• ...
7
 49
 1,345

Stiff Competition

“Talking”
YELLING
Thinking
Telepathic link
Songs
Flashback
"Transformation Index


Stiff Competition


OP - "WE HAVE A CITY TO BURN" by Aram Zero

Dustin and Sonata had joined were with the girls back in the Café, explaining everything to them. Of course, Rainbow Dash was having a trust issues with Sonata, but after some convincing from Dustin, Rainbow decided to give Sonata a chance.

The others were listening to everything Dustin and Sonata was explaining to them.

“So, you’re saying that Decibus has teamed up with Adagio and Aria?” Sunset asked Sonata, who just nods in confirmation.

“And he has a weapon in the works called the Decimator?” Twilight asked Sonata, who nods again.

“I’m not sure what “decimator” means, but I bet a weapon with a name like that means trouble.” Spike said with worry.

“Well, I managed to wreck its power core, but I bet he’s got it fixed by now.”

Rainbow then gets into Sonata’s face, still not trusting her.

“And why exactly are you helping us?”

Sonata was getting uncomfortable by Rainbow’s gaze, but she managed to answer.

“When Dustin here said that making the competition a friendly one, and noticing all the bitterness and conflict me, Aria and Adagio were causing, I felt like that I had to do something.” Sonata said, and Rainbow’s glare softened a bit, but was still a bit suspicious. “Plus, I know Decibus is up to something. I just don’t trust this guy.”

“But why is Decibus helping those two, anyway? What does he get out of this?” Twilight asked wit curiosity, and the others wandered the same thing.

“No clue. But whatever it may be, I doubt it will be good.” Pixel said, then Pinkie noticed Sonata’s pendant.

“Hey. Wasn’t your pendant red?” Pinkie asked, pointing at Sonata’s pendant. The others noticed this too.

“Yeah, Last time I saw yours was red in color, much like Aria and Adagio's.” Fluttershy said.

“Well, our pendants absorb negativity. But when Dustin was cheering me up, it must have absorbed the positivity.” Sonata explained, and the other girls seemed to find this plausible.

“That could be a strong possibility.” Twilight said in thought. Dustin then looks to Sunset.

“Yo, Sunny”, Sunset looks to Dustin. “You remember that I said that we could use a backup singer?” Sunset nods as Dustin looks to Sonata. “Well, I think I just found that backup singer.”

This reveal shocked the others.

“Huh”, The others asked in shock.

“I know it sounds crazy, but Sonata could actually be of some help. Besides, she’s a siren like Aria and Adagio, so why not fight fire with fire, am I right?” Dustin asked the girls, but the girls were silent at this moment. Nobody uttered a word for a few seconds, until Sunset spoke.

“Well, you gave me a second chance, Dustin. So, if you trust Sonata, then I see no reason why I shouldn’t.” Sunset then offered a hand to Sonata. “Welcome to the band, Sonata.” And with that, Sonata and Sunset shook hands.

“Well, if Sunset is in on this, then so am I.” Fluttershy said with a soft smile.

“Yay, a new friend!” Pinkie said in glee and excitement.

“Well, ah suppose ah can trust ya if the others do.” Applejack said with a nod.

“Count me in as well, darling.” Rarity said with a smile.

“This is a shocking turn of events, but I suppose you have my trust.” Twilight said as Spike got onto Sonata’s lap, nuzzling her arm. “And I guess Spike can agree.”

“Well, you look like somebody I can trust. So, welcome to the gang, sister.” Pixel said with a smile and a nod.

All that was left is Dash, who still had some trust issues.

“Well, I still don’t trust you.” Rainbow said as Sonata was a bit nervous from the glare Rainbow was giving her. “But if the others are ok with this, then so am I.” Rainbow said, making Sonata smile bashfully.

“Well, alright. Now that’s settled, we best head back to CHS. Hopefully things haven’t gone to awry.” Dustin said as the group got ready to leave.


Later, the Dustin and the girls had met up back in the school gymnasium, where tensions were high as bands were all in separate groups.

Band members glanced at their opponents while the gang just watched by the snack table, where Pinkie was stuffing herself with chocolate chip cookies while Twilight was sipping on some fruit punch.

“Shit. Tensions are at an all-time high.” Dustin muttered, and the others nod in agreement.

“You said it, my boy.” Allister said, surprising him and the girls.

GAH! Jesus Al, you gotta stop doing that!” Dustin said in shock.

“You know me, kiddo.” Allister then looks to Sonata. “And I take it we have a new band member?”

“Yep. Say hello to our backup singer, Sonata Dusk.” Dustin said, motioning to Sonata.

“Pleasure to meet you, my dear”, Al said before grabbing her hand, kissing it, making Sonata giggle and blush.

As the silent arguing continued as Flash Sentry reeled back his arm, looking like he was about to punch Snips in the face. But he didn't as he just grabbed the plastic cup that he had set down on the stage.

"I'm gonna get more punch!" he said angrily after a quick sigh. As he walked back over to the snack table, he didn't notice that Twilight was unknowingly walking towards him still drinking her punch. They both bumped into each other, causing their cups to drop as Flash caught Twilight before she could fall as well.

"Twilight", Flash asked in surprise as he held onto her.

"Eh, bumped, into, always, doing?" Twilight asked nervously with a blush.

"What are you doing here?" he asked, holding her at the shoulders, "You came back for the big competition, right?"

"Something like that," Twilight replied.

"Huh," Flash said, "Not that there's gonna be any real competition," he gloated, "No one here wants this as bad as my band does!" he stated. Just then, Sonata gasped and had a wide-eyed look.

“Sonata, you alright?” Dustin asked Sonata, only for her to point to at a direction.

Dustin and Rainbow noticed Aria and Adagio come through the doors.

“Oh shit. We got trouble.” Dustin said with a frown. Rainbow reacted quickly, grabbing a chocolate chip from one of Pinkie's cookies, and then tossed it at Twilight's head. It fell into her hair, making her have to rub it out as she turned to see Rainbow gesture her head in the direction of the girls. She then looked over to see the two sirens walking across the gym.

"Can you excuse me for just a minute?" Twilight asked as she walked off. Flash shrugged in reply as the girls all began to gather together. Pinkie took the time to gather up all the cookies that she could carry in her hair.

"Looks like it's go time," Dustin said as the girls were gathering.

"Are you sure this will work?" Sonata asked Dustin.

"Don’t worry. They got this in the bag." Dustin said with a wink to her.

"Totally", Pixel agreed, "And once it's all over, we can go back to thinking about our song!"

"Yeah" Dustin asked, "We do. Now, what song do we use is the question.”

Meanwhile, Aria and Adagio walked to the center of the gym, seeing the arguing escalate from silence to shouting.

"Oh, no, no one's mingling!" Adagio said in mock surprise, "It's like there's some kind of underlying tension that could bubble to the surface at any minute!" she said.

“Hehehe, how awful.” Aria said before taking a sip, having a look of disgust on her face. "Ugh. But not as awful as the punch!" Aria admitted.

"This is just the kickoff party, Aria," she said sinisterly, "Imagine what a tizzy they'll be in by the time the Battle of the Bands starts," she noted.

"There isn't going to be a Battle of the Bands!" Twilight exclaimed, getting their attention, "We're gonna make sure of that!" she stated proudly, standing with the other girls as Sunset watched excitedly with Allister, Sonata and Dustin, "Alright, girls, let's do this!" Twilight said as her friends all joined hands, "Friendship is magic!" she exclaimed as the girls all shut their eyes, anticipating that their magic would activate. But it wasn't, leaving an awkward silence in the gym.

"Uh… why isn't it working", Dustin said he and Sunset both cringed while everyone else was perplexed by the situation.

"Uh, weren't there rainbows and lasers and stuff last time?" Rainbow asked Twilight after opening her eyes.

"I don't understand," Twilight said, "We're all together again," she added, "Why isn't this working?"

"Okay…" Sonata said as she walked over to Dustin and Sunset, "Mind telling us why nothing just happened?"

"I dunno…" Pixel admitted, "Last time they all united, their magic activated, and they shot a rainbow tornado right at Sunset…"

"Well, powers aren’t easy to master.” Allister said to the gang.

"You, uh... really need to go ahead and do that whole "magic of friendship" thing now," Spike said as he crawled up onto Twilight's shoulder.

"I'm trying, Spike," she replied, "I thought the six of us standing together against the sirens would bring out the magic we needed to defeat them," she explained, "That's what happened before."

"Talk about throwing down the gauntlet!" Adagio noted, "This group is obviously serious about winning!" she added, "A little cocky though, aren't they?" she asked, "Claiming there won't really be a battle. Seems they think they already got this thing all locked up," she suggested as everyone glared down at the girls.

"You know damn well that ain’t true, cheese puff!" Dustin shouted as he ran between the Rainbooms and Aria and Adagio.

"And then there's this big talker too!" Adagio mentioned, walking up to the Dustin, "Thinking he's so great with his little old superpowers. He must think his band is going to show all of you what it means to show off!"

“What”, Dustin asked in a mix of anger and shock.

“That is so not true!” Sonata yelled as she walked besides Dustin, glaring daggers at Aria and Adagio, who were wide eyed.

"Sonata!?" Adagio asked in surprise, but Aria growled at her former teammate.

"What are you doing here?" Aria asked with a growl, but Sonata was not backing down.

"Helping my new friends here take you two down, that's what!" Sonata declared, shocking both Adagio and Aria, but Adagio then grinned.

"Oh? So you think you and your gang has what it takes to rise above the rest? Face it, Sonata! You're nothing but second fiddle! Always have been, and always will be!" Adagio said to Sonata, but she stood her ground.

"Ouch." Sunset said with a wince.

"Not if the Great and Powerful Trrrrrixie has anything to do with it!" Trixie exclaimed.

"Whatever, Trixie!" Flash yelled, "We're the best band at CHS!" he stated.

"No! The Crusaders are gonna win!" Apple Bloom shouted. The arguing quickly escalated back to shouts and yells, and unknowingly to everyone except the Aria and Adagio, the aura of negative energy began to flow throughout the gym, making its way the two sirens, going straight into their necklaces.

Adagio grinned as she grabbed her gem, satisfied with the amount of energy she got, but she then looked up to see that Dustin, Allister and the girls weren't arguing, unlike the other bands. The Rainbooms turn to leave,

"I think we may have found what we're looking for," Adagio realized, "Or rather, it found us," she noted. Aria grinned as she knew what Adagio was saying.

Sonata saw the arguments escalate and decided to act. She sang a positive tune, causing the fighting to die down along with the arguing, this both shocked confused and shocked Aria and Adagio.

“Huh?” Aria asked.

“How”, Adagio asked as Sonata the arguing died down.

“You may have everyone under your spell, but thanks to Dustin, I've gained a new power, with which I'll help my new friends stop you!” Sonata said defiantly to Aria and Adagio.

“Yeah, and who would want help from a loser like you?” Aria growled to Sonata.

“Don’t you dare talk to her like that!” Pixel said to the two as she walked to Sonata and Dustin.

"I bet you know that I’m a special case too," Dustin said from behind the girls.

"Oh, of course you are!" Adagio said, "After all, you're the one who helped save Canterlot High a while back," she noted.

"I ain’t talking about that," Dustin said, sternly glancing at Adagio, "I'm talking about not being under your so-called spell." Adagio just grinned at Dustin.

"That doesn't matter," Adagio said as she traced a hand across Dustin’s arm, much to his discomfort, "You and your friends aren't part of the equation…" She then winked at Dustin, before waving her fingers as she walked off. Aria then followed suit, bumping into Sonata and Dustin.

“Guys…” Sonata said a bit disheartened.

“No doubt Decibus’ has those two under his grasp.” Allister said he and Sunset walked to the two.

"No doubt about it." Dustin said a bit disgruntled as they walked off as well. But what Dustin didn’t realize is that the aura of the negative energy suddenly flew out of each of him in an electric blue color as it made its way into both Adagio and Aria’s pendants. They both stopped after the energy was absorbed.

"Whoa…" Aria said, "That felt different…" Adagio’s hands then morphed into Firefox’s hands, they were orange, yellow and maroon color. Aria’s eyes change into those of Softwear, but purple in color. This strange occurrence surprised the two.

"You’re right." Adagio said, a bit weirded out. “This is unexpected.”

“Well, I think you just got a little extra edge in case the boy decides to get in our way," Decibus said as he confronted the two, a wicked grin visible on his visor.

"How", Aria asked, pretty perplexed, only for Decibus to chuckle.

"Are you familiar with the phrase, “fight fire with fire”?” Decibus asked with an evil chuckle as Adagio and Aria began grin, knowing what Decibus had meant.


"So what now", Pixel asked, "The magic didn't work, and everything's getting worse…"

"It doesn't make any sense," Twilight said as she and the other girls were at the entrance steps of the school, "I should have been able to create the spark that would help us break their spell," she said as she continued to pace back and forth nervously, "That's how it worked before."

“Somethings are easier said than done, my dear.” Allister said with a shrug.

"But to defeat me, you drew magic from the crown I was wearing," Sunset noted.

"But our magic comes from our music," Sonata added, "So maybe you have to use the same kind of magic to defeat them," she suggested.

“Why can’t you do it?” Rainbow asked Sonata. “You’re a siren, right?”

“Not by myself, no.” Sonata said sadly.

"I think you're onto something," Twilight replied. Dustin was catching onto what Twilight meant.

"Yeah, it’s when you gals play music that you transform now, right?" Dustin asked.

"Yup," Applejack said with a nod, "Ears, tails, the whole shebang."

"So maybe the way to use that magic to defeat the sirens is by playing a musical counter-spell!" Twilight implied.

"You mean like a song?" Fluttershy asked, brushing her hair away.

"Uh-huh," Twilight replied as the boys all sat down. "And in order to free everyone who's been exposed to the sirens' spell, we'll need them all to hear it."

“But I doubt that’s gonna be easy due to how competitive everybody is.” Pixel said with a bit of doubt.

“Well, we do have a back-up plan, just in case.” Dustin said, making the others look to him.

“Wait!” Sunset said in realization “You mean Jammer?”

“Bingo!” Dustin replied.

“Who”, Twilight asked with confusion.

“Oh right. You didn’t see the new transformation I’ve got.” Dustin said before turning on the Digitrix and transformed into Jammer, much to Twilight’s surprise.

“Remarkable…” Twilight said in amazement.

“Oh right. Like back at the cafeteria, you used Jammer to diffuse the fight there.” Rainbow said, getting what Dustin was implying.

“But how are we gonna get a whole group of students to hear the counter-spell is the question.” Pixel pondered, until Rarity gasped as she realized something.

"The band competition!" she said standing up, "That's the next time we can be certain everyone will be in the same place at the same time," she explained.

"Guess the Rainbooms are the band to beat," Applejack said, putting her hand on Rainbow's shoulder as they both got up.

"Of course, you guys have us to back you up." Dustin noted with Sunset nodding, albeit with little enthusiasm.

"And I believe you, Twilight, just became the Rainbooms' newest member," Rarity added. The girls all began cheering and laughing at the fact Twilight would be joining them, walking over to her as Sunset had a sad look on her face.

“You alright Sunny”, Dustin asked Sunset, who just nods.

“I just don’t know how much help I’m gonna be for this.” Sunset said, but Sonata patted her back.

“Dustin told me about your…uh…past accomplishments, but you’re not that person anymore.” Sunset looks to Sonata with a heartfelt smile, “besides, you’ve got amazing friends to help you out.”

"Of course, Twilight's gonna need to play an instrument to be in the band," Allister noted.

“Already killed the mood Al”, Dustin said to Allister with a deadpan look.

"So, what do you wanna play?" Pinkie asked, jumping into the conversation, "Triangle?" she asked as she played a little ding on one, "Sousaphone?" she asked again, blowing a sousaphone right in Twilight's face, messing up her hair, "Theremin?" she asked, playing the somewhat creepy sounding instrument, "Soooo magical," she said with satisfaction.

"Uhhhh…" Pixel said nervously.

"I might take a little too long to learn how to play something with these," she said, referring to her hands, "I'll just sing."

"Like, as in, lead singer?" Rainbow asked, leaning up to Twilight, "Cuz that's usually my gig. This being my band and all," she added wrapping her arm around Twilight.

“Oh boy”, Dustin uttered to himself nervously.

"It's our band!" Applejack said, upset, "And, of course, as lead singer," she added, pulling her away from Rainbow, "She's the one with the magical know-how to help us pull this thing off."

"Okay, yeah, that's cool," Rainbow replied, "I'll just use this as a chance to hone my already insanely good lead guitar skills," she added, moving her hands around like she was playing her own guitar.

"It's only temporary," Twilight said, "And we don't have to win the Battle of the Bands," she added, "We just have to perform during the first round of the competition."

"So let's get to learning that musical counter-spell!" Rainbow chimed in.

"Well, that's just it," Twilight said, "I don't know any," she admitted.

"Awww..." the girls all sighed.

"But I'm sure I could figure out how to write one," Twilight mentioned.

"Totally", Spike added, walking over to her, "Twilight can write a spell like it's nobody's business," he said while tapping his paw against her foot, "That's pretty much how she got to become a princess in Equestria," he finished with his paws crossed.

"Technically, I helped finish a spell," Twilight admitted, "And there was a little more to it than that, Spike."

"Yeah, whatever," Spike said.

"I've got this," Twilight said confidently, "C'mon!" she said, picking up Spike, looking to Dustin. "You guys still have the guest room?"

"Well" Pixel said "I kinda moved in there after you left, but we can bunk together."

"Are you crazy?!" Pinkie exclaimed in surprise, "We're besties now!" she said, hugging Twilight with all her might, squeezing Spike in between them, "Slumber party at my house!" she exclaimed as she lifted Twilight into the air.

"Slumber party, huh?" Dustin said as Pinkie put Twilight down, "Well, I guess it’s just you and me tonight Al."

"Actually, why don’t you go with them? I’ve got a ton of things to do." Allister suggested, surprising Dustin.

"Uh, Al, I'm pretty sure slumber parties are for girls only," Dustin said, but Pinkie appeared behind him.

"Great idea, Al!" Pinkie replied as Dustin was just shocked.

"Uhhhhhhh…..," Dustin was just too shocked to say anything.

“Well, better get going. Tootles. Have fun.”

Allister then walked off, leaving the kids to their business.


Outside on the track field, Allister was standing out on the field’s center. He seemed to be waiting for something or someone.

“So, you are here after all, Allister.” Allister turns to see none other than Decibus. Allister and Decibus just glared at each other with, never uttering a word. But after a minute of intense silence, Allister decides to finally speak.

“It has been ages, Count Dubstep.” Allister said, making Decibus growl in response.

“Do not use that title in front of me! That title died off years ago.”

“I never thought I’d see your ugly mug again.” Allister said, crossing his arms.

“The feeling is quite mutual, Allister.” Decibus places his hands on his hips. The two just glared at each other again before Decibus smirks.

“But I will say, I’d never thought I’d find the Digitrix here, let alone Zeke and Lexi’s little brat.” Decibus’ words shocked Allister.

“How did…” Allister was about to say, but Decibus cut him off.

“Before you ask, I was unaware of who the boy was at first. But when I saw him transform earlier, I had my suspicions.” Decibus then brought up a tablet and typed on the screen a few times before showing a file of Dustin on the screen to Allister. “So I did a little research, and suffice to say, I was quite surprised upon this reveal.”

“Well, I never took you for a babysitter.” Allister then crossed his arms, his glare never ceasing. “Just what are your plans with Adagio and Aria? Last I recall, you aren’t the kind of person that accepts help.”

“I take it that Sonata has informed you?” Decibus chuckled, making Allister growl. “And I assume this is the part where I start monologuing like we’re in some cheesy spy movie?”

Allister growls, his patience waning fast.

“Sonata also informed us about some weapon you’ve made called the Decimator! What do you plan to do with it?”

Decibus only wags his finger in response.

“You'll know soon enough. You know me, I don’t give spoilers.” Decibus chuckled, and Allister growls. “Tell me, my old friend. Do you truly believe your little posse has what it takes to defeat me?”

“Trust me, Decibus, you haven’t seen what they are capable of.”

“Hmmm, true. Not that it matters.” Decibus was about to walk off, but he stops as a energy shot landed a few inches in front of him. Decibus turns to see that h has a large gun barrel out of one of his sleeves.

“I’m not done with you yet, bastard!” Allister growled, but Decibus chuckled.

“Oh, but I’m done with you.” Decibus taunted when suddenly, a transparent black tendril emerged behind Allister and phased into his head, making Allister scream for a brief minute before collapsing to the ground. Allister groans a bit before going unconscious.

“A bit overkill, don’t you think, miss Dazzle?” Decibus asked as a massive black mass formed and took on Adagio’s body shape.

"Can't be too careful." Adagio said with a grin before changing back to her normal self. Aria then walks onto the scene.

"What did you even do to him?" Aria asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Oh, just messed with its brain to knock him out." Adagio said as Aria placed a finger on his neck, feeling a pulse.

“Should've just killed the old fart.” Aria said with a roll to the eyes.

“Now, now, Aria. Let’s save the bloodshed for the right moment. For now, we must be on our way. We have so much to do, and so little time.” And with that, Decibus, Adagio and Aria began to walk as Allister laid there.