• Published 18th Dec 2011
  • 1,049 Views, 17 Comments

Road to Riches - Makin' Cupcakes



Two ponies try to make a living in the tough slums of Trottingham.

  • ...
 17
 1,049

Chapter 2

Both of us were in a rush to get out of that building. A hundred bits, I thought, maybe we could get into the city after all these years.

Half-Pence and I waltzed out of the house, joy in our hearts, but then the mood sank once I saw the street.

I mean, it was the same street we've been crossing for 4 years now, but it could still make you feel like you just entered the haven of every criminal mind in all of Equestria. The overcrowded road was littered with trash and the homeless alike, but anypony there with this much money would be a pickpocket magnet.

"What are you waiting for?" Half-Pence was already across the street while I was letting the mood of it get to me.

"Sorry." I kind of meant it. I also wanted to thank her for breaking me out of that horrid trance.

"Just hurry it up, Silver." In case you didn't know, my name is Silver Tongue. Just like my name, my coat is a light gray. On my flank, my cutie mark is a hoof with 3 bits in the center. I could talk my way out of anything. There was a brand new loaf of bread in the nearby bakery, on sale for 8 bits. Thing is, I got her to stoop her price down to a measly 2 gold bits. And you thought Half-Pence was talented in getting money.

I followed my friend through the slums of the rough city. There were nearly mile-long lines to soup kitchens owned by the Princess in Canterlot. There were royal guards surrounding the place, just to make sure nopony snuck out of the place with an extra bowl. The punishment wasn't serious, but you were banned from that building for a month, so good luck finding a new district to find some food. You'll need it.

We were thinking the only thing we would see are these normal sights, but something just wasn't right.

And sure enough, down the road, there was something we hadn't seen in over a year.

"Do you see that?" I asked to Half-Pence.

"Yeah, why would he be here?" She sneered. "Isn't he too 'high-and-mighty' to even think of these people?"

It was Prince Blueblood, all the way from Canterlot. Why would he be here? I thought to myself, the only people that would care about this place are the people that call it home.

All the while, he was being bombarded with homeless mares with fillies at their sides. If it wasn't for the guard escort with him, somepony would be a rich swell.

The guards came our way, with Blueblood walking behind. At first, you would have thought you would be getting a one-way ticket out of the place, but instead, just came the gruff voice of the constable.

"Out of our way, peasant, or get thrown in the brig of the Canterlot Castle."

"Why are you in our town?" Half-Pence was furious when royalty walked into the slums, mostly because everypony was so paranoid of their little paradise being torn down by the hands of Celestia to build another amusement park like they had done in Fillydelphia.

"Official orders, now scram." The guard's face was turning red. That was an unusual sight, since they were supposed to be the well-known monotone robots that they were commonly accused to be. "And what's this?" He snatched at Half-Pence's saddlebag faster than she could react.

"Hey! That's mine!" she yelled.

"Not anymore," the smug guard snapped back, "you couldn't get this money without stealing it, so just be happy we aren't taking you in for stealing a poor man's life savings. Now get lost before you get hurt."

There was nothing we could do but just glare at the corrupted official. The pair of guards walked off with our treasure.

"I'm quite sorry," said Prince Blueblood, standing back from his escort. He reached into his elegant shirt pocket and grabbed a small coin purse. He tossed it over to me, but I was too amazed to grab it in time. It landed on the pavement and slid a few inches to my front hoof. I grabbed it with my teeth.

"Why would you care about us?" Half-Pence blurted.

"I couldn't just stand back and watch you get your money taken." He was kinder than the other relatives of the Princess that had come our way. "I will make sure that Princess Celestia deducts the stolen money from his paycheck. How many bits were in that bag anyway?"

Half-Pence spoke up as quick as lightning, "150 bits, sir."

"It was 120 bits," I confessed. I couldn't possibly steal from this man. Half-Pence punched my shoulder, but I really didn't notice.

"Again, apologies." Blueblood had scampered off to the guards which had left him.