• Published 10th Nov 2020
  • 746 Views, 22 Comments

The Amazing Spider-Blitz: The High School Chronicles - KingYakko5991



Brilliant student and social outcast Lighting Blitz discovers that he has amazing powers and abilities like no one has ever seen. But he soon learns that with these great powers must also come a great responsibility...

  • ...
2
 22
 746

Night of the Prowler

Lightning decided to take the subway into the city. He wasn't sure how much efficient the formula was and didn't see any point in using it all up quickly. After arriving into the city, he got off the train and found a quick place to change into his costume. But as he went to head above ground, he got the sense that something wasn't right. He looked down one of the dark tunnels, and the eerie feeling began to grow stronger. Checking to make sure nobody was watching, he tightened his backpack then hopped down onto the track to go investigate. He had made his way into the tunnel as a light started approaching toward quickly from down the tunnel. "What the..." Realizing that the light was from an approaching train, Lightning quickly jumped up and stuck to the ceiling as the train rushed underneath him. "Yeah, let's not do that again," he said to himself, his heart pounding. He stayed on the ceiling and began to crawl deeper into the tunnel.

Lightning eventually came across a slightly larger area in the tunnel where he found a doorway to the side. Going through revealed an abandoned underground construction site. Realizing there were two people discussing something in the center, Lightning took cover near some scaffolding and tried his best to see if he could hear what they were saying. However, he had a difficult time doing so and tried to climb higher to get a better view and potentially hear better. Luckily, the two people were facing away from him. There were two men at a table, looking at blueprints or plans of some sort. The man on the right seemed like an average person, maybe a bit older due to his visible hair thinning. But the man on the left was a completely different story. He was wearing a costume or suit of some sort, with the most notable feature being a long draping purple cape. Lightning could also see some green on the sleeves. In front of him on the table lay a purple mask with permanently scowling white eyes. The man was also wearing gloves or gauntlets of some kind, with seemingly retractable claws at the fingertips.

I think I stumbled on some guys planning their trip to Comic-Con, Lightning thought to himself. Better get the hell out of here before the notice. But as he attempted to climb down, he accidentally broke part of the scaffolding, causing the metal bar to collide with the concrete ground with a loud clang. The two men immediately turned to face the source of the noise and spotted Lightning. "Get that guy," the man on the right said flatly. The man on the left grabbed the mask off the desk and hastily made his way towards Lightning.

"Uh-oh," Lightning said aloud as he jumped from his position on top the scaffolding. He ran out the door and quickly made his way down the subway tunnel, not daring to look back at what was probably chasing him. While in the larger portion of the tunnel, he hopped to a different track and continued running, hoping to lose whatever it was that was chasing him. A man? A machine? A... "thing?" Whatever it was, he needed to get away from it. And fast. Maybe I should start naming these guys. After all, they've all got to have names, right? Lightning was approaching the end of a tunnel, reaching an opening that would let him get off of the track when he realized another train was approaching. Not wanting to face what was chasing him, he began to run even faster and went towards the train to face it head on. He jumped from the track onto the boarding area, just being missed by the train. Not yet feeling safe however, he then turned towards the track going in the opposite direction and leapt across in front of another approaching train. After defying death twice, he then made his way to the surface and found a block to take a breather. I think I lost him, he thought to himself. Wow, I was running pretty fast back there. Maybe I do have a bit of super speed after all...

Unfortunately, Lightning didn't get much time to rest. Before he knew it, the caped menace was approaching him swiftly on a... motorcycle? "Oh come on!" he said aloud. "That's cheating!" Lightning headed towards the nearest alley. He quickly took off his backpack and webbed it to the nearest wall. "I'll come back for you! Promise!" He called out to the inanimate object. He then began to climb the wall as quickly as possible, hoping that he wouldn't be followed. Hastily making it to the top of the building, he quickly made his way to the opposite edge and looked down. "Long fall from here..." He quickly looked back to see that nothing was behind him, but didn't want to take his chances. "Tally-ho..." he whispered as he leaped off the building, now free falling head first towards the streets below. He quickly did his best to aim one of the web shooters on his wrists at a nearby building and thwipped out a web. It attached to a building and he grabbed onto it with both hands, swinging through the city and just barely missing the ground by mere inches. He released as he reached the apex of the swing, flying high into the sky. "Woooooo hoooo!" he cheered, flailing his arms around as he prepared for another swing. After a bit, he began to form a bit of a rhythm. "This sure beats taking the subway!" he called out.

But while Lightning was mid swing, something jumped out at him from one building, grabbing him from out of the air and straight into another building. Note to self, Lightning thought to himself, Don't scream out loud while you're running away from pursuers. Lightning stood up to see that the purple caped menace had caught up to him. It did not hesitate to lung at Lightning and began attacking. However, he managed to ward off every attack. "Hey are you mad at me? I feel like you're mad at me!" Lightning called out. The caped menace managed to grab Lightning by the neck with one of his gauntlets and slowly brought him to his masked face, those menacing white, now glowing eyes scowling straight into Lightning's soul.

"You only get one warning, kid," a deep and distorted voice spoke from underneath the mask. "You interfere with our work again, and I'll kill you dead. You understand?"

"Yeah, I'll try to keep that in mind," Lightning struggled to quip through the gauntlet's grip. "Might need to write that one down, you got a pen?" The caped menace responded with one swift and powerful movement, throwing Lightning into the ground beneath them and sending him through several floors of the building. Lightning opened his eyes to see those menacing white eyes prowling several layers above before walking off. He let out a sigh of relief before resting his head back against the rubble beneath him. "That was intense," he said to himself. Suddenly, his phone began to ring from inside his pocket. He slowly pulled it out and answered on seeing who was calling. "Hey Aunt Hay, what's up? Eggs? Organic? Yeah, got it. See you when I get back." He then hung up the phone and put his head back yet again. "Just a few more minutes..."

...

The rest of the night went by pretty quickly, and before he knew it, Lightning found himself waking up the next day to get ready for school. Huh, no soreness from last night, he thought. That's a bit of a surprise. After a quick breakfast, Lightning prepared to head out the door. But when he opened it, he was met by Sunset Shimmer who had her hand raised to knock. Her eyes went wide with surprise to see the door open suddenly but then began to water as she saw her best friend at the door. "Hey, Sunset, wh-" Lightning couldn't even finish his sentence before Sunset had wrapped her arms around him began to cry. "Woah," he said, trying to comfort the now crying girl in his arms. "Are you alright Sunset? What's wrong?"

"I'm so sorry," Sunset managed through sobs. "I heard about everything, and I really wanted to be there for you, but I was just so sick and I couldn't-"

"Hey, it's okay," Lightning said, unsure of what to say. He had never seen Sunset like this before, but decided it may be best to try to reassure her. "I'm fine Sunset, really. It means a lot to me that you care."

"Really?" Sunset asked, wiping tears from her eyes. Lightning simply replied with a nod and a slight smile.

"Come on," he said. "We've got a bus to catch." And with that, the two friends made their way over to their bus stop to prepare for the school day.

The majority of the day went by pretty quickly, and before Lightning realized, it was lunch time already. He raised an eyebrow as his spider-sense started to tingle and looked up to see a bunch of girls approaching his table. Recognizing a few of them as Sunset's friends, he began to feel nervous as they started sitting at his table. "Hi Lightning," A cheery Sunset said as she sat down to his right. "We're going to be sitting with you for lunch! I hope you don't mind."

"O-oh, I uh, well..." Lightning stuttered. But before he could form any words, he sensed something from behind and saw Rarity standing to his left.

"Hello, darling," she said with a small smile and wave. "Is this seat taken?" she asked, pointing the seat to Lightning's left. Still completely incapable of forming words, he just shook his head "no" as his cheeks began to warm up. Rarity giggled as she proceeded to take the seat. Before he knew it, Lightning looked around to see that his table was full with all of Sunset's friends, all looking at him.

"Everyone," Sunset started. "This is Lightning!" Lightning felt his nerves shoot through the roof as he saw the four unfamiliar faces looking at him.

"Uh," he stuttered. "H-hi everyone... M-my n-name's... Lightning." He managed softly, unintentionally earning a few laughs from the table.

"You're funny!" said a bouncy pink girl from across the table. Pinkie Pie, Lightning had recognized her from his chemistry class. She was a character and a half to say the least. The other girls introduced themselves as Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy. She really lives up to her name, Lightning thought, barely able to hear her introduce herself. After the girls had all introduced themselves, Lightning began to feel more comfortable around them. However, it wasn't long before Rainbow Dash had taken lead of the conversation,

"Hey, did you guys here about what happened downtown last night?" She looked around but nobody seemed to have any idea what she was talking about. Lightning had an idea, but decided to keep quiet and see where she was going with it. "Well apparently this nutcase in a Halloween costume has been going around the city," she continued. She pulled up a picture on her phone to show everyone. Sure enough, Lightning recognized the purple caped menaced that chased him around the city the previous night. "They call him the Prowler," she said. Lightning looked long and hard at the picture, a serious expression forming on his face. The girls exchanged faces of horror and concern as Rainbow Dash began to describe some of the robberies and destruction of property that this so called Prowler has caused.

"Lightning, what do you think that thing is?" Sunset asked, momentarily breaking Lightning from his trance. He turned to face Sunset, then looked back at the picture.

"I don't know," he said slowly, a subtle hint of determination in his voice. "But whatever it is, somebody has got to stop it..."

Author's Note:

I am not dead. That's it. That's the note.

No but in all seriousness, it's good to be back. At least I think I'm back. *pat pat* Yup. That's my kneecap alright. Jokes aside though, real life stuff has been time consuming so getting this one out has been a bit of a challenge. Hopefully it doesn't feel to disjointed or something as a result of that. But either way, here we are at the end of another chap. Any and all feedback is appreciated and see you at the end of the next. :twilightsmile: sleppy time lul