• Published 26th Aug 2012
  • 818 Views, 4 Comments

The Legend of Midnight Hour - Stratocaster



The epic tale of an average pony and his not so average battle against a mysterious foe.

  • ...
 4
 818

Chapter 16: Midnight's Revelation

Chapter 16: Midnight's Revelation

“…hmm…apple…apple pie…clock…f- f- fire magic…wasn’t…lose you…”

Memories crossed his mind at a frantic rate. They were recent but he felt as though they happened years ago, more years than he had ever lived. He had not a single idea how he had fallen from consciousness in the first place, but he did not want to climb back. All he knew for sure was that his last memory before falling was too much to take and it happened too fast for his own comprehension. He also recalled his second to last memory not being as fast but was even more dreadful; this memory, whatever it was, caused him to fall so weak. With every ounce of willpower he had in his half sleeping state, he tried not to let himself wake up fearing that a new bad memory would torment him if he did. The more he thought about preventing himself, the closer he was to getting back to reality. He even whined softly as his senses gradually came back. The first thing he felt was being hot on the outside and cold on the inside; he sweated and shivered at the same time. He was lying on a soft flat surface and slightly rolling on his sides in torment. Now the only reminder of his deep sleep was the fact that his eyes were still sealed. It was too much for Midnight. He uttered a quiet yelp when he felt something touch his cheek. But his nerves settled once the touch felt warm and gentle. In an instant, the cold he had inside began to meld with the heat he felt outside; the heat and cold mixed together to create a comfortable warmth. After slowing down his breathing, he finally decided now was the time to open his scared eyes. Midnight’s vision was fuzzy and it took him some time to adjust to his surroundings. Wherever he was, it was bright and the air smelled of something strange and artificial; it was oddly silent. He noticed himself lying on his back on what felt like soft sheets with a blanket covering him. His sight began to recover and already he began to make out what was touching his cheek. To his left was a brightly colored form; it was pink with a hint of purple at the top. Suddenly, it began to look pony-like. At last, Midnight’s vision cleared up enough for him to see a familiar little pink Pegasus filly sitting beside him on the bed and smiling at him. Somehow, he started to feel safe again, that is until Cassiopeia wrapped her hooves around him tightly.

“Midnight! You’re back!” she cheered loudly.

It was a miracle. Midnight had woken up and his favorite little filly was there to greet him. He managed to find the strength to lift his left hoof and return her hug; he smiled with disbelief.

“I was so worried you wouldn’t wake up.” Cassiopeia said pulling away.

“Cassie,” uttered Midnight with a pause. “It’s so good to see you again.”

Then he turned his head to face forward. He saw that he was lying in a bed in what appeared to be a hospital room, with curtains and medical equipment around him. He looked at the open door in front of his bed to see somepony standing in it. It was the white lavender mare he had missed dearly staring at him with relieved silver eyes.

“Andromeda! Andromeda!” burst Cassiopeia. “Midnight’s back! Look! He’s okay!”

“I see him, Cassie,” replied Andromeda. “I’ve never been happier to see him.”

She walked into the room over to Midnight’s side and hugged him softly. They held their embrace for half a minute before she pulled away.

“You did it.” She said. “You really did it.”

“I couldn’t have without you in my head.” He grinned.

“Takeoff flew us over to the fortress to rescue you.” Andromeda continued. “When we arrived, we found you, Fry and Locust lying in a hall somewhere. Cassie was so scared, she ran over to try and wake you up. We took you back to Canterlot and put you in the hospital. You’ve been asleep for a whole day, and Cassie here never left your side.”

Midnight turned to the ecstatic sitting cutely next to him. “Thanks, Cassiopeia.” He said. She responded with a peck on his cheek. It was then that he noticed three more familiar faces standing in the doorway excited to see him. Noon, Marigold, and Takeoff stormed in cheering.

“Midnight, you’re okay!”

“Well look whose back in action!”

“Rise and shine, bro!”

Midnight turned to face his companions; he noticed that Noon was walking with a left front leg cast and a crutch. “Well now what happened to you?” he asked.

“Oh this?” replied Noon. “Don’t worry about it; just a little battle wound. But I should ask how you’re doing.”

“I’m just fine; especially since you’re all here.” He paused to consider something that he was missing. “Wait, where’s Stir Fry?”

All the ponies looked at each other before Marigold spoke. “I think you better come see for yourself.”

They helped Midnight climb off the bed and get to his hooves. Surprisingly, he managed to walk steadily without any strain. His friends led him out the door and into a long hallway. The numbered rooms and posted medical charts made it clear to him that this was definitely a hospital. They approached the door right across the hall from Midnight, who gulped as his friends opened it. He stepped inside slowly and saw what was lying on the bed.

“Midnight! You’re okay!”

Fry was lying covered in casts and bandages as he greeted Midnight elatedly. His right front hoof and left rear hoof were suspended by splints but nonetheless, he kept a happy composure. Midnight hurried over to his side and hugged him tightly.

“Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow! STOP!” yelped Fry in pain.

“Oops, sorry.” Midnight let go and shrugged. “How are you feeling?”

“Never better;” replied Fry still joyfully. “Even though that changeling blast made me lose all the feeling in my bones and my muscles are slowly painfully regaining mass and the doctor said there was a one in five hundred chance that I would survive, I feel alright!”

“I thought I lost you, pal.”

“I told you, Midnight, I have my methods.”

Midnight prepared for another hug but only made Fry cringe. Instead, he shook his friend’s hoof. The others entered and joined them.

“It’s good to have you back, Midnight.” Noon said.

“I was going to say the same for you.” He replied and the two brothers slapped each other’s hooves.

“Hey Midnight, there’s somepony else here to see you.” Takeoff interrupted.

Midnight turned to the door where Takeoff was gesturing. Marigold walked in leading somepony in. And there next to her was Princess Celestia herself. The majestic alicorn stepped up to the bedside to face Midnight. After a still silence, she spoke.

“I’m so glad to see you made it, Midnight.”

Before Midnight could bend down to bow to her, she grasped him in yet another hug. He felt her radiant royal energy against him and returned her embrace. He pulled away to talk to her.

“Princess Celestia, I can’t thank you enough for helping me with this task. I couldn’t have done it without you.”

“It was my honor, Midnight. And I think you’ll be happy to know that your plan worked. I arrived to the battle with your friends to make sure you came out safe. Once I got there, I saw Noon and the rest of the army cheering for my arrival and that the Workhorses were completely motionless. Locust’s spell had been broken, and it’s all thanks to you.”

“It wouldn’t be without my friends’ help. Wait, what happened to Locust anyhow?”

“We took him while he was unconscious and placed him in a cell in Canterlot castle until we can banish him back to the land of the changelings. By the way, Midnight, I would like to see you at the castle soon. There is something I would like to discuss with you.”

After the doctors gave him the okay to leave the hospital, Midnight went over to Canterlot Castle to meet the Princess alone. He experienced a bit of deja-vu walking back to the familiar palace and reflected on the day about a week ago when he first came to it. He felt silly for thinking that Celestia would summon him for punishment in the first place. As he walked through the castle, the guards and servants who once paid him no mind now bowed gratefully in his presence. It seemed that everypony was looking upon him as their hero. Midnight found the Princess waiting in her throne room as expected and she happily jumped right into discussion.

“It was a miracle you survived that time spell, Midnight.” She explained. “Locust’s magic has been drained from it making him forever weak. You’re lucky the same didn’t happen for you. Although I guess I shouldn’t be surprised with a unicorn of your magnitude. So tell me, how did the spell work out?”

“Well, it all happened so fast now that I think about it.” Midnight told her. “I’m not sure how far into the future the spell took me and Locust, but it didn’t seem that different from today. I think I was in Ponyville. Everything was so peaceful and serene like the Workhorses never existed.”

“That’s not too far from the truth. The fact that the future is peaceful means that your success was bound to happen. Now I know you were only there for a minute, but did you see anything significant in the future?”

“The only thing I saw was a mare who lived there. I had never seen her before, but I guess that was obvious since I was so far in the future. But there was something I just couldn’t shake about that pony. She just stared at me without saying anything. Before I could talk to her though, the spell sucked me and Locust back to the present. I know there was no way I could’ve known that mare, but something about her just seemed…familiar.”

“Well that’s exactly what I wanted to talk to you about. While you were away, I did some research on the spell you told me about. With some cross referencing, I found that the spell is called Future Generations. There’s something very fascinating about this spell, Midnight. Come look.”

Celestia led Midnight to one of the stained glass windows by her throne that seemed to portray some kind of story. Then, one of the figures on the mural caught Midnight’s eye. It was a depiction of a purple unicorn mare bearing a type of elemental jewel. He looked on in wonderment as he recognized the pony of interest.

“Can you tell me what the pony you saw looked like?” asked Celestia.

“She…looked just like this.” Midnight pointed to the picture of the purple mare.

“There’s something you should know about that spell you used, Midnight. Not only does it have the power to transport you to the future, but it also takes you to the time of your most magically powerful descendant. Once I learned this, I curiously did some divination on your future family tree. I was shocked to find out what pony would be this particular descendant of yours. You see, the prophecy on this window tells that the fabled Elements of Harmony will one day reemerge to save Equestria from the eternal darkness of Nightmare Moon. There are six ponies who will take on these elements, and this pony will lead them all with the Element of Magic. Midnight, what I’m trying to tell you is that this pony is your direct descendant. She will be one of the most powerful unicorns who ever lived, just like you.”

Midnight simply kept staring at the glyph of the purple mare unicorn that would one day take on his genes. He touched the picture on the window and turned to Celestia.

“So you’re saying that…this is my great, great, great, great, great, great, great, something great granddaughter?”

“Exactly, you must be so honored. Only a unicorn of your power could pass on the same magic that this mare will inherit.”

A long silence came from Midnight as he kept staring at the prophecy.

“Are you alright?” asked Celestia.

“…One day, Equestria will fall into chaos again. And one of my descendants will be there to save it…I guess that’s not bad for somepony who spends his nights on a roof fixing a clock.”

“Not bad at all.”

The two smiled at each other warmly. The Celestia left him alone for a while to stare at the prophecy of his grandchild with pride.

After about an hour, Midnight finally stepped out of the throne room. Celestia and a couple guards were standing next to a large metal box with a slot on a door. Before he could ask, he jumped as the infuriated head of Locust poked out from the slot.

“You think you have won, Midnight Hour?!” he growled. “You think this is the end?! Nopony is any match for the changeling race! Nopony can defeat us! Nopony!”

Midnight walked up to the mobile cell and faced the changeling firmly.

“I don’t think you understand how it works here in Equestria.” He said. “It’s what we do that makes us who we are. And what you did is disgraceful.”

“Locust, you are hereby banished back to the putrid realm from which you came.” Celestia scolded. “Your magic is now weak and you have no business here.”

“Just you wait, Midnight Hour!” snarled Locust. “This isn’t over! Soon in the future, Equestria will be met with the wrath of Queen Chrysalis herself! And I swear to you, she will bring punishment upon your descendants!”

Midnight felt power in his words, but showed no fear. “I’d like to see her try.”

“This isn’t over, Midnight! THIS ISN’T OVER!” Locust repeatedly hissed wildly as the guards wheeled his box out of the castle. It was the last anypony ever saw of the feared changeling lord. Then, Midnight noticed his friends walking in to greet him. Noon stepped up to him first.

“You’re a hero now, bro.” He said. “I thought you were a lot of things before, but I certainly didn’t expect this.”

“I can’t take all the credit.” Midnight replied. “After all, you’re my twin brother.”

They shook hooves and hugged one more time. Marigold joined Noon’s side.

“You know, I don’t care how much credit I deserve.” Noon continued. “As long as I get the girl in the end.”

Marigold kissed Noon on the cheek once again turning his face red. “Thank you for everything, Midnight.” She said.

Then, Takeoff approached pushing Fry in a wheelchair.

“That was some fancy flying out there, Takeoff.” Midnight told him.

“Well that is true.” He responded happily. “But I think you deserve the wings this time.”

Midnight turned to Fry.

“I guess I did my part, huh?” the injured pony said sheepishly.

“You did great, Fry. I’ll never forget that.”

Midnight then felt a hoof poke his side. He looked down at Cassiopeia who hugged him almost immediately.

“Thanks for the fireworks, Midnight.”

“Anything for the birthday filly.”

Finally, he turned to his favorite mare who was waiting for him over by a window. He walked over to Andromeda and faced her.

“I just want to say, you’ve been a very great friend of mine, throughout all this.” He said.

“I think we’re already past that.” She replied.

He cocked an eyebrow at her comment. But then his eyes widened as Andromeda held his head and kissed his lips with her eyes closed. She held this embrace for several seconds pressing her lips against his. Midnight’s face flushed with hot swelling redness. She finally pulled away and looked sincerely into his eyes.

“Midnight…I love you.” She said softly. “I know it’s only been a short time since we were just friends, but I can’t help at feeling this way for you. You saved my life, more than once, and you’ve never failed to amaze me in what you do. I just always feel so safe with you. I love you, Midnight! I want to be your mare!”

The thoughts within Midnight’s head buzzed around too fast for him to control. There was only one choice of action he felt necessary to take. So he grabbed Andromeda’s sides and kissed her back, holding it longer than the first time. After enjoying each other’s presence for half a minute, he pulled away and smiled.

“Not bad at all.”

...

The future looked up for Midnight Hour. All of Equestria rejoiced after the defeat of Locust and the Workhorse invasion, and everypony everywhere praised their unicorn hero. Soon, Princess Celestia held a massive award ceremony for him and his companions. Noon, Andromeda, Marigold, Fry, and Takeoff all received a Distinguished Pony medal from her; Cassiopeia earned a Junior Distinguished Pony award. As for Midnight, he was honored with a similar award and was knighted as an official savior of Equestria by decree of the Princess. This title included a gold tunic, a red cape, and an olive branch crown symbolizing his status as a hero. Before long, a marble statue was erected outside Canterlot Castle in his honor, which depicted him standing in a triumphant pose; a head bust of Noon was also made and put inside the castle. Eventually, Takeoff was made the head general of the first Equestrian air force while Stir Fry finally went on to become the head chef at Hors D’oeuvres; in fact, he became one of the most renowned chefs in Equestria and also took up studies in architecture. Cassiopeia would soon earn her cutie mark, which was the constellation that shared her name, and grow up to be a successful magic scholar. She even invented a spell, similar to the one that took Midnight to the future, only it took ponies to the past. Midnight and Andromeda quickly settled down as lovers; their wedding would be one of the biggest and most attended in Canterlot. Together, the couple raised a few foals while Noon and Marigold even had more of their own. The unicorns of these fillies and colts would carry on the twins’ magic power, just as Celestia predicted. Midnight became a living legend throughout Equestria and his tale would be told numerous times. As an official savior, he kept duty of watching over the safety of his land alongside the Princess. The battle against Locust and the Workhorses became a life changing experience for him. But after all that he had learned, after all he had done, after all the friends he made, after all the pain and agony he felt, after all the joy and relief he experienced, after all the struggle and triumph…Midnight Hour kept his post by the clock admiring the moon every night.