• Published 1st Nov 2020
  • 384 Views, 10 Comments

Cat's Eye View - applezombi



Embark on an adventure through Ponyville with the noblest of all creatures

  • ...
0
 10
 384

The Damsel in the Fortress

The domain of the Purple-Maned Tyrant was quiescent when I arrived. That was suspicious. Usually the place had at least a few ponies there.

I glanced up to the second floor of the carousel. There was little hope of spotting my goddess, but it didn’t hurt to look. The curtains were drawn on the second floor, and the windows were closed. That was a shame; my beloved often enjoyed naps in the sunlight that shone through the windows.

It made sense; the Tyrant had begun keeping her windows closed and her curtains drawn ever since I met my beloved. She disapproved of me.

But I would not be deterred by silly things like the height of the second story, or closed windows. There were trees nearby, large enough to reach the second floor. I leapt and dug my claws into the wood, pulling myself up the trunk and out onto a long branch.

I leapt from the branch onto the narrow window sill, trying to peer through the narrow crack between the curtains. It was dark inside, just slightly too shadowy to see much inside. I could just make out the Tyrant’s four poster bed, where my goddess of beauty often took her naps. I couldn't see her, however.

I tapped at the window, but there was no response. I tapped again, meowing as loudly as I dared. I wished to gain the attention of my love, but not if the Tyrant was there. I knew a cat would probably hear, though a pony might not. I tapped again, daring a slightly louder call.

The curtain swiped aside dramatically, revealing the divine figure of the most beautiful cat that ever lived. Only something was wrong. She scowled at me fiercely, hissing loudly. I recoiled, and I had to clench into the window sill with my claws so I didn’t accidentally scramble off the building.

I was shocked. Hurt. What could I have possibly done to earn her ire? I wracked my brain, digging for any hint of offence I may have given her.

While I thought, she turned with her nose in the air, flicking her tail at me as she let the curtain fall back into place.

My heart was broken. My beloved, rejecting me? It had to be a mistake. A misunderstanding. My heart pounded as I slowly crawled my way down from my perch. It wasn’t possible. What had I done? Our last meeting had gone well. Perfectly, I had believed at the time. In fact, I was sure that she was just as satisfied with our last encounter as I was. What could have changed?

I was so lost in my own thoughts that I lost track of my surroundings. It was one of the worst mistakes an adventurer such as myself could make. Right after I landed, I realized that somepony was behind me.

“Oh, it’s you,” snarled the voice of the Tyrant. My tail frizzed out and my back arched. “You know you’re not allowed here, you mangy-furred stray! Opalescence is sick enough without you wandering about here, adding to her stress!”

I began to run, yowling my protest. It was the only possible response; I turned my head just enough to see the incoming broom, glowing in a blue aura. I leapt to the side just as it swatted down at me, striking the ground in a puff of dust. I kept running; she usually didn’t give up after one swipe.

The second swing was horizontal, low across the ground and aimed at my hindquarters. I leapt into the air and it just barely passed under me.

“And don’t let me see you skulking around here again!” she shouted after me. “I won’t go so easy on you next time!”

Well, the point was to not let her see me at all, so I was fine with that. Besides, nothing that was worth it came without adversity.

But the information she’d shared! My beloved was ill! It was horrible news, but there was a silver lining. If she was sick, that meant she didn’t hate me! She simply didn’t wish to see me right now.

The good news part could wait, though. I had a quest! I ran off as quickly as I could towards Yellow Pony’s cottage.

As I dashed down the path, my heart pounded. What if there was something particularly wrong with my princess? What if there was nothing I could do to help? I grew more and more nervous as I approached the cottage.

When I reached the small building, my heart sank. I’d forgotten what day it was. That silly pony holiday was tomorrow. Yellow Pony was already in hiding, as evidenced by the guards outside her front door.

One was the rabbit. I did my best to keep my distance from the rabbit. An extended interaction between myself and the rabbit would probably end in violence, and I had no desire to see Yellow Pony upset. The other was a frog. Both wore silly pony accessories, those shaded lenses that were supposed to make them look more intimidating. On the rabbit it looked rather silly. On the frog it was perhaps a bit cute. Their eyes followed me, stone faced, as I approached the cottage door.

They moved to block me, but I was determined. I didn’t want to hurt the frog, but there was a petty part of me that wouldn’t mind taking a swipe at the rabbit. I strolled up and growled, face to face with the rabbit.

He stomped his foot angrily.

I meowed loudly and leaned back on my haunches, raising a paw in the air threateningly.

He folded his forepaws and set his jaw.

I yowled, hissing just slightly as I leaned forward. He didn’t flinch. I flexed my claws out and growled.

The door swung open.

“What is going on out here?!” Yellow Pony shouted. We all flinched. The frog croaked shamefully, and both me and the rabbit shrunk down. “Angel! You know animals are allowed in! Look at Sable! He’s clearly distressed!”

The rabbit was the only creature alive that could take a scolding from Yellow Pony and not appear ashamed. He scowled and stamped his paw.

“Now, if you can’t behave yourself, Angel, I’ll take you off guard duty and assign you to litter box detail.” The rabbit squeaked in fright, and jerked away. “You should follow the example of Mister Swampford, here. He’s a very well behaved and effective guard.” The frog beamed and stood a little taller, and Yellow Pony patted his head with a wing tip.

“Sable, come inside and tell me what has you so upset.” It still wasn’t my full name, but much closer than Midnight or Mister Cat. I resisted the urge to shoot a smug look at the rabbit as I passed, though I did give Mister Swampford a grateful nod. After all, it was admirable to fulfil one’s duties.

Inside, it appeared as if the Yellow Pony was preparing for the holiday. There was a blanket fort set up in the middle of the room, surrounded by dozens of light sources. I’d heard the last few years Yellow Pony had spent Nightmare Night under her bed. A brightly lit blanket fort in the living room was a step up.

“Now Sable, if you’ve come all the way here to complain about your new diet, I’m going to be very upset with you,” Yellow Pony began sternly, and I shrunk a bit under that intense gaze. I meowed, kneading nervously with my forepaws. I’d practically forgotten about that in my worry.

“Oh my. Somepony is sick?” she asked, sitting down on her fainting couch. I sprang up next to her, and she wrapped a comforting hoof around me and began to rub it down my back. I leaned into the pets, but meowed again, a bit more urgently. “Some cat? Oh no! Opalescence?” She clicked her tongue disapprovingly. “Oh, Sable, you know you’re not supposed to go around the carousel. You know Rarity...”

She jumped as a startlingly loud pounding came from the door, her eyes widening as she let out a small squeak.

“Fluttershy, darling, are you in? Please!” It was the Tyrant. She sounded rather distressed. For a moment I took pleasure at my archenemy’s discomfit, but then I realized she must be here for the same reason I was. “I need you to—“ she grunted. “—ouch, get off me, you stupid rodent! I need you to call off your guardians, dear. This is urgent.”

Perhaps the rabbit wasn’t so bad after all.

“It sounds important,” Yellow Pony whispered to me. “You’d best get out of sight. You know how she’ll get if she sees you. She thinks you’ve been harassing Opalescence.”

I glared at her. Harassing! As if! The very idea that I would knowingly do anything to harm my dearest one was vile!

Yellow Pony giggled. “Yes, I know how you feel about Rarity. Here.” She opened a window, just enough for me to slip out without the Tyrant noticing. I leapt gracefully out the window and into the garden.

Once I was between the rows of autumn squash and corn, I shrank down, low to the dirt, and slunk around so I could hear the conversation.

“Fluttershy?” the Tyrant called frantically. “Fluttershy, please!” I peeked my head around the corner.

My beloved was curled up asleep on the Tyrant’s back. Her fur was messy, and even in her sleep she looked strangely exhausted. Yellow Pony opened the door slowly.

“Yes, Rarity?” she asked nervously. The Tyrant levitated my beloved off her back, in front of Yellow Pony.

“It’s Opalescence, Fluttershy. She’s ill, but I can’t quite tell what’s wrong with her. I was going to take her to Doctor Fauna, but the doctor’s out for lunch, and I’m getting worried.”

“Well, let me take a look at the poor dear,” Yellow Pony cooed, picking up my dearest and taking her inside. The Tyrant followed, a worried expression plastered over her white face. I snuck behind them, worried that the door would close and I would be cut off from my dearest. The frog guard eyed me briefly and nodded. He reached out one green leg to stop the door from closing entirely behind the ponies, leaving it open just enough so that I could overhear.

“Opalescence, could you please tell me what’s bothering you?” Yellow Pony’s voice was soft and gentle, the faintest caress of a warm summer breeze. She meowed softly. “I see. And when did it start?” She meowed again. Both cries were too soft for me to hear, or understand. “Oh, goodness. Um, Rarity, we’re going to want to speak with Doctor Fauna to be sure, but if I’m correct, Opalescence will be just fine.”

“Just fine? But Fluttershy, you can’t tell me more?” the Tyrant cried desperately.

“I’d rather be certain, first. Please don’t worry, Rarity.”

“How can I not? You won’t tell me…”

“We’ll head straight to Doctor Fauna’s. I’m sure she won’t mind if we’re waiting when she gets back from lunch.”

“Very well,” the Tyrant didn’t sound sure, but I heard the sound of hooves shifting about, and Mister Swampford frantically motioned for me to hide. I dashed around the corner just in time for the Tyrant and Yellow Pony to emerge from the cottage. Yellow Pony was cradling my beloved gently in her hooves as she hovered just slightly above the ground. Even in her diminished state, the queen of cats was sharply perceptive. She glanced back to where I was hidden, and our eyes met. She meowed gently, her eyes tender.

It was as if the sun had risen for a second time! My heart could burst for joy! My beloved was not angry at me after all. Her love for me was true! I stood up tall, making sure she could see my regal bearing, my proud and noble gaze, and take inspiration from my strength. I filled my gaze with as much adoration and worship as I could.

It was hard to communicate all of this with a mere glance and a posture, but I am a cat. The sorts of things that may be impossible for ponies are mere kitten’s play for me.

I waited until they were out of sight to follow them back into Ponyville. All about were preparations for the celebration tomorrow night. Ponies were cheerfully putting up decorations, setting up booths, and generally chattering happily about their plans for the holiday.

Ponies called out in greeting as I ran past. I was called Mister Cat, Black Handsome, Midnight, Coalkitty, Lucky, and a dozen other names. It was fine. Nopony really knew my full name, so I didn’t expect them to use it. As long as they recognized my greatness, they could call me what they liked.

I didn’t bother to stop to greet any of them. Sure, the ponies in town were always good for ear scratches, pets, the occasional tummy rub and treats, but I was on a mission. I had a mystery to solve, and a beloved I was worried about. I only paused when the colt from before stopped right in front of me.

“Oh! Mister Cat! Good to see you again!” I swerved around him, but he simply began trotting alongside. “I spoke with Applejack. If you’re still interested, she’d love to have your help with the Nightmare Night activities.” I didn’t glance at him, instead increasing my pace. “I can see you’re really busy right now, so I won’t keep you. But I hope to see you in the corn maze! I’m sure you’ll be a really spooky addition! Good luck with whatever you’re working on. I’m going to see if I can learn any more about the anti-timberwolf defenses for my story!”

I was too busy to respond, but I think the colt understood, because he broke off with one final wave, galloping presumably towards the Everfree forest. I continued on to the animal hospital.

Somepony had left the northern window cracked. I leaped up, barely reaching the edge by scrabbling with my rear paws. I peeked my head in to see what was going on.

“—didn’t mean for you to cut your lunch short, Doctor Fauna.” Yellow Pony sounded apologetic. I glanced down from my perch above the three ponies. Nopony noticed me.

“Don’t you worry, Fluttershy. I was done eating anyways. Now, what’s wrong with Opal?”

“I think she’s ill, Doctor,” the Tyrant sounded frightened, and my heart softened a bit towards her. If she was this concerned for my goddess, clearly she had some goodness in her. “She’s been—“ she flinched, and her voice broke with disgust, “—throwing up. And lethargic. And when she’s not vomiting, she’s eating twice as much.”

The vet and Yellow Pony exchanged significant glances.

“You can do the test, right doctor?” Yellow Pony asked urgently. The vet smiled and nodded.

“Of course I can. Set her up on the table here, Fluttershy, and we’ll take a look.”

“Test?” the Tyrant demanded. “What test? Fluttershy, you’re not saying anything! This is all that stray’s fault, isn’t it? He gave her some sort of disease!”

Calumny. Lies. I would never!

I must have made an angry noise, because three sets of pony eyes shot to me.

“See! The villain reveals himself! Don’t worry, Doctor, I’ll cast him out!” The Purple-Maned Tyrant advanced, her horn glowing threateningly.

“You will not!” the vet cried, jumping between me and the Tyrant. “Rarity, please! All creatures are welcome to be here!”

I hissed at the Tyrant, arching my spine.

“But Doctor!” the Tyrant whined. “Look at the state he’s put poor Opalescence in! He’s always skulking about, trying to sneak into my boutique to do her harm!”

That was absolutely untrue. I was simply trying to reach my beloved, to spend time with her and evade the ill will of the horrid creature that kept my love in a gilded cage. I yowled my displeasure.

“Both of you!” Yellow Pony shouted, and we both froze. “Calm down! Sable, you may stay if you can behave. Rarity, if you don’t stop threatening an animal while you’re still in the Doctor’s office, she’s probably going to throw you out.”

“Um, yes. Probably,” the vet said.

“Very well, Doctor, Fluttershy. I’ll behave if he remains far away.” She didn’t let her eyes stray from me. I made a show of nonchalance, licking at one paw. “Now, what is this test you have to do?”

“Actually, I’ve been working with Starlight to develop a series of tools to make my job easier,” the vet said. “She helped me invent this enchanted diagnosis tool.” She held up a small device that looked a bit like a pen, but with a wide, flat disk instead of a point on one end, and a clear glass bead on the other.

“Stay still, Opal. This won’t hurt a bit.” Yellow Pony cooed as she set the most beautiful of cats down on the exam table. My love glanced up at me, and I nearly wept to see how nervous she looked. I gave a soft meow, hoping to give some encouragement.

“These new tools really are a blessing,” the vet muttered as she ran the flat end of the device along my beloved’s belly.

“What’s happening? What is it doing? What are you looking for?” the Tyrant’s hooves beat a sharp staccato on the tile floor.

“We’re hoping for the glass bead to shine green. If it shines red, we’ll have to discover what else might be making her sick. But if it’s green…” the vet never finished her sentence, for the glass bead suddenly shone with a bright green light. “Aha.” The vet smirked. “That’s good news. Rarity, Opalescence is just fine. She’s going to be a Mommy.” Yellow Pony was smiling as well, stroking a hoof down my love’s back.

Meanwhile, my thoughts had come to a complete, frozen halt. Pregnant. My dearest was pregnant. Fatherhood. I was going to have kittens. My wide eyes found my love’s; she was tired, yes, but looked proud. As well she should! She was already the greatest of cats, and now she would be the greatest of mothers, as well! My heart soared with joy.

“Um, excuse me, darling, but did you just say what I think you did?” the Purple-Haired Tyrant’s voice was far too calm. It was like pouring ice water on the warm glow of my joy. “My Opal is pregnant?”

“Yes, Rarity! Isn’t it so exciting?” Yellow Pony gushed, but there was a hint of nervousness there.

“Mhm. Yes, quite.” The Tyrant blinked a few times. “Fluttershy, dear, you know the absolutely barbaric custom some other cultures have of skinning creatures and using their hides as fashion?”

Yellow Pony shuddered with horror. “Of course I do, Rarity! Why would you even…”

“It’s utterly horrid, of course. Absolutely an abomination. And yet, for some strange reason, I feel a touch of inspiration. Maybe it’s not such a wretched idea after all!” Her eyes blazed with fury. “I could see myself working with cat skin! Black fur, once properly washed, could make quite the daring belt, or a purse!” She lunged towards me, and the other two ponies surged forward, seizing her hooves to hold her back. I stared in horror.

“Let me go, you two! I’m going to skin him alive! I’m going to tie his tail to my clothesline and beat him daily! I’ll…”

“You’d better go,” Yellow Pony whispered in my direction, and I took the hint, leaping down from the window and onto the ground.