• Published 26th Aug 2012
  • 818 Views, 4 Comments

The Legend of Midnight Hour - Stratocaster



The epic tale of an average pony and his not so average battle against a mysterious foe.

  • ...
 4
 818

Chapter 13: Calling In The Cavalry

Chapter 13: Calling In The Cavalry

The fire had disappeared. Midnight kept his eyes sealed shut in fear of what he would open them up to. Nopony made a single peep after Philomena’s wall of flame had abruptly receded. For a split second, Midnight flashed open one eye which was all he needed to see that everything around him was completely dark. There was not a sound apart from the faint shaking of nervous hooves. Then he opened both his eyes and kept them open trying to identify where he was. But he couldn’t even see Noon, Andromeda or Cassiopeia next to him, although he could definitely feel their presence. Midnight dared not move; he considered the chance that he was standing at the edge of a cliff for all he knew. The phoenix seemed to have done something to transport the ponies to who knows where. Then, Midnight jumped at the sound of a large door creaking open behind him. Quivering, he slowly turned around, as light shone on his three companions making them at last visible. Sure enough, he saw a doorway illuminated by blinding light; a large blurry silhouette was standing before it. Once again, Midnight recognized a pony like shape. His instincts had somehow told him that was usually a bad thing. But then, just as he first laid eyes on the shadow, he heard an angelic female voice from it.

“Ugh, where are those darn lights? Hold on.”

Suddenly, the talking shadow emitted another smaller bright light which floated above Midnight’s head and stuck to an unseen ceiling. Immediately the entire room was finally illuminated thanks to the ball of light. After rubbing his eyes irritated, Midnight strained to look back at the mysterious figure in the doorway. His jaw dropped.

“Welcome back, Midnight. I’m so glad to see you’re all safe.” Princess Celestia smiled.

It was a sight for sore purple eyes. Midnight was back in Canterlot Castle. And Princess Celestia herself was there to greet him warmly. But the questions only grew. How did they get there? What happened while they were gone? Where were the Workhorses? Was Canterlot safe? Why were they back anyway? He knew all of this would be answered when he stepped out of the empty stone chamber and into the castle with the Princess. Midnight was elated to see her again; so much so, that he presented her with more overly dramatic groveling. Sincerely as ever, Celestia cheered him up and led him, Noon, Andromeda and a jumping Cassiopeia through the palace. It was as if the place had never been under attack. The hallowed walls and windows were perfectly intact and the city outside looked untouched. Celestia led the four into what appeared to be a royal lounge. And to add more to Midnight’s surprise, there were three more familiar faces sitting in velvet chairs. His friends he had left up in the cold were back as well peacefully drinking tea.

“Midnight, you’re okay!” greeted Marigold.

“Fry? Marigold? Takeoff?” exclaimed Midnight. “How did you guys get here?"

“We’re not really sure.” Fry answered. “We just remember seeing the Princess’s phoenix and the next thing we know, we’re here.”

“It was carrying a note from the Princess.” Takeoff added. “It said that you were safe and that we would be brought back to the castle. So we said goodbye to Kodiak and here we are.”

Midnight looked questioningly at Celestia. “You brought them back here?”

“Yes, Midnight,” she answered. “I sent Philomena with a magic enchantment that can transport ponies from anywhere in Equestria back to Canterlot. I told her to use it for both you and your friends.”

“But how did you know we were up there?” he asked.

“I received an anonymous tip saying that you were struggling through the snow trying to save your friends. I just had to help somehow. Besides, it was time you all came back. I have some important news. Why don’t the four of you sit down and have some tea?”

Immediately, Noon rushed by Midnight and plopped onto a velvet couch. “Oh, praise Celestia!” he said as he melted in relaxation. Midnight felt embarrassed of his brother but Celestia only chuckled.

“Uh Princess, could you tell us what time it is?” asked Andromeda as she sat in a chair.

“It’s about ten o’ clock in the morning.” She answered. “It’s hard to believe you all were just here less than a day ago.”

“I can’t believe it either.” Noon replied. “My sense of time is really messed up.”

“So Princess, what is it you wanted to tell us?” asked Midnight.

“I think you will all be excited to know that I have a plan to stop Locust for good. Midnight, there is no denying that you are able to destroy the Workhorses. But I think I know how others could be as well. Noon, I understand you are skilled in magic too.”

“Oh, uh, I don’t know about that really.” Noon said reluctantly. “There’s not that much that I know.”

“It’s not about how much you know, Noon,” sympathized Celestia. “It’s about what you can do. You may not be able to dismantle a Workhorse, but you are Midnight’s twin. Your magic is just as powerful as his.”

“Well, I appreciate you making me feel better, your majesty.” Noon humbled.

“It’s true, Noon!” cheered Cassiopeia. “I told you were just as amazing as Midnight.”

“And that is what makes you a valuable asset to this plan.” Celestia continued. “Unicorn twins are able to transmit each other’s magic. And with the ability you both share, this can be powerful enough to spread to other unicorns. Therefore, I think we have the necessity to create a magical army big enough to conquer the Workhorses.” Celestia’s words were starting to sound familiar to Midnight. “You see, when the machines stormed the city yesterday, my guards and I were able to hold them off since Locust had disappeared suddenly. He must have vanished up to the north where you were. After the battle, I received the message that you were in the north and the idea came with it. Locust has set up an outpost in the San Palomino desert where the Workhorses are being made. I have learned that he keeps the robots under control through a changeling spell that he maintains at all times. If we can find a way to seize Locust and stop that spell, the Workhorses will be useless. But there will definitely be many of them there, which is why I want Midnight and Noon to lead this army against them.”

“So let me get this straight,” said Noon. “If my bro and I channel our magic between us, then we’ll all be able to destroy the machines?”

“That’s the idea.” Celestia replied. “We just have to figure out how Midnight will cease Locust’s spell. If I’m right, he’ll have to destroy him entirely.”

“I don’t think it’ll be enough to destroy him, Princess.” Midnight told her. “It’s one thing to stop changeling magic but it’s another thing to take an actual changeling. He’s too powerful even for me.”

“Then what do you suggest to do to him?” asked Andromeda.

Midnight paused to consider this. If he couldn’t destroy Locust’s clock, what could he do? After dealing with a clock all his life, he thought he wouldn’t have trouble figuring this out. And then it came to him. There were a couple things that he had learned as a colt from his father, Dusk. While teaching him the ways of restarting the clock, Dusk told him about a powerful time spell that gave the user the ability to travel forward in time. Although he gave Midnight the proper magic words, he warned him to never use the spell as it would drain his energy to near death. Then, when Dusk taught him about changeling magic, he mentioned that their spells had a time limit that could last for years. The pieces were coming together in Midnight’s head. He wouldn’t have to kill Locust, he would just have to push him to his limit.

“There’s a spell that I learned a long time ago.” He finally said to the group. “It can transport a pony and anypony around them to sometime in the distant future; but only for a short minute. Here’s what I’m thinking. If I can get to Locust face to face, I can use the spell to send the both of us to the future. I learned from my father that changeling magic runs out after a certain amount of time. It could be a few years or it could be centuries. Either way, this spell should be enough to run out Locust’s spell on the Workhorses. All I need is that short minute in the future and all the machines will shutdown. I just hope I’ll be okay on the way back to present.”

“This spell seems awfully risky.” Celestia responded. “Do you remember how it goes?”

He paused to clear his memories again. “Yes, but the effects can hazardous to the user.”

“I think it’ll be safe enough for a pony of your ability.” Celestia encouraged.

“Midnight, are you sure about this?” asked Andromeda worried. “It sounds dangerous.”

“Yeah bro, we don’t want to lose you again like in the Crystal Mountains.” Noon added.

“Don’t worry about me.” Midnight replied. “I said it before and I’ll say it again, this is my burden.”

“No way bro, it’s mine too.” Noon smiled.

“Mine too.” Marigold added.

“Mine too.” Fry sat up.

“Same here, we haven’t been of much use to you, Midnight.” Takeoff said. “Princess, I have an idea, if I may. These Workhorses are tough flyers. So I suggest leading an armada of airships against any of them attacking from above. I will gladly volunteer for that job.”

“Are you sure you are up to this, Takeoff?” asked Celestia.

“Positive, I know friends in high places in the airship business. We can give a lift to some of the unicorns where they can take out any airborne robots. It’ll be the perfect air support.”

“Takeoff, that’s awfully noble of you.” Midnight said. “Are you sure you’re not just trying to show off?”

“Hilarious, Midnight, but I’m doing this to save your skin. You can count on me.”

“And you can count on me.” Fry assured. “I know I haven’t been much help for you and that I can’t really do much anyway. But I want to help you sneak into Locust’s fortress. I can’t be useless all the time.”

“Fry, you’ve been a loyal friend.” Midnight smiled. “There’s nothing useless about that.”

“Whatever happens, Midnight,” said Andromeda. “Cassie and I will be there for you to bail you out.” Cassiopeia nodded.

“And I’ll be there for you, Noon,” Marigold smiled at Midnight’s brother. “I guess I should return the favor for saving my life.”

Noon blushed and averted his eyes with a sheepish smile.

Midnight looked at everypony with his eyes almost tearing up. “You guys are too good to me. I’m glad to call you all my friends.”

“Friendship is a magical thing, Midnight.” Celestia said. “Now, why don’t we all eat?”

It was then that a royal guard opened a door leading to a long dinning room. Sitting upon the clothed table was enough breakfast food to feed all of Canterlot. Waffles, pancakes, buttered and jellied toast, hash browns, doughnuts, muffins, éclairs, croissants, baguettes, apple and orange juices, tea, coffee, hot cocoa, all crowded the tabletop. Stir Fry was nearly moved to tears.

“So hungry…too beautiful…for words!” he uttered.

The tired, aching, hungry ponies felt at home in Celestia’s custody. They joined her in the dinning hall for breakfast and stuffed themselves with just about everything on the table. She then led the group to the guest house where they were happy to see the streets empty of any robots or maniacal changelings this time. Celestia had her servants treat them to lunch and dinner throughout the day and they were given only the most comfortable accommodations in Canterlot. Despite the impending danger, it was paradise. Later after dinner, Midnight spoke to Celestia privately in her throne room. The two stared out a window at a sunset over the far horizon.

“You wanted to speak to me, Midnight?” she inquired.

“Princess, there was something that happened when we were hiding out in the cabin by Neighagra Falls.”

“Tell me about it.”

“Well, this might be strange to hear but, I was visited in the woods by Nightmare Moon.”

Celestia only nodded not seeming the least bit surprised. “I know. She’s the one who told me you were there.”

“You mean she talked to you?!”

“She still does. Occasionally, she’ll drop in just to mock me. But she also gives information on events in Equestria that I could not foresee. She’s told me about the first Workhorse you destroyed which brought you to my attention. Ironic, isn’t it? The most feared being in Equestria helped to stop a threat to this land. My sister may be misguided, but she can actually be useful sometimes.”

“She mentioned something else. She said that the only reason that I’m able to destroy the Workhorses is because of her. The moon creates destructive influence, and since I’ve been using its power for years I posses some of that power. I guess I’m not really that strong.”

“It is true that Luna has had some influence on your magic ability. But even if you weren’t able to destroy the machines, you would still be just as powerful. I told you that you have a gift. Your family’s magic is of the best I’ve ever seen. Your children, and your children’s children, will be lucky to inherit it from you.”

“So, do you still think I’ll be able to stop Locust?”

“I am more than confident of that. But the real question is do you think you can?”

Midnight stared for a moment then grinned at her. “I know I can. I know I will.”

She returned his smile. “You are a very brave and strong pony, Midnight. I am honored to call you my friend.” Celestia put her hoof on Midnight’s shoulder and continued to marvel the scenery with him.