• Published 28th Nov 2020
  • 831 Views, 13 Comments

A Balance of Fire and Light - Stolenalicorn



With Twilight no longer ascending to Equestria's Throne, she and her friends have a new life to live.

  • ...
7
 13
 831

20 Officially Un-official

“I've been lied to?” Twilight asked in a panic. “By who, about what?! Why would they send that and nothing else?! Who even sent this?!”

“They did say they'd send more.” Spike offered optimistically. “Maybe they'll explain better in their next letter.”

“A letter we have no idea when it's coming!” Twilight said exasperated before moaning. “And only a week before we go to the Galactic Academy.”

“Maybe it's nothing Twilight,” Spike insisted, “just something unimportant that you already forgot about.”

“That wouldn't merit sending a letter, Spike. This has to be something important.” Twilight insisted.

Without warning Starlight swatted the letter away from Twilight. “Twilight, you just got back from a vacation you were forced on because you went catatonic from bad news. Don't get yourself so worked up about something when we don't have the faintest idea what it's about.” Starlight scolded, getting nose to nose with Twilight. “They said they'll contact you later with more information. That's when we worry about it. And you know what? Maybe it will be nothing.”

“But it could be something huge!” Twilight insisted.

“Yes, but we still won't know about it until they contact you again.”

“Yeah, don't worry about it Twilight.” Spike casually said.

“How can I not worry about it?”

“Clearly you're going to worry about it,” Starlight said, resigned. “But you have to accept that, until you know more, there's nothing you can do about it. And until that time, all worrying will do is make you less able to respond when you need to.”

Twilight was forcing herself to breath slowly and nodded as Starlight finished talking. “You're … absolutely right. There is nothing I can do about it.” As Twilight spoke her breathing became more normal and she began to sound less panicked. “But I have to do something.”

“Maybe plan for our trip in a week.” Starlight offered.

Twilight laughed slightly as she answered. “I actually spent most of my vacation planning for that already.”

“Great!” Starlight said happily. “Why don't you tell me about it?” She asked, hoping to use it to distract Twilight.

***

Moonlight streamed in through the window of Twilight's office, lighting up the room enough for Twilight to see. Soon the moonlight was joined by a violet glow as Twilight's horn lit up with a golden flecked violet light.

The desk glowed violet faintly before going dark once more.

Twilight chewed her lip briefly as she walked around the desk, opening up the drawers and inspecting the contents.

Unsatisfied, she closed the drawers and walked for the nearby bookcase. After a brief scan several books lit up and flew from the shelves and flipped open as they flew around Twilight.

“Recall … recall …” Twilight mumbled to herself as she scanned the pages, periodically a book flipped closed and flew back to the shelves to be replaced by another.

“Recall memory … recall feeling … Ah-Ha! Recall spell!” As Twilight spoke up the remaining books fell to the ground and with a hop she jumped over them to begin the spell she had focused on.

Twilight's horn lit up as she read, casting the spell as she went along.

A flash of gold and violet filled the room briefly as Twilight looked up from her desk. “Oh, right. That spell only reminds you of the spell's effects …” Suddenly she slumped over her book and grunted. “Oh.”

Once again, books flew from the shelves and opened as Twilight examined them. “Maybe it wasn't delivered magically. Is there a spell that tells me where it came from?” She mumbled to herself.

***

“Hey Twilight.” Rainbow Dash happily said as she woke her friend.

“Wha? Who? … Oh, hi Rainbow Dash.”

“Hey.” Rainbow Dash repeated before laughing. “You know that school's out for summer, right.”

“Yeah,” Twilight said with a grin, “I know. I just came to look through some of my books. … You didn't happen to see anyppony leave a letter here for me while I was gone, did you?”

Rainbow Dash shrugged and shook her head.

“Maybe I shouldn't go.” Twilight sighed.

“Go where?”

“The Galactic Academy.” Twilight answered, pointing out the obvious. “I need to wait for an important letter.”

“What?!” Rainbow Dash rushed forward and held up Twilight too look in here eyes. “Are you crazy? You want to miss out on all this? I would have thought you'd be all over going to a new world.”

“Yeah, I want to go. But the other day I got a letter telling me that there's something wrong, and they were going to follow up. But they didn't say when.”

“What did they say was wrong?”

“They didn't.” Twilight said with a shrug.

“They didn't? … Sounds like a prank to me.” Rainbow Dash quickly concluded.

“Why would somepony prank me like that?”

Rainbow Dash shrugged and grunted, “Don't worry about it. Even they said they'll tell you later. So it can't be that important, right?”

“I guess …” Twilight hesitantly said. “But what if it is and I miss it because I'm on another planet?”

“Well, you know James has a trick up his sleeve for that. He can drop us off before we even leave if you're worried.”

Twilight stared blankly ahead for a moment as she thought. “Did you ever think about just how much our lives have changed since he showed up?”

“Nope. He does that enough for all of us and …”

“Right, he almost got in trouble for it.”

“Yeah, it's better if we just go with the flow. It's not like we know how things would have been without him. Other than your trip through those other versions of our world.”

“And only one was any good.”

“See, don't worry about it and we'll take things as they come.”

“Thanks, Rainbow Dash … So did you come to find me for anything specific?”

“Oh, right!” Rainbow Dash eagerly said as she landed beside Twilight. “I wanted to bring you along to Wonderbolt headquarters to witness me set a new record before we get the augmentation. That way I can really see how much more awesome I am after we get back.”

Despite her concern over the letter, Twilight couldn't help but get excited at this opportunity for some solid data to make a comparison with. Her stress began to melt away as a smile spread across her face. “I think that's a great idea. Maybe I should see about getting timed too.”

“Well, you're not going to break any records.” Rainbow Dash chuckled.

“Just so I can see how this will change things.”

“Alright, set your own personal records.” Rainbow Dash said as she nodded. “Great idea.”

The two ponies soon left the room, thoughts gnawing at the edges of a mind ready to refocus.

***

“Well Big Mac,” Applejack said with a grin, “it's nearing time for me to get moving for that procedure.”

“Eeyup.” Big Mac acknowledged with a nod.

“I just need to make sure you know everything you have to do while I'm gone.” Applejack insisted.

“E … Eeyup?” Big Mac answered, raising his eyebrow.

“I know you can look after things, and do quite a bit …”

“Eeyup.” Big Mac quickly interjected.

“But it never hurts to make sure.” Applejack finished.

“A.J. …” Big Mac started.

“Just so I feel better, okay Big Mac.”

Big Mac gave Applejack an exasperated stare and exhaled sharply through his nose, but remained silent otherwise.

“Now James was saying this could be a couple months, so we've got a big harvest comin' about that time to get ready for the Summer Sun festival. Go ahead and call in the rest of the family for that, unless of course they're busy with their own harvests.”

“Speaking of the Summer Sun festival, since I ain't gonna be there you and Sugar Belle need to run the apple stand. Think you can handle that?”

“Eeyup.” Big Mac impatiently answered.

“Now, Apple Bloom is out of school for the summer, hopefully she won't be to much for you …”

“Handled you well enough.” Big Mac injected with a smirk.

“Oh really?” Applejack said, unable to keep from grinning herself. “I remember being able to talk you into just about anything.”

“Just about.” Big Mac emphasized.

“Well, don't let her take over while I'm gone. You'll probably have your hooves full between her and granny. … You sure everything will be alright with me gone for so long? Maybe …”

“We'll manage A.J.” Big Mac was quick to say. “That's the reason we're going in the order we are, so the farm will always have somepony here who can handle the work.”

“Yer right Big Mac, but I can't help but worry.”

***

“For crying out loud, Rarity!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed as she watched her friend struggle to haul an overflowing cart through the front door of Twilight's castle. “We're not going camping this whole time, you don't need that much stuff.”

“I wish I could agree, Rainbow Dash,” Rarity grunted as she hauled the cart up another step, “but this is work. I just can't allow myself to get so far behind on trends.”

“I'd appreciate some help back here.” Applejack called from behind the cart.

“AJ, you're back there?” Rainbow Dash asked, flying up and over the cart to find the farm pony pushing the overloaded cart.

“Couldn't've asked that if I weren't!” Applejack answered, irritated. “Just help me get this in already!”

With a sigh Rainbow Dash landed behind the cart with Applejack and began to push with a grunt for the effort.

“Jeez Rarity, did you bring your whole store?” Rainbow Dash grunted.

“Darn near.” Applejack answered for her.

“Come on now you two,” Rarity said as she strained to get the last of the short distance in. “This is only a few essentials so I can continue my work. This is important.”

“We ain't saying it's not important …” Applejack said before Rainbow Dash began to mutter.

“Maybe you're not.” Rainbow Dash cut in briefly.

“But maybe you could have asked somepony else for help.” Applejack finished with another push.

“Oh, but it moved so easily through the town.”

“Yeah, because we weren't pushing it up …” Applejack began before falling on her face as the cart suddenly moved forward beyond the door. “… stairs.”

Rarity was carried forward with a shriek as the cart continued on it's course. Despite her best attempts, the crystal floor didn't offer her any traction to stop herself with.

Engrossed with her shriek as she was, Rarity didn't realize she had stopped until the expected crash didn't occur. She looked around briefly, confused but relieved, and soon found the reason. The wagon was being held back by an emerald light as Starlight walked into the room.

“What in Equestria is all this for?” Starlight asked.

“She's bringin' her work with her.” Applejack answered, relieved to be done pushing the cart.

“Besides,” Rarity said as she detached herself from her harness, “the last time we took one of these trips and I was inspired, I was completely unprepared. I don't want that to happen again.”

“Hey, has anypony seen Twilight?” Rainbow Dash asked suddenly.

“Uhm, yeah. She's helping Fluttershy get the caretakers settled in at the sanctuary.” Starlight explained.

“Didn't she ask Dr. Fauna?” Applejack asked.

“No, she actually asked someone from New Guardia. I guess he has a similar way with animals as she does.” Starlight answered, curious herself as to who it was Fluttershy had asked for help from.

“Yeah, and I don't know if I'll ever pronounce his name correctly.” Twilight said as she and Fluttershy walked in on the conversation. “Wow Rarity, you really packed a lot.”

Rarity sighed “Yes, dear, it's for work.”

“That's a great idea Rarity.” Twilight eagerly said. “This would be a perfect time for me to get some things ready for school next year.”

“Honestly,” Applejack casually said, “I'm kind of looking forward to kicking my hooves up and getting some rest.”

Rarity gasped as she rushed to Applejack. “Are you feeling well? I practically have to drag you out to the spa for you to take a break.” She asked, only joking slightly.

“Come on now, just 'cause I'm not as lax as Rainbow Dash doesn't mean I don't take it easy from time to time.”

“Hey!” Rainbow Dash was quick say.

Before anything else could be said, the unmistakable sound of an excited Pinkie Pie quickly grew close.

“…eeeeee! This is so exciting!” Pinkie announced as she bounced into the foyer. “I can't wait to meet all those new creatures! I wonder if they like cake … Haha, what am I saying, of course they will. Who doesn't like cake.”

“Looks like we're all here,” Twilight said happily, “I'll just let James know about Rarity's … luggage, and we'll get going.” As she finished speaking her horn lit up and the familiar golden bracelet floated out and around her hoof, the omnitool lit up and she started quickly typing out a message.

“You didn't think about getting it through that door, did you Rarity?” Applejack bluntly asked.

“Oh … Well, no, I hadn't thought about that. But I shall find a way, even if I have to bring it through one article at a time.”

“Well don't take too long, we're on a schedule.” Twilight urged.

“You've even planned out leaving?” Rainbow Dash asked, astonished before pausing and shaking her head. “What am I saying? It's you, of course you have.”

“Oh, no. I didn't schedule this at all: We have to coordinate with the GP, so they're the ones who set the times and if we're late we may not get there at all.” Twilight corrected.

“So James isn't taking us there himself?”

“Well, Hinako is both rather conspicuous for a non official visit, and she's on joint military maneuvers with the Juraian and Seniwan fleets.” James explained as he walked down the stairs into Twilight's foyer. “Twilight, I think you undersold just how much Rarity was bringing.”

“This isn't that much,” Rarity insisted, “just some essentials and my work.”

James walked over to the cart and examined it carefully, lifting it a couple times and mumbling to himself. After biting his bottom lip and scratching his chin for about a minute he spoke up. “Okay, I do have a spare Bag of Holding I can split some of this into, the rest can go into my regular bag, but I have to hold onto both bags. That okay?”

“Of course, dear.” Rarity quickly agreed with a smile. “Is there some way I can get one of those bags, it would be oh so handy?”

“You can …” James started, giving Rarity a wide smile. “if you have ten thousand bits to pay for one.”

Rarity's smile vanished in an instant. “Ten thousand?” She sputtered. “How in Equestria does a bag cost so much? … It's not even a designer label!”

“I can explain later. I just need to get this stuff divided so we can make it on time for our transport. You all go on ahead, this will only be a couple minutes.”

The group idly chatted as they walked to James's castle, openly wondering what the planet they were going to would be like.

“I'm betting it's going to be an ultra advanced megatropolis,” Rainbow Dash eagerly said as she flew higher. “With skyscrapers that reach all the way to space!”

“I don't know,” Twilight said casually, “Lady Seto talked about having garden planets. I bet they have a lot of wild areas, with lush greenery and trees taller than the buildings.”

“I think both of those sound nice.” Fluttershy quietly said.

“I wonder what their fashion scene is.” Rarity openly wondered. “What's in vogue right now?”

“Did y'all forget we're going to a school?” Applejack asked, shaking her head. “I'm not sure it's going to be any of that.”

“Please, AJ,” Rainbow Dash said as she rolled her eyes, “Clearly we're not going to be spending the entire time at a school. Come on, months stuck on a school campus: that would just suck.” As she spoke, she turned to see Twilight prancing slightly at the statement.

Twilight looked up briefly and stopped prancing. “You're right, it can't just be the school. But I am curious to see how they developed.”

The girls jumped slightly as James walked up, talking to them as he did. “Turns out that it wasn't as heavy as I thought, so I was able to pack it all away just fine. Alright girls, we should probably be on our way about now. I'd rather not make the GP wait if it can be helped.”

“We're not going to have to wait long, are we?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“I … hope not. Mihoshi is one of the few officers authorized to work in the area of Earth, and she's not the most punctual. Given the various laws in place, the less time we spend on Earth the better.”

“Really?” Twilight asked.

“Yeah, unfortunately. We have to keep the locals from knowing that aliens of any kind exist. Even if where we're going is populated mostly by aliens. Fortunately it's in rural Okayama, so we don't have to worry about many people being around.”

“So what's the plan? We go out there, meet this Mihoshi and leave?” Applejack asked, following as James began to lead them towards his own foyer.

“If things all go right.”

“And if they don't?” Fluttershy asked.

“Then we could be there for a while. If it comes to it I have some capsules so we can wait basically as long as we need.”

“And when will we be leaving?” Rarity casually asked.

James activated his Omnitool briefly before turning to answer the question. “About half an hour.”

***

“Oh my, this place is lovely.” Fluttershy said as she looked around the forest they transported into.

“Yeah.” James commented, looking around at the scenery himself. “This is part of the reason I want to keep wide swaths of land undeveloped up on the station.”

“How will we know when Mihoshi is here?” Starlight asked as she looked up to the canopy.

“She should send me a message. Or if she forgets, Tenchi probably will.”

“Well, I'm getting some shuteye while we wait.” Rainbow Dash said as she lounged beneath a nearby tree.

“It's only gonna be five minutes Rainbow Dash.” Applejack complained.

“What am I supposed to do?”

***

“I wonder what could be taking so long?” Twilight wondered as she closed her book and looked around.

Rainbow Dash and Applejack snoozed peacefully beneath a tree as Pinkie bounced around. Fluttershy smiled as she watched several birds flitting around the canopy. Rarity focused as she planned designs in her sketch pad, and Starlight had taken to reading like Twilight had.

James had his omnitool out and was looking through several charts Twilight didn't recognize as he shook his head. “Unfortunately, Mihoshi doesn't seem to have gotten the message I sent her.”

“Aren't you worried? She's over an hour late.”

“Sort of.” James calmly said, “But more than likely she's fine.”

As James spoke, the sound of a car's engine could be heard coming closer. Twilight looked to the road then back to James at the noise.

James nodded and held his hands paralleled in front of his chest as he began a quiet chant. In one fluid motion he moved his hands from in front of his chest and stretched them, palms out, to his side as he finished the chant.

“What the hay?” Applejack asked as she adjusted her hat and looked at the scene before her.

“Sorry, we have to stay quiet, the locals can't know we're here.” James quickly explained in a hushed tone. Looking from behind a tree, he could see a small blue pickup truck coming up the road towards them.

He kept a close watch on the truck as it came into clear view and began to slow down. “Belgium.” He muttered to himself as he watched the truck come to a stop.

“So what if they decide they're having a picnic here?” Applejack whispered, noticing the bushels of carrots in the bed of the truck.

“Then I have to get us out of here, and quick.” James answered, not taking his attention away from their visitors.

Muffled voices could be heard just before the driver side door opened and a relatively tall woman with short teal hair stepped out.

“Poor girl.” Rarity commented under her breath.

“Okay, it's just them.” James quietly said, working to dismiss the illusion he had woven.

“Washu said they should be out here.” The woman said as she scanned the area.

In response to her comment, the other door opened and a smaller, younger, man with even shorter black hair stepped out. “Well, if Washu said it, they probably are.” Tenchi answered.

With a wave of his hand, James dismissed the illusion, revealing himself and the ponies spread out among the trees.

“Oh, look over there.” The woman quickly said as she waved towards the group. “Hello!” She called happily.

“I take it that's who we're waiting for?” Starlight reasoned.

“Nope.” James answered, waving back to the woman. “That's Noike and Tenchi, but they're not exactly locals.”

“Come on up!” Tenchi called out as he waved at the group. “Mihoshi's running late again.”

“Alright, I'll just make sure everyone's here.” James called back before turning to gently shake Rainbow Dash awake.

Rainbow Dash snorted quickly as her eyes fluttered open. “Wha? Is it time to go now?”

“Sort of.” James answered, “Tenchi's here so he probably knows something.”

“That name sounds familiar.” She mumbled as she slowly stood up.

“I should hope so,” James laughed, “he's Tenyo's brother, remember?”

“Hello there.” Tenchi said with a smile. “It's nice to meet you all.”

“Mighty friendly of you there.” Applejack said with a smile. “My name's Applejack.”

As the ponies introduced themselves James took stock of the truck that Noike had been driving.

“Is everything alright?” Tenchi asked as he looked at James inspecting the vehicle.

“Oh yes, sorry.” James said, waving the question away, “I'm just used to silent vehicles up in New Guardia. I'd forgotten the rumble of a gasoline engine. Anyway, has Mihoshi contacted any of you yet.” He asked as he turned away from the vehicle.

“Not yet.” Noike calmly said. “I think she took a nap and is just running late.”

James chuckled slightly. “Well thank you for telling us. I guess I'll get things set up for a longer wait.”

“Are you sure? We'd be happy to have you come and visit while you wait for her.” Tenchi offered.

“We really shouldn't intrude.” James commented with a smile and polite nod, drawing confused looks from the ponies.

“It won't be an intrusion at all, we can't have you waiting out here because of Mihoshi. Besides, we've already got lunch ready for everyone.” Tenchi insisted.

James gave his normal half smile as he spoke. “Very well, if you insist. Will it be safe for us to simply walk.”

“Nobody besides family has been by this way for weeks, it's perfectly fine.” Tenchi assured him.

“So are y'all farmers?” Applejack asked as she eyed the bushels of carrots.

“Sort of.” Tenchi laughed as he rubbed the back of his head.

“The way James tells it, I'd have thought you were a prince or something.” Applejack said with a smile.

From the cab of the truck a sound similar to a meow could be heard.

“I guess Ryo-Ohki woke up.” Noike said as she looked towards the sound.

“She was probably expecting to be home about now.” Tenchi commented, turning towards the truck himself.

Fluttershy gave a quiet gasp as she heard the noise and rushed to the truck to look into the cab, finding the cabbit looking around. “Oh my goodness she's so precious.” Fluttershy said as her face brightened up. “I've never seen a creature like her before. Well, two like her, but not like her like her.” Fluttershy gushed before turning to Tenchi. “What is she?”

“Oh, Ryo-Ohki? She's a … space ship.” Tenchi answered awkwardly.

“What?” Fluttershy asked, astonished.

“It's quite a bit to get into.” James answered for Tenchi, “There will be time to explain on the way.”

“Right.” Tenchi said as he turned to Noike. “You and Ryo-Ohki go on ahead, I'll show them to the house.”

“Don't take too long, I'm not sure how long Ryoko can wait.” Noike said with a smile as she climbed back into the cab of the truck. The group cleared the way for her to drive away before walking along the road themselves, stopping only briefly as Applejack admired the carrot fields that Tenchi had made and tended.

***

“Your balance is terrible.” Katsuhito called out as James once again tumbled to the ground from the wooden pegs he'd been jumping between. The two were in a small clearing surrounded by trees and bushes only a few meters from the pathway up the hill towards the shrine.

“Why are we doing this?” James called back, irritated.

“Washu told me that you no longer have a sparring partner. I thought I'd help you out a bit while you're here. Now try it again.” Katsuhito answered plainly.

Grumbling, James jumped back up onto the pegs before Katsuhito released a stick tied to a string.

“Now try to strike this a hundred times.” Katsuhito instructed as he tossed a boken to James. “And keep moving.”

James twisted to catch the boken, snatching it easily from the air before slipping off the peg again. With a burst of energy he caught himself midair before he would have crashed on the pegs once more.

“Maybe we should try for even one.” Kastuhito said, bored.

“Not exactly the kind of training I'm used to, to be fair.” James said as he floated until he was upright once more and landed on the pegs.

“Yes, you're more of a brawler. But you need to focus your technique and hone more than your strength to be effective.” As he spoke, Katsuhito stood and lifted a boken himself, gesturing for James to come down before squaring off against him. “Why don't you show me how you handle yourself.”

“Yeah, I've been working on my stamina lately.” James commented as he turned to face the older man.

Carefully Starlight watched the fight from the foliage, watching as James blocked attacks and Katsuhito dodged. While James was clearly effective in his defense, he was being steadily pushed back by the older man's onslaught.

Starlight slowly backed off, ready to give the two their space, when her hind hooves suddenly did not find ground beneath them. In a moment she was tumbling backwards down the hill towards the path she had taken to get there.

Katsuhito swung his boken, anticipating James' block and a push forward. James' fighting style relied on overwhelming force to subdue his opponent, and that left many weaknesses in his defenses that could be exploited.

As the boken came down it met no resistance, and the spot James had occupied was completely empty. Off to the side there was a crash in the bushes as James rushed through.

Starlight's fall ended quickly as she found herself cradled in James' arms.

“You okay, Starlight?” James asked as they floated just above the ground.

“I see.” Katsuhito calmly said as he looked out from the trees. “Having trouble concentrating with an audience?”

“Sorry about that. I didn't mean to pry, I was just wandering around when I heard you two.” Starlight said as James carefully put her down.

“Yeah, seems that everyone is kind of doing their own thing right now.” James calmly said. “Rainbow Dash is flying around, I think practicing her routine.” He said as he looked up to the sky where a small figure could be barely seen darting around. “Fluttershy and Applejack went with Tenchi and Ryo-Ohki back to the fields. Rarity and Twilight are back at the house, while Pinkie is walking around the lake again.”

“How do you know all that?” Starlight asked, astonished.

“Remember, I'm the one who taught Twilight how to sense energy.” James commented.

“Right, but to just know where everypony is like that …”

Katsuhito shook his head. “No wonder you couldn't concentrate on your training, you were busy tracking everyone else.”

“The training actually helped me focus so I could track everyone.”

“Being aware of your surroundings is important, but not to the point of distraction.” Katsuhito criticized.

“I know. But when there really is a fight I'm certainly capable of handling myself.”

“More than capable.” Starlight quietly added, vividly remembering the encounter in Saillune.

Starlight hadn't noticed as James' attention snapped back to the lake, but as she finished speaking she realized something had his attention.

“I believe his arm says otherwise.” Katsuhito commented, using his boken to point out the barely visible seem on James' left arm.

James wasn't paying attention to the two with him as his senses caught Pinkie suddenly get more energetic and move surprisingly quickly towards the house. “Huh.” James said before looking to the other two. “Pinkie's running back to the house now … I think I'll go check it out.”

“Really, I wonder why?” Starlight asked, deliberately shifting her thoughts from Saillune.

“No idea, but you can come with me if you want.” James suggested as he knelt towards the unicorn.

Starlight gave him a quick smile as she stepped forward and sat on his arm. “Sure,” she answered before turning to Katsuhito. “Again, I'm sorry for spying on you two.”

“You get used to it around here.” Katsuhito offered as James began to float up.

“Thanks again for all the hospitality you've shown us.” James said before offering a nod and flying off.

At the house the two intercepted Pinkie Pie who looked genuinely worried as she looked for cover.

“What's going one Pinkie?” Starlight asked, jumping down from James' arms.

“My tail's a twitch-a-twitching! And whatever it is, it's a doozie!” Pinkie said as she looked around worried, glancing up periodically.

“Tail?” James asked.

“Uh-huh.” Pinkie confirmed moments before her tail began to thrash around. “See there it goes again!” She added, turning and smacking James with her tail.

Casually James brushed her tail from his face before speaking. “I'd best warn Rainbow Dash, in case it's coming from above her.” James concluded before taking to the air once more.

Once he was gone, Pinkie continued her rush to the house and jumped towards the door, pausing only briefly to put on the slippers that had been provided for her. “Everycreature!” She announced as she rushed in. “My tail's twitch-a-twitching!”

Ryoko rolled over and looked down from the rafters as Noike walked out from the kitchen where she had been helping Sasami clean.

“Is everything alright, Pinkie?” Noike asked.

“No, my tail is a twitch-a-twitching. And you know what that means.” Pinkie offered as explanation.

“No.” Ryoko bluntly said. “What on earth are you talking about?”

“It means that something is going to fall.” She clarified.

“Alright,” Noike calmly accepted, “but can you explain what?”

“Oh, I don't know that.” Pinkie said with a chuckle. “But I do know my tail's never twitched like this, so whatever it is it's huge!”

Ryoko laughed momentarily as she took another drink. “Yeah, huge falling things around here tend to be …” As she spoke her smile vanished and she jumped down from the beam she had been laying on, vanishing shortly after leaving and returning just before touching the ground, “oh.” she finished.

“If she's right, then yes.” Noike agreed.

“Pinkie's tail is twitching?” Twilight asked as she walked in from another room. “Yes, it defies all logic, but she does have a sense for these things.”

“I see.” Noike said calmly before turning back to the kitchen. “Sasami, I'm going to let Washu know that Mihoshi will be here soon.”

“Okay!” Sasami called from the kitchen. “We should probably close the doors too.”

“Good point.” Noike said with a nod. “Ryoko, could you do that?”

Ryoko grumbled as she trudged to the doors and slid them closed and turned to Pinkie. “So when does this crash happen?” She asked, not fully believing the pony's predictive powers.

“Oh, I don't know. But if my Pinkie Sense says it's happening it can't be too long.” Pinkie happily answered.

As she spoke James and Rainbow Dash landed on the deck and began to walk quickly towards the house. Ryoko started to open the sliding door for them when a loud whistling filled the air.

At the sound, James and Rainbow Dash looked up quickly before rushing to the door. However, Ryoko had changed her stance to hold the door closed as the two began frantically knocking.

James realized that they weren't getting in and his face fell as he slowly turned to watch the lake.

In a flash, a massive wave crashed down onto the house, drenching the two trapped outside.

***

James and Rainbow Dash stood on the deck with towels draped over them as an embarrassed tan woman with long tied up blond hair stood next to them, equally drenched.

“Washu …” Mihoshi said as she sobbed faintly.

“I'll have your ship running again in no time.” Washu said, shaking her head.

With a sniffle, Mihoshi turned to James and Rainbow Dash and bowed. “I'm sorry.”

“It's alright,” James said with a sigh, “honestly I should have anticipated this.”

“This happens a lot?” Rainbow Dash asked as James knelt beside her and gently began toweling her hair.

“Yep.” Ryoko answered as she lounged midair.

“What on earth happened?” Tenchi asked as he came running around the corner of the house, slowing as he saw the group. “Oh, I see now.” He said uncomfortably before he began to laugh. “I guess you'll have to wait just a bit longer.”

“Not to much,” Washu casually said as she examined several schematics on a translucent screen. “Yukinojyo just needs the water purged from his engines again. I'll have it done in about an hour.”

“I wonder why the Galaxy Police saw fit for Mihoshi to be the one to bring them to the academy?” Ayeka asked quietly, looking out over the lake as a silver and black, long and pointy ship began to rise from the water.

“Oh, I know that!” Mihoshi happily said as she faced Ayeka. “Aunt Mikami said we were handling this privately. I think it's because he's a head of state.”

“That makes even less sense, Mihoshi.” Ryoko chastised

“Makes sense to me.” James said as he stood up and dropped his haori, catching it and twisting the water out of it. “This isn't exactly an official visit, and we're staying at the academy as guests of the Kuramitsu family. To keep a low profile Mihoshi has to be the one to take us there.”

“She's not the only Galaxy Police officer cleared for the Sol system anymore.” Ayeka commented.

James draped his towel across his shoulders as he turned to Ayeka. “I'm not sure Seina would have been a better option.”

“Yeah,” Mihoshi happily said, “since it's not an official visit, Aunt Mikami can't really order officers to run what's basically a personal errand. Since I'm family, it's all okay.”

“Before you get going, I'd like to examine Pinkie Pie.” Washu said, not looking away from her work. “Once is a coincidence, but if it's reliable as you've said I want understand it a bit better.”

“I've already tried, it can't be explained.” Twilight answered.

“You'd be surprised the things we can learn with a bit of modern technology.” Washu countered.

“Okie-dokie, Smokie.” Pinkie said, happily bouncing around.

Author's Note:

Honestly, I bet Tenchi deals with enough chaos in his life that anything the ponies brought would be taken in stride.