• Published 15th Nov 2020
  • 748 Views, 115 Comments

Starshot: Bats of the High Wilderness - Tums Festival



A group of ponies accidentally activate a dormant alien spacecraft. Things only go downhill from there... Or uphill, depending on who you ask. | In Part II, the ponies attempt to befriend a resistance group opposing the evil Oblivion Empire.

  • ...
2
 115
 748

The Dagger in Reach

“Grubber, did I ever tell you how much I love your coffee cakes?” Luna asked, sitting at a cafeteria table - alone - and scarfing down another bunch of them. “Because I really, really love your coffee cakes.”

“Heh, thanks, princess,” Grubber smiled. “Though uh, you know you’re supposed to drink coffee with them, not Earl Hay Tea, right?”

“Perhaps,” Luna said. “Though I believe I’ve drank enough coffee for one lifetime. Besides, I like the flavor.”

“You’re totally not just drinking it because it’s what that captain you like likes, right?” Grubber snarked. “Captain Quick Shard or whatever?”

Luna glanced about, before smirking Grubber’s way. “I believe it may be the source of his diplomatic prowess. I shall unlock the secret.”

Grubber rolled his eyes. “Just keep in mind we don’t have a big stock of it, okay?”

“Perhaps, if all goes well, we can trade with the NLR for something similar,” Luna smiled. “I have high hopes Spike can--”

She paused when she noticed Grubber was no longer listening. Instead, he was turning his attention to the door of the cafeteria. “Uh… hi? Can I get you something?”

Confused, Luna turned to look as well. Though such confusion quickly gave way to intrigue. Peaking shyly into the cafeteria was Crescent Moon’s sister, Waning Moon. As soon as she saw Luna looking back at her, her eyes widened, and she quickly ducked away.

Luna quirked an eyebrow, before calling: “You may come in if you wish. This cafeteria is open to all.”

Slowly and nervously, Waning Moon peeked her head back in, before cautiously making her way in. Avoiding looking at Luna, she made her way to the cafeteria food bar.

“Hey, I’m Grubber, by the way,” the hedgehog said warmly. “Glad to see another new face around here. Grab whatever you want. Though if you want me to whip ya’ up something, that’s cool, too.”

Smiling politely at the hedgehog, she reached over to grab a small fruit cup, then glanced about the room, as if looking for a table.

“Come and join me,” Luna invited, gesturing to the seat across the table. “Dr. Waning Moon, yes?”

She froze for a second, glancing at the seat. Swallowing hard, she nodded Luna’s way then made her way over.

‘I wonder why she’s so nervous around me?’ Luna wondered. 'None of the others are like that. The exact opposite, in fact.’

Waning Moon sat. She then used one of her fangs to pierce the wrapper of the fruit cup, before ripping the rest open. Slowly, continuing to avoid Luna’s eyes, she lifted it and drank some of the contents, her eyes widening in delight afterwards. In less than a few seconds, she swallowed the rest of it, smacking her lips afterwards.

Luna blinked. She looked away from her, not wanting to be rude.

“Don’t get actual fruit often, do ya’?” Grubber chuckled.

Waning looked towards him, shaking her head.

“Huh?” Luna asked.

“Yeah, I talked with a few others from their crew,” Grubber said. “Waning and friends here mainly eat some kind of algae paste. Easier to store or something like that. Only time they get anything better is at big stations like Firefall.

Waning nodded.

“Feel free to dig into some more, then,” Luna smiled. “Friends still share, no matter their... differing ideologies.”

Waning beamed a look of thanks at Luna. It didn’t take her long to grab another cup and sit back down.

“So… how are your patients doing?” Luna asked.

Crescent paused, before slowly making a series of arm movements towards Luna.

“Ah, Old Equestrian sign language,” Luna nodded. “My apologies - I am a bit rusty. Are you saying they’re… they’re stable?”

Waning nodded.

“I am glad to hear that,” Luna said. “Though you’re certain you don’t wish to transport them over to Firefall? Our facilities must be antiquated in comparison.”

Waning shook her head, before signing: “Older but more diverse. More than adequate. Thank you for letting us use them.”

“Our pleasure,” Luna said. “It’s just a shame they have to be used in the first place.”

Waning sighed inaudibly. “Unfortunately, this is the usual outcome after a fight with the Empire.” Luna nodded in understanding, not exactly knowing what to say to that. Waning paused a second as well, before signing once more: “May I ask you something, princess?"

“Please, just Luna is fine,” Luna said.

“My apologies,” she said. "My question may be a bit blunt… Please do not take offense."

“No worries,” Luna said. “What do you wish to ask?”

She seemed hesitant once more, before slowly signing: “Many of my people say you did nothing for thestrals. That Nightmare Moon was the only one to raise a hoof. Yet… others say you did everything you could without using violence.

Luna glanced at her curiously. It appeared Doctor Whooves was correct; time had twisted their perception of the past. Wanting to pick the thestral doctor’s mind a little, she answered with another question: “What do you believe?”

“I believe the latter,” she said. “I always have, but seeing you in the flesh... You seem kind and wise and wholesome. I just wish the others would see it that way.” She frowned sorrowfully. “Please, don’t hold it against them.”

Luna had to admit: she was a bit shocked at this. The sister of Crescent Moon, who didn’t seem to want anything to do with her, was worried about Luna’s opinion on them?

“I…” Luna said, swallowing hard, and feeling a warmth rising in her. “No, I don’t hold it against them. The only person I hold something against is myself. I should have done more all those years ago. I’m sorry.”

“Uh…” Grubber called, raising an eyebrow at the scene.“What’s going on?”

Luna and Waning glanced at each other, as if both had forgotten someone else was in the room. They quickly chuckled, the former replying with: “Just a little heart to heart.”

"Captain, Tempest requests your presence in the brig,” the computer suddenly squawked, interrupting the two. “The Steward wishes to speak with you."

Luna sighed, annoyed that this conversation was ending so soon. ’Right when I was making a connection, she wants to talk.’

Even though the Steward hadn't asked for her since their meeting a week ago, Luna still wasn't surprised that she had asked for her. It was only a matter of time before she realized Luna was not desperate for information.

"Can you ask Tempest what the Steward wants?" Luna asked.

"Stand by."

"I am not standing," Luna smiled, gesturing at her seat, and earning a silent chuckle from Waning. "I am in fact sitting."

"..."

"Nevermind."

A few seconds later, the computer chimed in again: "The Steward wishes to speak about ‘your new friends. And your old one.’"

And there went any hope of Luna enjoying the rest of her day.

***

"I don't know what friends you speak of," Luna said to the Steward, trying her best to keep coy. She stood before her in the brig, the energy sheet flickering between the two. "We are as alone out here as we've ever been. Do you know something we do not?"

The Steward chuckled, her glowing smile turning into a smirk. "Nice try. Lying isn't in your nature, is it? You are someone who values action over deceit; at least from what I’ve seen."

“I’m still at a loss,” Luna said.

The Steward’s tone grew serious.. "I know you've met the NLR. I know you've met Song. Even now, the former's stench wavers through your corridors. Unwashed, uncleansed. And as for Song… his subharmonic transmission wasn't so 'subharmonic' to everyone. Being merged with an umbral has benefits you could only dream of."

“Merged?” Luna said, glancing at her pensively. “So, you weren’t always as you are. These ‘umbral’... they can exist as separate entities, yes?”

“In a sense,” she said. “If you want to learn more, drop the games. Let’s talk candidly.”

Luna gave her a blank look. "Very well. Though what is it you want? Because my original stance stands: there will be no parley."

"I no longer desire information," the Steward said bluntly. "Though I do desire to live."

Luna raised an eyebrow. "We have no plans for an execution. Equestrians do not believe in capital punishment."

"It is not you whom I'm worried about," the Steward said. "It's the traitors. They will try to extradite me, you know. Especially since one of them… one of them has a very familiar stench."

"Who?" Luna asked.

"A traitor spawned from a another traitor," she said. "You learned about what transpired aboard my ship via an engineer's logs, yes? That engineer had a name: Quarter Moon…"

A sudden jolt of dread washed through Luna. 'Oh no.'

The Steward glanced away from her. "And that engineer also had… a daughter.”

--

“... So my thoughts are that if we flash the code relating to their internal systems and sodder what’s left with our own - modified to account for antiquity - it should let them get back to back to normal without any problems. We will also keep their computer’s memory intact for the most part… well, what’s left of it. Still not sure what’s going on there.”

Crescent, Strong Voice, and a Broiler, sat around a round table in a small meeting room aboard Firefall Station.

“I think that could work,” Broiler nodded at Crescent, pushing her spectacles up towards her eyes. “Obviously, though, we’ll need specs on every last system to adjust.”

Crescent smiled. Despite being a nervous wreck on her bridge, Broiler was actually the most competent computer technician on the station. She just needed a cool head to do her job effectively. And since she now had one, if she said it would work, then it would work.

“Hopefully those aren't corrupted,” Crescent nodded. “If not, I’ll have’ta dig into their guts - the service marks should still be there. One thing the Empire’s good at, it’s labellin’.”

Strong, however, didn't seem to be interested in the conversation. Instead, she simply occasionally nodded along, lost in her own thoughts. Finally, near the tail end of it, she finally blurted out: "Crescent. What would you say the combat capabilities of that ship are?"

Crescent gave her an annoyed look. "What? That's not what we're chattin’ about. Were ya' even paying attention!?"

"That's not my field of expertise," Strong said. "Just humor me, okay?"

Crescent rolled her eyes. "Fine, ya bloody gun wank. It has two 300 meter long slash two meter diameter Magnetic Shard Accelerator cannons as its primary armament. Even for how old the bloomin' thing is, those pups could rip through the armor of anything even the UFP have."

"And the Empire has, I'd imagine," Strong pondered.

Crescent gazed at her uneasily. "Aye."

--

“Crescent Moon…” Luna gasped. “… How could I have not seen it?!”

"Her father was furious with her when she joined the NLR," the Steward told Luna matter of factly. “His loyalty to the Deep Ones remained pure. I remember feeling… proud of him. I spoke with him many times in private, allowing him to vent his grief." She gazed away from Luna. "His daughter hated him for staying, yet family is important to threstrals above all else. If she were to figure out what happened, she would move void and star to bring me to trial.”

Luna gazed at her with spite. "Wouldn’t she have a right to? Wouldn't they all? I've seen the crimes you've committed against your own people. I can only imagine what you've done to your enemy."

The Steward cocked her head. "In war, I’ve done no worse than they have to us. And aboard the Singularity’s Ascent, I acted in self-defense. Is that worthy of the death penalty they will surely sentence me?"

“I do not believe they would go so far,” Luna said, softening her tone slightly. "But I will ask for assurances that that will not transpire, nonetheless."

The Steward laughed bitterly. "And you think they'll honor them? I did not expect such naivety from you, Star Speaker, especially from one who has fought in wars before. You've seen what just a few cycles of them can do to creatures. Imagine a war fought for centuries? Desperate times can lead many down paths that strip away the tender skin of morality and ethics, leaving only a bitter core."

"Enough," Luna said. "I have already had enough cynicism for a dozen lifetimes. I will not allow you to turn me against potential friends. Against my Children of the Night."

The Steward growled angrily, jutting forward in her cell, her face practically kissing the forcefield. It was right before Luna's own. Despite being unnerved, Luna didn't flinch.

"I am not manipulating you, princess," she hissed. "I am trying to save you from your own stupidity - and in turn, myself! Tell me, other than what they told you: do you truly know anything about those whom you've allowed to parade about this ship? What they might be capable of!?"

Luna glanced away from her, remaining silent.

--

"... And so, once we're done with repairing their computer, we're just going to allow that kind of firepower to… walk away?" Strong asked.

"I really don't like what you're implying here," Crescent said, gazing at her suspiciously.

Broiler gulped nervously. "Should I uh… should I leave?"

Strong ignored her, now staring down at Crescent. "I'm implying that that ship could turn the tide of this war. Implying that we could actually go on the offensive for once. How much territory have we lost in just the last few cycles? Two supply systems and half The Web, the latter of which is looking worse and worse now that Song’s here."

Crescent shook her head. "I don't think they're interested in fighting our battles."

Strong gazed at her pensively. "That… isn't what I'm talking about."

"Stop right there, then," Crescent snapped. "I've been tryin' to give ya the benefit of the doubt here, but--"

"But you'll continue to entertain the idea of leaving an Oblivion Superdreadnought in the hooves of backwards primitives?"

Crescent glared at her. "Primitives? What are ya' blatherin' about?"

"From what you've described, those who control it are as archaic in ideology as technology," Strong growled.

"Well, yeah," Crescent coughed. "Honestly, I wasn’t thrilled about em’ at first, either. But calling em' bad people is outa line. They aren't the Empire. Sure, they still have hierarchies, but that’s the only thing in common with em’ that I can see.”

“For now,” Strong said. “But what do you think they’d do with such a weapon once they return to Equis? Assuming they’re who they say they are, of course. ‘Captain Luna’ could use it to take control of their entire planet! Bring it directly under her hoof.”

Crescent raised an eyebrow. “Even the Empire doesn’t want ta’ try messing with Equis with their big honkin’ fleet. What luck would she have with a single ship? As tough as it might be?”

“S-She has a point, you know,” Broiler nodded nervously.

“It would still give her and her home nation a significant advantage over the others,” Strong pointed out. “Tell me, Crescent: you’ve spent the most time with them so far. Do you truly believe they won’t abuse such power?”

Crescent swallowed hard. If there ever was a more biting question…

--

The Steward spoke onward. “Our fleet currently engaging them, the Fleet of Cleansing Fire, outnumbers their own two to one, and it’s being led by Grand Admiral Warp Song, whose abilities I believe you’re familiar with. And that is but a mere faction of our overall forces. If they were not currently keeping a worthier foe at bay, we would have destroyed them and the other dissident rabble long ago.”

Luna glanced at her worriedly. “What other foe would that be?”

“That doesn’t matter,” the Steward growled. “What matters is the NLR is desperate. And they are angry. Enough to do more than just execute me. It would be oh so easy for them to seize this vessel, you know. They know far more about starships than you do.”

Luna gulped. Pharynx and Tempest had just brought up a similar point. An enemy and two friends were telling her the same thing...

The Steward carried on. “Don’t let their self-righteous babble of a heirarchless democracy fool you; the will of the ignorant, profligate masses can lead to the desecration of everything it touches just as easily as a foolish king.”

“Oh, and your rule is so much better for the masses?” Luna laughed.

“The Deep Ones holy vision is pure in its intent,” the Steward said hypnotically. “Their knowledge is so vast that straying from their will is pure selfishness. The acts they order that you consider ‘evil’ always have an ulterior, altruistic purpose. They know what’s best for us, the average creature does not.” She cocked her head slightly. “Even Star Speakers... the very stars themselves are bacteria compared to them. A blink in the eye of the cosmos. After everything else within it crumbles to dust, they shall live on. All that you see in this universe shall be outlasted by those you cannot. Chaos through order, order through chaos!”

“More and more does your entire Empire sound more like a cult than a star nation,” Luna spat. “Yet I did not come here to listen to a sermon.”

You were the one who brought up the subject!” the Steward growled. “By insulting the rule of the Deep Ones!”

Luna closed her eyes. “Yes, and I... regret that, but we had nothing else to speak of. E-Everything you’ve presented about the NLR is based off speculation and assumptions, further tainted by your obvious hatred for them. And this is on the off chance you aren’t simply lying about their capabilities.”

“Ask them yourself then!” the Steward laughed. “Ask them how good they believe their chances are against us!” She cast one of her trademark wicked grins. “Ask them… before it’s too late.”

--

“Before we bat this around any further,” Crescent said, narrowing her eyes. “We’re askin’ the War Council what they think. This is bigger than just us, after all. But I’ll tell ya’ right now that I do not like this one bit. We do somethin’ like it and we’ve crossed a line. Even if I didn’t already make a deal with em’, this would still make me sick to me stomach.”

“But you’re still willing to consider it?” Strong said, smiling slightly.

“I just got me ship blown up!” Crescent hissed. “And kicked out of the captain’s chair for good measure. I’d do almost anything to have a ship like the Starshot under our control. To plow through the Empire like a starvin’ dragon through a gem pile. Blastin’ their fleets into bits and the bits into tinier bits! Just like they have to ours! Almost.

“J-Just wanted to say, I voted to keep you as captain,” Broiler squeaked.

“Appreciated, lass,” Crescent sighed.

“Nocreature likes a hoof licker,” Strong said, shooting an annoyed look at Broiler. “But alright. We’ll get a second opinion. Just do me a favor: try not to get cozier with the Gardeners. You wouldn’t want sentimentality to get in the way of what is to be done, would you?”

“Mph,” Crescent said, glancing away from her. “We’ll see…”

***

Unbeknownst to them, their conversation wasn't entirely private. Having stealthily snuck aboard the station by posing as members of Crescent’s crew, Ocellus and Pharynx had followed them, a skeptical look held in the latter’s eyes. After that, it was a simple matter of Pharynx transforming into a Diamond Dog: his large, fluffy ears now allowing him to easily hear the conversation from a distance. As he did, Ocellus glanced around warily, keeping watch in her threstral form.

Needless to say, when it was over, Pharynx was… displeased. Transforming back into a threstral, he looked towards a worried looking Ocellus, before simply shaking his head. She bowed her own, disappointed, before the two made their way back to the Sharshot.