• Published 4th Oct 2020
  • 423 Views, 26 Comments

Dawn's Candor - Clarke Otterton



All is at peace in a booming Equestria until a coal steamer is captured by Zebra pirates. It's up to Lieutenant Dawn Glean and Equestria's fnest to rescue them and uncover the truth in a daring expedition to the Zebra Isles.

  • ...
2
 26
 423

Chapter 14

The morning was still young as Lieutenant Dawn and Major Noctilucent led their column up the heights. The infantry and dragoons trod the steep path towards the ruined castle that was the expedition’s camp. Out in the cove, the Phoenix sailed through clear water to her berth in the shallows beside the Berrichonhead. A cluster of ponies in shirt-sleeves worked along the beach, moving crates between the ship and waiting teams of pegasi that carried them up to the ruins.

More flights of pegasi took off and landed from inside the castle, their sleek blue flight suits dashing over the crumbling parapet as they flapped their wings to climb higher into the sky. The little blue smudges then banked to the northeast, eventually disappearing into hazy blue oblivion as they flew to continue the recon of the two fortresses.

“Major, lieutenant, welcome back,” Major Bolt hailed from the archway that led into the castle. Dawn, out of breath from the climb, offered a salute in lieu of words. Bolt returned the salute as he smiled then gave Noctilucent a hoof bump. “As you can see,” he said, gesturing to the mess of ivy and decaying stonework around him, “we have spared no expense and chosen only the finest billets for our time here.”

“I still can’t believe you convinced the Wonderbolts to stay in this dump. You know they don’t stay in anything with less than a three-hooves rating.” Noctilucent pinched her nose and lip up in mock disgust.

“They settled in nicely after the colonel had a little chat with them,” Bolt chuckled. “Besides, you guards aren’t much better. What does your regiment want on the menu tonight? I’ve already ordered the fine china up here.”

“Damn, Bolt, do you know how to run a mess.” Noctilucent laughed alongside the earth pony, but then stopped to tuck her lips firmly together. “But I’m afraid we’re not going to get a chance to get comfortable here.”

“The cornets from C Company told me something was up when they arrived not long ago. Let’s go see the colonel.” Bolt, ever the host, offered a gesture of welcome with his foreleg, then fell-in step beside the mares. “And you and I have a lot to talk about, Dawn.”

Dawn snorted as she followed Bolt. The major led the way inside the castle walls and up a much worn stairway to the parapet. Colonel Spitfire leaned against one of the few solid looking merlons, a pair of field glasses held in her wings as she surveyed the flights of Wonderbolts flying overhead.

“How did the patrol go this morning, Bolt?” Spitfire said dryly without removing the field glasses.

“Look for yourself, colonel,” Bolt replied.

The fiery pegasus scowled as she put her field glasses down, then smirked as she recognized the blue fur of Dawn. “Looks like we’re a whole expedition again. Did you have fun, lieutenant?”

Dawn, her perception numbing, opened her mouth to answer the rhetorical question, but Bolt saved her by speaking first.

“We’ll talk about that later. How is the search going?”

“Well, one flight has already reported back that the La Mare is anchored off the eastern most island, next to an abandoned fort. I have the rest of the squadrons running pattern of life patrols to confirm that’s where our hostages are. Should be ready to execute the rescue tomorrow morning.” Spitfire’s wings extended as she briefed, her excitement filtering through the animated features.

“Sorry to pop your balloon, colonel, but we need to be off this island by sunset, or else some zebras are going to be pretty angry,” Noctilucent said.

“So, you found more than our missing company on your patrol then?”

“More like the lieutenant found and I rescued her from…”

“What a foolish …”

“I think we better let the lieutenant deliver her report,” Bolt put a stop to the banter. “Dawn, if you please.”

“Yes, sir, thank you,” Dawn said, clearing the thoughts that had been building while she listened to the senior officers.

“The zebras in question are Imperial Legionnaires that jumped us in a forest just east of where the Phoenix ran aground. They took us along as prisoners to a logging town near the center of the island, where they believed a camp of pirates to be operating. But the place had been abandoned shortly before we arrived.

“I was able to get my company free of custody and check out that town, where I found two captured tele-fire machines that have been used to intercept our messages. We also discovered evidence that the pirates have been salvaging wood from the island to repair the forts. Shortly thereafter the zebras found us and pursued us until the dragoons were able to intervene.”

Dawn finished her report by retrieving the documents in her saddlebag to give to Colonel Spitfire. She also hoofed her casualty list to Major Bolt before a fresh bout of fatigue tugged at her eyes.

“Damn, that’s some fine soldiering, lieutenant,” Spitfire said as she spread the maps out on the stone. “Foolishly risky, but damn fine. You might just make a good Wonderbolt if you had wings.”

“Thank you, ma’am,” Dawn blushed at the praise, jerking her drooping head up to accept what was a rare thing for her lately.

“So, our hostages are probably in Fort Coroneghtbandt,” Bolt said as he peeked over Spitfire’s shoulder to look at the map.

“Should be an easy in and out,” Spitfire said, “nothing the Wonderbolts can’t handle.”

“Actually, there’s more.” Noctilucent’s tone caused Spitfire to glare once again. “Part of our agreement with the zebras was that we would take care of their pirate problem for them.”

“Find any other friendship problems we should solve while you were gone? Both of you.”

The ease with which Spitfire switched between genuine praise and biting criticism surprised Dawn enough to rein in the dullness spreading through her. She saw Bolt pass her a glance before he spoke.

“I suggest we start transferring the ponies back to the ships. We can create our plan while en route.”

“Fine. Major Bolt, start the transfer. Major Noctilucent, put out another squadron patrol to make sure those zebras don’t give us any more trouble. I’ll recall the wing.”

Spitfire and Noctilucent flew off the parapet to give orders to their commands, leaving the earth ponies alone to trudge down the stairs.

“You look like you can use some grapes, Dawn,” Bolt said, “and some rest.”

“What?” Dawn mumbled.

“Some grapes. You know, a bit of pep in your step.”

“Yes, sir.” Dawn breathed the response as she navigated a crumbled stair and stepped firmly into the courtyard. Ponies from C Company lay where they could, catching sleep for the first time since they set hoof on the island. In a corner the cornets had found a patch of moss to curl up on, the four of them dozing soundly as the earth pony officers walked past.

“I mean it, Dawn. Bless your heart, you look awful. Get some sleep.”

“No, sir,” Dawn affirmed. Her eyes drifted onto the cream body of Star, the unicorn’s chest rising and falling gently as she dreamed. Dawn shook her head and looked away, trying to find more energy to keep the world from darkening around her. “I’ll be fine. We have work to do, sir.”

Bolt sighed. “Very well. We’ll load your company onto the Phoenix last; let them sleep for now.”

Dawn eased herself onto her tiny stateroom’s cot, a guttural groan escaping as her haunches sank into the springs. She swung her hind legs over onto the covers with her and stretched her fore legs out. The release of tension along her back felt amazing. She pressed her head against the pillow, allowing her bow to come untied and her braids to fall out. Although covered in a rough fabric, the pillow was, by contrast to her dirt-matted fur, soft and warm against her ears and cheek. Dawn lay still, feeling the soothing numbness start first in her hoofs, then work through her limbs to calm her chest into long, deep breaths. She closed her eyes, cherishing the sweet release as the gentle hum of the frigate’s engines faded away until she was on the very edge of slumber.

But she could not go to sleep. Dawn opened her eyes. Her heart beat rapidly to push blood back to reanimate her limbs. Dawn sighed as she looked about her cabin, trying to find something, anything, to keep herself occupied.

A shaft of moonlight filtered into the stateroom from a small viewport, barely illuminating the sparse furnishings. Occasionally bright bursts of lightning would flash through the room, providing enough light for Dawn to make out the form of Captain Cherry Bounce laying on a cot across from her. The red unicorn was stable but had not regained consciousness since her accident. Dawn sighed again.

A thump followed by muffled shouts above Dawn’s head told her that a weather flight had just returned while another launched. The Wonderbolts’ weather squadron had been working hard to generate storms ever since the expedition left the main island. The hope was that the rough weather would keep the pirates stuck in harbor until the expedition’s flotilla was in position.

Dawn reviewed those details of the plan, as well as all the others that had been devised over the course of many hours, in an effort to ward off her drowsiness.

It had been decided that the Wonderbolts would infiltrate Fort Coronneghtbandt just after dawn and retrieve the hostages. But before then, at twilight, the ponies of the 2nd North Equus and 2nd Dragoon Guards, with support from the gun crews of the Phoenix and the wing artillery, would launch a diversionary assault on Fort Pasterndt. Their goal was to occupy the pirates until the Wonderbolts completed their mission. Then the guns would blast both forts to splinters before sailing back to Equestrian shores. It was a simple plan.

Dawn ran a hoof through her mane, further tangling the mess of loose braids. She unbuttoned her tunic and lay it beside as she sprawled on her cot. She stared at the ceiling, rehearsing her timetables for the assault as shadows flashed on the gray paint with increasing intensity. She calculated the figures, drawing from her memory of the distances drawn on the maps of the forts and her own recollection of the tables in the field service manual.

“How did you manage all of this, captain,” Dawn said, mostly to herself. She knew the answer, that her former captain had not. The red mare with her bouncy personality had not struck her as a by-the-book officer. Dawn assumed that Cherry Bounce had taken to her drinks as a means to manage the stress of leading a whole company. Yet, Dawn had never seen that stress crack into the mare’s spirit. Even in the room’s faint light, Dawn swore that Cherry Bounce was smiling as she slept across from her.

“I wish I knew where you got your grapes, ma’am,” Dawn spoke aloud now so the sound of her voice would keep her awake. “I feel that I’ve killed that spirit you brought so naturally into your company; there’s nothing left in everypony but to be tired.” Dawn yawned. When she closed her mouth, a tear freed itself from her eye to stroll down her cheek. “But that’s not the only thing in your company I’ve killed.”

Dawn let her tears flow to splatter on her chest as she continued. “You’re the one who belongs here, the one they should trust. This is your company, your army, your career; in a week, mine will cease to exist.”

Dawn’s sobbing was cut short by a knock on her door. She fumbled to put her tunic back on as she sniffed. “Hold on just a second.”

Cornet Star opened the door anyways, a tray of tea floating beside her as she walked in. She set the tray down on the ledge that served as the room’s desk and used her magic to ignite a lantern. The light illuminated her smile as it flickered to fill the room.

“Hey, Dawn. I thought you might like some tea, so I came by to bring you some,” Star said, “and to see if, maybe, you wanted to talk.”

“Thank you, Star, but I really…” Dawn stopped as Star placed a hoof on her chest, halting the progress of buttoning midway up her tunic.

Star’s eyes pleaded. “There’s no need to get dressed. I didn’t come to talk to Lieutenant Dawn. I came to talk to my friend.”

“Ok,” Dawn said, using every bit of courage to hold her voice together. She leaned from the cot to retrieve her mug of tea, plunging her muzzle into the steaming liquid to hide the wetness reforming in her eye.

“It’s just, you’ve seemed so distant lately. Even the other officers have noticed.”

“I have a company to lead, Star, it’s just part of it.” Dawn took another long sip of her tea, savoring the bitterness of the leaves.

“I know, and I understand how hard that is. But what happened to that officer I talked to on the train? What happened to that pony who was so determined, so full of undeluded hope? What happened to that pony who cared?” Star’s smile became even warmer, seeming to fill the room with more light than the lone lantern in the corner. “Because I care, Dawn. It hurts me to see you go down this path, to abandon who you were.”

“I-I don’t know.”

“Do you want to talk about it? We can help guide the way, you know.”

Star’s words pierced into Dawn’s heart to a depth she had never felt before. The path the young unicorn referred to flashed vividly before her, as if something from a dream. Dawn shivered. She tilted her mug to down the last of her tea as she thought about it. It was as if she was at the edge of a cliff, every fiber of her body tensed, ready to jump, ready for that one command to give in. All she needed was a simple push.

The frigate provided it first. The guns roared to life, rocking the ship as they flung shells toward the dark shape of Fort Pasterndt that loomed off the bow. Dawn felt the flood of details of the plan rush back to her already crowded mind. She started to button her tunic again but stopped just short of placing her hoof on the brass. She looked into Star’s eyes.

“Yes,” Dawn smiled as Star’s eyes lit up. “But first, we must work. Come along, Star.” Dawn finished buttoning her tunic. She fastened her saber belt and placed her helmet firmly over her ears. It was time to fight, for twilight was here.

Dawn reached a leg over the side of the boat, feeling the cool, salty water flow around her hoof. Beside her, other ponies were doing the same on the dozens of white hulls that seemed to glide over a black abyss. Little lines of color and khaki poked between oars that broke through the smooth water.

Overhead, shells from the Phoenix buffeted the air in high whistles, the glowing arcs of fuzes tracing through the twilight sky as they slammed into the walls of Fort Pasterndt. Flashes lit up the dark shape of the fort as the pirates began to wake up and fire back. Dull thuds of the guns mixed with gentle lapping of water against the boats, while treble pitches from clanking metal and rustling fabric sounded as ponies shifted. In the distance, deep rumbles of thunder drifted across the sea to add the bass to the polyphonic prelude.

“Never thought war could sound so peaceful,” Big Mac observed. “Honestly, ain’t too different from workin’ the orchard on a summer evenin’, especially with A.J.’s applebuckin’”

“That’s a lie you’re telling yourself, sarge,” Applesnack said. “Ain’t no way this shit can compare to that orchard of yours. Especially wit-.” A shell splashing next to the boat muffled the last part of Applesnack’s comment, although the sheepish giggle from Ditty told Dawn all she needed to know. She simply rolled her eyes.

Although Major Bolt’s order was to maintain silence until the battalion was in position along the beach, Dawn allowed the harmless banter to continue. The conversations were a way to ease nerves, something which her ponies had never had the luxury of contending with in the sudden ferocity of her previous engagements. Anticipation of a fight weighed just as much on a pony as the actual fighting, perhaps even more so.

A different feeling weighed on Dawn, though. She looked behind her to where 4th platoon’s boats drifted through the black water. The sea was still enough to reflect the ponies sitting there, each clutching their rifles in rippling images that sliced through the few fleeting stars gleaming on the surface.

Dawn swallowed down the anxiety that lumped in her throat. She should be nervous about the assault. But she wasn’t. There was another battle waiting for her, one where all the rifles and guns in Equestria had no power, but one where a pony could die all the same. And for that reason, she was afraid.

A flare shot up through the clouds, illuminating the sky and everything below it. Dawn’s fear would have to wait. From the flickering light she could see the outline of the beach rapidly approaching. To her right, the dragoons were already moving into position along a sandbar, flashes lighting up along their line as they opened fire towards where the pirates were believed to be. The dark shapes of the artillery flew overhead before the flare faded out, returning the battle to the gray darkness of twilight.

A sudden jolt announced that the boat had lodged into the sand of the beach. Dawn jumped out over the bow and started shouting orders. “Everypony, out! Fall into double column on me, let’s move!”

Big Mac echoed the order then took his place, as did Ditty, next to Dawn. The lieutenant tapped her hoof at the head of the forming column, waiting for the ponies to shuffle into their places before giving her next orders. “At the trot, forward, MARCH!”

Dawn led her company through the planned path, weaving through sand hills covered in tall patches of grass to their position on the left of the dragoons’ B Squadron. Behind her, A Squadron flew low, their legs rustling the grass as they moved to reposition on C Company’s flank.

“Company, HALT!” Dawn commanded. She took a quick survey of the small hill before her. “Belle, Polish, your platoons are on line first; volley fire only on my command. Sprint, extend your platoon on our right once the dragoons move out. Star, you’re in reserve until the rest of battalion joins us,” Dawn shouted over the musketry now sounding on both her flanks. “Platoon commanders, take control of your platoons!”

Dawn tried to look at her watch, but the hillside covered most of the light coming from the muzzle flashes. “Star, I think our ponies could use some light to shoot by. Let battalion know we’re in place.”

Star nodded before her horn sparked to conjure the flares. She shot a blue one up first, followed by a bright white flare that flickered against broken clouds.

Dawn scrambled up the loose sand of the hill and looked through her telescope towards the fort. Lights from small fires burning the walls reflected off a pair of open water tanks. A narrow path ran between them to where dark lines that cut through the soil showed where the pirates had dug in.

“400 lengths, make ready!” Dawn paused as the ponies adjusted their sights then brought their rifles up. “FIRE!”

Dawn commanded another two volleys, looking at her watch to count a full minute between each. The sound of bugles on her right drew her attention to where B Squadron was withdrawing from their hill. Sprint’s platoon extended to take their place. Behind the line of rifles more of the battalion jumped ashore, the white boats turning around to transfer the last load of ponies from the Berrichonhead. Beside that ship the guns of the Phoenix continued to pound away. The masts of both ships were now visible, the black lines cutting into a pink-tinged horizon. It would not be long before dawn, and with it the completion of the Wonderbolts’ rescue.

“How are we looking, lieutenant?” Major Bolt called from behind C Company’s position, his hoof raised to direct the remaining companies to their positions.

“Just fine, sir,” Dawn called back. “Belle, Polish take over for a moment. Five rounds, platoon volleys should keep them occupied.” Dawn, with Big Mac in tow, slid down the hill towards her commander as the cornets issued the orders.

“I’m going to have your company hold here until we withdrawal; just keep up enough suppressing fire to cover our feint on the left. Colonel Spitfire got the Wonderbolts off early, so we should only have another half hour of this at the most.” Bolt looked over his shoulder and smirked as percussive vibrations from the artillery, concealed behind a tree line, shook fine particles of sand into the air.

“Very good, sir.” Dawn smiled, thankful that for once everything was going according the plan.

“Keep up the good work, lieutenant. You handle that company so well, I might have to make the posting permanent. Isn’t that right, sergeant?”

“Ayep.”

Dawn’s ears pushed forward and her eyes lit up as she relished the major’s grapes and molasses. “Really, sir?” Dawn wanted to ask if he had heard anything about the revocation of her commission, but then she remembered that their communications were still compromised.

“Yeah, really,” Bolt continued to hold his smirk as he gave Dawn a tap on her withers. “But right now, we’ve got some pirate booty to kick. Keep an eye out for that green flare in the east; we may be out of here before the sun even touches our backs.” Bolt trotted off to follow the column of khaki, then halted for a step to yell back to Dawn. “Oh, and send your musicians down. We could use a good march to rouse spirits.” He resumed his trot while shouting, “alright, ponies, let’s do some shootin’!”

A surge of foalish gaiety sweep through Dawn as she climbed back to the crest of the hill. She accepted the feeling as a welcome change; perhaps this is what war was supposed to be like, when everypony was working together.

“What are you grinning about, lieutenant?” Belle said before dropping her saber forward to command another volley.

“Oh, nothing.” Dawn tried to return her face to a more serious expression, pushing her lips forward against the tension that wanted to pull them back.

Looking forward through her telescope, Dawn could see the sky becoming lighter, allowing her to just make out little spurts of sand that were flung up by the pirate’s bullets. Most of the projectiles were falling short by 100 lengths. On the left the rest of the battalion lined up at the edge of the trees, little darts of fire rippling across the line as each company started pouring volleys towards the pirates. Salvos from the artillery battery slammed into the base of the fort, chipping away large chunks of clay with each burst of explosive.

Out of the corner of her eye Dawn spotted the tan fur of Ditty lie down next to her. She kept her eye focused on the lens, but otherwise gave her attention to the bugler. “Ditty, Major Bolt wants the band to play something. Can you roun-.”

Dawn let her mouth hang open as the sparkle from a red flare arced through her lens.

“That ain’t good,” Big Mac said. His words seemed like a command as the guns on the Equestrian side of the battle fell silent.

Dawn swore, as did every officer who knew what the flare meant.

“Lieutenant, get down here!” Major Bolt galloped behind C Company, the other company officers following behind him.

Dawn dove down the hill. She spat out a lump of sand as she joined the officers. Major Noctilucent landed next to the group of ponies that were devolving into excited chatting amongst themselves. Dawn looked to Bolt to bring the group to order, but he simply stared in the direction of the flare, his expression grim.

“Get out of the way,” Spitfire roared to the officers as they parted to let the pegasus land. She skidded to a halt through the sand then put her head between her legs as she panted hard.

Bolt broke his stare and walked up beside the colonel. “What happened?”

“Damn … pirates … were waiting for us,” Spitfire spoke between deep breaths. “We lost two before we cleared them out. But the hostages were nowhere to be found; they must have moved them to this fort.”

“By Celestia, how could they have known,” Noctilucent mused.

“It doesn’t matter,” Spitfire snapped. “We need to get into this fort. Now.”

Dawn felt the familiar knot in her stomach return as she looked towards the imposing shape of Fort Pasterndt stand jagged against the pink edge of the sky.

“Ok, so what’s the plan,” Noctilucent asked.

“Damn, I was hoping you’d already thought of that,” Spitfire said. “The Wonderbolts can’t get in with those rifles tearing up the sky. We need to suppress them somehow.”

“We can take care of that,” Bolt said. “Give us two salvos from the artillery on the pirates entrenched in front of the fort for us to get a foothold, then a third salvo of smoke to provide cover for the Wonderbolts.”

“I’ll take the dragoons to the rear approaches of the fort; we can draw their fire and maybe find an alternate route if we need it.”

“It’s a plan. Let’s move everypony. Celestia help us all.” Spitfire spread her wings and took flight.

Major Bolt wasted no time. “I want C Company on fire support, A Company, you’re the lead. B and D Company, standby. All of you, get your companies formed up in front of the tanks!”

Dawn ran back to her company as the other commanders started galloping away. “Star, bring your platoon on line. Everypony, get ready for some shooting!”

“How bad is it, Dawn,” Star asked as she directed her ponies to line up on the left of Belle’s platoon.

“It’s not good, but we have a plan. We’re to stay here and provide fire support for A Company while they clear out those pirates in front of us.” Dawn fought back against the tension building in her gut. She watched the khaki formation materialize in front of her company’s hill. The blue and white silks fluttered at the head of the block, the golden alicorns that adorned the tips catching the first rays of dawn. The bugle call to fix bayonets sounded. The ponies twisted their necks back to grab the blades and attach them to their rifles.

“Dear Celestia,” Star muttered.

“Ayep,” Big Mac echoed the sentiment.

The land just beyond the tanks erupted in plumes of sand and smoke as the artillery’s first salvo crashed onto the pirates. The second volley screamed overhead, smashing down a moment later to intensify the violence.

The commander for A Company drew his saber and paced at the front of the block, his magic moving the blade in a salute to the colors before he shouted the order to advance.

“Five rounds, volley, FIRE!” Dawn shouted as A Company lurched forward. She ordered the second volley as the ponies extended their strides into the trot. The cloud of sand had cleared by the time Dawn commanded her third volley. She gasped as she saw hundreds of tiny figures emerge from the entrenchments. The pirates opened fire as she ordered her fourth volley.

The leading line of A company disintegrated immediately. The commander staggered, trying to restore the formation and urge his ponies forward into a canter. Their momentum halted as the colors fell to the ground. The ponies backpedaled before turning around completely to retreat.

Dawn was horrified. She watched with her mouth frozen on the letter f- for her last volley. She turned it into a profanity.

“We have to do something besides curse, ma’am,” Star said. The unicorn looked to the left. The other two companies were still struggling to march through the sand. They were too far away to curb the disaster.

“Star, wait …”

Star jumped to her hooves, flashing her saber as she took a perch on the crest of the hill. Her eyes burned with a determination that twinkled in the early light of dawn. She pointed her saber toward the enemy while offering her hoof to help her lieutenant to her hooves. “We can do this, Dawn. We can lead our ponies to victory. Just follow m-.”

The bullet that ended Star’s life grazed the top of Dawn’s helmet, hitting her ear before flinging the helmet behind her. The projectile came to a rest, its energy spent, in a patch of clay.

Dawn backpedaled as the young unicorn who had been supporting her collapsed lifelessly to the ground. She rubbed her face frantically on her forelegs, trying to remove the splatter of blood while ignoring the stream of her own that trickled down her neck.

Despite the sun rising over the horizon, the world around Dawn felt devoid of any light. It was a black abyss which tempted her to submit. She wanted to do nothing more than cry.

“Ma’am! Dawn, listen to me,” Big Mac shook the blue pony, but she pushed back against his strong hooves.

“S-she c-can’t, it’s not t-true,” Dawn sobbed. Her nightmares had become a reality.

“Dawn, please, listen t’ me,” Big Mac wrapped his arms around Dawn. “You got t’ accept it and move on. You got t' accept the truth. She’s gone and ain’t nothing you can do.”

“B-but, I can’t, she wasn’t supposed to die.”

“I know, but we ain’t got the time now. You’re still our leader. We need you.”

Dawn pushed herself free of Big Mac’s embrace. She breathed in and out rapidly, then sat down next to the motionless body of Star. She ran a hoof through the unicorn’s cream fur. Her hoof moved to the mare’s mane, a long stroke carrying it past her horn to close her eyelids. Dawn heaved silently before she turned her tear clogged eyes to look around her.

Her ponies looked at her. She could see the sadness in their eyes, but another emotion shined just beneath. It was a gaze of expectance, waiting for the spark that would turn it into resolve. A spark Lieutenant Dawn knew only she could provide. That much she knew to be true.

She came to her hooves, drawing her saber. “I don’t have to tell you what to do,” Dawn spoke across her company as the ponies fixed their bayonets and leveled them towards the pirates. “Ditty, sound the charge.”

The sun was firmly above the horizon, bathing the ponies, as they charged to the sound of the bugles, in the bright, warm light of dawn.