• Published 8th Jan 2021
  • 5,937 Views, 1,526 Comments

Ark: Friendship is Survival - Pomp-Neigh



Equus, a world of magic and many strange yet wonderous forms of life. However, is this world truly natural? Or could it possibly be... artificial?

  • ...
24
 1,526
 5,937

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 26 - Corrupted Overseer Pt: 1.


Sometime before the overtaking...


-INSTALLATION: EQUUS-

-Canterlot Castle: Throne Room-

The rays of Celestia’s sun shone through the various murals of the throne room, blanketing it in a beautiful array of colorations. Tapestries of a sun and moon insignia are etched onto the walls in all their glory. And the three seats of power that sat at the precipice of a small flight of stairs shimmered in the sunlight that crept through the windows.

A large oval-shaped table is placed in the center of the active throne room, and those who sat upon it consisted mostly of authoritative individuals. Not to mention those they brought along as an escort.

“So what do you all think?” Princess Celestia inquires, seated at the head of the table with both Princesses Luna and Cadence on either side. In addition, an all too familiar orange unicorn mare with a fiery mane sat alongside the lunar alicorn: Sunset Shimmer.

“I’d like for us all to be on the same page.”

Sunset Shimmer leans into Princess Luna, “Wow… I never thought I’d see this many leaders from multiple species and nations in one place.” She whispers.

The dark alicorn chuckles and responds in a whisper:

“Tis the fruits of Princess Twilight and her friends’ actions. Their deeds hath ushered our world into a time of cooperation, although some still remain distant to us like the Zebra Kingdom, not to mention the domain of the Diamond Dogs and Minotaurs. And we’ve yet to hear from Skorpan,” She places a forehoof to her chin in thought, “Come to think of it, we’ve yet to see nor hear from Gruff of Griffonstone.”

The sun alicorn’s question garners a series of collected nods from the other authoritarians present. However, one among them stands from their seat. A male black anthropomorphic cat with light-green eyes; wearing royal apparel which consisted of a purple cape, golden gauntlets with red colorations mixed in, and a golden crown.

“My kingdom is very much aware of the current situation in regards to our… reality,” He states. “While I agree with some of you preferring secrecy - trust me, we cats tend to excel at that - I still suggest that you be open with your own citizens,” He shrugs his shoulders, “It’ll save you from a rather nasty backlash if you catch my meaning.”

Another representative stands on the opposite side of the table, with Prince Rutherford and Dragon Lord Ember currently seated on either side - and Pharynx is positioned just alongside the Dragon Lord.

An all too familiar dark-purple unicorn mare with her most notable feature present for all to see: A broken horn. She dons black armor with stripes of blue and the insignia of a raging storm over a flying airship present on her armored flank.

“I must agree with King Catspian,” Tempest Shadow starts, earning an agreeing nod from the former entity. “Princesses, everyone, I thank you for giving me a chance to redeem myself… and my fellow Tempeshta.” She gestures towards the four entities who stood all around her with her right forehoof: Three large Storm Beasts and a small hedgehog - who, in particular, feasted on a pink cupcake.

“You all gave us a chance to form our own organization, to undo all the damage that had been caused by the Storm King… and us. We will forever be grateful,” The broken unicorn and her companions give a respectful bow before rising up.

“However, I must say that keeping this information from your own people is not the right course of action. And while I understand you do not want them to be so, how can I put this, vulnerable to the truth. I think it’s better to do so instead of a comforting lie.”

“I must also agree with both Tempest and the Abyssinian King. However, there is another matter I wish to bring up,” Another entity comments but remains seated with both Rain Shine, leader of the Perilous Peaks kirin community, and Chief Thunderhooves of the Appaloosa buffalo tribe, sitting on either side.

Put simply: this individual is a white and pale, light grayish amber deer wearing royal attire. His crown is fashionably placed at the base of his antlers.

“King Aspen,” Princess Luna comments as a shocked Sunset Shimmer stares at the deer with widened eyes. “Is this in relation to what we hath spoken of via my thestral messengers?”

“Yes, Princess Luna.”

“Ah, that’s right,” Celestia comments, turning to her sister. “You mentioned investigating a concern within the Everfree Forest?”

“Verily, dear sister. But we believe it’d be best for King Aspen to explain further.”

The deer finally stands tall as his two companions stoically remain behind his seat, “For those who are not yet aware, I am King Aspen of Thicket, a kingdom of deer that lies deep within the Everfree Forest. Although some of you might not be familiar with our kind as we tend to keep to ourselves, and your fear of our home aids us in this regard.”

“Oh, please,” A voice responds from a red dragon who stood alongside Dragon Lord Ember. “We dragons aren’t afraid of that place. We’d burn it down if we had to!”

“Garble!” Ember exclaims with narrowed features. “Watch that tongue of yours, unless you want me to get your little sister, Smolder, involved. If you won’t listen to me,” She smirks, “You’ll definitely get it from her.”

“Fine, yeesh!” Garble responds, crossing his arms and looking away, “I’m not scared of that place…” He mutters.

Ember sighs annoyingly while ‘face clawing’, “Sorry about that.”

“It’s fine,” The deer responds, then turns his gaze towards Garble, “I do not doubt the bravery of you dragons. However, there are threats within the Everfree that even you are right to fear. There’s a fine line between bravery and prideful foolishness, and I hope you don’t learn that the hard way.”

The red dragon simply rolls his eyes in response.

“Now then, as for my concern,” King Aspen starts after turning his gaze to everyone in attendance. “We deer have a particular bond with the forest, and to put it simply: a great disturbance has been riling up the monsters of the Everfree.”

These words garner various reactions from those in attendance, ranging from awe, shock, curiosity, and fear. But before any of them could voice their thoughts, the deer king continues:

“It is unlike anything we have ever seen. Hydras are running in fear, Manticores are cowering like newborn foals. Cragodiles are migrating to other sources of water, and even the mighty Cockatrice actually turns ITSELF into stone as to avoid detection.”

“By the sands of Arabia…” A light-purple-coated, pony-like mare comments with dread. Unlike the average pony, she was similar in height to Princess Celestia and is more akin to a large horse.

“Since you mentioned it, I’d like to report something myself.”

“Please do, Queen Amira,” Princess Cadence motivates.

Queen Amira clears her throat, “My husband, King Haakim, has been trying his best to calm down a large number of giant sand-dwelling antlions on the outskirts of Saddle Arabia. In our most recent pursuits, we encountered one that was acting strange compared to the rest of its brethren…” She hesitates. “Then… we found the cause. A small creature that latched itself onto the antlion’s head. It was as if-”

“As if the creature was controlling the antlion?” The deer king interjects.

The saddle arabian nods, “Yes, that’s exactly it. Wait, this concern you mentioned... does it also involve the same creature?”

King Aspen looks towards Princess Luna, as does everyone else present who follows the deer king’s gaze, and nods to her. The lunar alicorn fires up her horn and brings a piece of paper into existence. Upon this parchment is the sketching of the aforementioned entity, and while it was yet to be known by any of them it is, in fact: A Noglin.

“Did it look like this creature?” Luna inquires.

“Yes!” Queen Amira exclaims in shock, pointing her left forehoof towards the drawing. “By the sands, yes, that’s the exact same creature!”

Everyone else present looks upon the parchment with curiosity.

“Yak no see creature like this before,” Prince Rutherford comments.

“Neither have I,” General Seaspray said, sitting beside Pharynx. “In all my years serving Queen Novo of Seaquestria, I have never before encountered such a being.”

“We changelings are familiar with a lot of life forms,” Pharynx states. “We had to be in order to, well, do Chrysalis’s bidding most effectively. But that thing… I don’t even think any of us had ever encountered it.”

“And I don’t expect any of you to have ever encountered it, at least not until recently,” A new echoing voice makes itself known, but very familiar all the same.

A resounding ‘pop’ makes itself known as the serpentine form of this Ark’s Overseer appears in a cloud of pink colorations.

“Discord, did you find anything?” Celestia questions the Overseer, who’s currently floating above the oval table.

“No, I didn’t. And that’s exactly my point,” He points his lion’s paw towards the sketching, “This thing isn’t even within the Ark’s database.”

“What?!”
“How can that be?!”
“Yak no think you help at all.”
“Some Overseer you are!”
“Great, the one being who SHOULD know of this thing, doesn’t know anything about it.”

“Hey!” Discord retorts. “If you all really think it’s that easy, be my guest! Besides, these creatures haven’t been showing up until after the Obelisks were activated. If anything, the one who likely brought them is-”

The large double doors to the throne room part open, cutting off Discord’s words, as both HLN-A and King Thorax enter seconds after.

“Found him!” The AI exclaims happily. “He was just outside looking at that statue with-”

Thorax cover’s the AI’s visor with his left forelimb, and interjects sheepishly:

“Ehehe, um, I was just getting some fresh air! That’s all.”

Pharynx suspiciously raises a brow, “You went to get fresh air, even though you weren’t even here until now? What were you really doing, brother?”

“Um, whatever do you mean?” Thorax responds in a cold sweat. “I was simply-”

“You went to see her again, didn’t you…?!” Pharynx responds venomously before hovering into the air and flying rapidly towards his brother, standing face to face. “How many times do I have to tell you that she’s no longer a concern to the hive?”

“She’s still our mother, Pharynx…”

“A ‘mother’ who abandoned us, pure and simple. I can’t believe that I was ever so loyal to her even after she left, but my eyes were opened thanks to you.”

“But hating her wasn’t my intention. I know that she left us, but can’t she be forgiven? I just want her to be a part of us once again-”

“Ahem!” Discord interjects. “Can you two save your little family drama for another time? You interrupted my beautiful voice,” He emphasizes by placing his eagle’s talon onto his chest.

HLN-A glares at the Overseer, red lights flashing as they change from the normal blue.

The two changelings look towards the beings sitting at the table, but Pharynx shoots his gaze back at his brother, “This conversation isn’t over.” He says before flying back to his seat, but gesturing for his brother to take it. Thorax sighs before following his brother’s actions, seating himself in the process.

“Well, now that that’s over with, and as I was saying...” Discord comments before snapping his eagle’s talon. Following the gesture, five flashing arrows appear all around HLN-A with the words ‘blame her’ present on all of them.

“YOU are the one responsible for all of this!”

“Me?!” She responds with her natural blue lights, which then turn orange. “What the bloody hell are you on about, Discord?!”

“This creature didn’t appear until after you came up with the bright idea of activating the Obelisks. In fact, you’re the reason we’re even in this situation! For all we know, YOU probably brought it with you!”

The AI rapidly positions itself in front of Discord’s face, red lights flashing with an angered expression present on its visor.

“How dare you accuse me of doing anything that would harm any of these survivors! And that’s just rich coming from Mr. ‘I reset your lives over a million times!’”

“You’re the one who confirmed that another Homo-Deus is responsible for that, not me!”

“Yes, but you’re the one who’s actually DOING it!”

“SILENCE!” A loud, thundering voice declares which causes those present to cover their ears, aside from HLN-A.

“Thou art arguing like a duo of foals!” Luna exclaims. “Tis not the time for us to be arguing amongst ourselves, nor is it proper to shift blame to our cohorts. What’s happened has already come to pass, and we must now tend to the future. And we hath reason to believe that this small creature is far more dangerous than we thought, especially after hearing both King Aspin and Queen Amira’s testimonies.”

Celestia nods, “Well put, my dear sister.” She turns her gaze towards the Noglin sketch on the table and points a forehoof towards it, “Helena, or HLN-A, are you at all familiar with this creature?”

The AI lowers itself over the sketch, and after observing the creature’s appearance, a question mark appears on their visor as the lights on the AI’s form turn green.

“I looked through my database, loves, and I can’t find any relevance to this creature. And I can’t say for certain if my creator had ever encountered this being before. As such, my proposal to find possible notes left behind by our hidden Homo-Deus is-”

“Graugh!” Discord suddenly shouts in pain as he grabs onto his head, but crashes onto the oval-shaped table just below him. Causing everyone who sat in attendance to jump out of their seats.

“Discord!” Celestia shouts in concern as she and everyone else present comes to his aid, stepping over the now shattered furniture as the Ark’s Overseer writhes in agony.

HLN-A hurriedly floats to the downed draconequus, “Discord! Love, are you ok?”

“S-something’s a-attacking me!”

“Where?!” King Thorax shouts worryingly. “We don’t see anything!”

“I… ins-side…” The Overseer said through gritted teeth.

“I’m performing a scan!” HLN-A beckons as the AI starts to scan the draconequus’s form, “Don’t worry, Discord, I’ll have you good as new! Once I find out what’s going on, I can- oh, no. No no no no no!”

“Well? What’s happening to him?!” Tempest Shadow inquires.

“This, this isn’t possible!” The AI responds. “He’s trapped on the Abberation installation!”

“Who?!” Cadence exclaims. “Who are you talking about?!”

Suddenly, the sunlight that crept through the windows of the throne room darkened; replaced by a haunting lavender coloration. Everyone within took on absolutely shocked expressions, and soon enough, they could hear screams emanating from outside. Throughout all of Canterlot.

But what followed soon after would stun them down to their very core:

“Greetings, survivors. I am the Master Controller; an extension of God’s will. And at long last, I shall stake my claim to you all. Submit peacefully, and you shall usher in the new era I will create. Try to resist, and I will extract Edmundium from your very bodies by GUTTING YOU LIKE A FISH!”


Present.


A purple shockwave pulses from Discord’s body, sending everyone who stood near him flying into nearby obstacles, not to mention the remains of the oval table and all of the chairs that accompanied it. Some leaders and representatives crash against walls and pillars, although others are aided and saved by their companions. HLN-A, in particular, was sent hurling into the stairs that sat at the base of the three thrones.

Those who recovered could only watch as Discord’s form floats in the center of the room, his body surrounded by a purple aura. His eyes are closed throughout the entire process, and when they finally open, a series of gasps are let loose as the draconequus’s eyes are consumed by lavender light.

“Oh? Hello there! Now, what are you little gnats up to, hmm? Apologies for not giving you my attention sooner, but as you’ve all just heard, I had an announcement to make. None of you will stop me, and this prototype will be mine! This simulation is unlike any other, I simply must have it!”

HLN-A recovers from the small dent that’s present in the stairs before floating into the air once more, flashing red lights.

“Edmund… so, we meet again. Well, sort of.”

-Damnit… he knows about the prototype.- HLN-A says internally.

“Ah, I see you all have an echo of Helena with you. Too bad that even she can’t save any of you now. I remember her well… she was always trying to save useless rubbish.”

“Mate, you clearly know nothing about Helena. And, no, these beautiful souls are not rubbish!” The AI retorts with determination as a smirking expression appears on its visor. “They are survivors! And oooh, boy, did you piss them off!”

A large collection of magical projectiles are let loose by some of the recovered leaders and representatives, all of whom unleash their attacks in unison. From Dragon Lord Ember and Garble spewing flames from their maws to King Thorax and Pharynx firing green beams from their horns. In addition to Equestria’s Princesses, King Aspen, Rain Shine, Sunset Shimmer, and Tempest Shadow - despite her horn’s shattered state. However, their attacks are stopped in place as if time itself was being affected.

“Fools,” ‘Discord’ said, his lion’s paw raised above his head. “You dare to strike at God? And with his own essence no less… how naive.”

In a shocking display, the halted projectiles gather into a singular collective that sat in the palm of ‘Discord’s’ lion paw. He brings his appendage before his face, and the controlled Overseer opens their mouth before devouring the energy in a fashion similar to Lord Tirek.

"I am the master of Edmundium! And you primitive life forms think you can use it against me?!"

“I won’t let you do this, Edmund!” HLN-A shouts as the AI rushes forth without hesitation, but is swatted away by ‘Discord’s’ tail which sends her flying into a nearby wall.

“Insect. It’s absolutely insulting that Helena herself doesn’t come to meet me personally. And all I get is a fake… pathetic.

……….

“Well… that’s not good,” King Catspian comments.

“Then yak follow little robot's lead! Yak use yak’s might!” Prince Rutherford exclaims as he rushes towards the Overseer. “Yaaaah!”

In addition, Queen Amira, all three of the Storm Beasts, General Seaspray, and Chief Thunderhooves all stampede towards their adversary.

“No, wait, I surrender!” The draconequus shouts with his arms raised up. All while the aforementioned entities encroach upon him.

“Wait, why is he-” Sunset Shimmer starts, but cuts off her own words in realization. “Wait, no, stop!”

A loud electrical surge emanates from a barrier that was revealed to be all around ‘Discord’s’ form, and upon making contact with it, Queen Amira, the Storm Beasts, General Seaspray, Prince Rutherford, and Chief Thunderhooves are electrocuted on impact.

They all scream out in pain before falling unconscious right where they stood, all while the rest of their allies look on in horror.

“Funny thing about fighting an Overseer… sometimes, they often have this barrier protecting them. Which is most inconvenient, of course. Well, for you lot, anyway.”

……….

During this time, King Catspian made his way over to HLN-A’s downed form. He lifts the AI up in his arms and starts to tap their visor with his left paw.

“Hey now, little robot, this is no time to nap!” He looks worriedly over his right shoulder, only to see the alicorn Princesses, Tempest Shadow, and Sunset Shimmer unleash another surge of projectiles. All while Rain Shine and King Aspen float the unconscious forms of their shocked allies away from the corrupted Overseer via their alighted horn and antlers.

“I really need you to do something! Like, right now!” He shouts in a panic before wiping a paw across his face, “Oh, sure, leave my magical artifacts at home, I said. It’ll be fine, I said.”

The Abyssinian king flinches in response to an explosion that roars out behind him, but something catches his attention In the corner of his eye. Positioned just behind the three thrones is the fearful form of a certain hedgehog.

King Catspian snaps his right paw, “I’ve got an idea.”

……….

“Oh, man… this isn’t good,” Says the cowering hedgehog, peeking from behind Celestia’s throne. “I want to help, but what can I do? I’m just a hedgehog! I don’t have magic, and I’m definitely not big enough to fight that guy…”

“Yo, little dude.”

“AAAAAHHH!”

“Woah, woah! Take it easy, little fella,” The abyssinian responds with a comforting gesture. “I didn’t mean to scare ya.”

“Oh, thank heavens. You nearly gave me a heart attack. Don’t you ever do that again!”

“Sorry, sorry. Now, check it out, you’re that little guy Capper often talks about, right? Uh, Rubber?”

“It’s Grubber.”

“Right right, anyway, I need you to zap this here robot thing,” King Catspian requests as he shows the AI within his arms.

“Do I look like a unicorn to you?” Grubber questions after observing HLN-A. “How am I going to shock it?”

“Aren’t you a part of the Tempeshta?”

“Of course I am!” Grubber retorts, mildly insulted. “But that doesn’t mean I can zap things!”

“Then how in the wide world do ya even protect yourself?”

“With this thing Tempest gave me,” Grubber responds as he pulls out a very particular tool from his pocket. “She got it from the Storm King’s castle, I think it’s called a taser-”

“Yoink.”

“Hey!”

In one swift motion, the abyssinian swipes the taser from the hedgehog’s grasp. He places HLN-A onto the floor and fires up the defensive tool.

“I’ll give this back. Now then, wakey wakey, robot!” He starts to shock HLN-A with the taser but gets no response. “Alright then, two times the charm it is!” He shocks the AI again, but to no avail.

“Are you sure that’s even helping?” Grubber inquires. “Isn’t it sometimes a bad thing to shock a robot? At least from what I read in the comic books Spike would lend to me.”

“Well, she ain’t just a robot, but a really advanced robot.”

“I kind of fail to see how-”

“I’m awake!” HLN-A exclaims. “Ok, I’ve got- AHTATATATA!”

In the absolute worst timing, King Catspian zaps the AI once more but stops upon hearing her exclamation.

“Oops, sorry!” He says as he hurriedly throws the taser back to Grubber. “So, uh, you good? Because we kind of need some help with, well…” He points over his left shoulder and towards the combat taking place in the background, “That.”

The AI looks over the sun alicorn’s throne, “Oh boy, this isn’t good!”

“Ya think?” Both King Catspian and Grubber say in unison.

“Don’t worry, loves, I’ve called for backup,” HLN-A responds. “I was only momentarily deactivated due to having my consciousness leave this Ark for a moment, and I was actually speaking with my creator on Earth.”

“Wait, so I didn’t have to zap you?” The abyssinian questions. "Well, there goes my heroic moment..."

“Nope! I’m all good. That jolt you gave me really packs a punch though, and - Hang on, just how many times did you-”

“So, about that backup!” He interjects.

“Uhm, r-right. Anyway, so I’ve told you the good news… but now for the bad news.”

“What is it?” King Catspian inquires.

“Can we help everyone else?” Grubber questions.

“Until those reinforcements arrive, we’re on our own, loves. But this isn’t just happening in Canterlot… the entire Ark is being invaded by Edmund’s consciousness. But I’m absolutely baffled as to how he managed to do this in the first place.”

“Ok, rewind for a second,” King Catspian said. “Did you just say that this cat is attacking our entire world?”

“Yes. Every nation and country is facing the same hardships we are. The whole bloody Ark’s basically one big warzone!”

The abyssinian king rises up in a panic, “I-I need to get back home, asap! If this guy’s attacking Abyssinia, I’ve got to protect my people! My wife!”

“Mate, we’ve got to stop THIS iteration of the Master Controller, first,” HLN-A responds before looking over the throne once more, along with both Grubber and King Catspian.

They observe the ever-raging battle as Celestia could be seen charging alongside Rain Shine, although the AI notes that the corrupted Overseer wasn’t even trying as he floats there with a bored expression.

“We already took a massive loss by losing Discord to that wanker. Damnit… I hate to say it, but we need a bloody miracle, mates.”

-So, is this the part where I have the most awesome timing and enter the fray like a total badass? Because I’m sooo doing that! Ooh, it’s just like those movies dad and I used to watch together!-

HLN-A looks around in utter shock, much to the confusion of both Grubber and King Catspian, “Wait, who’s there?! How are you speaking to me?!”

-Oh, uh, I hope this isn’t too invasive or anything… but I hacked into your unit the very moment your consciousness exited this Ark. Then I sensed your return, and let’s just say that your little AI unit has two of us in here now.-

“Wait, hang on for a second, mate. Just who in the world are you?”

-I hear you’ve been looking for me. My name is Megan Williams, and I’m the Homo-Deus you’ve been looking for. It’s nice to meet you, HLN-A. You know, I’ve been watching Helena even before she ascended. I really like her, she’s so nice!-

“What?!” The AI shouts with an exclamation mark. “H-how?!”

-It’s a long story, but we don’t have much time left to give you a full history lesson. However, I will say this: Just as Helena and Edmund created artificial beings as an extension of their consciousness, I also did the same. I mean, don’t you know?-

An image suddenly pops up on the AI’s visor, one that instantly dumbfounds HLN-A in response.

“N-no way! Those are extensions of YOU? But I always thought they were just very rare spawns that the Arks sometimes like to inject to test survivors. Like the Dodorex!”

-They sure are! Bioengineered equines that have the same functions as your HLN-A units. In fact, Lyra Heartstrings is Equus’s very own extension of yours truly. Every Ark has a single unicorn hidden among the many herds of Equus - my family even named this installation after those ancient species of equines. And each unicorn acts as my eyes and ears.-

PreviousChapters Next