• Published 21st Nov 2020
  • 855 Views, 47 Comments

Swift Light and the Chaos Conundrum - Jest



Swift Light has been commanded by Celestia herself to retrieve several lost chaotic artifacts of legend. The quest is a difficult one that will necessitate change. Though Swift Light may not be ready for just how much change.

  • ...
7
 47
 855

Starlight Twist

Twenty minutes later, and Swift Light was on her way once more, the mare making her way towards the center of town. Her teeth gnashed, her jaw clenched tightly and her mind whirled with the realization that her sister was out here of all places. Not only that but she was already on the trail of what were likely the exact same nerdowells Swift Light had already fought once before.

It felt like something princess Celestia would do in order to get a laugh, while also ensuring things remained secret. Though it bothered the guard that she hadn't been in the loop, and that she would have to work with her sister, at least Swift Light had a direction. Looking around the town, Swift Light searched for the taller wood and stone building that her sibling was supposedly staying at.

The place was apparently an inn at one point, but now it only housed the bar’s owner and his family while also having a lower level that people could potentially rent out. If the minotaur’s words were true then it likely wasn't the best accommodation, though it was fairly cheap. Hopefully it came with room service, as Swift Light’s stomach was beginning to rumble quite vigorously at that point.

Finding herself at the entrance, Swift Look looked around the sides of the structure, searching for the cellar door she had been told about. After finding the aged wooden entrance, the guard clopped her hoof against it twice in rapid succession before stepping back. In the silence that followed, Swift Light inspected the aged stone structure that served as the town’s only watering hole.

Though it didn't appear to have been updated this century, the place was sturdy, and built on a large stone foundation. The clip clop of hooves coming from within the structure directed Swift Light’s attention down, to where the cellar entrance had been pushed open. Looking down into the narrow space, the unicorn saw a frowning blue furred face looking up at her.

After a moment, the clearly feminine face twisted into a scrunch, her sharp blue eyes narrowing and her white brows furrowing. “How are you even here, and how did you find me?” She asked, her voice tinged with curiosity and confusion in equal measure.

Swift Light sighed. “In order, it's a long story, and some minotaur told me.”

The pegasus fluffed her wings, resettling the feathers which started as dark blue as her coat and faded all the way to white at their tips. “I knew I should have been more secretive,” she muttered to herself. “And what do you mean it's a long story? What happened and why is your voice so… off?”

The unicorn glanced left and right before leaning in. “Look I’ll tell you everything soon. Would you please invite me inside already?”

“You didn't get turned into a vampire or something, did you?” questioned the pegasus, who ran a hoof through her white and teal mane.

“No I did not get turned into a vampire,” Swift Light replied with an exasperated sigh.

“Well then I suppose there is no harm in inviting you in,” the pegasus replied, taking a step back and extending a hoof. “Welcome to my humble hole.”

Swift Light frowned as she trotted down the rickety steps and into the basement. “Thank you Starlight Twist. It is nice to get out of the sun.”

“Did I just hear my sister complain about being in the sun too long? Now I know something is wrong.” Remarked Starlight, who pretended to clean her ear with a hoof.

“Ha ha. Very funny,” deadpanned the other mare, who looked around the rather disheveled space, her gaze falling on the pile of papers and a large table set up in the middle of the room. “I assume you are here for the same reason I am?”

The pegasus pulled shut the cellar doors and locked them securely before trotting over to the other mare and laying a wing on her back. “That depends. Are you actually my sister?” replied the pegasus coldly.

“Are there changelings all the way out here?” asked the guard, who didn't flinch when she felt the hidden blade rest against her back.

“There might be,” offered Starlight Twist mysteriously.

Swift Light hummed thoughtfully. “I suppose I could reminisce about all your embarrassing attempts at love, but I would rather like to relax sometime today.”

“Now who's being the funny one? Besides, my attempts at finding a partner are public knowledge so it wouldn't help your case,” pressed the pegasus.

“You never really were the most subtle, despite how much you tease me for being so bull headed,” Swift Light smirked. “But let's just cut right to it. You are actually super proud of your birthmark. It makes you feel special, as if you were chosen by Luna or something.”

The pegasus blinked, and looked down her snout to the small crescent moon shaped bit of white fur above her upper lip on the left side of her face. “I… never told anyone that,” she muttered after a brief pause.

“Except when you were alone in the bathroom one morning when you were going to school to become a teacher,” Swift Light countered. “From what I gathered someone teased you and you didn't particularly like that. You really should close the door when you use the toilet by the way, it's weird that you don't.”

The pegasus recoiled, retrieving her wing. “I will have you know that it is quite freeing. You should try loosening up sometime!”

Swift Light rolled her eyes. “So do you believe who I say I am or what?”

Starlight Twist sighed. “I guess. Though I’m a little weirded out that you won't take off your scarf thingie inside. It's not like you need to worry about the sand inside.”

The guard gripped the end of the peice of cloth and frowned. “It's a bit unnerving, so don't freak out.”

“Pfft, after catching you making out with your Celestia body pillow I don't think I could ever be unnerved again,” retorted the pegasus dismissively.

“That was-” Swift Light growled, and tore off the scarf. “There, now do you think this is a laughing matter?”

Starlight Twist blinked. “Um… what am I supposed to be looking at? Cus as far as I can tell you haven't gotten any uglier.”

Swift Light face hooved, and lit her horn, dismissing the illusion she had forgotten about. “There, now does it make sense?”

“Are those real?” Starlight Twist pressed, leaning forward.

“Quite real I’m afraid. I watched the old ones fall right out of my mouth,” Swift Light remarked bitterly.

Starlight Twist prodded one of the sharp teeth with a hoof. “Wow. They are real, and real sharp too.”

Swift Light rolled her eyes. “Why do you always have to poke everything to see if it's real? One of these times your going to end up with more than just a pricked hoof.”

The pegasus waved her bleeding hoof dismissively. “It's all part of the magical process my dear Swifty. Those of us without horns must rely on our other senses and other information gathering techniques.”

“Yeah yeah, now can you tell me how to fix them?” Swift Light demanded.

The other mare trotted over to a nearby end table and retrieved a bandage from a bag, applying it to her hoof with practiced ease. “I assume you tried the usual routine of healing spells and counterspells?” She asked.

“Of course. I’m not an idiot,” Swift Light retorted.

Starlight Twist trotted over to the main pile of papers, and retreived a wand from beneath a rather tall stack, causing it to spill everywhere. The mare was unbothered by this though, and put the peice of wood into her mouth before walking back over to the other pony.

“I’m not insulting you, I just have to ask,” replied the pegasus in a low tone.

“Right. I’m sorry, it's just this entire thing has become really stressful,” Swift Light remarked tiredly. “You would not believe what I’ve had to go through over the last few days and I’ve only managed to get one of the artifacts.”

“Oh so you did manage to get the first one?” Asked the pegasus, before she leaned forward, her wand glowing as she focused on Swift Light’s mouth.

The guard made sure to pull back her lips as much as possible, giving her sister an unobstructed view of her altered teeth. “It's in my bag, and I’m hoping you’ll be able to point me towards my next target.”

“And fix your face,” Starlight Twist finished, her wand flashing brightly.

Swift Light winced. “Yeah pretty much.”

“Alright then, start from the beginning,” Starlight Twist insisted.

The guard breathed deeply. “Alright, so I was sent to this fishing village right, and…”

Author's Note:

If you want to read the next updates for my biggest stories at the begining of the month rather at the end, or want to get a commission from me as well as access to patreon exclusive content, and the chance to submit story requests every month, head over to my patreon!

Join me over on patreon and get instant access to exclusive content and early looks at new stories, patreon only stories and other great stuff! Check it out!
Or just join the discord to ensure that you dont miss an update.
This update was made possible by the wonderful support of readers like you: Gear Change, John, Vindistic Shadow, Jordan, Megawott06, Fiamgoku, 浩民 簡, Nightwing, Jwarrior, Travis, Rhys, Hannibal, Dragon's Sheppard, Venerable RO, Corey, BeenMcsqueen, Mop Hop, Dale, Xvos1337, Nathan, Blade Tech, Tiwake, Free, Octavia&lowbar, GruB, Lich Lord Krosis, Todd, Canaray in the coal mine, Prysm, Mephia, Mike, Astor, Steven, Soundtea, Megatyrant, Ceepert, Menthol Qtip, Peter, Nfreak, Mikhalia, Doomgooey, Craig, Mirvra, Ivar, Starless, Apollyon6024, Facinus, M, Vigilant Watch, Pacsik, Kali, Makani, Diokyo.