• Published 20th Aug 2020
  • 326 Views, 17 Comments

South of Somewhere - The Red Parade

  • ...
5
 17
 326

Brave

“Loyal.”

Daring blinked, glancing at Wind Rider. “Sir?”

“That was the word your sergeant used to describe the deserter,” Wind Rider said. “Loyal.” He shook his head and chuckled. “And here I was thinking she was a good judge of character.”

Daring shrugged. “Uh, I don’t know, sir.”

“Of course you don’t.” He gestured downwards, towards a cloud, and the two descended.

Wind Rider let out a measured sigh as he gazed at Daring. The mare dropped her eyes and kicked at the cloud below them.

“You knew the traitor quite well, did you not?” he asked, gazing idly at the mare in front of him.

“Yes, sir,” Daring said, biting back her fear and looking Wind in the eye.

Rainbow Dash had always intrigued her. She was never afraid to stand up to her superiors, and often encouraged others to do the same. And no matter how many times they’d beat her and punish her for it, she’d always come back for more.

If Rainbow Dash could be brave… maybe she could too.

“Then tell me, Private. Why did you stand back and let this happen?” Wind Rider continued.

“All due respect, sir, she didn’t exactly tell us what she was planning to do,” Daring replied shakily.

Wind Rider narrowed his eyes at her. “I find that hard to believe.”

“Well, sir, it’s the truth.”

“The truth? The truth?!” Wind Rider lunged at her, seizing her by the collar and dragging her to the cloud’s edge.

Wind wrapped his hooves around her neck, eyes burning with a barely masked fury.

“Do you know what we do to liars private?” he hissed.

Daring didn’t answer, glaring right back and gasping for breath as she struggled in his grip.
Wind closed his eyes and hissed in annoyance, releasing his grip.

Daring plunged a few feet before she flared out her wings and caught herself, gasping for breath.

“Don’t you ever talk back to me again,” he snapped before hopping into the air with a grunt. “Let’s go.”

He set off again, following the distant trail below them. Daring rubbed her neck angrily, staring after him with a barely masked bitterness. She shook it off and followed him, wondering once again if Rainbow had the right idea.