• Published 23rd Aug 2012
  • 3,503 Views, 36 Comments

Charlie the Unicorn: Friendship is Insanity - Kleptoshark



Charlie the Unicorn visits Equestria, can the mane six help free him of his two problems?

  • ...
4
 36
 3,503

Welcome to Ponyville

Charlie, a gray unicorn, had been travelling for days. He had lost count of exactly how long ago he had abandoned the meadow, attempting to flee the blue and pink unicorns who had been tormenting him since they had first met him. With a snort, he trudged onwards.

Eventually his path took him to a hill, where he could see a small town in the distance, his brow shot up in surprise, then furrowed; it was probably another trick the other two unicorns were trying to play on him, although he couldn’t see why. They had already stolen just about everything of value from him by leading him around on their logic-defying misadventures, including his horn (thankfully, it grew back, but it still ached). He sighed, and started making his way toward the small town in the valley.

As soon as he reached the edge of town, his path was blocked by a small pink horse, Charlie noted that thankfully, it was not one of the two unicorns that had been making his life a living hell for the last month or so; she was definitely too small to be a normal horse. He was, however, hesitant of the broad, gleaming smile she was giving him. He approached cautiously, and uttered a cautious greeting, still unsure of the small pink mare.

“Hello?”

“Hiya!” the pink mare’s smile was still fixed in place. “My name’s Pinkie Pie, what’s yours?”

Charlie recoiled slightly, taken aback by this pony’s overly-friendly demeanour, but he continued anyways.

“Charlie.” He spoke, identifying himself.

“Hi Charlie,” the mare known as Pinkie Pie chimed, “you’re new to Ponyville, aren’t you?”

Charlie considered the town behind her, he finally decided on an answer, “Sure.”

Pinkie Pie was obviously awaiting this cue, bouncing up immediately.

“Great! Follow me!” she chimed, bouncing into town.

The gray unicorn gazed thoughtfully at the bouncing creature, then gave a sigh, following her into the town.

~~~~~

Soon after they entered town Pinkie led him towards a stall, being tended by an orange pony in a farmer's hat. She tipped her hat towards them, greeting them.

"Howdy, Pinkie!" she called to them, "Who's this maverick y'got with you?" she asked, nodding towards the large-set gray unicorn.

"Hi Applejack," Pinkie greeted her, "this is Charlie! We're going to Sugar Cube Corner, come on!"

The orange pony, known as 'Applejack', pursed her lips in thought, before continuing.

"Sorry Pinkie, I'm fixin' to sell out this truckload of apples by the end o' today." she said, motioning towards several baskets overflowing with copious amounts of apples, "You go on ahead, I'll catch up with y'all later."

~~~~~

Applejack was busy hawking her fresh apples with a smile, when she noticed a pair bubblegum-shaded blue and pink unicorns galloping towards her, she smiled at them, expecting to make a quick sale.

“How can I help y’all?” she asked happily.

“Aaapplejack!” the blue unicorn called, immaculately knowing her name.

“We have to find Charlie!” called his pink counterpart.

“We know you know where he went.”

“You must show us the waaay.”

“The waaay!” the apple stand was suddenly concealed in a cloud of smoke, and for a few moments all Applejack could see was the occasional flashing of blue and pink, while the words ‘the waaay’ echoed around her eerily. The smoke vanished in a flash, to be replaced by the blue and pink unicorns staring at her intently, a pair of vacant smiles adorning their features.

At this point Applejack was cowering behind her stall, she lifted a shivering hoof, and pointed in the direction of Sugar Cube Corner.

“El kell menni a kaland!” declared the pink unicorn, and they disappeared in a flash.

~~~~~

Charlie was actually enjoying his stay at Sugar Cube Corner, the pink pony had introduced him to four of her friends, two of which were also unicorns, but not like him. These other unicorns, introducing themselves as Rarity and Twilight Sparkle, were much smaller than him, bearing more similarity to the pink pony he had met earlier than himself. On the other hand not one of them had tried to drag him along on a painful, nonsensical escapade that ultimately resulted in loss of personal belongings. He leaned back, munching on a cinnamon bun that Pinkie Pie had offered him, he could definitely get used to this.

“CHARLIE! WE HAVE IMPORTANT NEWS!” a blue unicorn shouted, barging through the front door of Pinkie’s confectionary store, a pink unicorn following closely behind. They both had blocks of marble cheese impaled on their horns.

“Oh god, oh god, oh god!” Charlie dived behind a display case, hoping fruitlessly that the two unicorns had not, indeed, spotted him.

Pinkie’s buoyant mane deflated, dropping like wet spaghetti. She fixed them both in a look that could have curdled milk.

“YOU!” She screamed, pointing an accusatory hoof at the two unicorns.

“Us!” called back the pink unicorn in a sing-song voice, “Pinkie Pieee, we missed you-”

“Get. Out. Of. My. STORE.” She shrieked uncharacteristically, grabbing a cupcake off a display case and brandishing it at them menacingly.

“Oh nooo!” the pink unicorn intoned, “We are no longer welcome!” at this, a large black void opened up behind the two unicorns, slowly sucking them in.

“Charlie!” The blue unicorn called, “Before we go, we need to tell you, you are no longer bound to your destinyyyy-!” The unicorn’s words echoed around the store as they were sucked into the vortex, promptly closing after them.

Pinkie was still staring at the place where the unicorns used to be. “Show-offs.” She muttered spitefully. Her hair suddenly inflated again, and she turned back to Charlie, addressing him as if the interruption had never occurred.

“So,” she asked, “how’s my baking?”

“It’s good,” Charlie said nonchalantly, taking another bite out the sticky pastry, and taking in the utterly horrified expressions of everyone in the building other than him and Pinkie, “pretty good.”