• Published 20th Aug 2020
  • 326 Views, 17 Comments

South of Somewhere - The Red Parade

  • ...
5
 17
 326

Freedom is a Wonderful Thing

The town of Appleoosa carried with a strange sort of charm, one that Rainbow had a hard time placing. It made her nostalgic for something she had never experienced. Perhaps it was the painted wooden houses or the dusty paved roads, or the way the townsponies dressed and spoke. Whatever it was, it was almost enough to distract her from Applejack’s previous conversation.

“And that right there’s the Salt Lick, only waternin’ hole in town,” Applejack said, pointing out a well-worn building on their right. “If you’re ever lookin’ for somepony on a Friday night, chances are they’re there.”

Rainbow nodded, her head overwhelmed with street names and directions. “Uh… how much bigger is this town?”

“Don’t sweat it, sugarcube,” Applejack said with a hearty chuckle. “We’re nearly there anyways.”


Rainbow just shrugged, keeping pace with Applejack. “Looks like you guys have got a pretty nice thing going on here.”

“You could say that,” Applejack replied.


Soon, they found themselves on the town’s outskirts, following a dirt path leading towards a virtual forest of apple trees. “Woah. You weren’t kidding,” Rainbow marvelled, taking in the endless expanse of trees that stretched far into the desert.

“Welcome to Sweet Apple Acres,” Applejack said, sweeping across the horizon with her hoof. “Feedin’ Equestria for as long as it stands.” She flicked her tail and continued onwards towards the farmhouse. “Come on now, nearly there.”

Rainbow nodded, taking after her new employer with ease. She quickly recalled everything Applejack had told her about and what she’d be doing. “So… you guys run this entire place by yourselves?”

Applejack nodded, adjusting her hat. “Eeyup. Just me and my brother most of the year. Occasionally we’ll hire out help when we need it, but it’s mostly just the two of us. We get family in to help out at times too, but we get by.”

Rainbow let out a low whistle. “That’s… pretty impressive.” She caught a fleeting glance from Applejack in the corner of her eye. Applejack quickly averted her gaze and tugged her hat lower over her face.

“Did you… did you say something?” Rainbow asked.

“Nnope!” Applejack promptly replied, picking up her pace a little bit. “Nothin’ at all.”

“Okay,” Rainbow muttered. She found herself sneaking glances at Applejack, suddenly realizing that there was something about Applejack that captivated her. But what, though? Is it just because she’s been so nice to me this whole time?

Rainbow glanced behind her, searching for any signs of a purser. No, she suddenly realized, it’s trust.

The Second Division had taught her that there was nopony she could trust outside of her brothers and sisters in the Division. But yet here she was, putting her full faith in a random pony she had just met.

But strangest of all… Rainbow wasn’t concerned about it. I trust her. But why?

Rainbow glanced over at Applejack again, as she focused her gaze on the farmhouse. It’s something about her, Rainbow mused. That just… draws me to her? Is that the right way to put it?

An odd heat flushed through her system, making her shudder. She wasn’t quite sure what she was feeling, but she didn’t like it.

“Anyways, here’s the farmhouse,” Applejack said, pulling Rainbow from her thoughts. She unhitched herself from the wagon, gently lowering it to the ground.

Rainbow took in the farmhouse in front of her. It was a decent size, constructed with wooden planks and nails. Its walls were weathered and its windows stained, but it was still standing. A testament to earth pony strength, perhaps.

“Come on in,” Applejack said with a wave, trotting up the creaky stairs and through the porch. Rainbow followed seconds later, gently pushing open the screen door. The hallway she entered into was cozy, with a faded red carpet beneath her hooves and dozens of framed photographs staring at her from the walls.

Rainbow padded through the room carefully, following Applejack to the dining room. “Here, have a seat,” Applejack said, pulling out one of the wooden chairs.

As she eased herself into the chair, Rainbow looked around the room again. The sun trickled in through the dusty brown curtains, bathing everything in its golden glow. Across from the table was a cabinet bearing some more family photos and what appeared to be empty plate holders.

All in all, everything seemed cozy, but Rainbow couldn’t shake the feeling that it felt somewhat… empty.

“So,” Applejack began, placing her hat on the table and sitting down across from Rainbow, “We’ve got a guest room upstairs you can use, right across from mine. It’s got a bathroom attached and a bed, too…. Er, hope it’s fine with you. I remember hearin’ peagsi like sleepin’ on clouds or somethin’.”

Rainbow waved her hoof dismissively. “I’ll manage.”

“Alright. It’s midday right now, so why don’t you get settled in and I can show you around the farm… better find my brother too,” Applejack said, getting up. “You need help finding your room?”

“Nah, I’m good,” Rainbow said, gathering her things again. “Thanks, though.”

“No problem,” Applejack said, heading for the front door. “I’ll be back soon.”

Rainbow nodded, slinging her small bag onto her back and exiting through the hallway. She made her way up a rickety staircase, passing more photos and framed memories, before coming into a hallway on the second floor.

She quickly navigated her way down the hall to the guest room as Applejack had instructed but hesitated. Instead, she went across from her designated room and gently pushed open the door to Applejack’s room.

The room was fairly dim, given that the curtain was drawn, but Rainbow was able to make out the forms of a bed, dresser, closet, and desk. The bed was tightly made, reminding her of the squared bunks at the Second Division barracks, and the closet door was shut.

The desk, however, seemed to be piled with folders and papers, in several large boxes. Squinting, Rainbow could make out the word ‘Financial Records’ scrawled across the side facing her. But other than that, the room seemed just as empty as the rest of the house.

Rainbow shrugged and shut the door, entering the guest room instead. The room was just as barren as the rest of the house, with an empty dresser, closet, bed, and desk. The layout, in fact, almost mirrored Applejack’s room completely.

She tossed her bag to the corner of the room and collapsed on the bed, grimacing a bit. Clouds were much softer than earth pony mattresses, but she didn’t think Applejack would take too kindly to her bringing a cloud into the house.

Rainbow sighed, crossing her forelegs behind her head and easing into her pillow. Naps were forbidden in the Second Division, but she always found a way. And now, with nopony around to stop her, Rainbow smiled as she closed her eyes.

Feels good to be free.