• Published 20th Aug 2020
  • 326 Views, 17 Comments

South of Somewhere - The Red Parade

  • ...
5
 17
 326

Escape

“Come on, Daring. Trust me. This might be the only chance we ever get!”

Daring glanced at the door, as if any second Wind Rider would come barging in. “Rainbow, this is ridiculous!” she hissed.

Rainbow tugged on her shirt sleeve, holding her in that steely-eyed gaze she always seemed to have. “Come on, Daring! Don’t you want out of this? Aren’t you tired of it?”

Daring pulled away, trotting over to her bunk. “Maybe I am, but what do you think’s going to happen? You think they’ll just let you walk away?”

“Who cares? You think they’ll catch us?” Rainbow floated over, dropping her voice to a whisper. “Have you seen how big the south is? There are millions of places to hide. They’ll never catch us!”

“Shut up!” Daring hissed, holding up a hoof. From outside their door, the two could hear the clopping hooves of a sentry passing by.

“Look,” she continued, facing Rainbow. “If Wind so much as hears a whisper of you deserting he’s going to skin you alive. Think of what he’ll do if you actually try and do it!”

Rainbow scoffed. “Come on, Daring. We have to make a stand and put up a fight against them. This life isn’t what either of us wanted!”

“But it’s what we signed up for,” Daring grumbled, lowering her head. “Because we didn’t have a chance. And I still don’t think we have one now. Even if you get out there, what then? You think anyone’s going to hire some random pegasi from Cloudsdale? Especially when the Second Division comes for you?”

Rainbow huffed, slamming a hoof to her forehead. “You really want to stay here for the rest of your life?”

“That’s not what I’m saying! I’m saying we don’t have a choice, Rainbow.” Her ears drooped as she spoke. “I want out as much as you do, but… I can’t. I can’t leave it all behind like that.”

Rainbow’s glare softened. “I… I get it. Sorry, I know it’s a lot to ask. I just… I can’t stay here anymore, Daring. I can’t take it.” She slowly sank down to the floor, falling on her haunches. “I can’t sit here and watch as Wind Rider sits there and beats us. I want out, but I want to take you guys with me.”

Daring sighed, glancing at the door again. “Rainbow… I don’t know how you can possibly save everyone. But if you could, I don’t think you could do it from here.”

Rainbow looked up at her, confused. “What are you saying?”

“I’m saying… I’m saying that you’re probably the best bet to get away, Rainbow. You’re fast, strong, you know how to fight… For me? I’d be dead the minute I left Cloudsdale. But I think you’ve got a chance,” Daring said, offering her a smile.

“So… you’re saying that…” Rainbow trailed off, eyes widening.

“I’m saying that if you do, don’t forget us,” Daring said, putting a hoof on her shoulder.

Rainbow cracked a smile. “I never will, Daring. You’ve got my word on that.”