• Published 23rd Aug 2012
  • 3,094 Views, 85 Comments

The Chronicle of Tau Niem: Out of Place - Jack-Pony



A warrior-poet alien-human ancestor, ponies, intrigue, supernatural powers and no lack of luck - both good and bad - meet to ensure that nothing and no one is left untouched. Buckle up, it's time to see just how deep the rabbit hole goes!

  • ...
17
 85
 3,094

V'en: Tegris ~ Changes

Rarity awoke that morning, bathed in the warmth of the morning sun filtering in through her windows. As she began to stir from her slumber, a pleasantly sweet, yet smooth, smell wafted into her nostrils, accented by something altogether different? It smelled wonderful, but altogether foreign. However, if she was in bed, then who was cooking? Sweetie Belle. She jumped out of bed with a start and galloped down the stairs and into the kitchen doorway, only to pause there in shock…

“Good morning.” His voice replied cheerfully.

It all came back to her again. Sweetie Belle had not stayed the night, rather she had offered the Tau Niem creature her home, since he had none to call his own in Ponyville. The strange stallion was deftly handling a pair of hot, bread pans out of the oven with ease, thanks to his hands. What she had initially thought to be a strange, weak part of his body, she now regarded with envy. He was manipulating the bread knife at least as easily as she would with magic. So enthralled with his hands and their careful work, she did not notice that he was speaking to her, until he stopped.

“Oh, um, yes…” She chuckled, “I’m so sorry, I was-”

“You were watching my hands.” I stated with a chuckle, “Go on and take a seat, breakfast’s almost done.”

“No, I…” she said nervously, blushing gently at being caught staring.

“Its alright, I’m used to being ‘the alien’ and cooking is much more enjoyable with company.” I chuckled once more, before she sat at her table where she could watch me, “Now its your turn to humor me. I am curious to hear which one of your questions you ask me first…?”

“If you have telekinesis, why do you use your hands?” She complied with my request, which gave me reason to smile.

“It would take just as much effort to manipulate the hot pans and utensils as it would my hands.” I answered simply, “I imagine that with hooves, it would be easier wouldn’t it?”

She nodded as I removed a teapot that had been simmering on the stove for some time.

“I was told that this tea was best served extra hot, so do be wary,” I said, pouring her a cup, before pouring one of my own. It had a rich aroma, the main reason that I had chose it, though I had never seen the plant that it came from, let alone heard of it before… “I do hope that you like it?”

She sniffed at it, curiously deducing its origins.

“This is one of Zecora’s blends, isn’t it?” She asked me in shock.

“I do believe that was her name.” I nodded, “I take it you know her?”

“She is a Zebra that lives in the Everfree Forest.” I listened intently, though truth be told, this was the second time today that I had listened to a tale that I already knew…the things we do to remain incognito… “Zecora has quite the knowledge regarding the plants of the forest,” she said, gesturing the piping hot tea that we were still trying to cool, “…Not that you’d ever catch me living in there!

“Why’s that?” I asked, blowing on my tea.

“Oh darling, its horrid!” She exclaimed, “It’s so wet and muddy, everything is out to get you…” She trembled then, remembering her encounter with the Manticore…

“Are you alright?” I asked her, noticing her distress and placing my hand on her hoof.

“Yes, it’s just the less time I have to spend in that forest the better!” She declared, before suddenly changing the subject, “So what is it that you were baking?”

“Ah…” I smiled as I stood and went back to the counter, where the two loaves of bread sat, “Banana bread and pumpkin bread.”

“You made bread from fruit?” She looked at me curiously.

“They’re not entirely fruit, silly,” I said with a gentle, playful laugh, while I picked up the butter knife once more. Cutting out a large piece of each and placing them on the plate, I applied a rather generous helping of butter on half of both, so that she might decide which she liked better – buttered or unbuttered? “They’re recipes I picked up on my travels…” I remarked while putting the plate down in front of her, before returning for some of my own…

“Where did you get the bananas and pumpkin from? I don’t have any…?” She wondered.

“I went out first thing this morning and bought some, after I stopped to pick up some paperwork from the Mayor…” I remarked, while buttering my food.

“You managed to get bananas?” She balked.

“I did, why?” I made it a point to take the first bite of the banana bread.

“They are not common to this part of the world, as they have to come from the far south…” She explained.

“Well, fortunate for us then!” I exclaimed with a smile and a chuckle, before taking another large bite.

She cast an uncertain glance down at the banana bread that she brought to her muzzle and finally decided on giving it a hesitant sniff, before taking a dainty bite…well a dainty bite from her was still nearly as large as one of my larger bites. I denied myself a chuckle as I watched her carefully chew the dense, but moist bread, its chewiness and texture foreign to her. After a moment, she came to the decision that she liked it, taking another, yet larger bite. I grinned in success. I was not the best baker, but I could manage…

“Oh, this is delightful…” She sighed.

“Try the pumpkin bread.” I suggested.

She hesitated upon sniffing it…its scent was much stronger than that of the other loaf, the spices gave it the smell of a food with much more bite than it actually had. Nonetheless, when I gave her a reassuring nod, she once again took the dive. I joined her in taking a bite of the pumpkin bread and even I was pleasantly surprised at how it came out. It was a little difficult guessing on the spices, but apparently, I guessed correctly, because it was even richer than I had remembered. A fact that we both appreciated, judging by how fast she devoured her piece.

The two of us ate our fill, or perhaps a little more, judging by how sluggish we both acted afterwards? No offense to the royal cooks, but for all their fancy culinary skills, there was nothing like a good, hearty bread. Well, maybe some bacon and eggs, but something told me that the ponies, as tolerant as they were, would not appreciate me consuming meat in front of them very much…

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Shortly thereafter, I was out of Rarity’s boutique and taking my sweet time on a pleasant walk to Sweet Apple Acres. It had been ingrained in me from a young age to never let someone carry you, when you could take care of yourself. Because of this, I felt uneasy accepting the princesses’ charity, even if I were the unofficial ambassador of my people. Which got me to thinking, what could I do for work in Equestria? From what I had seen, the Equestrians had no real need of the kind of martial skills that I possessed, not that it mattered, the garrison in Ponyville was pitifully small. That left me with the six ponies that I knew…

Though Rarity had suggested that I help her with her business, I knew next to nothing about clothes – function over form was my motto… As undeniably cool as it would’ve been to work with Rainbow Dash in clearing the sky, for a Danårian to be able to manipulate clouds at all would be a feat in and of itself! Fluttershy didn’t seem to have much of a job for me to aid her in, as she took odd jobs herself… There also wasn’t much need for a third librarian in the tiny town of Ponyville either, though given the fact that I would be spending at least a modest amount of time with Twilight Sparkle, almost assured that I would be helping. Which left only Pinkie Pie and Applejack…and honestly, there was something about Pinkie Pie that unsettled me. She was just too fun. In small doses, I think that I could handle it, but all the time? One of the two of us would inevitably do something they would regret, most likely me.

This is how I came to the decision to seek out Applejack. After all, I knew a thing or two about working on an orchard, from the years of my youth. Sure, apples and kelovo are completely different, but surely working on an apple orchard couldn’t be that tough? I may not be a youth anymore, but neither am I old enough to be an elder…though some days I felt like I could be! This is how I found myself standing in front of the largest member of the Apple Family...

“You’re going to turn aside a pair of able hands!?” I barked incredulously.

“E’yup.” Big Macintosh nodded.

“I’ve given you my word that I am not a Human, nor do I mean anyone any harm! I want to work!” I declared honestly.

“Sorry, we haven’t got any work here.” Big Macintosh said plainly, before turning to walk away.

“You arrogant, racist…Bas!” I shouted at his back, “Turn and face me!”

My shout turned into a bellow, clearly far louder than he expected from a creature my size. He promptly spun about, beholding my visage, not unlike that of Princess Luna. Indeed, even the shattered rock underfoot reminded the stallion of the dark night that was last year’s Nightmare Moon festival! However, his courage was commendable as he stood his ground before the proverbial storm.

“I come before you to be of use and out of a desire to do right. By honor, I seek my right to support myself, not be lowered to relying on others, and this you would deny me!?” I snored in defiant anger, “I know that with even a dozen sets of hooves you’d still welcome help, but mine hands are not good enough for yours? Fine.” I nodded determined, “Then I proclaim an At’ori! No weapons, no rules, two warriors and their honor alone.”

“A what now?” He regarded me suspiciously.

“A fight. A duel of honor.” I smashed my fist into my heart, “…With no weapons but our hearts and wits!”

“I’m not gonna fight you.” He stated adamantly.

“Only an honorless coward would deny a legitimate challenge to their honor!” I sneered at the stallion, “…or is that it? All the brawn of a warrior, but none of the heart? The kind of man that would turn his back on his own family just to-”

The jeer worked, perhaps a little too well? The next I knew, the large stallion was barreling down on me in a rage perhaps my equal! It took all my speed and agility to dodge his head-butt aimed at my head, and then the following flailing of hooves. Even the glancing hit to my shoulder caused a significant amount of pain, however, it was not unrequited. In my very next move, I clocked him upside the head with my offhand, hard enough to stun him momentarily. Drawing back my right arm, I made to strike him once more, but it was not meant to be…

As I made to connect, a sudden tightness about my back sent me hurtling chest-first into the red stallion, with a thud. The next we knew, we were both on the ground, I lashed to his neck and chest, as if I were giving him a hug. I was somewhat reassured when his eyes told me that it was as much as shock to him, as it was to me.

“What in tarnation’s goin’ on here!?” The familiar voice of Applejack accused the two of us, “Well?” She barked after neither of us were immediately forthcoming.

“A hoof-fight…” Big Macintosh admitted sheepishly to the sherbet colored mare standing over us.

“A blind pony could see that!” She exclaimed.

“I don’t see the big deal, I challenged him to a duel…” I said rather displeased that we had been interrupted.

“Is that the way that you deal with your issues?” She asked rather roughly.

“Only issues of honor…” I replied dismissively.

Issues of Honor?” She repeated, turning to Big Macintosh, “What’d ya do?”

“Nothing! He’s the one who insulted me!” He exclaimed.

“Nothing!?” I exclaimed, “You not only lied, trying to deny me honest work, but then you tried to slight me again by denying me a rightful duel!”

“Convenient how you left out your insults…” He retorted.

“All justly deserved,” I said with a harrumph, “Only a Bas would turn down able hands when in need, and as for the slight upon yourself, well…perhaps that was uncalled for?”

“What’d he say?” Applejack asked her brother.

“Perhaps…?” He responded to me, ignoring his sister.

“Alright, I was wrong, it did take courage to charge me and the devotion to your family’s honor is admirable.” I admitted in apology, “But you’re still a fool for turning down a pair of able hands! I know from growing up on my family’s orchard that you can always use more hands!”

“That’s what this is all about!?” Applejack snapped incredulously at the two of us, though it was obvious that she was more upset with her brother than myself.

Turning my head as far around as it could go, I managed a weak nod. “I only want to work, to support myself.” I looked at her pleadingly, “I cannot accept the princesses’ charity…”

She sighed, pulling the rope off of the two of us, freeing us of our captivity. We each got to our hooves and feet respectively, and eyed the other, before looking towards the farm-pony.

“Ah can’t believe this…” She shook her head angrily.

“It was my fault.” I confessed, drawing a surprised look from both Apples, “I goaded him into fighting with me.”

“True as that may be,” She turned from me to her brother, “…Ya know better. Ah thought, ah assured ya the other night that he didn’t mean any harm? What’s more, you decided to get into a hoof-fight with him?”

“Please, don’t be stern with your brother, he meant well. He placed life and limb on the line to defend thy honor, a worthy pursuit, no?” I counseled her – no man should be punished for defending his honor, or those of his kin… “If you must punish someone, please, I would take his.”

Applejack sighed. “Tau Niem, our world ain't the same as yours. Now ah ain't gonna’ cuff either of the two of ya, even though both of ya deserve it!” She growled in frustration.

“I know that our two worlds are quite different, but what harm is there in a simple duel? How else are you to defend your honor?” I posed defensively.

“Not everything is about honor, sometimes ya gotta’ turn the other cheek.” Her philosophy was strange, quite the opposite of what I had expected.

“I disagree.” I stated frankly, but in a tone that carried no disrespect, “If you allow disrespect, or other negative behavior to go unchecked, you only invite further undesired action…”

“An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.” She responded.

“Perhaps.” I nodded, taking a moment to recall one of Equestria’s predators, “…but a scarred Manticore is less likely to try its paw again.”

Applejack regarded me a long moment, trying to refute what I had said. I could tell, because I had said the same thing to my father at a young age and he had responded to me in much the same way. It was a sad lesson to learn, that idealism dies in the real world, but it was one that served me well…

“You know why the Rose has thorns?” I asked her, upon noticing her grim expression, “To remind us the costs of our actions. Sometimes, the rose is worth the pain, sometimes it is not. In our culture, insults are not bandied lightly.” I informed her, “Bonds are the strongest defense.”

At that moment, something clicked in the stallion’s mind, I could see it in his eyes.

“Tau Niem?” He turned to face me, as did I, before he nervously cleared his throat, “You’re right. I judged you before taking a chance to know you.” He shot an apologetic glance to his sister, “I’m sorry, I should’ve given you a chance.”

Damn right you should have!” Oh, how badly I wanted to say that, but I didn’t... “Does that mean that you will give me a chance at some work?” I asked hopefully.

“What can ya do?” Applejack wondered.

I looked around and didn’t see any equipment besides a wagon or two, then I remembered how they got the fruit out of the trees, by bucking them. I pursed my lips together in thought for a moment, before I realized what I could do… Looking over my shoulder, I saw a nearby tree full with ripe apples, so I turned and reached out with my telekinesis. Wrapping my aura around one, I pulled it from the tree and swiftly brought it back to my hand. I smugly took a bite as I regarded their surprised expressions. Clearly, they had not expected that!

“The Macintosh are coming along nicely…” I commented walking to the very same tree.

I grinned at them once more, then placed my forehead upon the apple tree’s trunk. I could feel its life force flowing through it, from the roots below, to the leaves at its furthest points. Unlike the trees I grew up with, these were small, simple plants. Whispering to it, I sang it a song, one from my childhood back home. The tree’s leaves gained a new luster and almost seemed to glow from the ponies’ perspective. From my mind’s eye, the ‘simple plant’ glowed like a pleasant shimmer on a pond.

Buckets…” Was the only prompting I gave the two, the quietest whisper, in the middle of the song, but it was enough to get them to jump.

As I continued, the tree hummed, and groaned, and creaked in cadence with the melody. It was no doubt eerie, yet mesmerizing to the two? I could only guess, because after placing the buckets around the foot of the tree, they stood silently. With the final note, I looked up to see the apple tree raining its fruit down, like a red rain from its branches. I felt rather tired from the act, but the look on my face betrayed none of the fact; showing the Apples only my glee, as I spun in a circle laughing, before slumping down at its base for a quick breather…

“Wow…” Applejack murmured.

“It’s not very effective, but sure is a lot of fun!” I chuckled.

“H-how…how did ya do that?” She stammered.

“What? You think we’re the only things that can speak?” I grinned, “Just because plants are different, don’t think that they can’t communicate.”

“Ya were-” She started.

“Speaking? Yes.” I nodded, closing my eyes and leaning against its trunk.

In my mind’s eye, I could still picture the plant and its wonderful, warm glow of life; but now, I could see tree, after tree, after tree, for miles. Hundreds of apple trees humming to one another! I had stirred them from their slumber, given them a reason to commune, beyond the mundane…

“Ah can’t believe it…” Applejack said in wonder, causing me to open my eyes.

“They appreciate your care.” I stated with a gentle smile, “In their own way, they love you, they care for you. That’s why their fruit is so very sweet.”

The mare looked up at the leaves and apples of the trees around her. Though she had long known her destiny was to work Sweet Apple Acres, at that moment, there was something special about it. Learning something so profound, her world just gained a bit more color.

“Applejack! Big Mac!” The sound of a small voice running towards us, drew my attention, as well as theirs, “What’s going on? What’s the matter?”

At that moment, the three little fillies that went by the names of Applebloom, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle all eagerly raced towards us, apparently not yet seeing me…because as they did, the three almost simultaneously panicked and hid behind Applejack and Big Mac, with the cutest little Eep’s.

“It’s alright, I won’t hurt you.” I promised them in the softest tone I could manage.

Three heads appeared from behind their protectors, to nervously regard me sitting at the base of the tree. Finally, Applebloom looked up at her elder-brother.

“Why’s there a Human in our orchard?” I winced at her words…I was really wishing that they had never heard of our exiled-brethren.

“He’s not a Human, he’s a Danårian.” Applejack told her younger sister.

“He looks like one.” Sweetie Belle stated bluntly.

“I should, Humans are our distant relations.” I frowned, “They are exiles…”

“Exiles?” Scootaloo parroted, not understanding.

“We sent them away because they could not live with us, as civilized people.” I explained, and slowly, the three came out from behind the adults’ legs.

“So, he’s a good one?” Applebloom asked her brother.

Big Mac and I exchanged a meaningful look, before he turned to his little sister. I would be lying if I said I was not surprised by his answer…

“E’yup.” He nodded.

Before I could react in the shock that I had from his reassurances, the three little fillies swarmed me! Quite a change from just a moment ago, as I was now barraged by more questions in just a few seconds, than I think I was asked by the Council of Imperators, when I sought my station as Diplomat of the Federation. I swear that both of the older Apples were snickering at me and the situation I now found myself in…

“Girls? Girls!” I fought over their voices, until they finally quieted down, “Please, one at a time. I am an alien, but I can still only listen to one of you at a time…”

“If you’re an alien with a spaceship, have you ever abducted anypony?” Scootaloo asked exuberantly.

“Not yet…” I said with a smile, ruffling her mane, “I don’t actually have a ship.”

“How did you get to Equestria then?” Applebloom chirped.

“I don’t know.” I admitted, “I awoke in the Princesses’ hall a few days ago.”

“…and nearly destroyed it…” Applejack murmured, earning a quick glare from me.

“You fought the royal guard!?” Scootaloo squeaked in shock.

“…and the Princesses.” I chuckled, “It was all a misunderstanding…”

“So, if you fought the Princesses and didn’t get turned to stone, that must mean you have some amazing superpowers!” Scootaloo bounced.

“You have superpowers?” Sweetie Belle exclaimed.

“Maybe…?” I hummed, picking up the little filly with my telekinesis, earning a startled eep from her! Just as she was about to protest, I placed her in my lap and began running my hand through her mane in a soothing fashion, “What do you think?”

“Mmmm…” She purred, “That feels good~”

“How did you do that?” Applebloom exclaimed in shock, as Scootaloo regarded me similarly, wondering where my unseen magic came from, “You don’t have a horn, so how can you use magic?”

“Our people can channel our powers from anywhere on our bodies.” I explained simply, not bothering to correct them on the subject of magic and psionics.

“Come on girls, Tau Niem came here to work. I’m sure that he’ll spend some time with ya this evening?” Applejack sought to help free me from them, though truth be told, I really didn’t mind.

I took that as my hint that she wanted to get back to work, so I stopped running my fingers through Sweetie Belle’s mane. The three looked up into my eyes, hoping that I would agree with what Applejack had said. I merely smiled and nodded, before placing the unicorn-filly back on the ground next to me with my hands. They squealed with delight and roughly leapt at me, taking hooves first in a group hug. Unlike Pinkie Pie, the three younger ponies were not quite so gentle… Nevertheless, I grinned as they released me, to scamper off laughing. A warmth filed me as I listened to their gleeful banter. It felt good to know that I could still make someone smile, even if I knew that joy was always short lived…

I’ve become cynical in my old age…”

“What was that?” Applejack turned to me curiously.

“Hmm? Nothing.” I remarked, shaking my head, “Just remembering my youth…”

Author's Note: