• Published 7th Jun 2020
  • 1,206 Views, 62 Comments

Late Night Mangoes - Forgetful



Late Shift Is a radio personality in the human world, also a Bat Pony... Not that anyone believes that's true.

  • ...
1
 62
 1,206

The Oddballs, 12:30 A.M. - 1:00 A.M.

Author's Note:

Tonight's Callers!

Caller.1. UndeadSketches

Caller.2. LonePigeon

Caller. 3. Dj-pon3fan

Caller. 4. My Little Epona

Late Shift swayed her tail in a casual carefree manner. Julie had skipped out during their music block to acquire a box of various fruit-filled donuts. Indeed only the essentials were needed to survive the night, the slender bat pony plucking a mango filled pastry from the insecure box with a smirk.

She was a predator of fruit and these helpless donuts were her prey.

Fangs piercing into dough flesh, she began to slowly suckle the sweet nectar from within. Julie watching from her booth with thin arched brows, her messy Raven hair a nest of tangles. Without missing a beat she flicked the "On Air" button with a thin finger, back to the grindstone once more.

"Om-nom! ~ Caller you're on…" Late Shift lapped the sweetness from her hoof in a dream-like trance.

" Evenin', Miss Shift." A polite but professional voice spoke up.

"And evenin', to you darlin'." Late Shift flashed a fangy smile to nobody in particular.

"I'm a beat cop* who gets the night schedule." He chuckled.

"Always a delight to have our humans and ponies in blue, on the show!" She smirked, slowly plucking another donut from the box at her side.

"I'm partnered with an Earth Pony from the Apple Family. ~ The guy says that he has family all over and claims that you're an Apple. ~ Can you confirm or deny that?" The mysterious voice asked a playful question full of curiosity.

"Me an apple!?" Late Shift lifted both hooves to cup her cheeks in surprise.

"Sorry darlin', I might have some cousins out that way in Equestria. ~ But unless raiding their orchards at night for fruit makes us kin, I'd say no." She giggled aloud as a donut twirled atop her blue hoof.

"I knew he was making stuff up, also that's sort of a crime." The officer suddenly got extremely serious.

"We're breaking up….sssshhh!" Julie quickly hit the disconnect button laughing.

"Cousin Skree, if you're listening! ~ Keep an eye out, the fuzz might be looking for you!!" Late Shift gave a quick shift of her eyes.

"Caller Two, talk to me!" She switched to the next caller on the line.

"Late Shift, short time listener, first-time caller." A voice full of concern spoke up from the white noise.

"Oh, cherry hunting! ~ Consider yourself popped darlin'." Late Shift grinned wickedly within the dark.

"How are the ergonomics at the radio station? ~ Have they made everything easily accessible and comfortable for you?" The caller asked multiple questions with a voice that seemed to be in search of an honest answer.

"Hmm, a caller with an actual soul? ~ Wow, now this is a rare find." She stretched in place as her eyes glanced at Julie slyly.

"Just curious." The voice seemed to relax a bit more.

"Well, it's actually pretty sweet! ~ When I arrived they were quick to replace the giant chair in the studio with a miniature stool, the chair was the size of a mountain!" She flicked her tongue over her lips with a smile.

"We still use the chair during the day, that stool was found in the broom closet," Julie spoke up from her tiny booth giggling.

"Thank you, Julie, you officially killed my faith in humans!" Late Shift blew a loud raspberry.

"But seriously, tons of areas were lowered for my benefit around here. " Her dark orange eyes flashed to a tiny miniature coffee station set up in the corner.

"They even added fruit selections to the vending machines, in all I think they did alright!" Late Shift giggled switching to the next caller on the line.

"Caller…" Late Shift could hear an excited squeal from the other line.

"Hello Late Shift, you can call me Kitsune. ~ I was wondering if you like apples!?" Kitsune screamed in a high pitched voice, the bat pony cringing as a loud ring sent chills down her body.

"Hehe, Kitsune! ~ What bat pony doesn't enjoy a good apple?" She lifted a hoof to click to the next caller.

"Sweet or Sour!?" The voice quickly asked.

"Um, sweet I mean sour!" She replied caught off guard.

"Awesome, favorite color of apples?" Kitsune simply pushed the subject further.

"Julie, I thought we were scanning calls!?" Late Shift scrunched her muzzle into a tiny pout.

"Also if you could only eat one apple forever, what would it be?" Kitsune was still asking odd apple-related questions.

"Uhhh?" Late Shift looked lost as Julie was laughing behind soundproof glass.

"Which apple would you marry?" The madness wouldn't halt.

"Grr, the old gold one!!" Late Shift slammed the button to her right switching the call.

With both hooves massaging her temples, she waited for the next caller to probably ask a weird question about fruit.

"Caller Four, please tell me your question isn't about apples!?" She yanked a mango-flavored donut from the box at her side a tad annoyed.

"Heyoo, Late Shift. ~ Actually is it true all bat ponies have an insatiable hunger for mangoes?" The newest caller spoke with a voice dripping with sarcasm and laughter.

"Om-nom! ~ No, do we look like some mango crazed equines all the time!?" Late Shift ripped a large bite out of the mango donut, her muzzle coated in the bright orange filling.

"I mean mangoes are good and all…" She lifted her mango shaped cup to her lips, enjoying a deep drink of her favorite blend.

"But my life doesn't revolve around it!" Late Shift burped with a smack of her lips, confident she put that old rumor to rest once and for all.

With a soft click, the sarcastic call was put to an end. The night was still young yet the oddballs were already out by the dozens, which was absolutely fantastic.

After all, these were her people.

And ponies of course.

As the clock hit 1:00 A.M. the board lit up even brighter.

Time to return to the fray.