• Published 15th Nov 2020
  • 751 Views, 115 Comments

Starshot: Bats of the High Wilderness - Tums Festival



A group of ponies accidentally activate a dormant alien spacecraft. Things only go downhill from there... Or uphill, depending on who you ask. | In Part II, the ponies attempt to befriend a resistance group opposing the evil Oblivion Empire.

  • ...
2
 115
 751

No Gods

"Pharynx! What in the name of Tartarus were you thinking!?" Luna roared, actually taking the stern changeling aback somewhat. An occasion almost worthy of celebration if she wasn’t so furious. "Do you have any clue how dangerous that was!? Not just for relations, but for both you and your niece!?"

She pointed at Ocellus, who simpered.

Pharynx took a deep breath, trying to regain his composure. "I apologize for going behind your back, but I didn't think you would allow such a mission otherwise."

"You're damned right I wouldn't!" Luna snapped.

"However, wouldn't you say it was worth it?" Pharynx countered. "We now know the NLR is plotting against us!"

Luna was about to launch another wave of shouts at him, when she paused, his words fully absorbed. "Yes, I am," she said, trying to cool her temper. "But I would have preferred to find out in a less risky way."

"I was once the best infiltrator in the Changeling Empire," Pharynx said. "For cycles, I impersonated high ranking officials of multiple nations, including your own. Never once did they suspect a thing.” His eyes seemed to twinkle for a moment. “Never once did you suspect a thing, I should add. Trust me when I say this: there was no risk."

“Never did I suspect anything?” Luna asked pensively.

“Didn’t read Section 65 of the Neo Changeling - Equestrian treaty? The one about full disclosure?”

“I did not,” Luna stated. “My sister handled those particular negotiations.”

“Nevermind, then,” Pharynx sighed.

“Quit trying to obfuscate!” Luna growled. "Your dubious history aside, you still went behind my back. And for that, I am placing you on probation for a month. Any more activities such as this and you shall be removed from duty."

"Captain!" Ocellus squeaked.

"Ocellus, no," Pharynx warned. “Do not--”

"Yes, young one?" Luna said, trying to soften the harshness in her tone.

Ocellus swallowed hard. "Uncle Pharynx doesn't deserve to take the full blame."

"Ocellus!" Pharynx snapped.

"Because it was my idea!" she finally cried.

The room stood silent. Luna gazed at her pensively.

"Your idea?" Luna said.

"She's just trying to defend me," Pharynx grunted, shooting his niece a look. "Admirable, but not necessary."

"No, that's not true!" Ocellus argued. "I was the one who wanted to double-check on them!”

“Kid, stop talking right now!” Pharynx ordered.

Ocellus ignored him. “Uncle Pharynx didn't want to do it. But when I told him I'd try on my own, he wouldn't have it. Said I'd need his help."

Luna couldn't help but feel baffled. "B-But… but why? You are a student of Twilight's school. I would have thought trust would be a big part…"

"She did teach us trust," Ocellus said. "But Cozy Glow… after everything she did, she taught me something else: trust, but verify."

"I see…" Luna sighed.

"Captain," Pharynx said stiffly. "She's still just a kid. Don't screw her over for this. Especially since I could have stopped her."

Luna closed her eyes. "Fine. No punishments this time. We have graver matters to discuss, anyway. You stated Crescent was not entirely sure of this course of action?"

"Yes," Pharynx said in a neutral tone, though Luna could detect the slightest hint of relief in his voice. "Her facial expressions, her wavering voice… she was deeply conflicted."

Luna smiled slightly. "Then there may still be hope that our relationship can be salvaged."

“Salvaged?” Pharynx chuckled darkly, looking at her skeptically. "We shouldn’t even let her touch the ship until we're sure she won't try anything."

"I agree," Luna nodded. "We won't allow any of them to do so… at least until one of them reveals the truth."

There was a knock on the door to the ready room.

"Come," Luna called.

Spike flew in, an excited grin on his face, and half a slice of gem one in one of his claws. "Luna! You won't believe who's coming to visit! It's--"

He paused, presumably noting the strained look on everypony's faces.

"Alright, what did I miss?"

--

With a heavy heart, Crescent, with Broiler in tow, boarded the Starshot once more. They did not come unprepared, however, as Broiler was dragging a cart with a large amount of computer hardware behind her. And in her claws was a datapad.

Despite the corridor they were walking down being empty, Crescent still felt she was being watched by judgemental eyes.

"So…" Broiler gulped, glancing about nervously. "Have you made up your mind, yet? Are we doing the thing? The War Council did advise that if we could do it, we should."

Crescent carried on silently, not giving her an answer.

"C-Cus I kind of, um, need to know sooner than later," Broiler pointed out.

Crescent exhaled. "Just… meet me in the Computer Core room. I… need to get me head straight. Don't start until I get there."

"Um… right," Broiler coughed. "Though about that. Which way is the Core room again?"

"I can help with that," a new, stern voice stated.

Around the corner came a scary sight: the scarred figure of Luna's Chief of Security, Tempest Shadow. Her cold eyes bore until Crescent like knives.

"O-Oh, Ms. Shadow," Crescent gulped. "Hello there. Ya’ really live up to yer name, ya know?”

“In what way?” Tempest asked.

“In how sneaky ya’ are! Almost threstral-like!”

Tempest cocked an eyebrow. “I suppose I should be honored.”

“You should be!” Crescent said. “H-How long have you been there?"

Tempest's expression almost forcefully turned neutral. "Only a second. Captain Luna wished for me to meet you. She wasn't sure if you knew the way."

"Oh, well…" Crescent coughed. "Good timing. Broiler could use a guide."

Tempest cocked her head slightly. "And you?"

"I have some personal business to do before I join in," Crescent said, trying to steal her resolve. "If you don't mind."

"Not at all," Tempest said. "Go on. I'll take care of your 'comrade'."

Broiler gave Crescent a wary glance.

"Alrighty," Crescent said, returning the look. "Just try to stay out of trouble until then, okay?"

"Er, right," Broiler coughed, beginning to follow Tempest as she trotted away.

Crescent took a deep breath once they were gone. "Nightmare have mercy. I hate this."

Feeling a tremendous weight on her shoulders, Crescent made her way to the Starshot's sickbay. The doors swung open to reveal a decontamination chamber, surprising Crescent slightly. The Empire wasn't exactly lacking when it came to medical technology, but in terms of prioritizing the wounded, it wasn't high on their list. If the cost of replacing someone was less than healing them, the Empire took the former option.

Shrugging off her momentary surge of hatred for the Empire, she slowly stepped into it.

"Please hold your breath," a robotic voice said.

Crescent complied, and immediately after, a strange mist began to fill the chamber, only to be sucked out a half a minute later. Wondering how dangerous it would have been if she inhaled the stuff, Crescent exited into the medical bay itself.

Of course, this still didn't protect patients from anything inside her. Naturally, her sister was on top of this, represented by a few medical masks hanging from a nearby hook. Close was a paper sign with writing in both Old Equestrian and ‘modern’: For patient and visitor safety, please take a mask.

It was punctuated with a smiley face.

Crescent rolled her eyes before taking one and placing it over her mouth and nose. She then took a moment to glance about the room. This sickbay was much, much larger than that on the Tyrant’s End. It was also decked out with more medical equipment relative to its size than any Oblivion ship she had been on.

In modern times, the Empire treating the more ‘worthy’ species - the umbral, thestrals, and shog - was their primary concern. If ‘lesser’ species were injured they had to treat themselves with first aid kits most of the time. However, it appeared once upon a time, the Empire thought differently. With plenty of (still uncomfortable) beds, IV drips, monitoring devices, and medical supply cabinets, this place could probably have handled a full crew without much of a problem. Granted, some of it was brought over from her old ship, but the majority must have been dusted off (and probably thoroughly sterilized) by Waning.

It was an odd thought: the Empire at one point being less evil than today. Though perhaps they simply had less bodies to throw into their numerous wars back then.

A tap on her shoulder broke her out of her pondering. If it wasn’t for her echo-location letting her subconscious know the familiar signature of her sister was approaching, she would have been shocked. Instead, she simply turned around to meet her smiling face.

“Hey, sis,” Crescent said, trying to keep a neutral tone.

She gave a quick wave, though her smile quickly turned to a pensive look. She must have seen through her facade; something was amiss.

‘Is all well?’ she signed.

“Er…” Crescent coughed. “Well… no… not really.” A thought came to her; one which would allow her to put off the conversation. “Where’s your patients?”

Waning pointed to a more darkly lit part of the room; probably for her patient’s comfort. Sleeping soundly were both a unicorn and a buffalo; bandages covering up whatever wounds they had. Though they did have two devices on their foreheads she hadn’t seen before.

‘I just got done performing minor surgery,’ Waning explained.

“Oh, anesthetics?” Crescent asked.

Waning shook her head, a new smile on her. ‘No, they’re out from…’ She paused, as if figuring out how to sign something. ‘Delta-wave inducers. Rare Oblivion medical tech. Haven’t seen one in many moons. Keeps creatures sleeping sound as long as it's on their foreheads.’

“One of the many neat toys aboard this tug,” Crescent sighed, glancing away from her. “Toys that are gonna go to--”

She paused, leaving the two in awkward silence.

‘Go to waste?’ Waning asked.

“Well… yeah,” Crescent grunted.

‘The Gardeners may very well use this technology on their homeworld,’ Waning argued, before glancing at her sister pensively. ‘Though you believe it would be better used in our hooves, don’t you?

“How’d you guess?” Crescent asked.

Waning gave a silent chuckle. ‘I’ve thought the same things. That perhaps this ship would do more good in our stewardship. That the Equestrians may indeed not be ready to handle such technology. But Princess Luna…’

“Ugh, not this again,” Crescent groaned. “Look, I get it. She seems okay for a monarch, but she’s no Nightmare Moon.”

No, she’s better,’ Waning said defiantly.

“What?! That’s a loada crap if I’ve ever heard it!” Crescent growled. “Sure, yeah, Luna tried to help our people, but it was just through lip service. She never had the guts to start a revolution! To really kick things inta’ high gear. Nightmare Moon did!”

“How do you know Nightmare Moon did it out of the kindness of her heart?” Waning asked.

“Oh come on,” Crescent scoffed. “Haven’t you read Blackshirts and Blue? Why would somepony like her be selfish, huh? If ya’ can have success as a revolutionary, ya’ might as well just join the status quo. Easier time gettin’ power there. Ya’ know, like Luna was doing.”

Nightmare Moon was trying to do something the status quo wouldn’t accept,” Waning countered. “But something that still would have helped her. Most revolutionaries do not have such… abstract goals as ‘eternal night’.”

“Mph.”

“It doesn’t matter, though,” Waning frantically signed. “Nightmare’s gone. Luna’s here now. A piece of our past long lost has returned. Isn’t that alone worth celebrating? Must we really let ideological differences get in the way of friendship?”

“Friendship,” Crescent sighed. “Yeah…”

“Hm?”

“Let me ask you something. If you had the chance ta’… ta’ make this ship our own, would ya’ take it? Like you said, we could do a lot with it… Liberate dozens of systems, save millions o’ lives ...”

Crescent half-expected her sister to give her a verbal (metaphorically) beatdown for even suggesting this, but instead, she just gazed at her quizzically for a moment, before finally answering with:

“Why does it have to be binary?”

Crescent rolled her eyes. “Speak our language, not a computer’s, thank ya’ kindly.”

Waning silently sighed. “Why is the choice between seizing the ship and not getting its help?”

“What, you think the Gardeners are gonna help us?” Crescent laughed bitterly. “Yer off yer heid. They just want ta’ get home. They dun’ wanna get mixed up in this mess.”

“Have you even bothered to ask them?” Waning asked. “How do you know that?”

“Other than this ship having kids aboard it?” Crescent asked. “It’s cus Luna doesn’t care about us anymore, for the night’s sake.” She glanced away from Waning, sorrowfully. “She never really did.”

“That is not true,” Waning signed with forceful, angry motions. “And you need to understand that before you do something barbaric. Morality is not relative. Big Blue himself taught us that. If we started looking at it that way, a good enough argument could justify even the Empire’s atrocities. As he said: ‘Our in-built sense of right and wrong has got us this far. Why throw it away? Sometimes, you just gotta go with your gut. Your feelings.’ So let me ask you: does stealing the Starshot feel right to you? Because if it does, we might as well start painting pirate crossbones on our hulls.”

Crescent swallowed hard. “If I don’t do it, somepony else will… Strong Voice will figure out a way.”

“Not if you do the right thing,” Waning signed, slightly less forcefully. “Tell Big Blue. And most importantly: tell Princess Luna.”