• Published 2nd Nov 2020
  • 1,990 Views, 29 Comments

A Different Dance Date - Rated Ponystar



Instead of Yona being asked to the Amity Ball, Sandbar askes Smolder instead much to the dragon's surprise

  • ...
0
 29
 1,990

Questions and Dances

“Sandbar asked you out?” Spike was just as shocked as I was when I finished telling him what happened. We were in his room at Twilight’s castle, where I burst in without warning, saying I needed his help. I don’t know why I picked him, but Spike was the only other dragon I could talk to. Even if he was raised by a pony and knew nothing about dragon culture, I’ve grown to see him as one of my closest friends. Kind of like a kid brother, you know?

“Yeah, and I told him I need to think about it, but I’m still trying to figure out why he even asked me out in the first place!” I shout before flopping onto Spike’s bed. I stare at the ceiling with so many thoughts in my head. I feel like I’m going to explode. “Why me? Why not Ocellus or Yona or even Silverstream?! Why me?!”

“What’s wrong about you?” Spike asks as he jumps onto the bed with me. “You’re pretty cool, and you’re one of his best friends.”

“Y-yeah, but...” I bit my lip. “I’m a dragon. He’s a pony.”

“So? Silverstream likes Gallus, and they’re both different creatures,” Spike pointed out.

“Yeah, but they’re more similar to each other due to being bird-like. Sure, Gallus is part lion, and Silverstream can turn into a fish, but they still have some kind of physical similarities,” I point out. “Have you ever heard of a pony and a dragon getting together?”

“No, but I kinda wish they did more often,” Spike muttered. I winced upon forgetting that he had that crush on Professor Rarity. I didn’t want to be the one that told him that it wasn’t going to work out. Not because he was a dragon, but because she was just too old for him. “Still, mixed species relationships aren’t as uncommon as you think. I’ve seen ponies dating griffins, donkeys, and some changelings now that we’re friends. Hay, Twilight’s cousin, from Van Hoover, dated a minotaur for a while until they broke up.”

“I guess, but what about dragons and ponies?” I ask.

“Never heard of it, but there are theories that the Kirin are descendants of ponies and dragons breeding together,” Spike points out before rubbing his chin. “Of course, those theories haven’t been proven.”

“Well, the problem isn’t the fact I’m a dragon! It’s the fact that he asked me out!”

“What’s so wrong about asking you out?” Spike asks, crossing his arms. “Why do you think it’s a problem.”

“Because...” I really don't want to say this, but I feel like I can trust Spike. “Because I’m not beautiful!”

He must not have been expecting that answer because his eyes were wide. I sighed a bit before continuing, “Look, I may like dressing up a bit and occasionally wear makeup, but even I know I’m not pretty by...any kind of standards! I’m short nosed, my scales never shine, my tail is not long enough, my horns look weird, and I’ve got a bad attitude! I’d be a terrible marefriend or dragonfriend or whatever it would be!”

“...Do you really think that, or do other dragons say that about you?” Spike asks, which makes me wince.

A few voices from some very nasty female dragons I never wanted to think about again echo in my head. I close my eyes and turn away. “...Both.”

A few seconds later, I feel Spike’s comforting claw by my side as I look down at him and his warm smile. “Look, I don’t know who told you such things in the dragon lands, but I think they’re blind and stupid.”

I snorted. “Can’t argue with that.”

“The point is that if Sandbar asked you out, there must be a reason for it,” Spike pointed out while grinning. “He must find something attractive about you to do so. I mean, isn’t there anything about Sandbar you find attractive?”

That I found attractive? About Sandbar? Well, I guess you could say he had a charming set of eyes. They were such a strange green color that I wish emeralds could be that green. Plus, there was his mane. Some ponies think he should comb it, but it looks a lot cooler the way he just let it stay wild and free-flowing. Says a lot about his personality. He’s so easy going that barely anything phases him unless it's super serious. You’d think that means he was lazy, but he’s really calm and collected. His plan of freeing us during Cozy Glow and Councilor Neighbutt’s take over of the school was pretty awesome. So he’s not dumb at all, and if anyone says that about him, I’ll pop their face in.

I really am glad he didn’t betray us that day. I was hurt thinking that Sandbar really left us after everything we’ve been through, but then he came through and helped us escape. It’s no wonder that the Tree of Harmony said he represented the Element of Loyalty the best. Sandbar was somepony you could trust and...well, I do trust him.

“You’re smiling,” Spike says with an amused tone. I freeze up before he continues. “And you had a certain sparkle in your eyes.”

I sigh and lower my head. “...I guess it wouldn’t hurt to try?”

“You’re the one who has to answer that,” Spike shrugged. “But what’s the harm in trying it out? At best, you start a close relationship with someone you care about. Worst? It’s just an awkward moment, and you two just stay as friends. It’s not as bad as you think.”

True. I doubt one wrong date would ruin things between Sandbar and me if we decide it doesn’t work out. Might even be something we laugh about years later. Still, if I’m going to say yes or no, I need to find out why he wants me to go with him to the dance.

I decided that there was only one way to do it as a dragon: confront him about it.

***

Dinner was BLT’s, with tofu bacon, and hay fries with fizzy drinks, but I was too focused to really eat anything. All I did was occasionally stare at Sandbar, who also glanced at me whenever he had a chance. The two of us were quiet the entire evening. Just nodding our heads and answering when our friends had something to say to us.

I want to ask him, but not in front of our friends. That’s too embarrassing. I mean, they’ll find out eventually, but I don’t want to make a scene of it. Sure, a real dragon would be saying just get it over with! Who cares what others think and ask him right now! But there aren’t any other dragons here, so I can bend the rules a bit.

I saw my chance when Sandbar said, “I have to go to the bathroom. I’ll be right back.”

“Oh, I have to go too!” I said as well, much to his surprise.

“Heh, are you going to the bathroom together?” Gallus joked, which got him a slap on the back of the head by Ocellus. “Hey! It was a joke!”

We ignore him and walk out of the cafeteria together. Sandbar seems to have gotten the hint that I wanted to talk to him as he kept following me until I saw an empty classroom. I grab his foreleg and drag him inside before shutting the door behind me.

“Uh, Smolder?” Sandbar looked at me with those green eyes of his, and I can’t help but find they do look kinda cute. No, Smolder! Focus!

“I...I wanted to give you my answer, but I want one question answered before I do,” I say, which gets his attention. I take a deep breath. “Why? Why me? Of all of the creatures in this school...why ask me out?”

Sandbar was quiet for a few seconds. During which, I braced myself for whatever answer he’s going to give. I still want to know the truth, and I trust him to be honest with me.

“Because I like you,” Sandbar said with a smile.

“Y-you like me?” I whisper in disbelief. “Seriously? That’s it?”

“Y-yeah,” Sandbar walks closer to me, and I find myself just staring at him as he continues to smile. “You’re one of the most honest creatures I know. You’re not afraid to tell others what you’re feeling, and you act out what you think is right. Sure, it's a bit of blunt honesty, but I think that proves that you’re not afraid to tell others how you feel. Especially if something is wrong or needs a good dose of truth.” He rubs the back of his head. “I also think you’re really nice.”

“Nice?” I ask to make sure I heard this. “You’re nice. Silversteam is nice. Ocellus is nice. Yona is super nice. Even Gallus can be nice at times. I’m not exactly nice with my behavior.”

“Oh, really?” Sandbar smirks while pointing at my chest. “I seem to recall a nice dragon helping Ocellus during our little tests by the Tree of Harmony. Or helping a little dragon who was heartbroken that some other dragon pretended to be his father. Or helping to save a nation that isn’t of her own but one she’s grown to care about.”

“If your goal is to make me blush with flattery, you’re doing a good job of it,” I say while hiding my redding cheeks.

“My point is that you’ve got a lot of aspects about you that I like, Smolder.” He then took my claw into his hoof and held it. Now I was really blushing up a storm. “I don’t care that you’re a dragon if that’s what you’re worried about. I like you for who you are: an honest, kind, and caring dragon who would do anything for her friends. Plus, I think you got a cute nose.”

“...Yes.”

“Yes, you have a cute nose?” Sandbar asks, tilting his head.

I laughed. “No, silly. I mean, yes, I’ll go to the dance with you.”

“R-really! You mean it!” He asked, smiling brightly.

“Yes, I’ll go out with you. I don’t know how this is going to go, but I’ll give it a shot,” I answer. A part of me still thinks this is weird, but this is Equestria. Like I said earlier: ponies are weird. I guess weirdness just spreads.

To my amusement, Sandbar kicks his rear legs in the air and makes a ‘whinny” sound before realizing what he did and blushes in embarrassment. I can’t help but laugh at his adorable actions. “W-well, I’m going to go get the tickets! Right after I use the bathroom! I promise you’ll love it, Smolder!” I watch him rush out of the room before I hear a “Woohoo!” as he gallops away.

I look at the claw that he held earlier and think about all the things he said about me: honest, kind, and brave. Darn it, he’s such a smooth talker. I can’t believe I’m going to dance with Sandbar.

Wait a minute.

I don’t know how to dance!

***

Contrary to what some believe, we dragons do date like all other creatures. It involved a lot of wooing, impressing your future mate, and giving them lots of gifts to show you cared about. It was one of the few times a dragon could be less ‘tough’ and more ‘sensitive.’ That being said, dancing was not something dragons often did. At least not the kind of fancy dancing that ponies did. Dragon dancing was more about flying around in the air in a formation similar to the Wonderbolts only with a lot more dangerous stunts and flames.

As such, I’m completely stuck on what to do for a pony dance, and I doubt the faculty would like the school burning to a crisp if I tried doing dragon style dancing. That left me pretty much a whole day to get a quick lesson on how to dance like a pony. Or at least enough to make sure I don’t break Sandbar’s hooves.

When I returned to Spike and told him of my predicament, he quickly recommended the one pony who could help me out in a flash: Professor Rarity. I’ll admit, she’s not my favorite of all the teachers I have. She’s so...fru-fru. Like seriously, I’ve never seen any creature care so much about their looks to the point that a little mud makes them faint. Again, why does Spike have a crush on her?

Still, she wasn’t the Teacher of Generosity for nothing and accepted my request without a single hesitation. At the gym, I find myself where, much to my surprise, Professor Rainbow Dash, Professor Fluttershy, and her pet bunny were waiting for us with a record player. “Um, what are you two doing here?” I ask.

“Rarity told us that you needed help learning some pony dancing, so we’re here to help out,” Rainbow Dash answered with her hooves to her hips.

“Really? Professor Fluttershy, I can understand, but you?” I pointed out.

“Sure, I’m awesome at pretty much everything,” Professor Rainbow Dash proclaimed before pausing and shrugged. “Well, except for baking. There’s a reason I’m banned from using stoves at Sugarcube Corner.”

Professor Fluttershy walked over and smiled at me. “I think it’s wonderful that you want to learn how to dance, Smolder. Why my mother used to teach me when I was a little filly.”

“Really? My mother was teaching me the quickest way to kill your prey was to go for the neck and drag their heads across some pointy rocks,” I say, which makes everyone else turn green save for Professor Fluttershy, who was backing away in a nervous twitch. “Um, but yeah, let’s get started!”

“Uh, right,” Rarity says, clearing her throat. “There are two main traditional dances that everypony does at the dance. Both aren’t so hard once you get used to it. By the time the dance comes around, you’ll have them mastered in no time. First, the slow dance is known as the Pony Cotillion!”

“Fluttershy’s an expert at that dance,” Rainbow Dash pointed out, making the other pegasus blush.

“Oh, I wouldn’t say I’m a specialist,” Fluttershy answered, covering a part of her red face with her mane. “I just think it's fun.”

I saw her pet bunny come in by with large rolled-up paper. He spread it out across the floor, and my eyes widened upon seeing just how long it was with all these various colored hoofprints in different directions. Professor Fluttershy stepped onto it and smiled. “All you have to do is follow these steps, and you’ll master it in no time.”

“Um, you do know I walk on two feet, right?” I pointed out while directly showing my feet.

“O-Oh, that’s...” Professor Fluttershy’s ears drooped. “I’m sorry. I didn’t think of that.”

“Can the dance work without four hooves or limbs?” I asked.

“Um, no, I don’t think so,” Professor Fluttershy whimpered while lowering her head.

“Well, that’s no biggie! My dance doesn’t require that kind of stuff,” Rainbow Dash proclaimed as she nodded to the rabbit.

It quickly changed the record, and suddenly a much faster song started playing with a hip beat to it. I found myself snapping my fingers to it and bobbing my head. It was actually pretty good. Professor Rainbow Dash grinned as she spun around before landing in front of me. “The Pony Prance is all about speed! You just let yourself go and rock to the beat!”

Professor Rainbow Dash started bouncing up and down while waving her limbs around. Occasionally, she gives a cool kick here or there, but her rhythm is focused entirely on the music. Okay, I think I can do this one! Yeah!

I start bobbing my head a bit before shaking side to side. My arms flowing with me as I step to the left, then to the right, do a spin, and a quick tail twirl. Rainbow Dash cheers me to go on more as I dance closer to her, followed by slapping wings and bumping flanks. I let out a fun laugh and go faster, my scales sweating as I move more and more to the beat. “I’m doing it, right?!”

“Yes, you are darling! Yes, you are!” Rarity shouted.

“Keep going, Smolder!” Spike cheers.

I keep dancing and dancing, but eventually, I feel like I’m about to pass out. Thankfully, the record player ends, and I take a deep breath before sitting down on the floor. I’m gasping for breath, but I feel a warm feeling in my chest. I may not be able to do that slow dance, but at least I can do the fast one.

“I think she’s a natural!” Professor Rainbow Dash compliments before landing next to me. “Just a few hours of practice, and I’m sure you and Sandbar will do well.”

“Thanks,” I say before getting up with Professor Dash’s help. “Still, I feel like I need to learn at least one slow dance.”

“Maybe I can help with that,” Spike said as he walks over with a smile. “When Twilight and I went over to the other world to get the Element of Magic back, there was a whole world of two legged creatures called humans. There was a dance there as well, and I saw how they did a slow dance. I practiced some of that in case I ever...uh...” He glances at Professor Rarity, who tilts her head before he turns back to me. “Anyway, the point is that I can teach you one.”

“I guess it’s better than nothing,” I say before standing in front of Spike. He takes one of my claws and holds it up with me before taking my other arm and putting it around his back. He tells me to keep it there as he puts his claw near my-wait a minute!

“Hey! Watch the claw! Personal space!” I shout, blushing upon feeling it near my rump cheek.

“S-sorry!” Spike apologies. “I was aiming for your back, but I guess our height is too much. I’ll just go to your side.” He does so, but I’m keeping my eye on him. “Now, just follow my lead.”

I huff but calm down as the music plays. Before I know it, Spike is guiding us around the gym as the music plays. Our eyes focused on each other as he twirls us in a slow circle while never letting go. It is indeed a slow dance, but it's one that I feel a bit relaxed under. That was until I felt my leg bump into Spike’s, and we tipped over. Letting out a yelp, I collapse on top of him and groan upon feeling his head pound into my stomach.

“Umm, well, it was doing pretty well there,” Professor Rarity pointed out.

“Yeah, but I think our height is too different,” Spike says as we both get up and rub ourselves. “Why don’t you girls try? This time Smolder leads.”

“I’ll do it,” Professor Fluttershy says with a step forward. “It looks enjoyable.”

We get into position again. This time, Professor Fluttershy’s much easier to hold on to, and her hoof is around my back just above my tail where it should be. I make a note to make sure Sandbar knows this. This is just our first date, and I’m not ready to let hormones take over just yet. The music starts again, and I led the dance by doing my best to follow the same movements as Spike did. It feels the same, but a lot harder since I’m the one directing, and neither of us has done this before. I think my wings might also be flaring out by instinct, but I’m too focused on keeping us moving to be sure. A few more twirls, and we finish when the music stops.

“Well, that was somewhat easier,” I admit backing away.

“I think it’s pretty exciting,” Professor Fluttershy says.

“I think it feels romantic,” Professor Rarity sighs.

“I think it looks boring,” Professor Rainbow Dash mutters. “Anyway, I think Spike’s dance from that other world works best. So we’ll practice both of these for the next few hours. Sound good?”

I nod with a determined grin. I was going to nail these dances down even if I feel sore in the morning!

***

Okay, forget the morning. I feel sore right now. Seven hours of dancing and I’ve not felt this much ache all over my body since the time my brother and I decided to try rock surfing on Death Trap Mountain. Still, I feel more comfortable dancing tomorrow than I did just a few hours ago. The Pony Prance I think I’m going to nail, and Spike’s slow dance might be a bit awkward, but if there is a slow dance Sandbar wants to do? I’m ready for it. Much better than trying that one with the numerous dance moves.

Of course, in being so occupied with the dancing, I almost forgot about the dress until Professor Rarity asked me what I was going to wear. I had nearly freaked out until she told me she would have a dress for me tomorrow morning. I’m glad she has all our measurements from the various classes we’ve done together, but I just hope it's something really cool. I mean, I’m alright wearing a fancy and cute dress sometimes, but not in public if I can help it.

Well, that’s tomorrow’s problem. Right now, I just want to get to my room, take a bath, and get something to eat for dinner. I’m nearly there when I pause before I turn around the corner. I see a confused Gallus and a very nervous Silverstream all alone outside our dorm rooms. I hide behind the wall and look with wide eyes. Wait a minute. Is Silverstream finally going to do it?!

“So, what did you want to talk about?” Gallus asks with his eyebrow raised.

“Um, Gallus? D-do you...have a partner to the dance?” Silverstream asks with a nervous smile.

“No, why?” Gallus answers, which makes me silently roll my eyes. Seriously, anyone could see what was happening in front of you, dude.

Silverstream puffs out her chest before getting on one knee and shoving out a black box in Gallus’ face, much to both our shocks. Holy Bahumat, Silverstream! You don’t need to ask this now! Wait a few years!

The box opens, but I don’t see a ring. It’s just a ticket to the dance. Oh, thank the gods. For a second there, I was worried I would have to stop my friends from going to Las Pegasus. I would not want to see Queen Novo’s face when she learns her niece was getting married, underaged no less, to someone she never met. I’d be asking Rarity to make a dress for a funeral instead of a dance.

“Will you go to the dance with me!” Silverstream asks in a rush.

Gallus stares at the ticket, then at Silverstream, and finally the ticket again. He picks it up and looks at it very carefully before gulping. “Y-you really want to go out with me.”

“Y-yes,” Silverstream answers as he gets up, holding her claws to her chest. “I-I’ve always liked you, Gallus. Ever since you told me to be brave and stand up to my fears. I’ve...I’ve treasured you as one of my closest friends and I...” She looked at him with a warm smile. “I’d like to try and make it something more.”

For a moment, I couldn’t see what Gallus was expressing before he let out a small chuckle. “Well, I guess I better rent a suit, huh?”

Silverstream gasped. “You mean...”

“Yeah, I’ll go with you to the dance, Silver-UGH!” Gallus barely has time to answer before Silverstream has him in one of her bone-crushing hugs.

“Oh, thankyouthankyouthankyou! Eeeee! I can’t wait for tomorrow to come! We’re going to have so much fun!” Silverstream shouts as she carries a stunned Gallus in the air. I quickly buried my mouth into my claw to cover my laughter. After a few more air twirls, she lets go of her date before gasping again. “Oh my gosh! I need to get ready! I’ll pick you up! No, wait. Come pick me up! Or um...”

“How about,” Gallus groaned as he got up, “we meet here twenty minutes before the dance?”

“Perfect! See you then!” Silverstream shouts as she cheerfully flies off while doing a loop-de-loop.

I chuckle as I walk out of my hiding place so Gallus can notice me. “Well, you seemed to have made her day.”

“Yeah, what can I say. I’m Mr. Happy Bird,” Gallus joked before raising an eyebrow. “Were you spying on us?”

“Not intentionally,” I confessed. “I was coming back to my room when I saw you two. Glad Silver finally confessed. All of us were starting to wonder if she was ever going to ask you out.”

“That long, huh?” Gallus looked towards the direction Silversteam had flown off towards. “You know, I kinda did feel something was going on between us. I just never pictured this would happen.”

“Well, now that you’re together,” I say before wrapping my arm around his neck, “let me just say one thing.” I glare at him so hard he starts to sweat. “You ever so much as even hurt her? I will destroy you to the point that you’ll be nothing but ashes. Then I’ll take those ashes and flush them down a toilet. Then, I think I’ll have a nice big bean burrito and sit on that toilet so that you can have some company to keep you in your nice little sewer graveyard. Got it?”

Gallus snorted and smiled back. “Sure, but I get to do the same to you if you hurt Sandbar.”

This caused me to lean back in surprise. “Wait, how did-”

“You girls have your sleepovers. We boys have ours,” Gallus answered as he took my arm off his neck and had his turn to glare at me. “I’m serious. Sandbar is my brother in all but blood. The guy lets me stay with his family over breaks, and they’ve treated me more like family than anyone else in my life. There are things we trust about each other only fellow boys can understand. You hurt him, and I don’t care if you’re a dragon.” He huffed and flared out his wings. “I’ll skin you alive and sell your scales for a nice tombstone to claw your name on before I piss on it.”

I could tell he meant it too, but I wasn’t going to back down without glaring back. The two of us continued to stare at each other harshly before we both laughed at the same time. “Oh geez,” I muttered with a chuckle. “Look at us. We’re top predators, and yet we’re caring about two creatures our kind used to hunt thousands of years ago.”

“Times are a-changing',” Gallus quoted before shaking his head. “But I don’t think I have to worry about anything. I trust you to keep Sandbar happy.”

“Same with you and Silverstream,” I answer back while holding my fist out. Gallus bumps me before the two of us start to head to our rooms. I pause before turning around. “Hey, you do know how to dance, right?”

“Yeah, I learned when I was six,” Gallus answered, much to my surprise. He saw my expression and nervously rubbed the back of his head. “The head of the orphanage was a former dancer. She gave out lessons to us when we were bored.”

Huh, you learn something new every day.

Author's Note:

Second chapter is here. Hope you enjoy.