• Published 11th Nov 2020
  • 3,153 Views, 53 Comments

Roight, wot's all 'dis 'den? - -Watcher-



Local human, Anon, is a pretty normal guy. He goes to work, comes home, hangs around his apartment until bed, sleeps, and repeats. One day though, his friends notice something. . . off about him.

  • ...
4
 53
 3,153

Chapter 2 - Business Loicense

Today was a busy day for Rarity.

To start her off for the day, she was awoken—rudely she might add—by an infernal racket from downstairs. She had risen prematurely from her bed, mane and tail completely disheveled from what had been a disappointingly pitiful night of “sleep,” to find that her sister and company were helping some poor filly by the sounds of it. Somewhere along the way, she observed it to be dreadfully early for this sort of thing.

How early?

Too damn early, that’s how early. At least, that is what she had said to herself. The sun had yet to even crest the horizon, its rays just starting to weakly jut from it.

So, yeah, too damn early.

After she had ushered the all-too-excited fillies outside to find a more appropriate environment for such activities, Rarity had gone through her normal morning routine.

First, shower. Next, brush mane and tail. Third, add color to mane and tail and remember not to add too much as to not attract suspicion. Getting older, Rarity had found herself graying prematurely. Of course, prematurely for her was anytime in her life because gray was too gray. Fourth, make a small breakfast. Fifth, get to work on the day’s specific tasks.

Though she wouldn’t admit it, today had been the perfect day to have been up this early. Today, she had been due for a visit to her Canterlot division, something that she had cursed herself for scheduling the minute she remembered it. She was extremely behind on orders, especially by her standard, and the trip would be making her delay said orders even more.

The three-hour train ride had been painfully dull, as usual. Rarity would have asked for company, but none of her friends were available. With Applejack running the farm, Dash spending most of her time with the Wonderbolts, Pinkie being Pinkie, Fluttershy not liking Canterlot, and Twilight being, well, Princess of the country, Rarity had not been surprised to have to make the journey alone. That didn’t improve her opinion on making the trip alone, of course.

Thankfully, the shop had been running perfectly fine, as was expected. No major concerns with anything had shown, and business was as good as any other time.

With the recent growth in Equestria’s population of more diverse creatures, Rarity had expanded her shops’ horizons a bit, hoping to include more and more creatures in the world of clothing and, by extension, to Equestria. As such, business was honestly the best it had ever been, and not just in Canterlot.

This had all contributed to a very short visit, which hadn’t disappointed Rarity in the slightest. She was in Canterlot for all of maybe an hour tops before she was back on the train for Ponyville. Recent increases in the need for transportation due to Equestria’s sudden boom in population had made catching train rides much, much easier. It also made it cheaper, which did wonders for Rarity’s mood.

Rarity was back in Ponyville before noon, which had left plenty of time for her to catch up on orders.

Unfortunately, upon arriving at her shop, Rarity had found that she forgot to buy supplies while in Canterlot. Normally, she would shrug this off and just purchase material from the local outlets. One had to support the community, after all.

However, this time she lacked something that even the growing hub that was Ponyville didn't have: Dragonhide. Now, though this sounds like a totally barbaric and horrid fabric, it really wasn’t all that bad. It was made from donated dragon scales that were shed, polished, and woven into a glittering beauty that made even Rarity overlook the somewhat disgusting origins.

The revelation had wiped the positive attitude from Rarity’s demeanor faster than Pinkie Pie could say “cherry chimichanga” 100 times fast.

The dress needed to be ready by tomorrow for a particular fitting for a wedding dress for a wedding that the town had been waiting for forever since the two ponies moved in with each other as “roommates.” Missing this was absolutely out of the question for Rarity.

And so, after finishing her other orders to what she would have called “barely passable,” Rarity had boarded yet another train to Canterlot. This trip was even shorter than the last, but it left Rarity drained beyond belief. Though she enjoyed the city and its residents, one can only endure so many posh, self-absorbed ponies saying excuse you when it had clearly been them who had caused a collision of two parties before one snaps.

By the time Rarity had purchased the dress materials, allowing herself to stock-up fully, she was one snarky comment from going off. Her usually peppy step was gone, replaced with a lazy gait that allowed her hooves to drag a little. Her mane and tail were frizzy, ends sticking out at random. Her normally bright smile and welcoming eyes were shrouded in tiredness, irritation, and stress. Thankfully, this seemed to convey to the others that she was not one to be bothered at the moment, making the second walk through the city much more manageable.

The train ride was abnormally quiet. She did not engage in her usual small talk. In reality, she hardly even approached another soul. She hardly saw anyone else. This did not bother Rarity, not even a little. She spent the ride dozing and just generally trying to think about anything else other than work and how much she thought Canterlot was full of asinine, rude ponies.

Rarity appreciated the silence.

And so, there she was: hard at work in her shop, slaving over this utterly ridiculous yet stunning dress that she had gone through hell for. Well, “hell” in the sense that she enjoyed very little about what she went through to get here.

As she worked, Rarity found her thoughts wandering, as they normally did during her process. Many questions were asked inside her mind.

Why in the world did Lyra want a Dragonhide dress?

Why were her sister and her friends up so damn early?

Why in the world did Lyra want a Dragonhide dress?

Who the hell is knocking at her door?

By the time Rarity had actually thought about that last one, the knocking had become more urgent. Her eye twitched, and she felt a migraine settling in for the night.

Lovely, she thought as she rose from the middle of her work to answer the door with the goal of not strangling the poor sod who awaited her. Surprisingly, it was a thought that was more tempting than Rarity had figured it would be.

Coming to the door, Rarity took a deep breath and rubbed her temple gently. She then opened the door.

What stood before Rarity in that moment irreversibly pushed her thoughts of strangling and dressmaking to the farthest reaches of her fatigue-ridden mind. It was Anon, dressed in what Rarity could only assume was an officer’s outfit. Her eyes traced him from his impossibly polished shoes all the way to his perfectly placed hat.

Rarity’s eye twitched.

She gawked for what seemed an eternity before Anon cleared his throat and spoke, a brightness in his eyes and kindness in his voice.

“‘Ello, mum. ‘As the evenin’ been treatin’ you alroight?”

Rarity’s eyes widened and the right one twitched again. She said nothing.

“Mum? Are you alroight? You seem ta be lookin’ a bit. . . uh, pale. Yeah, ‘hats the roight word, I think.” Anon’s voice, as strange and different as it was, had an unmistakable concern woven into it that Rarity almost found endearing. Almost.

Snapping out of her stupor, Rarity shook her head and massaged her temple once more. She cleared her throat.

“Oh, yes, my apologies, Anon. It has been a rather long day, and I apologize for my rudeness. Please, come in,” she said, ushering the man in with a welcoming hoof.

Anon seemed to beam at the invitation as he accepted the offer and walked into the messy boutique. The clicks made by his shoes seemed to echo endlessly off of the rather small, cramp walls of the shop, which made Rarity pause once more as she watched him enter. As Anon studied his surroundings with a bemused half-grin, Rarity continued to massage her temple as she closed the door.

“So, Anon, for what do I owe the pleasure of your visit this evening?” Rarity tried to hide the tiredness and edge in her voice, but she felt her efforts were, frankly, horrid.

If Anon noticed anything, he didn’t show it. His eyes scanned the room with a sort of confusion, like he wasn’t sure why he was here all of a sudden. Rarity thought she saw a flicker of fear, but it was quickly shoved aside by a blanket of calm and professionalism that unnerved Rarity. In the end, her question seemed to only catch him off-guard.

Rarity found herself suddenly troubled by her friend’s demeanor, her edged gaze softening with concern.

Anon blinked for a moment before answering, “Ah, ‘hats roight, mum. Pardon me, it's my first day on the job. A bit scatterbrained, as it were it seems.” Anon paused to grip the tip of his hat and chuckle to himself. “It would seem yer my last stop fer the day, mum. Just ‘ere to verify yer business loicense, is all, mum.”

As he spoke, he looked to Rarity with a bright, warm smile. His eyes seemed to be a little strained, but other than that, Rarity could find no foul play in them. Anon wasn’t the pranking sort, anyway, so she let herself relax a little.

For some reason, Rarity felt her concern ebb a little as she focused on Anon’s words. Or rather, how his words were spoken. Anon’s voice was never this professional or intriguing. In fact, the man’s speech often was a little vulgar and eccentric to Rarity. This was doubly so now that she could compare it to the sounds that flowed from Anon’s mouth now. To top it off, he did look rather nice in such a spiffy uniform. The more Rarity thought about it, she rather liked whatever change Anon had decided to make.

She would have to ask Dash why in the world Ponyville’s department had such a strange outfit later. She would also have to ask since when did Ponyville’s department start verifying licenses so close to the last verification.

For now, Rarity simply smiled back at Anon. “Of course, Anon. That’s no trouble at all. Please, have a seat while I fetch it for you, darling.”

Anon nodded gratefully as he sat down next to one of the many mannequins that filled the main shop floor.

Rarity was oddly filled with energy. Anon positively radiated, well, positivity. It certainly seemed he was adjusting rather well to his life here, and Rarity couldn’t help but smile to herself at the thought as she ascended the steps to retrieve her certificate. Her dear friend had such a rough time at the start, and it broke her and her other friends’ hearts to see such a kind creature go through so much heartache.

Pushing those thoughts from her mind, Rarity went to the wall that held her framed certificate. “Certificate of Ownership” was embedded atop the document, golden trim lining each letter. Signatures of the then Princess Celestia and Mayor Mayor gracefully written in the lower corner.

Grasping the document, frame and all, in her magic, Rarity made her way back downstairs to Anon.

Upon reaching the doorway to the stairs and shutting the door, Rarity met Anon’s gaze. “Well, here we are, darling. Sorry for the wait,” Rarity said as she began moving the frame towards Anon. As he went to grab it, Rarity cut her magic off, letting the frame fall into his grasp.

Anon briefly studied the document before letting out a content sigh, seemingly relieved. “Ah, ‘his looks properly well, mum. Everythin’ seems ta be in orda ‘ere.” He looked up from the document to meet Rarity’s eyes. “‘his looks a might fancier ‘han most other ponies’ loicenses, mum,” he said teasingly.

“Oh, well, I just spruced it up a bit is all,” Rarity said, feeling her cheeks burn slightly. “I hope that isn’t an issue?”

“Oh, not at all, not all, mum. The most important parts are still legible, an’ it don’t seem ta be fabricated. Just a bit of jestin’ on my part is all, mum,” Anon said, offering the frame to Rarity. “Well, ‘hats all I ‘ad fer ya. I best be on my way now.”

Rarity smiled, and was about to walk him to the door before she hesitated.

As Anon rose, that confusion and fear seemed to take hold in his eyes again before once more being dispelled by something. Rarity found herself unnerved once more.

Her sudden stop in their walk to the door gave Anon pause. “Mum, everything’ alroight? Ya seem troubled,” he said with a tad more concern than the first time.

Rarity looked to him, her concern once more ebbing as an idea came to her.

“Oh, yes, Anon. I am quite alright, but. . .” she hesitated a moment, mulling over how to say her next words before blurting out, “Are you off now, Anon?”

Her question caught both of them by surprise. Anon’s eyebrows rose, Rarity’s cheeks burned more.

An awkward moment passed between them before Anon spoke, “I believe so, mum,” he began, a wariness in his voice, “Why do ya ask?”

“Well,” Rarity began, composing herself as she walked up to Anon, “I was thinking.” She turned to place the framed document on a nearby table. “I have had a dreadfully long day, and it seems you have been under some similar circumstances yourself.” Rarity paused to look up to Anon, who still held his wary expression, but it seemed to be softening a tad.

“As such,” Rarity continued with a little more confidence, “I would find it terribly impolite of me to not offer you some sort of respite in the form of some tea with a friend,” she finished with an ever-growing smile.

Anon stared at her for a moment, his concern—which Rarity thought was borderline suspicion—not wavering. A moment passed, and Rarity began to worry her invitation was a little too much, though she certainly couldn’t see why it would be. Tea with a friend is a go-to for remedying a long day.

Before she could bring herself to take back the invitation, Anon’s eyes softened and his smile returned in full.

“If I may be honest, mum?” Rarity waited for him to continue before realizing he was literally asking for permission and nodding her head. “I think that sounds like the perfect way to end my day, mum.”

Rarity practically beamed in response. It had been so long since her last chat with Anon over some tea, and it looked as though both of them needed such a chat.

With her other duties left forgotten, Rarity guided Anon to the kitchen to prepare the tea, content and excitement plain on their faces.

Today was a nice day for Rarity.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the wait, and sorry if this doesn't seem as focused on the comedy. I promise future chapters will come quicker and be a bit more comedic.