• Published 10th Nov 2020
  • 740 Views, 22 Comments

The Amazing Spider-Blitz: The High School Chronicles - KingYakko5991



Brilliant student and social outcast Lighting Blitz discovers that he has amazing powers and abilities like no one has ever seen. But he soon learns that with these great powers must also come a great responsibility...

  • ...
2
 22
 740

With Great Power

Lightning had spent the entirety of Saturday in his room, doing limited tests of his newfound powers. He had come to the conclusion that he could climb walls, had superhuman strength, and a precognitive reflex, which he nicknamed his "spider-sense." It was now Sunday morning, and he had brought the morning paper up to his room, to look through and see if he could find any place to further tests his powers. There was only so much he could do at home without alerting his aunt and uncle, and the he did not want to do. Although he told Sunset what happened with his glasses and the drawer that Friday morning, he still hadn't told her or anyone else about actually having powers, and he planned to keep it that way. Who knows what would happen if word about that got out.

As he flipped through the paper, Lightning had found something that had caught his eye. An ad offering a $3,000 prize at an amateur wrestling league for anyone who could take down the fan favorite Joseph "Crusher" Hogan. Bingo! And the event is later this evening too! Lightning thought to himself. But wait, I should probably wear a disguise, or a costume. Wouldn't want anyone to recognize me. He looked around his room for anything he could wear to hide his identity. He finally settled on a red sweater and some gray sweatpants. To cover his face, he just pulled out a red balaclava mask and grabbed some old workout gloves to put on his hands. He quickly put on the makeshift outfit and took a look at himself in the mirror. Looks pretty crappy, but at least nobody will recognize me. He then changed back into his normal clothes and packed the outfit into a backpack and prepared to head out.

As Lightning was creating his costume upstairs, his aunt and uncle were having a conversation downstairs. "I don't know, Hay," Growen started. "Maybe he's just too embarrassed to talk to me, or perhaps I'm just too embarrassed to talk to him about it."

"Perhaps you should give him some time to open up, dear" Hay replied. "He's still finding who he is and what his place in this world is."

"Maybe you're right, Hay." Growen thought for a moment. "But this doesn't seem like the Lightning we know. He's-" but before he could finish, Lightning had come down the stairs with his backpack on his back.

"Hey Aunt Hay, hey Uncle Growen." He greeted them. "I'm gonna head out to the library for some studying." He figured it'd probably be best not to tell them where he was really headed. Besides, the library was really close to where he was going anyway.

"Oh, I'll drive you there then!" Uncle Growen immediately jumped in, seeing the opportunity to talk to Lightning about what was going on with him lately.

"Oh that's okay Uncle Growen, I'll take the subway." Lightning replied.

"No, come on I insist. I need the exercise." As Uncle Growen rushed Lightning out the door, he turned around and gave Aunt Hay a wink and a thumbs up. Hay couldn't help but smile and shake her head slightly at her husband's antics. Lightning and Uncle Growen got into the car and Growen drove them to downtown Canterlot, where the library was located.

"Alright Uncle Growen," Lightning started. "Thanks for the ride. I'll see you l-"

"Now hold on just a second there, buster," Uncle Growen cut in. "We need to talk for a minute."

"Oh, we can talk later."

"Or we could talk right now, if you'd let me. Listen Lightning," Growen began to speak slowly, carefully thinking about his words. "You're aunt and have I been worrying about you lately. We don't know what's going on with you, son."

"What do you mean? I'm fine, Uncle Growen."

"It's like we don't know who you are anymore. None of this seems like you, Lightning. I mean, you've skimped out on chores, you've started doing those weird experiments up in your room, you've skipped classes and started fights at school?"

"Hey," Lightning cut in. "I didn't start that fight, I told you guys that."

"Well you sure as hell finished it," Growen replied. "I know you're going through a lot these years as your body changes, trust me I went through the exact same thing when I was your age."

"No, not the exact same thing..." Lightning commented.

"Listen Lightning," his uncle continued. "These are the years when a man changes into the man he's going to be for the rest of his life. I just don't want to see you change for the worse. Now, this Flash guy? I'm sure he deserved what happened to him. But just because you can beat him up doesn't give you the right to. Remember Lightning, with great power comes great responsibility." Those last few words hung in the air for a few moments. But suddenly, Lightning's expression had become significantly more enraged.

"Is that what this is all about?" He asked. "Do you think I'm going to turn into some sort of criminal?"

"Well, Lightning that's not what I mea-"

"I'll fine, Uncle Growen! If there's a problem, I'll figure it out! Please, there's no reason for you guys to have to worry about me."

Growen let out a sigh before continuing. "I know Lightning, I understand that. Your aunt and I are just concerned about all these recent things is all. I just want you to understand that. I don't mean to lecture, and I don't mean to preach. And I know I'm not your father-"

"Then please! Stop pretending to be!" Lightning exclaimed. Uncle Growen had remained silent for a moment or two. Lightning could feel his anger and frustration melt as he saw the hurt expression on his uncle's face.

"Right," Growen said softly. "I'll see you here at 10." Lightning got out of the car and watched as his uncle drove off, regretting everything that had just happened. But as the car went around the corner, he looked towards the building where he was headed. I can always just apologize to him later, he thought to himself. Right now, I have more important matters to attend to. With that in mind, Lightning headed towards the address of the wrestling building and made his way inside. Once in, he found a bathroom to make a quick costume change in. Trying his best to ignore the people laughing at his outfit, he made his way over to the registration desk.

"This ain't no lightweight division, small fry," the woman at the registration desk said to Lightning. "Next!"

"No really, sign me up!" Lightning pleaded.

"Alright," the woman hesitated. "And you do understand that the Canterlot Wrestling Association is not responsible for any injuries that you may, and most likely will, sustain while participating in this event?"

"Yes!" Lightning replied enthusiastically.

The woman let out a sigh. "Alright. Entrance is over to your right. May God be with you." And with that, he was registered! Lightning made his way over to the entrance, preparing himself for whatever was behind the curtain. On the other side, the announcer for the event had just received word that the next contestant for the event was ready.

"Allllllright wrestling fans!" he exclaimed, getting the crowd excited for what was to come. "Are you ready for more??" The crowd responded with uproarious applause. The announcer then began to back his way towards the curtain. "This next victim will attempt to take on the almighty Crusher, your current CWA champion! If he manages to survive three minutes with the Defiant Titan, a sum of $3,000 will be paid to..." At reaching the curtain, the announcer realized he had not yet learned the new contestant's name. "What's your name, kid?" He whispered to the waiting Lightning standing on the other side of the curtain.

"The Freakish Web-Crawler!" Lightning replied.

"That's it?" The announcer asked in disbelief. "That's the best you've got?"

"Yeah!" Lightning exclaimed, not sure what was wrong with the name.

"Oh man, that sucks!" The announcer muttered to himself. He then turned his attention back to the crowd. "The sum of $3,000 will be paid to... The wall climbing, the web slinging, the Amazing Spider-Man!" As the announcer said this, the curtain was pulled upward, revealing a confused Lightning. He immediately turned to someone behind him.

"My name is the Freakish-Web-Crawler!" he said to the man controlling the reveal curtain.

"I don't care," the man replied. "Get the hell out there!"

"No, he got my name wrong! It's the Freakish Web-" but before he could finish his protest, Lightning was being shoved out into the arena.

"I said get your ass out there, you moron!" The man called out as Lighting was forced out into the arena. As he made his way towards the ring, he looked around seeing the large crowd, all gathered around to cheer for his opponent. As he got closer to the arena, many people in the crowd booed him and some even had the audacity to throw various food item. Lightning entered the ring and looked across at his opponent, the Crusher. He was a towering, muscular man, easily doubling Lighting in sheer size. This might have been a mistake, he thought to himself. But before he could have any real second thoughts, a cage began to lower and assemble itself around the ring. The crowd went ballistic seeing this happen.

"Please lock the cage into place at this time," the announcer said.

"Hey!" Lightning exclaimed, quickly running to the corner of the ring. He peered over the ropes at the men locking the cage into place. "Hey! Listen! This must be some kind of mistake, I didn't sign up for a cage match!"

"Hey Slim Jim!" a booming voice called out from behind. Lightning slowly turned around, realizing that it was Crusher speaking to him. "You're going nowhere!" He exclaimed, gesturing to the now locked cage. "I've got you for three minutes! That's three minutes of playtime!" He said devilishly. Lighting took a deep breathe. I guess there's no way out of this one. Guess it's time to see what my powers can really do. Suddenly the bell rang and Crusher began to rush towards Lightning, whose eyes had gone wide open in realizing that this was really happening. He prepared himself for the the first test: durability. He allowed himself to get hit by Crusher's lariat attack, quickly knocking Lightning onto the ground. The crowd roared as the sound of the impact echoed throughout the arena.

"Ow..." Lightning muttered. "Yep... still hurts." But before he could get himself back up, Crusher had grabbed him and began slamming his body against the walls of the cage, before finally body slamming him back onto the ground of the ring. "Surprisingly," Lightning said to himself, getting back up off the ground. "I can still get back up." He then looked over to his opponent. Time for test two, he thought. Reflexes and agility. "That all you got?" He asked, taunting Crusher. "I can do this all day!" With a smirk on his face, Crusher had rushed his way back over to where Lighting was, preparing to strike him again. But much to his surprised he had missed entirely! "Hey! You missed me!" Lightning called out. Angered by the taunt, Crusher went for another attack, only for Lightning to dodge it again. "Ooohhh! You almost had me that time!" Flustered again by the taunt, Crusher threw a flurry of attacks at Lightning, who flawlessly dodged each one. Crusher eventually paused to catch his breath, exhausted from the endless attacks he had just thrown, and not a single one had connected! "This your first time in a fight, buddy?" Lightning asked. Once again furious by being taunted by the shrimp standing across from him, Crusher leapt at Lightning in an attempt to tackle him. However, he landed on the the ground empty handed, as Lightning had jumped out of the way and was now clinging to the cage wall.

"What the hell are you doing up there?" A furious Crusher demanded.

"Staying away from you!" Lightning quipped. "That's a pretty cute outfit you got there! Did you find it in the kid's aisle?" Crusher responded by trying to jump and grab Lightning, who merely jumped from the cage wall, doing a flip and turning midair to face his opponent when he landed. Lightning landed on all fours, bending his elbows and knees, looking up at his opponent and mimicking the movement of an actual spider. Okay, that was a pretty cool landing, he thought to himself. And now it's time for the final test: Strength. Lightning transitioned his weight until he was standing again. He then simply extended his arm out and beckoned Crusher to approach him. Once again, Crusher had raced towards Lightning. But instead of evading, Lightning stopped Crusher in his tracks and delivered a blow to his chest, sending him flying towards the corner of the ring. He immediately rushed back towards Lightning, who hit him with a clothesline blow, causing Crusher to hit the ground with a loud thud. He then peered over his shocked, grounded opponent. "Thought you would have learned not to rush in head first by now. Weird."

Angered once more, Crusher quickly got up and attempted to throw a punch towards Lightning's head. However, he ducked underneath the blow and lifted Crusher into the air. Lightning proudly held the behemoth over his head for a few moments as the crowd began to cheer for him, then delivered a final body slam, the loud boom resonating throughout the arena. Crusher did not get up. Suddenly, the bell rang as the cage was lifted up from the ring.

"Ladies and gentlemen," the announcer's voice came in loud. "I present to you the CWA's new champion, Spider-Man!" Filled with excitement and awe, Lightning looked around and put his arms in the air triumphantly as the crowd began to chant his name. He did it. He defeated the "Defiant Titan," the fan favorite Crusher. And it was all thanks to his amazing, inexplicable powers.

Lightning was now in an office, mask removed, ready to collect his prize money. The man across the desk was reclining in his chair, a large amount of cash sitting on the desk. The man counted out $300 and handed it to Lightning, who could hardly hide his excitement as he awaited the remainder of his reward. The man at the desk then began to count the rest of the money, but then looked up to see Lightning still standing there. "Alright kid, you got your money, now get the hell outta my office," he said bluntly. Lightning's excitement had quickly faded away.

"But the ad said 3000..." he started.

"Well check it again, Einstein!" The man cut back. "It said 3000 for 3 minutes, and you pinned him in two. For that I give you 300, and you're lucky to even get that much."

"You don't understand," Lightning replied. "I need that money!"

"Yeah? I missed the part where that's my problem." Realizing that this conversation was going nowhere, Lightning pocketed the money he was given before the man decided to demand for it back or something and head out of the office. As he left, another man with an orange face and brown handlebar mustache hurriedly brushed past him an entered the office. Lightning was at the end of the hallway and had just called the elevator to the floor when he heard yelling coming from the office. He looked to see the mustached man rushing towards his end with a handgun in one hand and a sack full of what was presumably cash in the other. "Stop! Thief!" Lightning could hear the man from the office yelling. "He's got my money!" Seeking revenge on the man, Lightning stepped out of the way of the thief, allowing him to enter the elevator.

"Thanks," the mustached man said to Lightning, as the door closed. The office man had finally reached up.

"What the hell's the wrong with you, kid? Huh?" He started. "You could have stopped that guy right in his tracks! Now he's going to get away with my money!"

"Yeah?" Lightning replied. "I missed the part where that's my problem." The man then looked angrily at Lightning, but then walked back to his office. Most likely to call the police. Lightning then turned his attention back to the elevator, calling it back to his floor. It's probably cold outside, he thought to himself. Better put my jacket back on. Lightning had exited the wrestling building and was making his way over to where he said he'd meet Uncle Growen. However, concern began to rise in him as he heard sirens and saw several police cars racing towards the general area. Lightning ran across the street to see what was going on and was horrified by the sight.

There on the ground laid a clearly wounded Uncle Growen. Lightning immediately rushed over, pushing through civilians and officers alike, informing the latter that it was in fact his uncle that lay on the ground. "What happened?!" He demanded, struggling to hold back tears.

"Carjacker," an officer replied. "We have people on the case right now." Lightning turned his attention back to his uncle.

"Uncle Growen?" He called softly, his voice braking up. His uncle's eyelids slowly opened. He was in pain.

"Lightning? Is that you?" Growen asked.

"I'm right here Uncle Growen." Lightning replied, taking his uncle's hand. "It's okay Uncle Growen, I'm right here." He repeated. But soon enough, Uncle Growen had drew his last breath, and Lightning watched as the life faded from his uncle's eyes, the hand held in his slowly slipping away. "No..." was all he could manage before putting his head down, tears streaming from his eyes.

"Attention all units: Suspect has been spotted heading west on 69th and Main. Over." Overhearing the conversation on one of the officer's radios, Lightning looked up. Slowly, he stood up and walked away from the scene of crime. He was going to chase after the murderer and avenge his uncle. Lightning quickly made his way over to an alleyway. He put back on his mask and gloves and stuffed the jacket back into his backpack. Then, he tossed it to the side and took note of the alleyway so he could come back for it later. With that taken care of, he jumped onto a wall and started climbing it. Once at the top, he proceeded to jump from roof to roof, making his way over where he heard the crook was supposedly headed. It wasn't long before he heard the sound of sirens, and saw his uncle's car being followed by several police cars.

Lightning then leaped from the roof he was on to a nearby wall, then began running on the wall, parallel to the ground below. He tried his best to catch up with the car, but to no avail. Super speed was not one of his powers. He had to cut the car off somehow. He then made his way back to the rooves of the buildings. He predicted the most likely path of the car then made his way over to wear he figured it'd end up. As he began to climb down the wall, he saw the car approaching the street he was near, making it's way right towards him! Waiting patiently, he paused for just the right moment then leaped right on the roof of the car. He punched a hole into it and managed to grab the crook's face, who responded by firing a few shots from his gun into the air. Thanks to his spider-sense, Lightning was able to avoid getting shot by any of them.

Lightning then looked to where the car was headed. An abandoned warehouse. Perfect. He then jumped from the roof of the car to the hood, blocking the driver's view. This caused the car to go out of control and it crashed at the entrance to the warehouse. Lightning jumped off of it as it collided, disappearing from sight. The crook then took a bag from the passenger's seat of the car then stumbled his way into the warehouse, knowing that the police would soon be after him.

The interior of the warehouse was dark. The crook had practically no visibility apart from the light from a few street lights leaking in through some windows. Lightning used this to his advantage, along with the fact that he could crawl on the ceiling as well. Every now and then, the crook heard a noise, keeping him alert. "Hello?" He cocked his handgun. "I know someone is in here! Just show yourself!" He then turned around to see a figure drop from the ceiling. Holding onto a pipe above his head, Lightning swung his body weight into a kick, sending the crook tumbling over. He landed near a window on the street side of a building. "P-please! Just leave me be!" The crook called out. "Just give me a chance!" Furious, Lightning grabbed the crook by the collar of his shirt and pressed him against the window.

"What about my uncle?" Lightning retorted. "Did you give him a chance? Did you??" In anger, Lightning clenched a fist and raised it, prepared to deliver a blow to the crook's face. But it was at this moment that the light shining through the window was enough to reveal the face, and it was one Lightning recognized. Before him stood the same orange faced, handlebar mustached man from the elevator. In complete shock, Lightning released the man and stepped back. The man snickered, recognizing Lightning by the ridiculous outfit. He then placed the handgun on Lightning's head, prepared to pull the trigger.

"See ya kid," the man said. But suddenly filled with rage, Lightning gripped the man's wrist and disarmed him of his weapon. He then delivered a left hook to the man's jaw, knocking him unconscious. Lightning didn't want to stop there, but something in his conscious told him not to go any further. Knowing that the police would be here any moment, he then climbed out of the window and made his way to the roof of the building. There he sat, pondering what just happened, tears swelling up in his eyes once again. He wanted to take that man's life, to seek revenge on him for killing his uncle, but he couldn't bring himself to do it. It was his own fault that Uncle Growen had died that night. If he had just stopped that man when he had the chance, none of this would have happened. But what if he did kill him in the building? Because he made one bad decision, he lost his uncle. Who knows what would have happened if he had chosen to make a second...

Lightning needed to clear his head of these thoughts. He needed to head back home. He made his way back to the alleyway where he had left his backpack. I definitely need a better mode of transportation, he thought. I'll have to leave that for another day, though. He made his way back home and comforted Aunt Hay as he broke the unfortunate news to her. She was just as devastated as he was, perhaps more so since it was her husband. But afterwards, Lightning made his way upstairs to his room. He needed to be alone. Uncle Growen... Was really gone. And it was all his fault. As he sat on his bed and looked out at the night sky, he thought back to those last words his uncle said to him. Before he lashed back at him. Remember Lightning, with great power comes great responsibility...

Author's Note:

Hey whaddya know, these keep coming out earlier and earlier in the day. 7 AM, 6 AM, and now 5 AM. Who knows, maybe one day I won't have to pull a freaking all nighter to get a chapter out lol. :derpytongue2: Anyway, had tons of fun writing this one and look forward to doing more! As always, hope everyone is enjoying so far and any feedback you've got is greatly appreciated! :twilightsmile: :heart:

okay sleepy time xd