• Published 13th Dec 2020
  • 469 Views, 13 Comments

Won't Drown - The Red Parade



Meadowbrook won't drown. No matter what happens.

  • ...
4
 13
 469

Queen of Liars

There was a peaceful whisper in the air tonight. It was singing, its voice carrying in between the brooks and flowers that surrounded the castle walls. The song continued to wander, weaving its way beneath the vines and through the falling leaves of the forest, moving gracefully and freely at its own pace.

But even as the notes finally hit Meadowbrook’s ears, they still maintained their beauty and charm. The healer smiled, gently breathing in the fresh scent of the garden flowers and plant life which flourished within the Castle of the Two Sisters.

Meadowbrook trotted gently, taking a deep breath to calm herself down. She giggled, her voice soft and comforting to the dreary night, and pranced in place a few times. Perhaps it looked strange or foalish, but she didn’t mind. After all, who was around to see her?

Stifling another bout of giggles, Meadowbrook continued her journey through the sleeping garden, moving so lightly that her hooves barely seemed to grace the ground. It wasn’t long before she reached her target: a marble bench that set underneath an intricate arch, facing outwards to the small expanse of flowers ahead of it.

Meadowbrook sat down, shivering slightly from the chilled touch of the marble, but even that wasn’t enough to wipe the smile from her face. She leaned her head back and looked up at the millions of stars that stared back at her.

“And what, pray tell, do you see in the stars tonight?”

Meadowbrook’s smile grew larger at the soothing voice from behind her. “Why, I do believe I see a sign. A sign that I am no longer alone tonight.”

“I hope that isn’t problematic.” Meadowbrook slowly turned around as Somnambula entered from the shadows, a knowing smile on her face. “But come, my love. You need not look for beauty in the sky when something far more beautiful lays before me now.”

“Oh, you sure do know how to flatter me,” Meadowbrook giggled as a hue of red flushed through her face. Somnambula drew closer and leaned in. Meadowbrook closed her eyes and moved as well, their lips finding each other and their hooves embracing the other.

“It is indeed a wonderful night, my love,” Somnambula said when they pulled away. “But it is only better that I have you to spend it with.”

“And I can say the same,” Meadowbrook affirmed, shifting to her right so Somnambula could sit as well.

For a few peaceful minutes, the two sat in silence. Meadowbrook leaned gently on Somnambula’s side, and her lover draped a wing around her to welcome her. They listened as the wind continued its eulogy for the days now gone, and the crickets carried on in their nightly serenade.

On their right, the fountain Rockhoof had created was flowing, the water streaming down its side and sputtering out of the top. The sound of water was reassuring for Meadowbrook, and she could almost feel the water lapping gently against her hooves as if she were standing on a massive coastline.

“I do believe there is rain in the air,” Somnambula declared as she stared up at a few stray clouds which pockmarked the sky. “I can only hope it won’t interfere with our plans for tomorrow.”

Meadowbrook sighed, nuzzling into Somnambula’s side. “You worry too much,” she teased. “A little rain won’t drown us.”

“And they call me the Pillar of Hope,” Somnambula replied with a grin. “Truly, you put my heart at ease.”

“Is that the truth?”

Meadowbrook’s eyes shot open and she sat up straight. From the shadows ahead of them a set of armor appeared, their face still obscured from the dark. But Meadowbrook didn’t need to guess who it was.

“Magnus,” Somnambula greeted with an even voice.

“Somnambula. Meadowbrook,” Flash Magnus replied, standing stock still. “What are you doing on this dreary night, hiding away in the gardens? With each other, no less?”

Meadowbrook shot a nervous glance at Somnambula, but Somnambula held her mask. “And are we not entitled to enjoy what is rightfully ours?”

“Do not play games with me, Somnambula,” Flash snapped. “I’ve seen enough to know what you’re doing. And frankly I’m shocked I didn’t realize it sooner.” The pegasus trotted forth, his stern scowl finally highlighted by the moonlight. “Do you truly think you can hide this away from Starswirl forever?”

“Why should we care what Starswirl thinks?” cried Meadowbrook, seizing Somnambula’s hoof in her own. “We love each other! Is that not enough?”

“If you wish to remain here, then it is too much!” snapped Flash, pointing an accusatory hoof at them. “You know very well that Starswirl has forbidden us to love.”

“And what of our love for our home? Our fellow ponies?” Somnambula challenged. “Is that forbidden as well?”

Flash stomped his hoof on the ground. “Do not play semantics with me! You know that Starswirl will cast you out at the least.”

“And at the most?” Somnambula shot back.

“He’ll have your heads!”

“He’d never!” cried Meadowbrook.

“Be still,” commanded Somnambula, and Meadowbrook shrunk backwards. “Flash, my friend, why have you come all this way to level accusations at us?” Her eyes narrowed in a challenging glare. “Is bringing this to Starswirl’s attention your goal?”

Flash held the stare for seconds longer, before his posture drooped. He removed his helmet and cradled it in a foreleg while sighing. “It is not,” he said. “I apologize. But finding you two here is not what I was expecting.”

Somnambula relaxed. “Then what is it you were expecting, my friend?”

“A thief,” Flash replied. “I have reason to believe that someone is out to cheat us.”

“Cheat us?” echoed Meadowbrook. “Why do you think that?”

“Because my shield is missing,” Flash spat. “I returned to my quarters to fetch it and caught the shadow of a coward leaping through my window. Upon consultation with Rockhoof we discovered that his shovel is missing as well. Someone has intricately gone to set up an escape route from our windows to the courtyard. Have the two of you noticed anything out of place in your own rooms?”

Meadowbrook and Somnambula exchanged a glance. “I do believe my window has been jammed open,” Somnambula noted, rubbing her chin. “I hadn’t thought much of it until now.”

“And you, Meadowbrook? Has anything gone missing from your quarters?”

“I… I’m afraid I wouldn’t know,” Meadowbrook replied sheepishly.

Flash arched his eyebrow. “Do you not live in your quarters?”

“You know that I spend my days in town,” Meadowbrook said, before her eyes drifted to the ground. “And as for the nights…”

“You bed elsewhere,” Flash finished with a roll of his eyes. He huffed before crossing his forelegs. “Somnambula, answer me this. What will you tell Starswirl?”

“I will tell him only what he needs to know,” Somnambula replied, “should the question arise.”

Flash faltered a bit before glancing about nervously. “Somnambula, Meadowbrook, I have reason to believe that he suspects you already.”

Meadowbrook gasped, taking a step backwards in shock. The silence that followed seemed accentuated by the roaring of the fountain, and Meadowbrook felt as if the once-gentle waves had grown in strength. “W-why do you think that?”

“Have you not noticed the looks he gives you at our gatherings?” Flash asked. “Or the fact that he never pairs you two together?”

“Surely it must be a coincidence,” Somnambula muttered.

“Your hope blinds you!” Flash cried. “Please, I am telling you as your friend. You must confront him before he acts. If not, then I fear it will be too late.”

Somnambula began to speak, but Meadowbrook cut her off. “Somnambula, if what Flash says is true, then I believe he’s right.” She offered a smile and took her lover’s hoof again. “If our love for each other means that we can no longer be Pillars… then I know what I’d choose.”

“But what of our home?” Somnambula began to waver as she stared into Meadowbrook’s eyes. “I can not simply abandon our land.”

“You won’t have to abandon anyone, just as much as I won’t abandon my practice,” Meadowbrook proclaimed. “We can continue to serve the world, even if it means we must do it without Starswirl’s approval.”

Somnambula sighed, low and deep and thoughtful. “Very well,” she said. “I suppose this means we should confront him?”

“Let us not worry about Starswirl now,” Meadowbrook decided. “I want to see if Flash is right, and that we truly have been blind to the signs. If he suspects nothing, we may be overreacting.” Sensing Somnambula’s hesitation, Meadowbrook gently used her hoof to raise her lover’s chin. “Somnambula, I love you more than anything in the world. Starswirl may be a storm, but rain won’t drown us out. I promise.”

Somnambula smiled again, nodding. “Your words fill me with courage, my dear. Then it is settled.”

The two turned to Flash. “I thank you for alerting us,” Somnambula said to him.

“You two are very dear to me,” Flash replied as he set his helmet back over his head. “And whatever happens, know that I will have your back. I apologize for interrupting this rendezvous, and I do have a thief to catch.”

“Farewell, my friend,” Somnambula replied as he spread his wings. “Good luck with your quest.”

“Farewell,” Flash answered as he took to the air. “But keep your luck. I fear you shall need it far more than I ever could.”

With that, Flash disappeared over the castle walls, leaving Meadowbrook and Somnambula alone in the garden, and the sound of running water drowning out the world around them.