• Published 4th Oct 2020
  • 421 Views, 26 Comments

Dawn's Candor - Clarke Otterton



All is at peace in a booming Equestria until a coal steamer is captured by Zebra pirates. It's up to Lieutenant Dawn Glean and Equestria's fnest to rescue them and uncover the truth in a daring expedition to the Zebra Isles.

  • ...
2
 26
 421

Chapter 10

Princess Celestia walked along the balcony, taking in the warm tones that the buildings of Roam reflected from the brilliant sun that looked down upon them. She admired the contrast in architecture that the zebra designers had used in their capital, the designs influenced by the diversity of the Empire. Exotic and organic structures stood side by side with newer, formal buildings of pink marble that bespoke of imperial splendor. The city had doubled, or perhaps even tripled, in size since Celestia’s last visit, which was when the then Zebra Kingdom was only one of the loose collection of tribes, principalities, and confederations that were now united under one Caesar.

Celestia stretched out the joints in her wings. She was still sore after several days cramped aboard the ship that was currently the surest way to travel from Equestria to Roam. Out above the city’s skyline Celestia spotted the round shapes of airships floating between columns of clouds. She had wanted to fly, and even flew from Canterlot to the aerodrome in Baltimare with the intent of catching an airship to Roam. But that was before the explosion of summer storm activity had grounded flights across the ocean. Celestia used the discomfort of the journey to remind herself to push for the expansion of the rail network in southern Equestria when she returned to Canterlot. The railways would be able to connect with the Zebra lines already being built near the border. Celestia concluded that a reliable land connection between the two countries would solve many problems.

The Caesar was due to arrive shortly from a visit to inspect the construction of the railways. Celestia had spent her time waiting by wandering through the city. She had met with the Equestrian ambassadors for a lovely lunch to discuss policy; such conversations were boring, but Celestia had found that the local cuisine was certainly more exciting, albeit spicy.

After lunch, Celestia had discovered a bookstore amid the plethora of shops that sprouted up along the main avenues. She went in hoping to find a book for her pupil, Twilight, that the studious pony had not yet read. A book titled The Starscape Letters, complete with a parallel translation into Ponish beside the vernacular of Roam, seemed like a promising gift. She browsed the store further to try to find a book for Luna but came up short. When she asked the storekeeper for recommendations, he showed her a section dedicated to the legends of Nightmare Moon; Celestia decided to try another store for her sister but thanked him anyways.

Celestia had spent the next two hours searching for the right souvenir for her sister. Luna’s letter troubled her, and she wanted to cheer her sister up with something special. She had not found anything when a messenger from the palace had prompted her to return for her audience with the Caesar. Celestia let her thoughts mull over her sister while she waited, her elegant frame leaning against the balcony railing. A clattering of hooves behind her brought her attention back to the present.

“Princess Celestia, to what do I owe the pleasure of your visit? A long time it has been, hasn’t it?” the Caesar announced as he stepped onto the balcony with the Equestrian princess. Celestia smiled warmly at the graying zebra.

“Indeed, it has Caesar Grevyi. I was just admiring how much Roam has grown since I was last here. I’m proud of the prosperity you have been able to bring for your land.” Grevyi walked to the railing to stand next to Celestia.

“The good times are here but came with a cost. I cannot regain the years I lost.” Grevyi sighed. “I no longer feel tempered to handle today’s fire. I think that perhaps soon I might retire.” Celestia understood the Caesar’s sentiment, for she had grappled with it herself during the long years of her sister’s banishment.

“Who do you have in mind to take over once you step down?” Celestia asked. Grevyi pointed his hoof down to the parade ground underneath the balcony. A zebra cohort had marched in for the changing of the guard while Celestia had been looking at the city.

“My son is in command down there. When I retire, I will leave the Empire in his care.” Celestia spotted the handsome officer in his imperial blue uniform standing in front of a line of smartly-dressed legionnaires. The last time she had seen the zebra he had been a small colt. Celestia scolded herself for her reliance on letters in lieu of travel.

Bits of the evening sun glinted off brass helmets and the bayonets that tipped striped-wooden rifles as the lines of zebras passed between each other. Celestia was impressed by the precision of the display but wished her sister could see it as well; Luna had always been more interested in military matters.

Grevyi continued, “But surely your visit is more than sightseeing. On what matter do we need agreeing?”

“Unfortunately, a matter of grave implications. One of our colliers was captured by zebra pirates and the crew held hostage,” Celestia said, a frown replacing the smile she had been wearing.

“Ah yes, my intel team briefed me yesterday, it is sad to see. I hope that the ocean for our trade does not become a place for tragedy.”

“A hope which is shared, my friend,” Celestia replied with her warmest tone before proceeding to the difficult request. “Before I left for here, I organized an expedition to rescue the hostages. We believe they are on the islands north of Port Zebae. I came to ask personally if my forces have permission to use that island as a staging point.” Grevyi frowned at the request.

“No, I’m afraid I can’t allow that, but I think it’s hardly necessary. Our intelligence reports that outside our territory is where you will find your adversary.” Grevyi motioned for his aide to bring a map. He pointed his hoof to the symbols of two fortresses on the islands north of Port Zebae. “These two forts are where you will find your ponies hidden. But for the peace of my zebras the main island is strictly forbidden. You may dock in the port for coal; we will provide it free of toll.”

“Perfect,” Celestia replied with the radiance of her smile returned. She was already drafting the words of her letter to Colonel Spitfire in her mind when a load bang from below startled her. The legionnaires fired an additional two volleys to salute the Caesar, then finished their march routine. The smoke from the rifles drifted upward, blending with the distant storm clouds that gathered on the horizon.

The low rumble of the frigate’s engine had become commonplace after two days stuffed aboard in dank, cramped quarters. Dawns ears had filtered out the noise after the first day while she continued her unfulfilling work of correcting C Company’s records. The vibrations, though, still tickled her hooves whenever she walked through the ship’s narrow corridors. Which is why Dawn felt it odd that the ship seemed strangely quiet and firm when she took a break from her work to ease the rumbling hunger in her stomach.

Dawn walked above decks to see if she could ascertain the reason for the engine to stop. She remembered the coal shortage that had caused so many problems for her just a few days ago and hoped that was not the case here.

The air outside was fresh but the salty morning breezes were giving way to the stifle of midday as the sun heated up the open expanse of sea. Dawn saw Major Bolt along with a yellow pegasus in the uniform of a Wonderbolts colonel. She assumed that pony to be Colonel Spitfire. Both ponies had their telescopes drawn and were looking east. Dawn pulled her own telescope out as she took a place next to Bolt on the railing. She trained it in the general direction and saw the hazy blue shapes of land jutting out from the horizon. Her heart leapt at the prospect of setting hoof once again on dry land. Then it sank as she remembered what awaited her on that land.

“Do you see it, lieutenant?” Major Bolt asked.

“Yes, sir,” Dawn replied. “How long before we make landfall?”

“Look a little bit more north,” Bolt said. Dawn corrected her telescope’s azimuth and refocused the lens on a black smudge that became clearer as she twisted the shaft. A plume of smoke rose and trailed behind a squat black shape that rested on the ocean surface.

“That’s our pirates, alright,” Colonel Spitfire spoke, collapsing her telescope. “You think we got the engines shutdown quick enough, major?”

“Why shutdown the engines?” Dawn was confused. “Shouldn’t we use all the speed we have to catch them?”

“That was my idea – get close and let my Wonderbolts finish the job,” Spitfire said sourly. “That is, before your major here stopped me. You better be right about this, Bolt.”

“I respect the colonel’s plan, and it would work if the air weren’t as clear in front of us as it is now. The pirates aboard that ship have perfect visibility to shoot down any pegasi we throw at them,” Bolt explained. “And all the intel we have on their ship indicates that it outmatches us in speed. So, our best bet is to remain undetected and observe where it goes.”

“So, we just wait out here until the pirates sail off, then land on the island,” Dawn asked.

“For now,” Bolt said. “We will follow them under sail power until evening.”

“Some of the crusty old sailors who’ve been in these waters before say that we can expect the storms behind us to form over the islands by then,” Spitfire said, an air of impatience in her voice. “That will give us the cover we need. Besides, we are stuck on these ships,” Spitfire spat in disgust, “until we get permission to land on that island. It’s Zebra territory.”

“Could you retrieve Captain Bounce, lieutenant?” Bolt asked.

“I’m afraid she is a bit … uh … indisposed at the moment,” Dawn said, recalling the image of her captain passed out next to a bottle of Celestia knows what.

“Hmm, and how so?”

“I believe she is too fond of the grapes for herself, sir,” Dawn tried to be subtle. “And too much molasses for her ponies.”

“Then why don’t you supply the cotton,” Bolt suggested.

“What the hay are you two talking about,” Spitfire growled.

“Grapes, cotton, and molasses,” Bolt said, letting his southern cadence dominate his voice along with a smirk. “You see …” Bolt flinched as a column of water spurted off the bow of the Phoenix, spraying the officers with water.

“Shit! Nice plan, major,” Spitfire snarked. She retrieved her telescope and trained it on the distant pirate ship. Dawn followed suit and saw a small flash and puff of smoke. Moments later another shell splashed down, this time near the port side of the Berrichonhead. Both ships lurched forward in the water as they fired up their engines. Black smoke poured out against the white backdrop of full sails.

The deck of the Phoenix came to life, ponies dashing to man their stations. Colonel Spitfire grabbed a passing naval officer. “How long until we get in range,” she asked the wide-eyed pony.

“Ten minutes before we can run the eight-inch guns out, ma’am.”

“Shit!” Spitfire acknowledged. She let out another stream of four-letter words as the Berrichonhead took a shell above her waterline. The vessel began to list in the water. “We need to get to land now!” Major Bolt nodded in agreement but frowned.

“Lieutenant, run to communications and await the order. In the meantime, Spitfire, I think we should set a course for our landing point.”

“I’ll get my ponies in the air to look for a suitable place. Bolt, go inform the captain to change course. And lieutenant, we need that order,” Spitfire barked over the cacophony of shouting ponies and splashing shells.

“Yes, sir. Yes, ma’am,” Dawn roared back. She cantered below decks, navigating through the now crowded corridors to find her way to the communications room. The floors rocked and shuttered as the gunner ponies started firing their pieces to warm the barrels before the frigate could get in range. Another thud rattled through Dawn as she collided with Big Mac in the doorway.

“Sorry, ma’am,” Big Mac apologized while helping the lieutenant up from the floor. “What’s goin’ on out there?”

“Pirates,” Dawn said, shaking away the stars that hung over her head. She turned her eyes about the room and saw Ensign Xallec’t talking with two sailor ponies. His features were drawn and pale and his face sweaty as he referenced an open book on his desk. He then pulled out a box of signal flags from the corner locker and gave it to the sailors. The two brushed past Dawn out the door and towards the deck.

“You’ll have to excuse those two. What can I do for you?” Xallec’t asked, the faint outline of a courteous smile materializing on his lips.

“Any messages come in from headquarters? We need to know if we have permission to make landfall.” Dawn stated.

“I’m afraid the answer is no, but I sent a request several minutes ago.” The tele-fire machine glowed green as the zebra spoke. His eyes widened as he turned towards the machine’s compartment. “Or perhaps there is no need to fear, as our message is indeed here.” Xallec’t opened the compartment and pulled out a scroll to give to Dawn. She noted the “confidential” stamp as well as a crude yet intricate wax seal before she took the scroll in her mouth.

“That letter’s straight from the princess,” Big Mac commented in amazement. Dawn shot him a befuddled glance. “Recognize the seal from the letters Twilight used to get,” he explained. Dawn muttered a muffled order followed by a tilt of her head to motion for the red sergeant to follow her.

The two ran back through the corridors and outside. The island was much closer now with a gap in the landmass revealing the cove that the ships were sailing towards. The pirate ship moved along the edge of the island, a near constant series of flashes erupting along the black hull. The Phoenix had positioned between the pirates and the damaged Berrichonhead limping on the frigate’s starboard side. The frigate’s crew were answering the pirate’s fire with equal intensity, causing white plumes of water to splash around the enemy ship. The roar of cannons and smell of sulfur was overwhelming.

Dawn froze on deck, her eyes darting across the clusters of ponies to try and find Major Bolt. Big Mac was much calmer and pointed out the major next to Colonel Spitfire at the bow of the ship. The two cantered to the officers. Bolt raised an eyebrow at the muffled words Dawn tried to say. Big Mac jumped in to translate, “Message from Princess Celestia, sir.”

Spitfire yanked the scroll from Dawn’s mouth and tore open the seal. Bolt opened his mouth to protest then closed it again in a perplexed expression. Spitfire’s eyes moved rapidly as she scanned the letter then rolled it up and tossed it to Bolt, who flipped the letter over to examine the broken wax. “We’ve got our permission to land. What’s the matter, major, haven’t you ever seen a letter from the princess before?” Spitfire’s voice had an extra layer of edge in it.

“Actually, I have,” Bolt replied. He brought his hoof up to scratch through his mane.

“We don’t have time for this,” Spitfire was annoyed.

“Right,” said Bolt, rolling the scroll and placing it in his saddlebag. “Are your pegasi ready for the transfer of staff?”

“Always. Are your ponies ready?”

“Just about,” Bolt said. He looked at Dawn. “Lieutenant, myself and the rest of the battalion staff will be directing the landing from the Berrichonhead. There is no time to transfer C Company, so that leaves Captain Bounce in charge of the company’s landing. When she wakes up can you … never mind, there she is.” The cherry red unicorn stumbled across the deck towards them. Dawn prayed to Celestia that her captain’s stumbling was a result of the frigate’s maneuvers. Her stomach tightened.

A shell exploded on the port side, sending sharp chunks of wood and gnarled metal through the air. Dawn flinched. She watched the blast carry Bounce upward then fling her body onto the deck. When the smoke cleared Dawn could see her captain attempt to get up, but her foreleg was no longer attached as it should be. She wanted to vomit.

“Well, congratulations Lieutenant Dawn, you’re in command now,” Bolt said. The words were too much. Dawn emptied what little was in her stomach on the deck. Bolt chuckled as he patted her on the back.

“The Phoenix will stay back to provide cover while the Berrichonhead makes for land,” Bolt briefed. Dawn forced herself to regain composure. Her body was tense. “Our goal is to position the light artillery on that cliff face and force the pirates back into open waters. Once that battery is firing, the Phoenix will make a run for the cove and get your ponies on land. We will regroup after that.”

“Yes, sir,” Dawn acknowledged the plan, but her mind raced to put together the pieces she had to do for her part of it. Dawn felt a resurgence of bile in her throat. She was not ready for this burden of responsibility; she should not even be an officer, let alone a company commander for two hundred ponies, and certainly not now. She did not trust herself.

“Lieutenant Dawn, you okay?” Big Mac asked. Dawn nodded, bringing herself back to reality. The red stallion’s eyes were fixed on her with a focused intensity that matched his next words, “what are your orders, ma’am?”

Big Mac trusts you, so why can’t you? Dawn dismissed the little pony in her head. Not now. “Go to the lower decks and inform the sergeants that I want the company to stand to. We need to be ready to move quickly when the time comes. I will round up the other officers and brief them.”

Big Mac saluted then trotted off. Dawn followed shortly thereafter. She passed by the mess that was once her company commander. Several medical ponies were tending to the red unicorn; she had lost consciousness. Dawn tried not to look lest she feel another bout of vomiting come on. She sighed instead. Cherry Bounce might not have been the best officer, but the bubbly mare did not deserve for her career to end so soon or so violently. No pony did.

Dawn found the platoon commanders lounging around a table in the tiny mess hall at the stern of the frigate.

“What’s going on?” Star asked.

“Where’s Captain Bounce?” Belle said, ears flattening as she stood up from her chair.

“Everypony, listen up,” Dawn commanded. “Captain Bounce has been injured, so I’m in charge now. The main force is going to land on the island and take up positions to force the pirates away. Our ship is providing cover until that happens. I need each of you to move with haste, maintain control of your platoons, and for the love of Celestia, listen to my orders.” Dawn directed her last statement towards Belle. The unicorn’s ears nearly disappeared against her neck.

“Shall we go on deck to get appraised of the situation?” Star asked innocently.

“No!” Dawn nearly jumped over the table. “No, the deck is too hot right now. We can’t lose any more officers. Each of you, go to the lower decks and wait with your platoons until the order is given.” The ponies shuffled down the stairs while Dawn ran back to the upper deck. She was sweating.

The island loomed ahead. Atop one of the cliffs that surrounded the cove Dawn could see the crumbling ruins of an old castle that had once guarded the entrance. The Berrichonhead was steaming ahead, trying to complete its run to safety under the protective shadow of the castle. The pirates’ ship was arcing around the point of the castled cliff, the frequency of water plumes erupting around the Berrichonhead indicating that the pirates had caught on to the plan and chosen that ship as their primary target. The Phoenix plowed through the waves at full speed, attempting to get between the Berrichonhead and the pirates’ line of fire. The frigate’s own guns barked rapidly, answering each shot the pirates threw at the Equestrians. A few columns of smoke rose from the pirates’ ship to show that the Phoenix had scored a few hits, but none of them decisive. The duel continued.

The gun teams attached to the dragoons took off from the Berrichonhead, the pegasi towing their guns against an increasingly cloudy sky while the first boats of khaki ponies dropped into the water and rowed towards the beach. Dawn rubbed water splashed by a near miss off her telescope’s lens. She watched with familiarity as the guns were unlimbered on the heights, each pony moving with practiced precision. The officers, referring to little notebooks held in their wings, adjusted the gun’s angles. Groups of ponies fetched shells from the nearby caissons, tossing them to others who shoved them into the weapon’s breach then stood back.

Dawn wished for a brief moment that she was a pegasus. Being in a wing artillery battery sounded a lot cooler than her start in the regular field artillery. Or as the sole pony in charge of leading two hundred other ponies. Dawn felt sick again.

The battery opened fire, the flashes from the guns reflecting against the darkening sky. The guns took several shots to home in on the range but were soon hitting very close to the pirate ship, forcing it to sail farther out. The ship turned its starboard to allow its guns to meet the threat.

The battalion’s first companies made landfall, the small boats scraping onto the sand. Little figures in khaki jumped out, led by the blue and white silks of the colors as they clambered up the side of the heights towards the castle.

Dawn was knocked off her hooves as the Phoenix pulled a hard turn to port to present its full broadside to rake the exposed stern of the pirates. A wave crashed over the frigate’s bow, soaking Dawn as she scraped herself off the deck. The sea was becoming choppier. Fierce whitecaps battered the hulls of the dueling ships and doused the decks in swirling, foaming brine.

A shell from the wing battery scored a direct hit on the pirates, toppling the main mast. Dawn tried to see the full extent of damage, but the heavens opened up in torrents of rain. The sweeping grey sheets obscured everything except the deck in front of her. Ponies scurried around her, clambering up ropes to furl the sails before the strong winds caught them and sheared the masts down with them. A violent gust threw Dawn down on the deck again. She struggled to get up, mostly to avoid a blow from the hooves that trampled around her, but the ship was being tossed too violently by the storm.

Dawn gave up and let the storm pelt her as she lay, the cold drops stinging against her face. A bolt of lightning flashed on the horizon, illuminating the outline of land against the sudden darkness of the maelstrom. Dawn felt the frigate turn beneath her towards the island. She counted the minutes with her watch. It felt like an eternity.

Bits of land began to emerge through the murk before the frigate’s bow. Then a sharp rock struck up through the waves. The frigate pulled hard away from the danger. Dawn slid across the deck. The maneuver was barely enough, the crack of splintering wood and scraping metal sounding above the pounding of rain and thunder. Then the frigate jolted to a sudden halt. Dawn rolled towards the stern as the bow was lifted skyward by a sand bar along the beach. The Phoenix had made landfall.