• Published 23rd Aug 2012
  • 3,094 Views, 85 Comments

The Chronicle of Tau Niem: Out of Place - Jack-Pony



A warrior-poet alien-human ancestor, ponies, intrigue, supernatural powers and no lack of luck - both good and bad - meet to ensure that nothing and no one is left untouched. Buckle up, it's time to see just how deep the rabbit hole goes!

  • ...
17
 85
 3,094

Taks: Eh-tama ~ Moving

It took us the better part of a week to cross the desert on foot and hoof with our changeling guide. Thankfully, we had him as a guide, at least I assume that it was a he; I never could tell with changelings. Unlike the insects they somewhat resembled, they did not appear to share many of the traits that arthropods seemed to have in common. The most notable being that they seemed to need to breathe through their muzzles’ more like ponies, rather than through specialized pores in their carapace. In addition, they seemed to have both male and female ‘drones’ in equal numbers. Regardless, I don’t think our changeling guide spoke more than two words to the two of us in the whole time, yet our thankfulness seemed to be more than enough to keep him sated, for he did not ask for anything more than a few sips of water. Anyways, were it not for his assistance, I doubt that we would’ve made it out of the desert as swiftly as we did. True, Danårians hail from a desert homeworld, but there was something about the badlands that was just plain unnatural. Then again, much of Equis struck me as being very similar in that regard.

Upon reaching the border of Equestria, he gave us a nod of his head and turned back towards the hive. A part of me wondered if he’d be punished for his actions, however, I quickly dismissed the thought as a part of my Danårian mindset. If Chrysalis didn’t want him to lead us away, I doubt that she would’ve allowed them to aid us in any way. I suspected that what the hive had sneakily taken from the two of us was more than enough to last them a good, long time. However, that was merely an educated guess. I really doubted that she feared me that much. An entire hive versus one Danårian did not exactly seem like a wise fight in hindsight. On the other hand, I would’ve gone through with it, without a hesitation had the Queen called me out on it. I do not bluff.

…Well, not usually.

“Is what you said true?” Satos’ words broke me from my thoughts, only to realize that she was almost a full length behind me, “…did our clan seek vengeance for my execution?”

I nodded quickly. “I did embellish the numbers a bit.” She gave me a skeptical glance, “Alright, a great deal, and I may have neglected to mention a few key facts, but the sentiment is true nonetheless!”

“Embellished how?” She raised a brow skeptically.

“Well…” I sighed, “There were nearer to fifty of us and as well you know, Aggrat was not a city of three-million.”

“No, it was a mountain top citadel. It could’ve scarcely held a million, at most.” She recited from memory, proving that it was indeed her.

“Aye, and the city burning was not intentional. During the raid, a guard accidentally knocked a lantern onto the thatched roof of a stable.” I admitted.

“Wait, you attacked at night?” She sputtered incredulously, to which I nodded, “Cowardly.”

“For the code of honor held at the time, yes.” I conceded.

“At the time?” She repeated, “What does that mean?”

“It means that much has changed. Honor values for example, have changed since your time. Now there would be honor to be had in such a cunning attack.” I explained.

“Our people hath become cowardly knaves…” She scoffed, “Also, why do you not call our clan by its ancestral name?...and what does this new name mean? I am not familiar with the dialect with which you speak…”

“I can understand that.” I nodded, “It means, ‘the old ones’, and as for the my ‘dialect’ this is ‘Modern’ Danarii Langa. Well, we Ne Ni Nei do have something of an accent still…”

“You have an accent, why is that?” She cocked her head to one side not unlike a dog and of course, I started laughing, “What is so funny!?”

“I am sorry, Ao Illumini Satos, it’s just that head tilt, it’s too cute!” I laughed, before taking a hoof to the shin, “Ow…damn it! Was that necessary? That was a compliment!”

“Do not think to dodge the question!” She barked.

“I wasn’t!” I exclaimed, before wincing in pain, “You see, after your death, our clan took to the stars. Without you, our clan lost the will to fight. Rather, we saw no need to fight in such pointless affairs, when a person could be cut down for no reason beyond their birth.”

“So you fled?”

“I know that’s how it may look…”

“Is it not? Then what is it?”

It was time to use her own code against her. “Is there any honor in fighting for an unjust cause?”

“None.” She did not hesitate a moment in her response.

“That’s what the wars had become. An unjust cause. A war for the sake of war.”

“What greater cause is there than power?”

“Freedom.” It was my turn to respond without thought and this made her silent, “What greater cause is there than the freedom of our kin? All our kin, without exception for caste, nor clan?” I looked her in the eyes, “It was this message that we spread when we sought a new homeland in the stars.”

“How did you manage such a thing?” She wondered curiously.

“Cryo-sleep for many, many generations, before we fell upon Kelovo.”

Ke-lo’avo?” She repeated in the ancient tongue – I nodded, “Very tall bush? What compelled your ancestors to call the place, very tall bush?”

“Because, they are...the Kelovo trees, for which the planet was named, that is. They tower so far above our heads that they were beyond belief!”

She looked nervously at the ground, before pawing at it with a hoof. “I am sorry, I…there is nothing cowardly about seeking a new homeland. Much less daring an untested path into the stars.”

“I understand. Many of our kin did not share our opinions on the trip.” I explained, “If you would like, I could fill you in on your missing history?”

“I would like that Tau Niem Vas Kelovo…” She smiled, “It has a certain ring to it! Do tell me more of our clan’s new home?”

“As you wish…” I nodded with a smile.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I spent the remaining portion of the hike back into Equestria-proper educating Satos on the vast spans of history that she had missed. Several times, she was awed by what we had accomplished, more than a few times, she had smiled in pride and when I spoke of the fall of the First Federation, she wept. At that, any lingering doubts of her true identity fled. I could tell they were her honest emotions. However, I could not bring myself to linger on such a depressing topic, so I jumped over a significant portion of our history, and I arrived at the time of my great-grandfather; Tael Omnis. He was an admiral in the Danårian Space Forces and would eventually become the greatest of the high-admirals to lead the fight against the Jakial. Upon hearing of his exploits, she stopped me and looked deeply into my eyes. So fantastic was the tale that she was actually trying to tell if what I spoke was true. Of course it was, and this made her chuckle gently in mirth.

“I am glad to see that we have not lost our fighting spirit.” She glanced over at me, “Truth be told, I was worried when I felt your mind and sensed nothing but words, and language.”

“I will have you know that I still graduated at the top of my class during my training to serve aboard extraterritorial ships. I earned the respect and admiration of my guard.” I defended my honor stoutly, but respectfully before my honored ancestor-incarnate.

“I see.” She nodded, “Then I owe you a second. You do our namesake proud.”

My cheeks flushed not so subtly. “I’m glad that my service pleases you.”

However, before I could continue, an armored pegasi swooped down at us. “Halt!” He barked at me.

“Tau Niem, what hath thou done to earn such a welcome?” She eyed me critically, a trace of anger smoothing her voice.

“I may have disrespected their princess...” I admitted sheepishly.

She sighed and took a step forward, eyeing the armored guard. “Take us to her.” The stallion nodded, before Satos turned her head back to me with a scowl upon her face, “This is not what I expected of you…diplomat.”

I swallowed, though my mouth was dry. Satos really was as frightening as she was said to be, even in pony form. Oh ancestors, I just hope that she didn’t start a war! diplomacy is not what she was known for. Then again, neither had I been the best of diplomats myself…

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I fell to my hands and knees before her solar majesty, to beg forgiveness, for I had defied a matriarch, moreover one of the sovereign rulers of all Equestria. Beings reputed to have powers, that if believed, far surpassed any of my kin – a fact I was not about to forget! Shame kept my eyes glued to the floor beneath, but moreover it was my fear. Though I did not consider Celestia my foe, I still couldn’t let her see the fear in my eyes. All, my fears had reappeared, even stronger than before. However, for all my fears, ironically enough I did not fear her, nor what she might do to me. No…I feared what had become of Twilight Sparkle, or what might become of the two of us. It took all my discipline to merely remain still, my breathing kept at a steady pace.

“Princess Celestia, I come before you by my own power to plead for your mercy. A pardon for my previous actions?” I spoke just strongly enough to ensure that my voice made it to her, but no louder, “I also plead that you not punish Twilight Sparkle for my actions, as she had no foreknowledge of what came to transpire.”

Satos rolled her eyes and clopped up to stand a pace closer to the princess than I, before turning her head halfway to me. The sound of her hooves caused me to dare a peek upwards, to see what she was doing. If her expression was any indication, she was not pleased with me at the moment. Though I scarcely dared, I felt compelled to regard Celestia timidly and if her expression were any indication, she looked thoroughly confused by Satos’ appearance.

“That’s enough, Tau Niem. I’ll not have you grovel in the presence of an outlander, you are more respectable than a common cur.” She subtly ordered me to cease.

Celestia observed this rather odd looking pony before her, even as I rose from bowing to remain upon my knees. It was clear to the princess that whomever this pony was, I recognized her as a superior.

“And whom might you be?” Celestia asked Satos calmly.

“This is-” I began, only to be silenced by a cold, sideways glance.

“I can introduce myself, Je’dek.” She addressed me coldly and I bowed my head in submission, before she turned toward the princess, “By this name I honor, Satos the Fallen of the Ne Ni Nei Clan,” – She cast me a curious glance about that one tradition I had insisted upon – “paragon and acting head of kin and clan upon Equis.” She bowed her head briefly out of respect, “As such, I claim his dishonor as my own and seek your ear should you offer it?”

Celestia looked to her curiously, “I am not sure I follow?”

“In our culture he is my responsibility, seeing as he has no family, nor spouse to answer for his faux pas. Thus it falls to me to decide his fate.” – Satos motioned with her hoof, while I winced at her words. Intentionally – or most likely not – her words had stung. Had I not been a failure, Karai would’ve answered for me – “If you can find it in your heart to forgive him, I will see to it that he is punished justly for his offense.”

Celestia looked down from her seat at me, making it clear just whom she was really speaking to – me. “I am not angry, per se,” She then turned her glance back to Satos, “however, I cannot have subjects defying my orders. Surely you understand?”

Satos nodded, “That I can.” She glanced back at me, “On the other hoof, you should know that he does owe his allegiance to another. His promise was made to her for life. That means if, however unlikely it may be that she were to return to the land of the living, he would be obligated to see to her safety.” She returned her gaze to the princess, before guiltily looking to her hooves, “My message to him may not have been the clearest. For his actions, I am partially at fault.”

Celestia nodded a little in understanding, before turning to me. “Tau Niem?” She spoke my name with authority, assuring that she had my attention, “I shall remand your person to your clan-head, whom shall see to your punishment. You are to return to Ponyville immediately.” A subtle smile snuck onto her face, “I think there is a certain pony there that eagerly awaits your return…” she quickly turned to Satos, “Assuming this is acceptable to you?”

“It is.” Satos nodded gently.

Celestia clopped her gold-shod hoof upon the tile beneath, summoning a similarly gold-armored guard from the other side of the large doors at the opposite end of the hall. Honestly, how had I not noticed her love of gold as of yet? I was slipping…

“Your majesty?” An earth-pony reported with a nod.

“Please see Tau Niem safely to my student’s residence in Ponyville.” She requested with a kind, motherly tone.

“As you will.” The guard nodded resolutely.

“Thank you, Princess Celestia.” I said with a kind smile, before carefully rising.

As I stood, I regarded her eyes and I sensed that I still had a stern talking to coming at some point, but all things considered, I think I made it through far better than I had feared. Deep down, a part of me suspected that she felt my fears. After all, one does not live this long without getting a sixth sense for reading people.

“You may go now,” She dismissed me with a wave of her hoof, “I still have much to discuss with your, head of clan.”

I glanced to Satos, that I would have her leave too and she gave her consent with a unenthused closing of her eyes. I bowed once more to the princess and turned to see the armored pony staring up at me with awe. I did not recognize him from when I had sparred with the Royal Guard previously, and honestly, I was surprised that in my state that I could draw true awe from anyone!

Once we were out of earshot of her majesty, the princess, the young stallion – so I gathered from the tone of his voice – again looked up at me eagerly.

“Is it true what the elder guards say of you?” He asked me nervously.

“What is it that they say?” I wondered.

“Rumor has it that you were the one responsible for the damage to the throne room?”

I nodded gently. “I was not in my right mind after being pulled here.” I admitted somewhat sheepishly, “Your princesses were forced to knock me unconscious, with the aid of Rainbow Dash.”

“You know the Elements of Harmony too!?” He squeaked.

I nodded once again. Really, I was beginning to feel like a celebrity. If I knew that it was as simple as picking a fight with a pair of supernatural powered princesses and challenging the entire Royal Guard to a foot race, I would’ve done it earlier! However, something told me that I was not going to like the repercussions half as much as the fame. That something came in the form of a familiar white unicorn with a blue mane, wearing a scowl.

“Ooh, I am so jealous…” He squealed in an almost coltish manner, before noticing the approaching unicorn and responding with a salute, “Shining Armor, sir!”

“I’ll take him from here.” Shining Armor replied coldly to the stallion.

“Uh, sir, Celestia herself assigned me to see him-” The younger guard began to respond, only to be cut short.

“I am the head of her guard, your superior officer.” The unicorn reminded his young subordinate.

The stallion looked to me curiously. I nodded my assent. “Yessir.” He saluted and turned to canter back to his post.

“Guardstallion?” Shining Armor called to him, causing the lad to pause mid step, “Take the rest of the evening off.”

He cocked his head curiously, before nodding. “Thank you, sir.”

After a few moments, once the young guard was out of earshot, I half turned toward the clearly angry unicorn. “I take it this isn’t a social call?” I asked, only to receive an affirmative shake of his head, “Do you mean to challenge me?”

“What, and defy the will of three princesses, one of which being my wife?” He glared at me critically, “I may be many things, but stupid isn’t one.”

“What then?” I wondered.

“You and I are going to have a little talk…”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I’ll hand it to Shining Armor, despite the fact that he knew I could best him, he was surprisingly confident and forceful when it came to lecturing me. Needless to say, both he and his wife received quite the tongue-lashing from Celestia after they allowed me to escape. Then again, the rest of his guard fared little better. The whole lot of them were being drilled into the ground after I outran them. I personally thought that was a little unfair; I had both motivation on my side, as well as the fact that I was not wearing plate-armor! Sure, in a sprint they were faster than I could ever hope to be, but in a chase, one could not sprint. Pacing was important, else I could’ve rounded on them and easily overcome them in their fatigue.

Well, now I was getting what I was sure would only be the first of many such ‘chats’. Though there was nothing forcing me to remain and listen to his tirade, I did so because I knew I deserved it. As I said before, if this were the worst of it, I would gladly accept it. Just so long as Twily wasn’t punished.

Oddly enough, for as long as his rant went on – even as it turned from rage, to a slowly simmering frustration – he left his sister out of it. By the time we arrived in Ponyville, he at least let me get a word in edgewise – an apology and a promise to repay him somehow. Before I knew it, he was motioning me forward. Following the line of his hoof, I saw that we weren’t too far from Twilight’s Treehouse Library. It never ceases to amaze me how time can fly!

“You’re not coming with?” I raised a brow curiously, “Don’t you want to visit with your sister?”

He raised a brow back at me. “I thought she said you were her stallion?”

“Yeah,” I chuckled, before murmuring, “...something like that.”

“Yeah, well if you haven’t seen her mad yet…” He looked away dismissively.

“Oh, I have. She pulled me face-first off a bridge, when she thought I was going to jump.” I laughed surprisingly easy at the memory, “Chewed me out too!”

“Yeah, well…I’ve got a wife waiting for me back at home.” He said, taking note of the swiftly setting sun over my shoulder.

“Ah, say no more.” I nodded, “Give her my regards?”

Shining Armor nodded, before turning to head back toward the train station. “Good luck.” He chuckled.

As I turned back toward her Treehouse, I got the strange feeling that Shining Armor was a little afraid of his little sister. Then again, I couldn’t blame him. After all, I knew what she was capable of as well as he did. Fighting monsters, fallen-alicorns, and the embodiment of chaos himself! The funny thing was, as I brought myself to knock upon her door, I thought I was ready for whatever sort of welcome I might receive. Without fail, every time I think like that, life decides it’s time to take me down a peg. This time was no exception.

“Coming…” I heard Spike call out.

Suddenly, the door opened and the small, purple and green dragon looked up at me in shock. Clearly, he was not expecting to see me. For a moment, he looked mind-blown.

“Hello, Spike.” I said simply.

“Who’s there?” Twilight called from upstairs.

Spike glanced back at me nervously – it was a look that spoke volumes. “Uh, I’ll go get her…”

He turned and disappeared without another word, leaving me unceremoniously on the doorstep. I chuckled, partly out of humor and partly to convince myself how silly the thought of Twilight freaking out would be…but was it? Was it so strange to think that she might be furious? I did leave her in Canterlot Castle, with Princess Celestia, to chase after another woman… That thought did not sit well. I debated for a moment, as what to do, before I took a step inside and closed the door behind me. Not even crossing the threshold, did I hear her hooves scrambling like a mad-pony down the stairs. I chuckled once more, this time at myself for being so paranoid. Twilight would be happy just to know I was safe and sound. The yelling would no doubt come later…

I turned around with a smile, just in time to be tackled to the wall and enveloped. My first instinct was to reach up and grab whomever it was that was attacking me by the mane that was draped over my face and blinding me, while giving them a piece of my mind. However, as my addled brain caught up with what was going on, I thought better of it. After the initial tackle, I had not been struck, so either they were glad to see me, or it was the most inept pony assassin of all time! Either way, my hand ended up in her mane; I assumed it was a her after all, since I doubt that a stallion’s hair would be that soft. From what I remembered of Big Macintosh’s mane, it was softer than expected, but not this soft. Regardless, because of mane and wings, I couldn’t see a thing. My entire vision was dark. So, was it Rainbow Dash? Only her feathers would be that dark…but her mane was anything but. Finally realizing I hadn’t taken a breath in several seconds, I groaned into her neck. There was a start of surprise, before I was suddenly released.

Asto!” Twily exclaimed as she hopped off of me, “You’re alive! Well, of course, you’d be alive, but you’re back! Oh, Celestia, you had me so worried! She didn’t…” she stopped her rambling upon seeing my flabbergasted expression.

“I…uh, your…um…” I stopped myself from doing any more damage to my ego with the incoherent speech, by taking a deep breath.

Saying I was shocked would be putting it mildly. Instantly, my brain began a practical reboot, trying to comprehend what I saw. Deep purple eyes? Check. Tri-colored mane? Check. Light violet coat? Check. Four hooves? Check? Horn? Check. Wings… Well, those are new. She quickly noticed my gaze and looked back at them, before flexing them nervously.

“I…um Twily? Are those, um, those are, well…new.” I stumbled over my own words.

Truth be told, I didn’t quite know what to make of it. How had she just gained wings? I was pretty sure that those weren’t there before. Apparently without realizing I was doing it, I had extended my hand toward her half extended wings.

“It’s alright, you can touch them.” Her words shocked me back to attention.

Looking down, I timidly reached out the last few inches, as she took a step closer to me. The sensation of her feathers was nothing like what I had expected. I have owned birds before, chickens, mostly…though in a few of my past lives, I have had a few more, exotic species… None of which had prepared me for this. The sensation of her soft feathers reminded me of a chick’s, just after shedding their downy feathers, or perhaps those of a peacock’s? It was firm, but silky smooth at the same time and unnaturally soft! I looked up into her eyes and saw a careful apprehension, as if…she wanted my approval.

“They’re real?” She nodded in response to my question, “I mean, they’re not from some spell, but they’re a part of you?” She nodded once more, “Does this mean…?”

“I’m an alicorn? Yes.” She preempted me.

“So, you’re like Luna and Celestia and Cadence then?” I had to ask.

“I am.” She nodded nervously, “I am now the Princess of Magic.”

My features softened into a smile. “I’m so proud of you!” I exclaimed, taking her in a mighty hug; not quite to the extent she had given me before, but still a warm embrace that she eagerly returned, “When did this happen? How did it happen?”

She inhaled with an almost gleeful look upon her face, eager to tell me all about what had occurred and how she had become an alicorn…then, she abruptly froze, causing me to do likewise. The euphoria of my return and then the resulting trepidation of her change, had momentarily halted her otherwise normal thought process. Now that it was returning, one question popped to the forefront of her mind…

“Where is she? Did you…?” I shook my head in response, a touch of defeat coloring my face, “I’m so sorry…is, was…Chrysalis?”

“No.” I responded simply.

“I don’t understand, was it a trap?” She regarded me curiously.

“No,” I shook my head once more before continuing, “...it…I…” I sighed, trying to find a way to explain what had happened in a way that made sense, only how could I make sense of something that to me did not? I could not… “I think this is going to take some time.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

We retired to the kitchen and shared a kettle of tea. It took me a great deal of time and the best of my abilities to explain what had happened. It took almost as long to convince her that Chrysalis had not tampered with my mind, especially once I reiterated some of the Changeling-Queen’s comments to the lavender mare. However, her fears were quickly silenced, once I showed her that my mind was indeed uncorrupted by changeling ‘magic’. It was then that she glimpsed the underlying confusion wracking my mind regarding the strange pony-incarnation of Satos. It took me a moment longer to explain to her the significance of Satos. Though she now had an idea of what a paragon was, thanks to the multiple times that we had shared minds, the true weight of the situation took some explaining. Then again, I wondered if she understood. After all, I couldn’t claim to have understood. What did her presence mean for us? For me? Was she why I was brought here? Did she bring me here? Did that make me angry, or sad? Happy? Then, at that moment, Twilight nuzzled my thigh, where my hand sat. Without thinking, I instantly caressed her cheek, before running my hand through her mane with a smile. Happy, I decided.

Even if this were a mere respite on my long journey, it would be one I would treasure. Looking down into her eyes, my indecision melted away, as did my fear and trepidation. My confidence returned to me. I decided that I had been brought here for a reason and whatever it was, I would face it confidently with her at my side. If I were here to help her, I would do so, if I could. If I were here so she could help me, I knew in my heart that she was perhaps one of the few in existence that I could count on to do so…and that was a thought that stunned me. I trusted her more than I trusted my own people. I doubted in them, but not in her. I doubted that they could help me, or would help me, but not her. As I looked deeper into her eyes, I felt that she would do anything to help me. That realization sent a tremor of fear down my spine. What had I done to her? A pang of guilt caused me to recoil. The look of pain in her eyes screamed out at me, only chastising me further Not only had I scarred her with my memories, dragging her with me through my own, personal hell, but then, I abandoned her. I left her, there, upon the long, red carpets of Celestia’s throne room to chase after another. I was pathetic. Claiming to love her, when at the drop of a hat I would leave her behind. What sort of man did that make me? Without thinking, I fell to my knees before her, tears welling up in my eyes. I brought my hands up to my face in shame.

“I’m so sorry, Twilight. I left you alone. I’m sorry that I’ve hurt you so many times…” I sobbed, before removing my hands and looking up at her with reddening eyes, “What do you see in me? Why do you care for me so, even after everything?” The pure fear of her coming to her senses caused me to burry my face in my hands once more, “I’m such a failure in every sense of the word…”

“Oh, Asto…” She sighed and the next thing I knew, I was in a cocoon of soft downy feathers and it comforted me in a way that I never thought possible, “I love you, because in you, I see something that clearly you don’t.” she suddenly pulled away from me, causing me to look up into her violet eyes in shock, only to see the most brilliant smile staring back at me, “In you I see a great strength and wisdom that I think even Celestia and Luna envy!”

“Yeah, right…” I scoffed, the flattery doing nothing for me, seeing as I didn’t believe it for a moment.

“I’m not mad at you,” Those simple words shocked me to my core.

“You’re not?” I stammered in disbelief.

She shook her head. “It took a great deal of courage to follow Chrysalis as you did…and the way you stood up to my brother and Cadence, that was exceedingly brave.” She leaned in closer, “You do realize that she alone could’ve pummeled you into a pulp right?”

“She could have tried,” I acknowledged with a nod, “but the whole of the Canterlot guard couldn’t have stopped me without killing me first.”

“…and that right there,” – She placed a hoof on my chest – “that dedication, that loyalty, I find beautiful. The idea that you would walk knowingly into the clutches of a mare that only wants to use you, to save the one you love…”

She hugged me tightly with both her forelegs and her new wings, eliciting a quiet, shocked gasp from me. “You mean that you’re not angry with me for running off after Karai? You’re not jealous?” I asked, needing to hear it for myself.

She released me slightly, to bloop me on the nose with hers. “Silly, did you forget already that herds are the norm for ponies?” She giggled softly.

“I guess I did…” I too giggled in embarrassment.

“In fact,” She leaned in closer to me, “the idea of a stallion chasing after one of his mares to protect her, is very romantic.”

Though she didn’t say it, I could see it in her eyes that such a thing was a major turn on for her. Seriously, were stallions all over pampered lightweights? I instantly threw off the idea, realizing I was imposing my culture on theirs...but seriously, as a Danårian man, I could not shake the feeling of how wrong that was! The fact that my traits were considered exotic, shouldn’t have shocked me, but I couldn’t help it. I knew at that moment, that words would’ve failed me, so I simply took her in the tightest hug I could manage. She had protected me from myself now, more than a few times and I was not about to let her slip away from me. I knew from experience that it took a very special woman to deal with me and my issues, and here was one that not only dealt with them, or with me, but actually appreciated the way I was? I would never let her go. Never.

I love you so much.” I whispered into her ear.

The two of us remained like that for what seemed like an eternity. An entire conversation held between the two of us, with nothing more than the beating of our hearts.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The inside of the ship was dark. Their species needed no elevated light levels as we do. Thus, in their natural environment, they kept their lights down to about a third of what we’re used to. This, combined with the lower moisture level and cooler temperature, made the inside of their craft perhaps the eeriest place I had ever been. The normally grey and white color scheme that they used was now all but indistinguishable in the near darkness. Even my augmentations did little to negate this fact, my line of sight limited to perhaps just more than a set of body lengths, surely not much more than sixteen? All these facts lead one to believe that the ship was a lifeless husk, all but exposed to the cold, vacuum of space. Save for one fact; their vocalizations rang throughout the winding corridors, a spine-chilling cacophony of clicks, chirps and squeals that settled at the upper-edge of my hearing. I shuddered to think what their calls must sound like to her, with her higher hearing range? She must’ve been almost as terrified as I…almost.

As the first came from the shadows in front of me, I trembled. I tried not to, but I couldn’t help it. Ne Ni Nei do not show fear before their opponents, but I couldn’t help but fear this creature. This small, lithe creature, with large eyes terrified me. Why? Because I knew what they were capable of. I knew that under that silver-grey suit, behind those large, black eye covers lay a brutal, emotionless creature that knew no fear…no pain, no shame, no honor…no emotion whatsoever. Emotion was little more than a scientific curiosity to them. One that fascinated them in the most twisted way imaginable. Just the thought of their potential for cruelty made my blood run ice-cold! I looked down at my hand, which shook uncontrollably. Under other circumstances, I would’ve been ashamed to show such fear. However, to these creatures, such screaming body language meant nothing.

A bloodcurdling scream rang over their combined voices, silencing them for but a moment and caused my heart to sink. I knew that voice. A panicked fear overwhelmed my senses, forcing aside any sense of self-preservation and I leveled my gaze on the creature before me. A dark thought crossed my mind, I would bathe these walls in their blood, even if it cost me every drop of my own.

A single exhalation was the only warning the creature ever had. I leapt forward with a true, just fury. My superior size allowed me to close the distance in just a few heartbeats. Though smaller, it was far quicker than it looked and easily dodged the swift strikes thrown at it, before retaliating with a slash at my shoulder. Its claws ate through my robes, digging into the soft skin beneath. Only luck had saved my shoulder from vivisection. It, however, had erred. A quick right-hook and a left jab to the face sent it reeling. Before it could recover, I took its overlarge head in both hands and jarred its neck up and to the left, throwing its lifeless corpse into the nearby wall. It thudded to the metal floor with a sickly squish, leaving behind a gently glowing, neon-green trail dripping down the wall. One down, one hundred forty-seven to go – that is the number of their crew, 148. They were nothing if not predictable in this sense.

Without weapons, I surged onwards, into the awaiting Ebrinarus. Foe after foe fell before my fists, as I steamed forward. Persistence. That is what makes us of the Homo genus so terrifying. We may not have the strength of some of our foes, nor the speed, or agility...but once we put our minds to something, nothing, save death, can stop us. This attribute, I will acknowledge Sapiens also have in spades. However, all that persistence was beginning to take its toll. A cut here, a bruised rib there, and a deep laceration into my thigh were reminders that though I was winning, I was still mortal. Time was not in my favor in this fight. There were just too many of them. Not that it mattered, I had made a promise…

Twilight Sparkle, I will protect you with my life. Of that, you have my word…”

Twily!” I shouted, sprinting through halls now covered in neon gore.

Once before I had failed…never again, I promised myself. Failure was something I could not survive once more. Such a thing would surely kill me.

A last burst of speed and a desperate, flying knee to the chest was all the warning the last guard before my destination ever had of my coming. Even as it fell to the ground, I delivered the heel of my foot savagely into its throat, crushing the life out of it in one, brutal motion. Without wasting a moment, I slammed the controls to open the nearby door. As it leapt open, I batted away a pair of black-eyed scientist-types, holding cruel looking tools, sending each flying into the adjacent wall with a telekinetic burst.

My breath caught in my lungs as I beheld her motionless form upon the silvery table, beneath a bright, medical light. It was like reliving my worst nightmare all over again. Just the fear that she could be dead caused my stomach to drop out from underneath me. At that moment, all thought, all concern for my torn, bloodstained robes vanished and the fact that the flesh beneath fared little better concerned me no more. Without a thought, I leapt at her, enveloping her form in my arms…

Twily!” I exclaimed with eyes shut tight, brimming with tears.

Everything fell away with a shocking jolt of downward motion. I cradled her closely as the vacuum of space took us, but I knew it was in vain. I knew what was to come. I had seen it first hand. This is how I was to die? At least it would be a swift death in the pressureless vacuum of space, in the embrace of one I cared for more than myself. However, all I could think of was the fact that I had failed once more. In shock, my lungs vainly tried to draw air, but the negative pressure was just too much and they emptied painfully, forming a silent scream…

Asto!?” Her voice was the next thing I knew, breaking through the darkness.

Opening my eyes, I was greeted by the sight of her lavender coat in my face. The warm feeling of her forelegs pinning me tightly, defensively to her chest enveloped me. I felt chilled, covered in a cold sweat. The warmth of her body heat was the only one that I felt, in the puddle of my own perspiration. I threw my arms around her, pulling her even closer, before shuddering in elation. It was at that point that the tears began to flow…tears of both fear and joy.

Twily…” I whimpered, overjoyed to be in her embrace.

“It’s alright, it was just a nightmare.” She reassured me, gently loosening her hold on me, but still holding me close.

I took a shuddering breath, before nodding. It didn’t feel like a nightmare, it felt real…so real…

“I know, I know.” – I hugged her tightly – “Do me a favor?”

“Anything,” she said without a second thought.

“Hold me…just hold me, please?” I murmured, still trembling.

She said nothing, only tightened her grip on me subtly. At that moment, nothing in the world could’ve been more calming than the rhythmic thumping of her heart. That slow, steady beat reminded me that I was not alone…not anymore.

Author's Note:

"...With the turning of wheels and the stamping of feet, the procession advanced.
Onward toward their doom they marched with a smile and good cheer..."
~ Lines 6 & 7 of the Obet-o.

Bonus Song: