• Published 3rd Nov 2020
  • 1,001 Views, 49 Comments

Beyond the Vail - Kalushar



Jacob finds that after his great-aunt leaves him her house and relic collection she left him a particular set of items that hold a power... and perhaps a consciousness...

  • ...
5
 49
 1,001

Some stones are better left unturned

Dirt burrowed under my fingernails as I dug deeper into the ground, the cold that the crystal had given me was like a buzzing, like an itch. Behind my eyes scratching with its frozen nails, trying to escape and I wanted so bad to scratch that itch. It got louder and colder, the crystal was beginning to freeze the ground around it before suddenly there was silence and the frost on the ground stopped spreading. I pushed my hands again into the dirt and felt something solid and after a quick knock, metallic and hollow. I uncovered the small metal box and pulled it up and out of the hole.

It was a metal lockbox with a half rotted wooden handle on top. Oxidation had long ago rusted spots onto it, the hinges were nearly covered in it. The only part of the box that didn’t seem to be rusted was the simple key lock on the front. Further examination and a few attempts with rock revealed that I wasn’t getting the box open without some tools or the key. On a hunch I pulled out my key ring and went through them one by one. None of them fit, but I also noticed a small flathead screwdriver attached to the ring as well. I pushed it into the lock and despite my newfound fifteen minutes of lockpicking skill I failed to open it. So rather than try to open the box via the lock I instead focused my efforts at prying off the hinges. One of them came off easily, but the other was more rigidly attached and didn’t seem to want to come off.

I used all the leverage I had to pry off the hinge and eventually I was able to rip the screws out and pull off the hinge. The box still wouldn’t open quite right since it was still locked, but I put my hands on both halves and pulled with all my strength to open it. The lock whined and the old metal groaned before eventually bending enough for me to reach into the box with a hand and close my fingers around something. I pulled out a bundle of cloth wrapping something hard and tied shut with twine. A note was folded and tucked into the string, I pulled it out and read it.

“The time has come, there is too much danger. They were banished here for good reason and it is not our place to free them. The Lunar Crystal will remain in my possession, but I’m burying these so that even if mine were to be stolen then they will never truly have them all, there will still be hope. If you are reading this then I beg you. Take this box and toss it and its contents into the ocean, it must never become exposed to the light of day.”

My head was a ringing mess of indecision. Should I open it or toss it in a lake like an Arthurian legend. No, I conceded that I couldn’t just throw it away. The crystal had drawn me to it, surely not so I could just dispose of it. But from what I had read the note had to have been written by my Margaret. Why did my great-aunt have it and why had she tried to hide whatever this was? I reread the note and had second thoughts about just opening it after I read “it must never become exposed to the light of day” again. The other note had said something similar before I met her royal nuttiness, my roommate.

The day was bright, it was possible that this was another crystal, but the process could work in reverse. This thing might activate if exposed to sunlight, so I stood and picking up the “Lunar Crystal” after realizing it was no longer cold and put everything back in the box before heading for home. The leaves crunched heavily under me as it seemed that the entire forest was dead silent.

I shut the door behind me quietly and dumped the box out on the table, the Lunar Crystal and the small bundle made dull thuds as they landed, only furthering my suspicion that it was a crystal inside. I made sure that the blinds were shut before stepping into the pantry and shutting the door, there was absolutely no light besides the bulb which dimly lit up the small area when I flicked the light switch. It only made sense that sunlight would cause the crystal to react so I figured that a light bulb would be safe as I gingerly unwrapped the bundle. The rough twine fell from my fingers as I untied it and pulled away the cloth, revealing a piece of paper wrapped around a beautiful golden crystal that shimmered as I held it up to the light.

The paper only had one word written on it, “fountain.” There was a fountain in the garden, was it possible that another one of the crystals was kept there? It was like a scavenger hunt from beyond the grave. The implications of there being more crystals was suddenly invading my thoughts. I could keep one giant magical pony secret, but I couldn’t do that for twenty or however many of these crystals there were.

What was I going to do? I couldn’t tell her highness, not yet. Besides, what if the pony inside this crystal was dangerous? I had never considered before as to why they were locked away, there had to have been a good reason, I had asked her, but she said some weird stuff about jealousy and being imprisoned by elements. I had no idea what she was talking about, but she had never really and truly seemed dangerous to me, she was just full of empty threats.

The day came and went slowly after I hid the crystal from Nightmare Moon, it was mostly me going back and forth for her highness’ every whim. The next day came and went about the same until the evening when I had to get ready for my dinner with Mary, even if she seemed like a nut I wasn’t one to just stand someone up for no reason. I put on one of my nicer shirts and headed out, Nightmare Moon was still buried in her work when I left. I drove my car into town and headed to the place she had said to meet her, walking in I noticed her sitting at a table in a black dress before she saw me and motioned for me with a smile.

I sat and picked up the menu as she greeted me, “Mr. Vail, it’s great you were able to make it. Have you considered the society’s offer?”

“Actually, I was hoping to get a bit more information on your organization before I start dealing in absolutes.”

“Of course, the society works for the preservation of historical artifacts across the east coast and abroad. My apologies, our official name is the Official Historical Society of America, the organization was started about sixty years ago by a distant relative of mine actually, so I guess you could call it a family business.”

“How big is the society?”

“Very large, we have locations we preserve all around the world, from the States to Germany to South Africa to the Philippines. It’s why we were able to offer such a… large amount for the house.”

“Yes, the house. I don’t think I’m going to sell.”

“Mr. Vail, I urge you to reconsider. The society has given me the authority to negotiate, I can go up by ten percent if it would change your mind, or if you have a counter offer than I would be more than happy to pass it along the line.”

“No, I’ve made my decision. I’m not going to sell.”

“Mr. Vail. If the house is so important to you sentimentally then I’m sure I could get the society to renegotiate for just the collection instead of the entire property.”

Our food arrived as I finally gave my absolute, “no, I’m not selling any part of the property or the collection. I’ve come to realize the full value of what my great-aunt left me, it’s an amazing collection and I wouldn’t trade it for double the price on those papers.”

I began to eat as I watched her eyes suddenly harden, “Mr. Vail please… reconsider, you are being emotional. I could possibly get the society to the purchase of some of the collection instead of all of it.”

I raised my burger to my mouth and took a bite, “those things meant nothing to me in life, but in her death, they have suddenly taken in her vitality and memory. That is sentimentality. I will not sell.”

“Mr. Vail… I have hope you may yet reconsider, but I understand. When my grandmother passed away a few years ago it was hard to empty out her house, there were so many pleasant memories.”

“I’m sorry for your loss, but I’m glad you understand, this is a personal decision, it has nothing to do with money.”

“I understand, again, if you reconsider do not fear calling me at any time, the offer will still stand at least for now.”

We both ate, the defeat was evident on her face as I finished my meal and left after putting down my half of the check, rude to not pay all of it I know, it was insult to injury, but she could afford it I’m sure. It wasn’t meant to be an insult and I wasn’t trying to be a jerk, but the society was just a nuisance trying to circle my great-aunts property like vultures over her still twitching body, I’d bet this woman knew about my great-aunts death before I did, she probably already had the contract drawn up before I even arrived.

Her fingers suddenly closed into fists as he stepped out the door, such infuriating ignorance. The fool! He had his every chance, but he had to be a pathetic wimp for that old history whore. Her rage subsided as she breathed deeply and unclenched her hands, blood seeped from where her nails had dug into her palms. She stood and whistled loudly, the music stopped and everyone in the restaurant turned to her.

“He will not sell. He’s made it evident that the old woman is some kind of saint to him, and he holds her collection in high regards. He could be turned with the right time and effort, but it would be so much easier to let a natural accident happen to him. I don’t care how you do it, when, or where as long as it can’t be tied back to us and the property becomes ours! So, for the love of God, get out there and find a plan to wipe that insignificant pawn off the chess board!”

The general cheers of approval met her ears as all the restaurant workers and “customers” shuffled out, the operation was done for tonight. She watched as all of her pawns, knights, rooks, and even her bishops walked out, but no king. She was the king and the queen, she was the center piece and the most maneuverable on the board, she was going to wipe out the other side and get exactly what she wanted, no matter the cost. The society would find the stones one way or another and when they did they would no longer have to worry about petty matters such as procedure or law, only the ones that they drew up for themselves.

It’s true as they say, she thought, the world is an oyster and she was going to rip it open and pull everything from inside, the world would cry out at first, but the power and things they could promise would quickly overwhelm anything else that they could try and do to stop them. She fingered the necklace she wore, an old one made of jade, it was only a stone, just like the ones she sought, but they would be her greatest achievement and Vail was not going to stand in her way.

Author's Note:

Yes! I know it’s been far too long! I’m sorry about that. Christmas in 2020 has been crazy, as was everything else, but happy 2021! This is my gift to you guys! A new chapter! Finally, you see another crystal and see some of the other side of the “society” who want the house, what do they really want though? Is there more than is alluded too? I would like to hear some comments or criticism you guys and gals have! I love to read them so write up some more cool comments! An incredibly special thanks to mein Deutsch friend! You know who you are!

And to all the rest of you who’ve liked, commented, shared, and added my story to your collections or groups a great big New Year’s hug! Until next time!