• Published 25th Aug 2012
  • 3,558 Views, 116 Comments

Benevolence in Black - LucidTech



Equestria, zombies, hero, doctor, plague, Twilight wish. There ya go, all you need to know.

  • ...
13
 116
 3,558

Behind the mask

“I had just arrived in the hospital, knowing that unless the wound could be treated I was not going to last very much longer. I was using my magic to slow the progress of the infection but I was unable to cure it away. I had been running away from the plague-ridden for a week when he arrived, he found me in a supply closet.

“When I woke up my leg was gone.” Trixie glanced toward her stump of a limb for a moment before returning to telling her story. “And then I saw him by the door with a candle. So I assumed the worst. I remember,vaguely, yelling at him, asking him what he had done to me. But, of course, he didn’t answer me.”

“I got louder, more angry. He seemed to be pointing at me but he still wasn’t saying anything. So I got mad, I ripped his mask from his face.”

“I’m sorry to interrupt, Trixie, but are you sure that it’s okay if I hear this? I don’t think that he would wear that mask without a reason.” Twilight’s face detailed not only worry but a degree of fear as well.

“Yes, well, he doesn’t wear it for aesthetics.” Twilight raised an eyebrow at this but nodded for the showmare to continue her story. “When the mask left his face, he froze, he didn’t move. Then he dropped to the ground and began to wildly search for his mask. I only got the briefest glance of his face while he floundered for it.”

“It was curved weird but I’m willing to bet that that is his race’s original facial structure. The stitches that run across his face though, not so much.”

“Wait, I thought you said that it wasn’t for looks.”

“And it isn’t. That’s what I thought though when I saw it. Until his hand patted the mask, multiple times, but he didn’t pick it up.”

“You mean he’s blind without it?”

“And deaf. I tried to tell him he had his hand on the mask but he didn’t respond.”

“Oh...” Twilight’s gaze moved back to the door before looking toward Trixie again. “I see.” Silence fell in the room, leaving Twilight to her thoughts while Trixie turned her gaze back toward the collection of candles.

“Twilight!” The childish sound pierced through the air and the librarian jerked to her legs. The call came once again and Twilight rushed to the room, desperate to answer the call of the small dragon assistant. As she burst into the door however she was greeted with quite an odd sight.

Spike was curled into the crook of Lucid’s arm. And Lucid, for his part, was letting the sleepy dragon claw the scarf that was wrapped around his neck. Twilight looked at the duo with a confused expression until her attention was grabbed by a paper being held in front of her face.

Twilight looked over the sheet for a moment before calling to the unicorn in the other room. “Apparently we’re going to the hospital.” She read some more from the paper, then continued her announcement. “Lucid isolated the ingredients he needs for his cure. We just need to go shopping, then we can start curing the elements.”

Trixie limped into the room and raised an eyebrow as she saw the man caring for the reptilian child. “Well, it’s about time.”