• Published 17th Aug 2020
  • 375 Views, 26 Comments

Hell's Belles - Silent Whisper



Sweetie Belle and Sugar Belle go on a whirlwind heist. It goes exactly as well as you'd expect.

  • ...
1
 26
 375

Unwelcome Guest

A strangled yelp was my only warning before a jolt of magic threw me bodily out of Carousel Boutique.

"For Celestia's sake, Sweetie Belle!" shrieked Rarity, hastily stepping forward to block the empty street’s view of Twilight, who was trying to regain her composure. "Knock first!"

"It's my home too, you know," I yelled back as the door slammed shut. "I should be able to go into the kitchen without walking… into… ugh, you can't even hear me now, can you?"

I glared at the door to our home for a few seconds, but no response came forth, so I sighed and headed towards Ponyville. This wasn't how I planned to start my morning, but whatever. It was clear that the shop wouldn't be open for a good long while, and once it did I doubted my sister would be willing to face me.

It was a quiet morning in Ponyville. The birds were singing the songs of spring, the marketplace was just getting set up, and the last strawberry glints of sunrise were fading from the wisps of clouds above. Altogether it was the sort of morning I would have wholeheartedly relished if I hadn't been forced into it.

I sighed again, with more feeling than the first time, clinging to the vain hope that somepony would notice my mood and ask what was wrong. Nopony did, of course. They were all too busy, and I supposed it was for the best. I wouldn't have been able to tell them much anyway. Princess Twilight Sparkle, Sole Ruler of Equestria, Element of Magic, etc., was supposed to be our little secret. Rarity certainly wasn't the Element of Honesty, and it was times like these that I understood why.

Grumbling to myself, I meandered towards the Apple family farm. Rarity could've at least tossed my saddlebags out with me, but nooo, that sort of convenience couldn't be spared for little sisters, could it? So instead of being one of Sugarcube Corner's first customers of the day, I got to see if either of my friends had an extra spot at their breakfast table.

Of course, Pinkie probably would've tossed me a muffin if I explained what happened, but Pinkie was the sort of pony Rarity hoped to keep her whole princess-sized secret from the most. It figured that the ponies most likely to spread the news were also the ones with free food.

On that note, I really hoped that it wasn't Applejack who would greet me at the door. The whole honesty thing was something Rarity was trying to keep at a minimum, which was strange, since it was Rarity who insisted that communication was the key to a healthy relationship, immediately followed by a similar understanding of what "acceptable formal attire" was. I’d once asked if that was from previous experience, and her lack of verbal answer was answer enough.

I perked up as I walked up the lane towards the farmhouse. Something smelled good. Something smelled pancake levels of good. Maybe Granny Smith was making her famous four-flavored flapjacks! Or maybe Apple Bloom was experimenting with "the chemistry of baking" again. I hadn't understood nearly a quarter of the words in Apple Bloom's explanation of the science behind it all, but Celestia above, that apple bread had been delicious.

I took a deep breath and knocked on the door before looking around. The morning sun glinted off of the dew-dampened leaves. A few bluebirds trilled to each other. Maybe the day wouldn't be so bad, I decided, if I could spend it with a friend.

Of course, I could be wrong, since nopony had answered the door. Was nopony home? I cocked an ear against the hoof-worn wood. Not a sound, not even a pancake sizzle. I pulled back and frowned at the door. It certainly smelled like somepony was awake, and it wasn't like the Apple family to keep somepony waiting.

I tried the doorknob, and was relieved to feel it turn without resistance. Maybe they'd just had to run and get something, and would be right back. At the very least, if everypony was asleep, I could grab a bit of cereal and leave them a note. Apple Bloom had always insisted I was like one of the family anyway.

Moving quietly, I stepped inside. The kitchen was warm, heavenly apple-and-cinnamon vapors wafting around my head. I glanced at the stove. The burner was off, but a plate was piled high with… oh heavens, those were pancakes! I moved to take a step closer when a brilliant flare of pale pink light filled my vision.

And for the second time that day, I found myself wrapped in magic and flying backwards out of a house.