• Published 4th Apr 2020
  • 1,018 Views, 8 Comments

Heartbroken - Sunny_and_Auri_23



Twilight lost those she loves, and is afraid to love again...

  • ...
5
 8
 1,018

Chapter 1 - Moving On

I walked here and there. Canterlot to Ponyville. To Cloudsdale. Into the Canterlot gardens. Into the throne room. Into the School of Friendship. Into the castle. But nowhere seemed to calm the burning in my heart.

The hurt I felt couldn’t be consoled by anyone.

Not by anything.

Never.

“Princess Twilight?” Luster asked me. “Are you okay?”

I could never be okay. Everything was taken away from me. It didn’t matter that my heart beated; it didn’t matter that I was a princess; it didn’t matter that I was anything. It only mattered that I was with my friends. And now that I wasn’t, well… it didn’t matter whether or not I was alive or dead.

“Princess?” She asked again.

But there were other things, other people in my life now, yet those that mattered most were no longer here. What was the point of me being alive? Immortality was a curse that couldn’t be broken.

Everyone was dead. How could I live with this? Seeing the world go by before my eyes, yet be able to do nothing about it.

“Princess?” She repeated.

Luster was here. She was on the same quest that I had been on years ago. I had found friends. Maybe one day she would continue on her quest. But this burden of immortality broke my heart every day.

How I longed to be with those who weren’t here anymore.

“Twilight? Are you okay?” Luster was truly worried about me.

I glanced at her and put on a fake smile. “Of course Luster, I’m fine. Just a little tired.”

Her look of shock was replaced by one of curiosity. “Okay, Princess. But, um, if you don't mind me asking, what have you been thinking about? You seem to zone out a lot, and I’m getting freaked out.”

People worried about me. But I wasn’t worried about myself. “It’s fine. I’m fine, Luster. Why don’t you get back to Sunny and Auri?” I asked her. She was with her friends a lot.

But mine were gone. There were still the princesses. But knowing that I was going to be in this life forever and my best friends were never going to return. My brother. My parents.

“Yeah, I’m meeting them in around ten minutes, but are you sure you’ll be okay, Princess Twilight?” Luster asked me again.

No. I could never be okay. My friends were gone. My B.B.B.F.F was gone, and the ‘forever’ could never be true. “Of course, Luster, I’m fine. Go on to Sunny and Auri, and of course, Saphie. She just can’t stop reading books, can she? It kind of reminds me about myself.” I held tears in. “See you, Luster.” I waved.

“Okay then. Take care, Princess!” She waved, and ran off to her friends.

No matter how many friends I would make, they would never be as true as those I had made years ago.

I walked around the castle. Everything was perfect - from the curtains to the floor. There was none of Pinkie’s confetti. None of Rarity’s designs or random pieces of cloth here and there. None of Apple Jack’s applesauce or apples that she always bought with her. None of Rainbow Dash’s Wonderbolts posters. Not even Fluttershy’s critters.

I opened the memory book; they had given me it before they all, one by one, departed from the world.

There was one that was taken after we defeated Nightmare Moon. Pinkie, of course, had a party cannon, and we were all wearing the Elements of Harmony. I flicked to the next page, where we were all in dresses, designed by Rarity of course, at the Grand Galloping Gala. I flicked to the next, and the next, and tears were pouring down my cheeks.

The moments with my best friends were unforgettable. We did so much together. We even trusted our lives with each other. One by one, they all left. I flicked to the next - it was Cadence’s wedding. Well, her real wedding, after we defeated Queen Chrysalis.

We worked together. Whether it was one of their problems or one of my problems, if it was one of their problems, then it became our problem.

Even Spike was getting old. Soon, he would leave me as well. Number one assistant. The little brother Shining and I never realised we had. I would be left alone. Everyone who I ever cared about was going to leave me.

No-one but princesses were immortal. I couldn’t love without experiencing pain. I couldn’t make friends without experiencing pain. There was certain pain in everything I would do. Because I would have to see it die before me. The world would go by before me, and I wouldn’t be able to do anything.

Luster would go. Her friends would go. The cutie mark crusaders will go. Everyone would go. Yet I would still have to live in this cursed world. I would have to witness everyone go, yet my time could never come.

Yes, I could still die. But I couldn’t. Suicide wasn’t an option. Why wouldn’t someone just kill me?

Change. Everything would change. The people would change. Things would change. Yet there was me. I could never change. My thoughts would never change. True, the honesty, the loyalty, the kindness, the generosity and the laughter were still in the world. But my best friends weren’t here.

I would trade anything to be with them again. It was selfish. But I would trade my long life to have just one more day with them.

If I did tell Luster, she could never understand. Only the princesses could understand.

Rarity departed, then Rainbow Dash, then Fluttershy, then Pinkie Pie, followed by Apple Jack.

One after the other, they all left.

“Twilight?” Rarity asked. “Twilight, darling, promise me something.”
Tears were pouring down my cheeks. “Of course, Rarity…”
“Twilight, make sure you make friends. The Princess of Friendship needs to make friends, alright? Don’t be afraid to make better friends than us. We’ve all lived our lives, while you may not have an end. Pain comes all the time, darling, but there are so many more people out there. Promise me, one day, you will find another friend. If someone gives you love, don’t be afraid to take it. If someone loves you, return it, darling, alright?” She smiled.
My heart was racing. “But Rarity…”
“Promise me?” Rarity repeated, her breaths growing deeper and deeper.
“No Rarity, please…”
“Please Twilight. You know well who and who not to make friends with. Friends will be one of the most valuable things you will ever get. I don’t want you to be lonely, darling. So please, promise me.” Her breaths became deeper and deeper, and she looked at me anxiously. “Please Twilight.” A tear came down her cheek.
“Of course…” I forced myself to say.

She smiled, like the true purpose of life had been fulfilled. “Bye, everyone.” The five of us burst into tears.

“We love you Rarity…” Pinkie cried.

“We’ll miss you so much…” Fluttershy sobbed.

“Bye Rarity. We love you…” Apple Jack cried. “We’ll never forget that fashion of yours.”

“Rarity, I’ll miss you… and there are only a rare number of people who make me think that.” Tears started flowing down Rainbow Dash’s cheeks. “We’ll miss you.”

“Bye girls…” Rarity croaked. She closed her eyes, and departed from this world.

“Twilight?” Rainbow Dash asked.
“Hmm?”

She sighed. “Do you remember that time when I told you I never leave my friends hanging? Well, I think… today… I’m leaving you girls. Twilight, promise that you’ll find love somewhere. Whether that’s friendship or the - ew - other love, just find it, okay? Because I can’t leave my friends hanging, and whether they’re alive or dead, they’re still my friends. So make sure you do that, okay, Twi?”
“But Rainbow…” I sobbed.
“Twi, please.”
“But…”
Rainbow Dash shook her head. “Twi, death doesn’t allow me to be loyal, so just promise me, okay?”
“Okay…” I nodded.
“Okay Twi.” She took a deep breath. “Bye.”
“Rainbow, we’ll miss you…” Fluttershy sobbed.
“Rainbow, thanks for everything!” Pinkie cried.
“Rainbow, we’ll see who’s a better pony in the afterlife, okay?” Tears started falling down Apple Jack’s cheeks.
Rainbow laughed. “Blame death for my lack of loyalty.” She took one last breath. “Bye girls.”
And she also departed from this world.

“Twilight?” Fluttershy coughed. “Twilight, I need to tell you something.”
“Oh my gosh, Fluttershy, are you okay?” Fluttershy rarely talked. She loved her critters.
“Twilight, please, make sure you make friends, Twilight. Please. Kindness takes you to many places, Twilight, but death doesn’t listen to any kind act. There are more good people out there, Twilight. Be kind. Make friends Twilight. I love you. But promise me you will. I can’t stand seeing anyone sad…” She took a deep breath.
“Fluttershy, no…” I sighed, trying to keep the tears in.
“Twilight, you need to. Please.” She begged.
“Okay…” I managed to say.
“Good.” Fluttershy paused. “Bye…”
“Bye, Fluttershy. We’ll miss you…” Apple Jack sighed.
“Oh, Fluttershy, oh my gosh, no… thanks for everything!” Pinkie cried.
“Oh my gosh, Fluttershy…” Discord’s eyes widened.
“Bye… ” Fluttershy took one last breath before closing her eyes and leaving the world as well.

“Twilight? Twilight…” Pinkie Pie sighed. “You can’t be happy all the time, can you?”
I sighed. “No, you can’t, can you?”
“But Twilight, please, don’t be afraid to make friends. Sure, we’re the bestest friends you’ve ever met, but there are so many more out there. You can’t laugh and be happy all the time, but friends make it all better. Once we’re all gone then you need to make some friends, please Twilight, we care about you. At the end, it might hurt, but it’ll be worth it.” Pinkie took deeper and deeper breaths.
“But-”
“Please.”
“Of course.” I replied.
“Okay.” She took another deep breath. “Bye AJ.”
“Bye Pinkie.” Tears fell down Apple Jack’s cheeks.
“Bye Pinkie. Love you…” Cheese Sandwich gently pressed his lips against hers.
She smiled. “Bye…”
And Pinkie too departed.

“Twilight?” Apple Jack asked.
“AJ?” Twilight replied.
“Twilight, I’ve been honest to everyone, and it’s time for you to be honest with me. Please make more friends, Twilight. I’ve seen that look in your eyes. Please Twilight, be honest with me. Making friends is hard, but when you’re friends with someone, then it’s the best thing that could ever happen to you. The loss hurts, but you would rather have a good life with friends than a dull life without them.” She paused. “Promise me that you’ll make friends.”
“I promise, Apple Jack.” I sobbed.
“Honestly?”
“Honestly.” I agreed.
“Bye, then.” She smiled.
“Bye Apple Jack.” Apple Bloom cried.
“Yup.” Big Mac wiped a tear going down his cheek.
And she closed her eyes and left me too.

Author's Note:

Hi Everypony!
This is a solo write up (by Auri :twilightsmile:)
I was thinking about what Twilight would be thinking after she would outlive her friends :fluttercry: and I came up with this.
Thanks to Sunny for proof-reading and making the cover picture :raritywink:
More chapters coming :trollestia:...
I hope you like it!!! Feel free to give feedback.

- Auri :heart: