• ...
7
 49
 1,345

Battle of the bands

“Talking”
YELLING
Thinking
Telepathic link
Songs
Flashback
"Transformation Index


Battle if the Bands


OP - "WE HAVE A CITY TO BURN" by Aram Zero

In the cafeteria, Dustin met up with the girls as they all sat down at one of the longer tables in the area.

"So, how was the tour?" Applejack asked as Sunset sat down, with a worried look in her eyes.

"I dunno…" she answered as she looked up to the ceiling, "These girls, they were- There was something off about them," she said.

“You mean Adagio, Sonata, and Aria?” Dustin asked, to which Sunset answered with a nod.

"Like off like this?" Pinkie asked as she had put her hair in front of her face like a beard,

"Or off like this?" she asked again, this time with lettuce on her eyebrows, and carrots in her mouth for teeth.

"Or… ooh ooh! Like-"

"Maybe we should just let her tell us," Rainbow said before Pinkie could make another ridiculous face. She stopped, letting a carrot drop out of her mouth.

"That's just it," Sunset said with her hand on the table, "I can't put my finger on it. They just acted sort of… strange around me…" she finished, waving her hands with a confused look, while everyone else listened.

"You mean like a creepy kind of strange?" Dustin asked.

"I guess…" Sunset said as she put her hands on her head to try and think as she looked away from everyone. Dustin then remembered the talk he had with Celestia, Luna and Allister.

“Speaking of which, you’re not gonna believe what I was told at Celestia’s office.” Dustin said as the girls looked to him.

“Go on. Do tell, darling.” Rarity motioned for him to speak. Dustin took a deep breath and began to explain.


Meanwhile


Adagio, Aria, Sonata and Decibus were right outside the cafeteria, preparing to enter.

"This is it girls," Adagio said, "The moment we've been waiting for."

"Lunch", Sonata asked excitedly, making Aria and Adagio glance at her angrily.

"The chance to get our true Equestrian magic back," Adagio explained after a quick groan.

"Oh. Right," Sonata realized as Aria just scoffed.

"Our voices are just strong enough to make them want something so badly, they'll fight to get it," Adagio explained as she looked through the glass doors.

"So we're just gonna do what we always do?" Aria asked, "Stir up some trouble and then feed off the negative energy?" she said sarcastically, "Some plan, Adagio."

“Keep in mind; this was my plan, Aria.” Decibus said to Aria, making her look away in slight fear of the dirty look he was giving her.

"It won't be the same as the times before!" Adagio argued, "There is Equestrian magic here. Their negative energy will give us the power we need to get this entire world to do our bidding," she said with an evil smile.

"But we can get lunch after though, right?" Sonata asked, "It's Taco Tuesday!" she exclaimed excitedly as she eyed a poster of tacos.

“Focus on the plan, Sonata!” Decibus said to Sonata, making her jump at his tone.

"Just follow my lead," Adagio said, pointing at Sonata.

"Or my lead," Aria stated.

"My lead," Adagio said angrily, grabbing Aria's shirt with a threatening look. She then let go, ready to walk into the cafeteria while Sonata smiled as Aria crossed her arms angrily.


After a few minutes of explaining, the girls were wide eyed at what they heard. Honestly, they didn’t know what to believe.

Then, Adagio, Aria and Sonata entered, suddenly vocalizing, loud enough to get the attention of the girls and the boys near the back of the cafeteria. They began walking slowly down the aisles of the tables, still vocalizing loud enough to get the students' attentions one by one.

The Dazzlings: Ah, ah-ah, ah-ahh
Ah, ah-ah, ah-ahh
Ah, ah-ah, ah-ahh
Ah, ah-ah, ah-ahh
Adagio Dazzle: We heard you want to get together
We heard you want to rock this school
We've thought of something that is better
Something that changes all the rules
Why pretend we're all the same
When some of us shine brighter?
Aria Blaze and Sonata Dusk: Shine brighter
Adagio Dazzle: Here’s a chance to find your flame
Are you a loser or a fighter?
The Dazzlings: Me and you, you and me
Why don't we see who is better?
We don't have to be one and the same thing
Oh, what's so wrong with a little competition?
Are you afraid of failing the audition?
Adagio Dazzle: you’re a star and you should know it
Yeah, you rise above the rest
It doesn't matter who you hurt
If you're just proving you're the best
The Dazzlings: Ah, ahh-ahh-ahhh
Battle! You wanna win it
Let's have a battle, battle of the bands
Let's have a battle; we'll go all in it
Let's have a battle, battle, battle
Battle of the bands
The Dazzlings and students: Battle!
Blueberry Cake: I can beat you!
The Dazzlings and students: Battle!
Cherry Crash: Ha! You wish!
The Dazzlings and students: Battle!
Trixie Lulamoon: I so want this!
The Dazzlings and students: Battle!
Captain Planet: Not if I get it first!
The Dazzlings and students: me and you, you and me
Why don't we see who is better?
We don't have to be one and the same thing
Oh, what's so wrong with a little competition?
Students: I’m going out and winning the audition
The Dazzlings and students: Battle! We wanna win it
Let's have a battle, battle of the bands
Let's have a battle; we'll go all in it
Let's have a battle, battle, battle
Battle of the bands!

As the song ended, Dustin and the girls looked on to see that the students were arguing over who'd win the competition the mysterious girls thought of.

"Oh! They're that kind of 'off'!" Pinkie noted as they all looked back on the students with perplexed looks.

Decibus was watching everything unfold with an evil smile on his visor.

“Excellent. Everything is going rather smoothly.” Decibus said with a chuckle, but then noticed Dustin standing up.

“Time to give Jammer a test run”, Dustin said as he tapped the screen of the Digitrix, transforming into Jammer, surprising the girls with the new look. Adagio, Sonata and Aria were also shocked at the sudden sight of Dustin turning into Jammer.

“Whoa.” Pixel said as Dustin then strummed the strings on his guitar, making an upbeat rhythm, the speakers on his shoulders projected electric blue sound waves which calmed the arguing students and ceased the arguments.

From behind the door, Decibus was absolutely shocked at what he just saw.

“Impossible!” Decibus said in pure shock.

"That was so awesome!" Rainbow exclaimed as she saw that everyone had stopped with their arguing.

“I do what I can.” Dustin said with a smirk.

"What was that all about?!" Aria asked as Dustin, still as Jammer strapped his guitar to his back before pulling up his shades, glaring to Aria, Adagio and Sonata.

"Let me tell ya somethin’ ladies! If you wanna start a competition, why not make it a friendly one?" Dustin asked. "You don't need to start getting everyone riled up in here over that," he added. The other students listened and began talking amongst themselves again, all of them clearly feeling somewhat sorry for starting what could've been a serious competition, but they still glared at each other silently. Aria glared back while Sonata was smiling softly, but Adagio just smiled wickedly as she looked back up at him.

"Our apologies, handsome" Adagio said, circling around Dustin "We just want everyone to get excited about something like that. Wouldn't you?" she asked. Dustin just crossed his arms as he raised an eyebrow at her question. "Who knows? Maybe your band will want to join in on the fun," she added, making the students all converse with each other again.

"Not if it means having to turn it into an actual battle," Dustin replied, "There's a difference between having fun and having a competition you know."

"Very well," Adagio said, trailing her fingers along Dustin’s exposed abs, making him blush. "I'm sure we'll meet again," said Adagio, blowing a kiss goodbye to Dustin before turning around to exit with the other two girls, leaving him to blush madly before turning back to normal.

“Uh…what the fuck just happened?” Dustin said his face still red.

Meanwhile

Adagio, Aria and Sonata have met up with Decibus at their hideout, who was clearly thinking about a certain boy capable of transforming.

“Was the flirting really necessary, Adagio?” Aria asked with a deadpan look.

“Oh please, it was just a bit of teasing. Admittedly, he’s cute, but he’s way out of my league.” Adagio said with a shrug.

Unbeknownst to the others, Sonata was thinking about what Dustin said earlier, until Decibus broke her train of thought.

“That boy, no doubt he’ll muck up everything we’ve planned.” Decibus said with a growl, confusing Aria and Adagio.

“How so”, Aria asked, not getting Decibus’ point.

“Have you noticed that watch on his wrist?” Decibus asked the tree.

“Yeah, what about it”, Aria asked with a raised eyebrow.

“That device is known as the Digitrix. And if the Digitrix and its wielder are here, than no doubt the one behind its creation is here as well.” Decibus said, seething in rage, Adagio and Aria looked to each other with confusion looking back to Decibus.

“I take it you and the creator of this "Digitrix" have some history?” Adagio asked Decibus, who turned his head with a glare with enough venom to kill a full-grown whale in seconds.

“Oh, you have no idea!” Decibus said in a dangerously low tone, and Adagio figured she should just leave it at that.

“Well, you know…” Sonata said, getting the attention of Aria, Adagio and Decibus “The guy is right on one thing. If we’re going to make a competition, why not make it a friendly one?”

Adagio was shocked by this, Aria just face-palmed, but Decibus just chuckled.

“Ah, yes. That is a good train of thought, Sonata.” Decibus said sarcastically, making the three turn to him. “A good friendly competition sounds perfect…” Decibus said before flipping the table out of rage, startling the three “FOR A BUNCH OF IMBECILES!!!

Decibus then stormed to Sonata, making her cower a bit in fear.

“Dash it all, Sonata! I swear, do you not think before you speak!?” Decibus growled, Sonata still cowered a bit, but Decibus eventually took in a deep breath to calm down. “You must focus on the plan, Sonata. Do you not want to regain your lost powers? Do you not want the attention you, Adagio and Aria so righteously deserve?”

“Y-yes...but…” Sonata said, making Decibus growl.

“But- BUT WHAT!?”, Decibus yelled at Sonata, making her shiver in fear again.

“N-nothing”, Sonata muttered out, making Decibus calm down once more.

“If you’ll excuse me…I need some fresh air!” Decibus groaned before walking out, making Aria and Adagio look to her with deadpan looks.

“Nice going blabbermouth!” Aria said as Sonata looked down in shame.


Dustin and the girls were all walking down the main halls as they all tried to comprehend what they just witnessed. Rainbow was juggling a soccer ball as they conversed.

"Those three are definitely in possession of some kind of dark magic," Sunset explained, "How else could you explain what happened back there?"

“Wait! The singing sound like the singing I’ve heard from the audio recording Allister showed me at Principle Celestia’s office earlier.” Dustin said in realization.

“You don’t suppose they could be working for this Decibus guy you mentioned earlier, do you?” Fluttershy asked Dustin, who shrugged.

“No clue. But it could be a strong possibility.” Dustin said.

"But if they were, why make a battle of the bands and cause such a ruckus?” Pixel asked with confusion.

“Whatever the reason, I highly doubt it’ll be good.” Dustin said, pondering about the whole thing.

"Don't worry y'all," Applejack said reassuringly, "We let Principal Celestia know all about this, and those girls will be kicked to the curb in no time," she said confidently, "Last thing she needs is another CHS event almost ruined by some power crazed lunatic," she added, but then realized that Sunset was walking beside her. "Er, no offense," she apologized. Sunset sighed as she was still haunted by the past.

"None taken," she replied as they all continued to walk down the halls.


"Dark magic", Celestia asked as she looked through the blinds of her office as both the boys and girls had come in to talk with her, "I find that very hard to believe," she admitted, "Those girls came into my office earlier and were absolutely delightful."

“Oh boy, It looks like they’re affected by them as well.” Dustin whispered to Pixel.

"Uh," Luna scoffed, "Perhaps Sunset Shimmer is just eager to make someone else out to be a bad element, so that her actions at the Fall Formal will become old news," she said.

"How the hell could you even say that!?", Pixel asked angrily, surprising the others by Pixel’s outburst.

“Excuse me, young lady!?” Luna asked angrily.

"Sunset's not the same person she was before!" Pixel said back angrily. Thankfully, Dustin decided to break the argument.

“Ok, ok, let’s just cool our jets here.” Dustin said before looking to Luna, “I am so sorry about Pixel’s little outburst. It won’t happened again,” he then looks to Pixel, “Right Pixel?”

Pixel just grumbles, but nods.

"I can see why you might think that, but-" Sunset said, but Rainbow interrupted her.

"That's not what's happening!" Rainbow exclaimed, interrupting Sunset, "We saw all of this go down in the cafeteria too!"

"She ain’t lying!" Dustin agreed, "And we did our best to put a stop to it!" he added, trying to convince the two.

"Yes, but aren't your bands supposed to be part of the Musical Showcase?" Celestia asked. Rainbow and Dustin were both perplexed by the question as they looked around with their eyes.

"Yes," they said in unison.

"Perhaps you're all just worried that the Dazzlings will steal your spotlight," Luna said.

"Huh?" Dustin asked.

"The 'Dazzlings' ”, Applejack asked as well.
"It's the name of their musical group," Celestia said, "That's why they came by my office earlier today – to sign up for the Showcase," she added, "Even sang a little song to Vice Principal Luna and I."

"They did?" Applejack asked.

Shit! That’s not good!’ Dustin thought with worry.

"Yes," Celestia replied, "And we think having a Battle of the Bands instead is a marvelous idea," she said as both Luna's and her eyes flashed a bright green.

Later

Both groups were outside near the mirror statue, still figuring out what was happening.

"I can't believe they got to Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna too," Fluttershy said as a ladybug crawled onto her finger from the statue's pedestal.

"They've gotten to everybody," Rainbow said as she continued to juggle her soccer ball.

"Not everybody~", Pinkie said to everyone from atop the pedestal.

‘’Not me, however”, Allister said out of nowhere, startling the groups.

"Pinkie Pie's right," Applejack said, "We were there when the Dazzlings were singin' and we weren't affected," she explained, "It was like we were protected somehow."

“Not me though. Trust me, they’ve tried.” Allister said out of nowhere, startling the groups. They turn to see Allister.

“Jesus Fuck, Al! You gotta stop doing that!” Dustin said, taking breaths to calm himself.

"I hypothesize that the reason you ladies weren’t affected because of the magic that's still inside of all of you," Allister said.

“But that doesn't explain why you, me and Pixel aren't affected at all…" Dustin thought about that.

"Regardless, we should take them down!" Rainbow exclaimed as she balanced the ball on her head, It's not like we haven't tangled with dark magic before and totally whooped its sorry butt!" she said as she caught the ball with her hand, realizing that Sunset was there, "Uh, no offense," she apologized.

"None taken… Again…" Sunset said with a sigh.

"But that was when Twilight was here," Fluttershy mentioned, "There may be some kind of magic inside us, but it only comes out when we play music," she continued as the ladybug on her finger flew off, "I sure don't know how to use it to... whoop anybody's butt."

"If only we could get a message to Twilight," she said as she continued to paint her nails, making sure they were perfect, "Maybe she could tell us how to break the spell the Dazzlings have cast on our friends."

"Well, that's not gonna happen," Rainbow said bluntly as she threw the soccer ball at the mirror, "The portal's closed." The ball soared over Rarity's head, bouncing off the mirror as she gasped a little, almost hit. She then gasped again as she looked back to see that she had accidentally rubbed the polish over her arm while the ball was caught by Rainbow.

"And I get the feeling they don't exactly have cell phones where she's from," Rainbow said. At the mention of that, Sunset began to ponder something, scratching her cheek.

"I may have an idea how we can get in touch with Princess Twilight!" she said excitedly as she raced back into the school, with everyone else in tow. Back inside the school, she opened up her locker, rustling through an old cardboard box filled with books and papers. She then pulled out a dusty old book with a red and yellow sun symbol upon the cover.

"When I was Princess Celestia's student back in Equestria, she gave me this," Sunset said, scraping some of the dust off, "Even after I abandoned my studies, I held onto it. Deep down, I guess I knew I was making a big mistake, and I wanted to still have a way to reach out to her," she explained as she flipped through the pages, turning to blank ones, "Maybe it still works."

"That's a book, darling," Rarity noted, "What do you mean, 'maybe still works'?" she asked.

"It used to be that if I wrote something here, it would appear in the pages of a book back in Princess Celestia's library," Sunset explained, "I get a message to her, then she could get a message to Twilight."

"Cool!" Dustin exclaimed, "It's like sending e-mails or text messages!"

"So what are you waiting for?" Rainbow asked as she held a pen over Sunset, "Get to writing!" She then took the pen, nervously looking at it before setting it on the blank page. She sighed as she held the pen.

"Been a long time since I've written these words.’Dear Princess Celestia...'" Sunset wrote.

While they weren’t looking, Sonata was observing the whole thing. She still had thought about what Dustin said earlier, and needless to say, she was having an internal struggle. On one hand, Sonata wanted to regain her power, but on the other hand, she has to cause so much conflict to get it.