somepony seems a little intimidating, even scary, when you offer them your friendship, you'll discover a whole new pony underneath. And even if my Star Swirl the Bearded costume didn't go over, this still turned out to be the best Nightmare Night ever!”

“It sure was!” Kion agreed as he placed a paw on her back to congratulate her for what she and Kyoga did tonight. “Well done you two!”

“Thanks!” Kyoga returned just as Fuli came to greet them just as Rainbow Dash eager for payback and to be able to prank Twilight attempts to strike lightning at the three of them…only to be greeted by a powerful shock herself which sent the Pegasus screaming and flying away.

The two leaders turned to Kyoga who shakes her head to let them know it wasn’t her this time as Princess Luna on a nearby dark cloud from behind reveals herself as the one who actually did it as she lowered down to the ground at winked at the three to let them know she has their back now before the five all share a happy laugh together.

“And well done, princess!” Kyoga feeling pleased with seeing the prankster pony getting what was coming to her in the end.

“Sure must quite be a shock there.” Spike commented.

"Sure is." Fuli couldn't agree more before turning to the princess. "And thanks Princess Luna. I really owe for finally getting her off my back because it sure is hard to trick or treat and dodge Rainbow's lightning bolts at the same time."

"You're welcome." Luna warmly returned. "And thanks for helping me."

"No problem!" She thought nothing of it. "Even with Rainbow trying to prank me back I wouldn't miss helping a friend in need. Even if I have to bolt around a bit." She added feeling pleased she evaded the prankster's radar once again before sharing another hearty laugh with the others together as they all enjoy the rest of their night together.

Author's Note:

For this episode, Princess Luna gets her turn in the spotlight as she makes her return to Ponyville in time for Nightmare Night.

Although her timing and being a fish out of water for thousand years did little to help her case to the point Twilight and Kyoga stepped in to help her fit in more but not without having to deal with many obstacles throughout the night that led to the holiday nearly being canceled as a result.

Added things to adjust was added reason for Fluttershy's dislike of the holiday along with Rarity's appearance in the episode with everything working out in the end.

Next up is "Sisterhooves Social." where Rarity and Sweetie Belle's sibling relationship is the focus in this upcoming episode.

PreviousChapters Next