• Published 13th Mar 2021
  • 4,194 Views, 100 Comments

The Pony Guard (Season 2) - MXCDarkHorse2020



As both the Lion and Pony Guard continue to protect the Pride Lands along with Equestria they face bigger challenges than before with their friendship tested more than ever.

  • ...
4
 100
 4,194

PreviousChapters Next
Episode 28: The Trail to Udugu

Episode 28:

The Trail to Udugu

On a quiet day in the Pride Lands, Kiara is currently sniffing for something and trying to pick up someone’s scent. She sniffed it to a large rock in front of her and detects that her target is right on the other side. At the same time Twilight is currently using her magic to scan around for her target before making her way through the rocks up to the large rock as well.

“I’ve got this!” Twilight voiced with confidence.

“Now I got ya.” Kiara said before quickly appearing on the other side of the rock to tackle her target, her younger brother Kion with Twilight already there barely dodging her in time and entrapping the two siblings with her.

“Impressive, Kiara.” Twilight complimented. “You almost had me in the end.”

“Sorry, couldn't help myself.” Kiara chuckled knowing that targeting one of the two opened the door for the other before Twilight let the two siblings go.

“How'd you find me?” Kion asked.

“Mom's been teaching me how to track by scent.” Kiara answered. “Pretty good, huh?”

“Or pretty lucky!” Kion playfully downplayed it before tackling his sister in a friendly tussle while Twilight giggles in their direction.

Above her, Simba, Nala, Princess Celestia, and Princess Luna are all proudly watching and observing the three’s little training session together.

“She's never found him that quickly before.” Simba noted to Nala of their daughter’s progress.

“Her tracking skills are improving.“ Nala added. “Just as much as Twilight’s magic has improven.”

“Indeed.” Luna said in agreement while turning to her sister. “Your student has shown great reflexes and perfect reaction to her surroundings.”

“She sure has.” Celestia sees that too with a nod. “And they all are evenly matched.”

“And that means they're ready. Today's the day.” Nala voiced of what this means before they all make their way over to the three.

“Ha! Missed again.” Kiara said to her brother while trying to tackle each other to the ground until Nala cleared her throat to get her attention.

“Mom! Dad! I caught him faster than ever this time.” Kiara cheerifully announced.

“Only because I let you.” Kion protested.

“Oh, yeah? You gonna "let" me pin you, too?” Kiara playfully challenged preparing for another tussle until Twilight used her magic to separate them with a forced smile just as Simba gets in between his children.

“Okay, okay. That's enough, you two.” Simba encouraged his children while placing a stopping paw on his son before giving his daughter a disapproving look for when she blew a raspberry at Kion.

“I have a surprise for you.” Nala then told her children. “You're both coming with me on the Trail to Udugu.”

“The Trail to Udugu?” Kiara questioned in confusion while glancing to her brother if she knows what it means.

“Where's Udugu? I've never heard of it.” Kion also asked since he too has no idea what it is.

“Is it in the Pride Lands?” Kiara asked.

“You'll see.” Nala returned with a light chuckle when Simba explains its importance to them.

“Taking the Trail to Udugu is an important part of growing up in the royal family.”

“And all royal siblings make the journey when they're ready.” Nala added.

“Did you go on it, Dad?” Kiara asked her father.

“I never had the chance. I don't have a brother or sister.” Simba honestly answered before turning to his son. “And don't worry about your Lion Guard duties, Kion. While you're gone, I will be leading the Guard.”

“You will?” Kion asked in a rather surprised tone.

“Really?” Twilight asked with a quirked eyebrow.

“Perhaps your friends could learn a thing or two from their King.” Simba returned certain it will go through no problem.

“Along with one of their princesses.” The white alicorn added while turning to her student. “Because Princess Luna will be also be taking over leading the Guard in your absence.”

“What?! Why?!” Twilight questioned rather taken aback with her ears drooping in utter shock while Luna takes it in stride. “I mean…” She tried correcting herself before she could ramble, tear up, and break down from her sudden hurt feelings. “…Not saying that no one else is capable of doing it but with all due respect but why me too? I thought we were past the Smarty Pants incident.”

“Twilight…” Her teacher calmly assured while getting her to look at her in the eyes. “…this has nothing to do with that and it’s not because you did anything wrong.”

“Really?” She asked feeling slightly relieved.

“The reason why my sister will be taking over your position is because we need you to join both Kion and Kiara on the trip to the Trail to Udugu.” Celestia further explained.

“Huh?” Twilight replied still confused while turning to the two adult lions. “And you’re both okay with this?”

“Of course, Twilight.” Simba answered. “Since both Kion and Kiara have both bonded more closely together because of you. We think it’d be very fitting for the pony who’s helped them this far to accompany them on this journey.”

“Oh, okay.” Twilight understands now while both Kion and Kiara both surprised that she would be asked to accompany them acknowledge with how true it is while turning to the night monarch. “And I know for a fact that the girls will be more than happy to hear that you’ll be leading the Guard, Princess.”

“I’m sure it be a learning experience they shall never forget.” Luna replied with a nod that she is looking forward to it.

“I know Bunga will love it.” Kion added.


So with that said, both Twilight and Kion head on over to the Lair of the Guard so they can rely this temporary leadership change to their team.

“Well I‘ll be willickers!” Applejack commented.

“Princess Luna?”

“Simba?”

“Their Royal Highness's?”

“Leading the Lion and Pony Guard?”

Fluttershy, Fuli, Ono, and Beshte all voiced their surprise hearing this.

“Cool!”

“Un-Bunga-lievable!”

Both Pinkie and Bunga voiced their excitement to this.

“Don't get too used to them.” Twilight reminded them as it is only for a day.

“See you when we’re back from Udugu.” Kion told the team before leaving with Twilight following after him.

“Good luck.”

“Take care, Twilight.”

“Bye, Kion!”

“See ya later!”

“Bye.”

“Be safe, darlings.”

“See you soon!”

“Have fun!”

“Tell us all about it when you get back!”

“See you soon!”

Beshte, Applejack, Bunga, Pinkie, Fuli, Rarity, Ono, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, and Kyoga in that order wish them luck.

“Poa! The King, Princess, and us!” Beshte was the first to express his excitement.

“This is should be fun!” Rainbow was also excited to the point she was flapping her wings.

“It’s a huge honor!” Rarity expressed rather more nervously.

“I'm not worried.” Fuli shrugged it off while resting her paws on top of a nearby boulder. “Our king is just like Kion, but bigger.”

“And believe me when I tell you since I know Princess Luna very well.” Kyoga adopted the same mental mindset.

“How can you be so calm? Both the king and princess could be here any moment.” Ono voiced rather frantically to which Rarity gasped upon seeing something that Ono also didn’t like.

“My feathers! I need to clean up.” Ono panicked before doing so with his beak.

“And I need to pretty myself up.” Rarity also was quick to put on some makeup.

“Hapana! The whole lair's a mess!” Ono exclaimed upon seeing the weeds and vegetation inside.

“Already on it!” Rarity quickly went over with a pair of hedge clippers to take care of that.

“Apparently I didn’t do a good job and trimming them down well enough.” Applejack voiced rather annoyed and sarcastically while shaking her head but letting it slide while Fuli, Rainbow, Pinkie, and Bunga share a shrug together at the two getting all crazy over a one day thing.

“Even when she’s gone a part of her still lies within the team.” Kyoga quietly said to herself before Bunga and Pinkie decide to cheer their anxious friends up.

“It’ll be okay, Rarity!” Pinkie cheerifully assured. “We’ve meet the king and the princesses before. Surely a day on patrol with them be a piece of cake.”

“Exactly!” Bunga agreed. “I know Simba pretty well. And you've got nothing to worry about. Let me tell ya what he's like.”

When You're Running With the King

By the time Bunga was done singing his praises of the lion king to the sky, he along with the dark-colored alicorn princess have both arrived.

“That’s pretty good although…” Pinkie said while styling her mane to Luna’s similar to when Bunga styled his hair into Simba’s style. “…If thou were here, she thou command thee to follow my lead and fly right.” She stated while shouting loudly but not as long as the royal Canterlot voice but enough to create in echo inside the lair.

“Ahem.” Simba addressed the honey badger clearly unamused by their antics.

“Is that supposed to me?” Luna stoically and sternly asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Oh...Hey there, Simba, Luna.” Bunga along with Pinkie greeted with a nervous chuckle before remembering their manners to royalty. “Um, uh, Your Highnesses.”

“Greetings.”

“Sir. Ma’am.”

“Your Majesty.”

Rarity, Ono, Fuli, and Beshte greeted while they along with the rest of the girls bow before them.

“Greetings, Pony Guard.” Luna returned while still eyeing at Pinkie Pie sternly.

“Hello, Lion Guard.” Simba also returned the greeting. “I will admit, Bunga did get one thing right in his... ...performance.”

“The way you walk? Your smile? Your fabulously groomed mane?” Bunga eagerly guessed.

“Uh, no.” Simba shook his head much to his surprise. “I am excited to lead the Lion Guard along with Princess Luna.”

“And I look forward to the wondrous opportunity to get to know you more along with more of my fellow subjects.” Luna added rather stoically.

“Now, first things first. Are we ready for morning patrol?” Simba then asked everyone.

“Yes, sir!”

“Yes, ma’am!”

“Definitely!”

“Ready!”

“So am I.”

“Me too.”

“We’re right behind you!”

“Of course!”

“Affirmative! Uh... Your Majesty.”

Beshte, Pinkie, Fuli, Rainbow, Bunga, Fluttershy, Kyoga, Rarity, and Ono voiced that they are ready.

“Then let's move out.” Simba declared. “Lion Guard, follow me.”

“Let’s go, Pony Guard!” Luna also declared before leading their team out of the lair.

“You heard him, let's go!” Bunga urged the team to follow them before being the first to follow after them.

“In case you’re wondering, I was just doing an impression.” Pinkie said to the night monarch with a nervous grin.

“I understand, but I still did not think that was funny.” Luna unimpressed told her without a change in expression before pressing forward while the pink pony looks aside rather embarrassed while the other girls chuckle finding it admittedly funny.


Meanwhile Nala and Celestia are both leading the way while taking Kion, Kiara, and Twilight to the trail of Udugu.

“This is nice. It's been so long since the five of us have spent some time together.” Nala expressed very pleased with this quality time together.

“It sure is.” Celestia agreed.

“What do you think's waiting for us in Udugu?“ Kion wondered.

“Maybe a bunch of animals who want to meet their future Queen...” Kiara guessed. “…And her little brother.” She added with a smug smirk in the prince’s direction.

“"Little brother?"” Kion took offense to that remark. “I'm leader of the Lion Guard! If they'd wanna meet anyone, it's me.”

“We'll see about that.” Kiara responded without a change in expression. “Race ya!” She then challenged while getting a head start.

“You're gonna lose. I run with Fuli every day.” Kion returned before being quick to join by her sister’s side while running ahead of the others who express silent disagreement with their stance coming into this journey.

“I'll get to Udugu first!” Kion declared.

“Oh, no, you won't!” Kiara returned before tugging on his tail before tackling him to the ground to which Twilight just sighs with still smiling and continuing to walk alongside with their mother and her mentor.

“You two could compete over anything, couldn't you?” Nala commented with a knowing smile.

“Yes!” They both agreed with the lioness throwing a cheap slap on her brother’s face with his back turned.

“Does this remind you of anything?” Celestia asked her student who tries hard not to think about it.

“Only too well.” She vaguely and honestly answered yet wishes not to go into it more to which her mentor understands why for both reasons. Herself and Twilight when it comes to their siblings.

“At least you agree on that.” Nala said to the two before pressing forward. “Come on. We have a long way to go.”

While the two cubs follow after their mother, Twilight took the time to have a quick private word with the princess and queen while getting ahead the cubs.

“If I may your majesties, I know why you want me to accompany them on this journey. But between you and me why am I needed on a journey for siblings to work together?”

“Because since you’ve been coming out on top whenever you three have a sparring match together. It makes perfect sense the one to keep them working together.” Nala gently answered.

“Okay.” Twilight nodded.

“Now since you know teamwork very well, here what we want you to do…” Celestia then began giving her instructions while leaning her ear so she can whisper it to her to which she nods and responds yes in further understanding.


Meanwhile the Guard is out on patrol where they come to a fork in the middle of the tall grass path.

“Uh, Your Majesty?” Ono stammered while addressing their king seeking to go to the left.

“Yes, Ono?” Simba returned.

“Well, it's not a big deal... But, uh...” Fluttershy too stammered a little until Applejack stopped her from hurting herself by placing calming hooves on her shoulders.

“Easy there, sugarcube.” Applejack told her before turning to the lion king. “What both Ono and Fluttershy are both trying to say is that on morning patrol, Kion and Twilight usually goes this way.”

“Is that so?“ Simba noticed the path Fuli gestured him towards. “And is Kion here?” He then questioned slightly serious and rather darkly as if they are questioning his leadership.

“No, sir.” Beshte honestly answered.

“It’s just we think this is the best way of doing the routine that we are usually accustomed to.” Kyoga gently suggested.

“Maybe we should listen to them.” Luna also attempted to advise the red-maned lion.

“Nonsense.” Simba dismissed it. “So what if we go a different way for a change? What’s the harm in that?”

“That’s right what is the harm in that?” Bunga agreed without hesitation before going down the path on the left of the fork. “You heard the King. We'll go this way for a change. It'll be fun.”

“Yes. "Fun."” Simba felt pleased while the Lion Guard reluctantly follows after him.

“Should we say something to him?” Applejack asked Princess Luna who shook her head in response.

“No, it’ll be okay.” She told the Pony Guard along with Kyoga who decided to stay. “We’ll go the way Twilight and Kion usually go down and let the king go his way.”

“Well at least they’ll cover more ground that way.” Rainbow commented looking on the bright side of it.

“Or maybe our king doesn’t quite understand of what teamwork is all about?” Kyoga voiced her worries of how this might affect their job in the long run.

“I just hope that doesn’t come back to bite us in the flank.” Kyoga whispered to Luna who nods while understanding her concerns before leading the Pony Guard the way Kion and Twilight usually go down. Question is who’s way is truly the right one.


Elsewhere, the five travelers are currently making their way through the canyon where the royal siblings are both really excited to get there.

“Mom, how much longer will it take to get to Udugu?” Kion asked.

“That's a tough question. Udugu isn't easy to find.” Nala merely replied to which Twilight nodded in agreement.

“Don't worry, I'll find it.” Kiara remained certain otherwise. “I'm a better tracker than you.” She added while taking a moment to address her brother in pride.

“We'll see about that!” Kion returned determined to show her up before the two engage in another playful competition while circling around the others. “You really think you can find Udugu before me?” He asked before they ran off ahead.

“Just watch me.” Kiara replied while rushing ahead to keep up with him.

“Kion, Kiara, be careful!” Nala cautioned them, only her warning came a little late to when they ended up both nearly falling down the cliff ahead of them.

“I got you.” Twilight assured them before working her magic in levitating them up the hill.

“Thanks.”

“Thanks, Twilight.”

“That is definitely not the way to find Udugu” Nala told them slightly disappointed with their approach that nearly sent over the hill which left the two siblings confused while turning to Twilight.

She simply shrugged in response before continuing to follow both Nala and Celestia.


Back in the Pride Lands, both parties have covered separate ground since Simba led the Lion Guard his way, while Luna led the Pony Guard in the way Kion and Twilight usually go. Since Ono is with the Lion Guard, both Rainbow and Fluttershy both serve as the eyes in the sky.

“Oh no!” Fluttershy gasped where Rainbow looks down below and sees the problem brewing before turning to to the others.

“Princess!” Rainbow reported to the night monarch.

“What is it, Rainbow Dash!” She asked.

“Mud slide! Straight ahead!” Rainbow directed the ponies and Kyoga’s attention to said mud slide heading down the cliff. “And the mud's headed right for the ostrich herd's nest! If we don't move fast, the mud will sweep the eggs off the cliff!”

“Then we’ll have to act fast.” Luna declared before turning to the other ponies. “Rainbow Dash, divert the herd away from the hill. Fluttershy, retrieve the eggs.”

“You got it, Princess!” Rainbow saluted before she and Fluttershy fly downwards to do so.

“What should we do?” Applejack asked.

“For now stand by while I fly over and make sure it goes as planned.” Luna answered. “Be ready to move in to help should something arise.”

“Will do, princess!” Applejack nodded while she and the others watch the dark blue alicorn princess fly down to oversee the peagsus pony’s progress. “So far so good.”

“Clearly she knows what she is doing.” Rarity remarked feeling very confident following her lead.

The Lion Guard however didn’t have that luxury since Simba has a different style of leadership of wanting everyone to follow to do what he does without properly utilizing the other’s skills. And that proved to be a hindrance when he has the Guard jump rock to rock after him while he moves a nearby log to divert the mud away from the nest.

Even though Beshte would run through the mud, he is left with little choice but to follow his orders. And predictably he winds up collecting the others in the process.

Fortunately for them, Princess Luna quickly spotted them and worked her magic to cease their falling.

“Applejack, quick! Catch!” She called out to the farm pony to catch who reacted quickly when the princess sends Fuli, Bunga, and Ono their way with her lasso. “Pinkie Pie, slide on over to give them a boost!”

“Yes ma’am!” She saluted before sliding down the slope. “Wheee!”

Pinkie leaped on over side from side while flinging each Lion Guard member up towards Applejack’s direction who pulls them to safety one by one with Rarity backing her up with the pulling.

“Oh, ooh.” Rarity whined from having to touch mud. “Hang on girls!”

Thanks to the Pony Guard, the Lion Guard, the ostrichs, and their eggs are all safe.

“Is everyone okay?” Luna asked everyone.

“Yes, your majesty.”

“Affimative.”

“Yep.”

“Yeah.”

The four all nodded to confirm it.

“Ostriches, your eggs are safe.” Simba then said to them with Rainbow and Fluttershy with the latter securing them.

“Thank you, Your Majesties.” The ostrich leader gratefully thanked them. “Thank you. To think our eggs were personally saved by the King and the Princess! What an honor!”

“You’re welcome, Mbuni.” The blue maned alicorn princess humbly returned. “Although I can’t take all of the credit because we did have some help.” She added turning to the others to make sure they are given their proper dues.

“Excellent work, Lion Guard, Pony Guard.” Simba then said to the others feeling proud of their accomplishment before heading out ahead while leaving the others with rather perplexed feelings about Simba’s leadership.


Elsewhere, the five travelers have arrived at a thorn bush where Nala is ready to put her children’s skills to the test.

“Is this really the trail to Udugu?” Kion asked.

“It is.” She confirmed.

“If you tell us where Udugu is, I bet I can find an easier path.” Her daughter offered.

“There is no easy path to Udugu.”She repeated. “But there is a way to get through all these thorns without a scratch.” She demonstrated by holding up one of the branches for them to get to the center without getting pricked. “See?”

“Yeah! I can crawl under the branches to get through the thorns.” Kion said while doing so but not without having to squeeze his way through and still getting pricked.

“That wasn't exactly what I meant.” His mother pointed out.

“Of course not.” Kiara smugly responded. “Over the thorns is the way to go.”

And of of course that is met with similar results albeit slightly more painful.

“Ouch.” Twilight cringed at the sight of the pain they are putting themselves through.

“I don't think either of you is understanding me.” Nala told them they once again got it wrong.

“What's wrong, Kiara? Isn't your...plan working?”

“I'm... Ow! ... fine. I know exactly... what I'm doing.”

The two traded at each other while releasing grunts and yelps of pain along the way.

“I hope they make it.” Celestia said with a chuckle.

“Me too.” Twilight added. “I don’t know how they expect to tackle this challenge way.”

“And that’s where you come in Twilight.” Celestia encouraged her to help them.

“You know what to do?” Nala asked to make sure what she needs to teach them.

“Yes I do.” She nodded before seeing them retreat to a nearby boulder out of the cub’s sight while she herself teleports inside of the middle of the thorn bush to try to help guide them.

“This is definitely... the right way, Kiara. I'm almost through!” Kion called out to his sister while still going under.

“And I'm almost at the branch. After that it'll be... easy!” Kiara returned before turning around. “Right, Mom? Mom?”

“Mom?” Kion called out finding out along with Kiara that she isn’t around… nor is Princess Celestia.

“Celestia?” Twilight called out in slight panic when she appeared in the middle of the thorn bushes with both Kion and Kiara.

“Mom?” Both siblings called out to them while she watches from out of their sight.

“Now they're truly on the Trail to Udugu.” Nala whispered to Celestia who shares a wink with her student who returns it before pretending to act like she can’t find them.


Meanwhile in the Pride Lands, Simba still is thrilled with the work they have done and is very eager for what’s come to next. But the other’s on the other hand still can’t help but question his leadership since he really didn’t properly utilize the team’s skills and had to rely on the Pony Guard’s help in saving them.

“That was so exciting.” Simba expressed. “Your first rescue with the King. I wonder what our next challenge will be. Well, let's go, Lion and Pony Guard.”

While Simba leads the way Princess Luna sticks behind to converse with the others.

“At least he's not mad at us for nearly crashing into the ostriches nest.” Beshte first brought up.

“Why should he be? It's not your fault you can't jump like a lion.” Fuli asserted it’s not his fault before raising a question mark about Simba’s method of team management. “What's the point of being a team if we're all gonna do the same thing?”

“I don’t know.” Applejack couldn’t come up with a good answer. “From the looks of it Simba doesn’t quite understand of how the team works.”

“No question about that.” Fuli bluntly responded while Bunga still remains 100% certain that he knows what he is doing.

“Fuli, he's the King! He's gotta know what he's doing... Doesn't he?”

“When it comes to a running a kingdom, yes. But in regards, to ruling a team that actively protects the Pride Lands, no.” Kyoga firmly answered with a frown.

“Maybe we just we just haven’t completely gotten the hang of a new approach.” Fluttershy suggested.

“Yes darling, Maybe we just need to do it more Simba's way?” Rarity tries to be a little more understanding of it.

“Or maybe we just need to talk him and give proper advice on teamwork.” The alicorn princess neutrally suggested. “I may be new at leading the Guard here, but I can tell that what our king has shown could portend an unimaginable catastrophe if left unchecked.”

Before anyone could voice their opinion, Ono and Rainbow flew over to the team.

“Everyone! Everyone! The gazelles...” Ono began.

“The gazelles need our help! Lion Guard and Pony Guard, follow me!” Simba then finished before leading the way.

“And that's what we were going to say...” Rainbow groaned while shaking her head before everyone else follows after them to make sure he doesn’t do anything rash.


Back nearby the thorn bushes all three have made it out although they are all looking for both Nala and Celestia.

“Mom? Mom!” She called out for her. “No sign of Mom on my side. Have you found anything? Kion? Twilight?” She called to the other two.

“Nothing over here.” Kion reported empty-pawed while he and Twilight both emerge from the bushes .

“This just doesn’t make sense?!” Twilight voiced while looking a little frantic. “How could she just disappear? Celestia! Where are you?!”

“We'll find them.” Kion assured. “We just have to keep looking. Try your side again.”

“I tried my side.” She reminded. “If she was there I'd have seen her.”

“I know, I just... I can't find her either.” Kion explained why he asked. “If we knew where this Udugu place was, maybe we could meet her there.”

“Or we could track her.” Kiara proposed.

“That’s a great idea!” Twilight already liked the idea while activating the aura on her horn at the same time Kiara started sniffing her scent out.

“Got her! She went this way.”

“Come on!”

Both girls came up with something before leading the way.

“Kiara, Twilight, look! Paw and hoof prints.” Kion directed their attention to the marks to which Twilight examined them with her magic. “They look fresh.”

“They’re a perfect match.” Twilight confirmed they have a lock on them. “We must be getting close.”

“Come on.” Kiara led the way with the others following her but not without coming across a surprise in front of them. “What? They just stop right here?”

They have all just arrived in front of small Cliffside.

“Hevi kabisa! Where did Mom and Celestia go?” Kion wondered.

“I don’t know.” Twilight could not give an answer.


Back at the ridge where the gazelles are the Lion and Pony Guard are arriving at the horizon.

“The gazelles are just over the next ridge. There!” Simba told everyone when Ono and Rainbow fly over to get a good look at them.

“Swala and the other gazelles must be looking for a route up to that grassland. But those rocks...” Ono began to report again.

“They're unstable. The rocks will fall if the gazelles jump on them. Lion Guard and Pony Guard, follow me!” Simba again finished before rushing off ahead.

“Should we remind him how easily gazelles spook when they're surprised?” Beshte asked the others.

“Nah! Simba knows what he's doing. It'll be fine.” Bunga kept placing his faith in the king’s abilities.

“No it won’t!” Rainbow said otherwise. “He’ll cause a stampede!” She pointed out before flying after him. “I’m going to stop him before he hurts himself.”

“Rainbow, Wait!” Applejack tried to call out to her but it was too late. Once Rainbow was up to top speed there was no stopping her and true to everyone’s concerns, the gazelles were quickly spoked and starting running up the Cliffside which caused a rock slide as a result of them scattering up the hill.

Fortunately for Rainbow Dash, Princess Luna was quick to fly after her and quickly whisked her out of the falling rocks path before pulling her to safety.

“Whoa!” Rainbow screamed upon being pulled away by the princess.

But Simba himself wasn’t quite so lucky because as soon as he reached the gazelles he had to immediately retreat and barely dodge rocks coming his way.

“Simba! Your Majesty? Simba!” Ono who flew in after him called for him until he came across the lion king coughing after the dust settled.

“Good to see you, Ono.” He kindly returned.

“Your Majesty!” Ono voiced very relieved that he made it out in one piece and alive. “Everyone, he's over here.”

“Are you all right?” Beshte asked when he and the others regroup with them.

“I'm okay. Just a little stuck.” Simba answered while gesturing to his tail stuck under a rock to which the other’s winced at the sight. Cat’s tails are sensitive bones and the impact from the rock landing on it’s gotta hurt.

“Ouch! That’s gotta hurt!” Rainbow commented.

“No kidding.” Kyoga added.


Back at the other cliff-side where the others are looking for both Nala and Celestia, the three are all trying to figure how their trail suddenly went cold all of a sudden while re-examining the trail they left behind.

“This can't be right. Mom couldn't just disappear.” Kion deduced.

“I don't get it. We followed her trail. How can it just end?” Kiara couldn’t understand how.

“Maybe it doesn't.” Twilight answered while directing the sibling’s attention to what’s above them. “There's a ledge and a trail. I bet both your mom and Princess Celestia jumped up there.”

“Then we will too.” Kiara smiled. “Ready?” She asked her brother who adopted the same leaping stance as her.

“Ready!” He confirmed while seeing Twilight still had something on her mind. “Twilight? Ready?”

“Yes well actually…” Twilight began.”…that ledge is quite high for a leap.” She pointed out. “I’m not sure if any of us can just leap up there.”

“If Mom and Celestia could get up there, we can too.” Kion thinks they can but his sister had a different opinion but it as if she agrees with Twilight.

“Mom's twice our size and Princess Celestia is twice her size, Kion.” Kiara pointed out. “Not to mention she can also fly and teleport at will. How can we keep tracking her if we can't jump up?”

Kion thought for a moment before he came up with an idea.

“I've got it! I'll give you two a boost, then you can keep tracking her.”

“But what about you?” Kiara pointed out he’ll left behind and down.

“One of us has to boost the other, and the truth is... you two are the better trackers.” Kion reasoned.

“I won't argue that.” Twilight didn’t deny it.

“Though you're the one who saw the tracks and figured out Mom jumped.” Kiara pointed out to her brother.

“We all make a good team. And that's how we'll find Mom and Celestia, by working together.” Kion voiced they got this to which Twilight smiles and nods in approval of the plan.

“Then that’s what we’ll do.” Twilight vowed before helping Kiara up while Kion helps her up.

“Now up you go.” Kion told the girls with her sister starting to struggle and lose her balance until Twilight quickly placed a hoof on her back to keep her from falling while Kion steadied his balance to keep them both from falling onto him. “I gotcha! Hang on.”

“Come on Kiara, you got this!” Twilight encouraged while managing to help her reach and climb up the ledge.

“Okay Twilight, now you.” She told the unicorn who then reached out towards the ledge.

She struggled a little while grunting just to get a grip on the ledge before managing to pull her weight up.

“Okay, now you.” Twilight returned to Kion who had Kiara hold onto her back hooves so she can pull him up the ledge. “Come on, just a little closer.” She told Kiara with both Kion and Twilight’s paws and hooves are on the verge of touching each other.

“How's that?” He asked while lifting himself up the ledge to give himself a little boost.

“I think we’re gonna make it.” Twilight said while straining a little while trying to reach out to Kion until they managed to lock hooves and paws together “Yes!”

By holding on both girls were able to pull Kion up the ledge.

“Yes!”

“We did it!”

“We’re up top!”

The three cheered while sharing a high-five together. But when they turned around and opened their eyes they saw a surprising sight.

“I don't believe it.”

“Oh my…”

Both girls expressed.

“Kiara, Twilight what's going on?” Kion inquired before seeing the seemingly two disappeared figures both reappearing right in front of them.

“Hello.” Nala greeted.

“And congratulations.” Celestia added.

“Mom! Princess Celestia!” Kion smiled before embracing her. “Mom, why did you and the princess both disappear? I thought you were gonna show us the way to Udugu.”

“Actually, I think you've already found Udugu.” Celestia pointed out.

“We have?” Kiara asked before they all leaped down from the ledge.

“Is it that big rock?” Kion asked before noticing Twilight smiling in satisfaction.

“No, Kion.” Nala answered before explaining it to them. “You see, kids, Udugu isn't a place. Udugu is another word for kinship. It's the special bond between siblings. You found Udugu when you decided to work together to look for me.”

“We did?” Kion asked before turning to Twilight. “And you were in on it?”

“I was.” She confirmed. “Because you both needed a little push in the right direction and upon your mother and the princess’s request I joined in on the little action.”

“So you knew this whole time?” Kion again asked Twilight now surprised at this revelation.

“Yes.”

“And you were pretending to freak out back there?” Kiara also inquired.

“Yes.”

“Why that is…” Kion began rather baffled that she would trick them like that before realizing. “…actually quite brilliant.”

“It was…” Twilight replied while turning to her mentor. “…and I learned it from the best.”

“She sure did.” Celestia praised her student while turning to the royal siblings. “And we are both proud of you three.”

The two siblings exchange a happy smile with each other along with Twilight in understanding.


Back in the Pride Lands, Princess Luna has worked her magic in lifting up the boulder trapping Simba’s tail. Luckily for him, there was no damage done to his tail bone.

“Un-Bunga-lievable! You're one lucky lion. You could have gotten smushed.” Bunga complimented.

“You could have gotten killed!.” Pinkie added and pointed out.

“Yes, thanks.” Simba sarcastically remarked. “I really needed to hear that.”

“You certainly did.” Luna bluntly told the lion king. “Because you really didn’t do thou much favors by charging ahead like that.”

“But I was just trying to help them.” Simba defended.

“I understand but that ended up doing more harm than good.” Luna still lectured firmly yet understanding. “I may too be learning how to work with the Guard but if there’s one thing I’m certain about this young group of saviors is that they work as a team. Whatever they do to protect both our kingdoms is done together as a team approach.”

“But how were you able to lead the Guard more efficiently back at the ostrich’s nest from earlier when I nearly created a mess back there?”

“Because I know Twilight and she too knows of how to delegate tasks to the others so that everypony does their part to help out while playing to their strengths. A skill that a princess such as myself learned when I needed something to get done when I can’t do it myself. ” Luna answered taking into account the Mane Five’s strengths and weaknesses.

“Is that so…” Simba replied rather speechless than the last time he said it.

At that moment they heard more cries for help to which Ono and Rainbow were quick to fly up to find the source of the commotion. It’s both the herd of gazelles running ahead straight towards the ostriches all panicking and running circles around their eggs.

“Hapana! It's... Oh, uh...” Ono began then stumbled.

“Well? It's what?” Simba inquired.

“Sorry. I thought you were going to say it.” He apologized before continuing. “The gazelles! They're stampeding straight for the ostriches and their nest!”

“Bad day to be an ostrich egg.” Fuli commented to the others.

“Eeyup.” Applejack nodded.

“Your Majesty, what do we do?” Beshte asked turning to the lion king.

“We have to stop the gazelles.” Simba answered.

“How?” Rarity asked. “That hill is much too unstable to climb and the gazelles are already closing in on the ostriches!”

“Well…” Simba began before coming up empty on instructions this time around.

Sure he managed to get out unharmed, but required the Princess’s help in getting unstuck and his approach is what nearly created the mess with the ostriches along with what got him into the predicament in the first.

“Simba? Is everything all right?” Luna inquired.

“Because you look like you don’t know what to do.” Fluttershy added. “Is everything okay.”

“That’s because I’ve been thinking.” Simba answered with a reality check in mind. “All day I've been telling the Lion and Pony Guard to follow me, and do what I do. But that's not how your team works.”

“Nope.” Kyoga blankly answered.

“Anyways so tell me.” Simba then took Luna’s advice. “If I were Kion and Twilight, how would you handle this?”

“We'd split up.” Fuli answered. “Ono, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Beshte would go after the herd. Fluttershy, Kyoga, Pinkie, Bunga, and I would calm the ostriches down.”

“Then those are my orders.” Simba told them of what to do from there.

“Wait, wait, wait, wait! There's one more thing Kion and Twilight would do. Right?” Bunga brought up.

“Yes there is!” Pinkie agreed while widely grinning at the lion king along with the alicorn princess to do it.

“All right.” She relented with a smile before they both started their signature battle cry together.

“Till the Pride Lands and Equestria’s end...”

“Lion and Pony Guard defend!”

Princess Luna quickly teleported everyone to where the ostriches are panicking and running around before the two parties split up to carry out their tasks.

“We’ll calm the ostriches. You talk to the gazelles.” Fuli told the egret from above.

“Affirmative!” Ono quickly saluted. “Just remember, be soft and soothing like Fluttershy.”

“Got it!” Fuli replied before speeding ahead to where the ostriches are running circles around their nest with Fluttershy quick to try to take action.

“Um, ostriches! Ostriches! Ostriches!” Fluttershy softly tried to get their attention to no avail.

With time at the essence here, Fuli decided a more assertive and louder approach.

“Quiet!” She shouted to which got them all to stop and freeze in their tracks when Luna flies in to flap a gust of wind their direction to make sure they stop while using her magic to keep the eggs in their nest. “That's better.”

“And very well done.” Luna gave the cheetah a nod of respect for her assertive shout out.

“I’ll say.” Fluttershy responded with a surprised smile that actually worked.

At the same time, Applejack, Kyoga, and Pinkie Pie are both running circles to slow the herds down while Rainbow Dash flies over to the herd’s leader to try to talk to her.

“Excuse me? Hello? Swala, gazelles?” Ono tried to get their attention without further spooking them.

“What's that, Ono? Can't hear you.” Swala returned not understanding what she had just said to which Rainbow was quick to try her way instead.

“Slow down!” She shouted which got stopped everyone in their tracks allowing time for the others along with Simba to intercept and round them up.

“Whoa there partner!”

“Easy does it there!”

“Calm down!”

“It’s okay, you’re safe!”

The three girls along with Beshte said to the gazelles.

“Thank you.” Rainbow then calmly said feeling satisfied in stopping them.

“Sorry about that.” Swala apologized. “Anyways what were you saying, Ono?”

“Uh, never mind.” He answered to state that is all.

“Everyone all right?” Simba asked everyone who all nodded their heads to confirm it.

“Very good.” Luna added feeling pleased to hear that before guiding the gazelles back to their home.

“That was weird.” Fluttershy still could not believe being more loud and assertive actually did the job. “How'd you calm the ostriches?” She asked the cheetah.

“Soft and soothing. Just like you said.” She returned somewhat sarcastically to the butter-creamed peagsus pony.

“Really? That’s funny because they required a little shouting to get their attention.” Rainbow pointed out to which both the fastest members of team grinned hearing this before sharing a high five together.

“I would have never guessed that.” Ono remarked still finding it hard to believe that too before regrouping with Simba who just got done speaking with the ostriches to make sure they are okay before seeing them off.

“Nice job, everyone. Both the gazelles and ostriches are safe.” Applejack complimented everyone.

“That's because you did it your way.” Simba pointed out. “Kion and Twilight would be proud of you. And so am I.”

“Me too.” Luna added while regrouping with everyone. “You showed great improvement in one day during your temporary lead of the Guard. And I know for a fact that Celestia would be proud too.”

Hearing that left Simba smiling seeing that he learned a very valuable lesson today before they all made their way back to Pride Rock where the others have returned from their trip.


“So, everyone, how was your journey? Did you find Udugu?” Simba asked his children.

“We found it. But it's not really a place.”

“It's about us working together as brother and sister. As a team.”

Both siblings answered.

“How did things go with the Guard?” Twilight asked both Luna and Simba.

“Well, in a way, the Guard along with Princess Luna helped me find Udugu, too.” Simba admitted he too learned more about proper teamwork.

“But in the end we both managed to protect the Pride Lands in your absence.” Luna added. “And I do have to admit it was kind of fun being able swoop in save the day for once. We’ll have to arrange for me come on patrol more often.”

“Well just let me know of when you have off next and we can do it sometime soon.” Twilight was more than happy to be open to the idea.

“Udugu is an important lesson.” Celestia warmly said to everyone.

“It is, especially for you two.” Simba agreed before leading everyone to the edge of Pride Rock where the seven all stand side by side looking over the terrain of the Pride Lands. “And as Queen of the Pride Lands and leader of the Lion Guard, someday you will be responsible for all of this.” Simba then said to his children while Celestia secretly eyes Twilight with the similar thoughts in mind for her.

“So hold on to what you learned today. Then you'll always have Udugu.” Nala urged them to remember that going forward because in the end teamwork proves crucial to victory even when things are looking bleak...

...All while being watched by Scar from one of the hidden trees with Pride Rock on the horizon.

"We shall see about that Simba because I too have my sights on this kingdom as well as your precious kingdom of Equestria. And soon all of both of these kingdoms will be mine." Scar vowed with a sinister smile before teleporting away unnoticed.

Author's Note:

For this episode it took me a little while to figure how to make this work before deciding on two decisions in that regard.

First off, Twilight accompanying both Kion and Kiara on the journey with Nala and Princess Celestia mainly for the reason for the fact the three work well together. And the fact that Twilight is the heart and glue that got the two siblings closer and friendlier than before.

Having said that, she is the pony for the job of encouraging the two to work together more taking in Celestia's stealth advice and Nala's instructions to give them a little push in that direction.

Then there is the Lion and Pony Guard being led by Simba and Princess Luna with the latter being more successful at managing leading the Guard that Simba considering with how his ways of leadership turned out. The reason why is because even though she is new at leading the Guard she has a better understanding with how teamwork works because of the time she spent with Twilight and Kyoga and that she hows to focus others to play to their strengths.

It wasn't until nearly getting crushed by a rock-slide that he ended causing by accident does he start leading the Guard which comes crucial when both the ostriches and gazelles nearly collide together. But the Guard was able to avert the crisis before it could even begin with a very valuable lesson on teamwork coming into play today.

Next up is "Putting Your Hoof Down." where Fluttershy and Ono get pointers on learning of how to be properly assertive.

PreviousChapters Next