• Published 14th Mar 2020
  • 1,359 Views, 134 Comments

The Dark Knight Triumphs - TheClownPrinceofCrime



A critical incident prevents the Mane Six from standing up against a new threat. Will the Batman return to save Equestria or leave it to its destruction?

  • ...
2
 134
 1,359

Chapter 2: An Uncertain Princess

IN THE CRYSTAL EMPIRE


Early in the morning, the Mane Five and Spike arrived at the Crystal Empire from the train ride of Ponyville. As they were walking through the local town of the kingdom, they looked up at the castle, then the Crystal Heart, then the happy crystal ponies. It was supposed to be a big day particularly for the new alicorn princess, Twilight Sparkle.

However, she was not exactly happy during that day as many things flooded her mind. Two of those troubling thoughts prevailed over the others. “(Sigh) I don’t know about this, guys. I’m not even sure if I even know my unique purpose as a new princess.” Twilight worried.

“What do you mean, darling?” Rarity asked.

“I mean, Celestia and Luna have their unique functionalities: Celestia raises the sun, and Luna raises the moon. For me? I don’t even know. What can I possibly do?” Twilight complained.

“I’m sure you will find a way to find out, Twilight! I mean, Princess Celestia didn’t give you those alicorn wings for nothing, you know?” Spike assured.

“Spike’s right. She had to see something special in you to give you that awesome position! So don’t be uncertain.” Rainbow added.

Hearing her friends’ words of encouragement made her feel slightly better. “I guess you’re right.” Twilight sighed.

As they continued walking, they encountered a crystal Spike statute in the middle of the street. Seeing it made Spike proud as he recalled the day he helped save the empire from King Sombra. “Seems only yesterday that I saved this place from being totally destroyed! Hey, you guys remember that?” Spike said, looking up at his statue.

Dash groaned in annoyance. “You only mentioned it fifteen times on the train here.” Rainbow said, rolling her eyes.

“Yes, and we never hear a thing about you on your exploits.” Rarity retorted, smirking at Rainbow.

“Heh, point taken.” Rainbow smiled sheepishly.

“I’m glad you all wanted to come, but I don’t think it’ll be that exciting.” Twilight said. “I pretty much have to smile and wave as the dignitaries arrive.”

“Yes, but you get to smile and wave like a princess!” Rarity encouraged.

“How exactly is it different from smiling and waving like not a princess?” Applejack asked.

Rarity couldn’t come with an answer as she hasn’t thought about it. “It isn’t.” Twilight muttered, frowning.

“Come on, Twilight! I’m veeeeeeerrrryyy sure everything will be juuussst fine!” Pinkie assured, bouncing up and down.

“Well, if you say so...” Twilight sighed, continuing her walk to the palace for rendezvous. The Mane Four and Spike slowed their walk behind Twilight to begin their new discussion.

“Has anypony seen Fluttershy today?” Spike asked.

“I did not. I hope she is all right.” Rarity replied.

“Speaking of which, how come she didn’t come with us today?” Rainbow asked.

“She told me she couldn’t come with us due to her personal...issues which she didn’t specify.” Applejack answered. “Ah meant to tell y’all earlier at the train about that.”

“Does it have something to do with her prominent role in Discord’s grisly execution three years ago?” Pinkie asked. Her mention of the tragic incident made the others lower their heads somberly. “What is something I said?”

“To answer your question, Pinkie...I suppose it does have something to do with that. But in her defense, it was completely justified...although quite unorthodox. At least he is dead along with...you know who.” Rarity said.

“Yeah, good thing we cremated his body after Batman killed him.” Rainbow smiled. “But seriously, how is it that she is still depressed and mopey about all of that since it’s been three years already? Discord betrayed us for crying out loud!! He really deserved it!”

“Justice is one thing, Rainbow Dash, but outright, violent revenge will never bring our souls to peace...especially if those villains are our closest friends or family. That’s not our way, so ah can appreciate Batman for his moral code.” Applejack lectured.

“True, although it is unfortunate he too fell into that temptation.” Rarity added.

“Come on, guys! The dignitaries are almost here!” Pinkie shouted before zooming off. The ponies and dragon caught up with Twilight within the castle.

Much later, the crystal ponies were gathered along with Equestria’s surviving rulers: Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, and Prince Shining Armor. Before them came the oncoming dignitaries while the trumpets were blowing in royal salutation and welcome. Twilight stood on the balcony as she watched them approach , and she waited for her part to play.

“The Duke and Dutchess of Maretonia!” Flash Sentry announced.

The royals approached the rulers reverently before they bowed before them. Celestia, Luna, and Shining Armor returned the gesture. Then all five of them entered the doors of the castle. Twilight opened the banner on the castle with her magic.

She simply smiled (faked) and waved at them and the rest of the crystal ponies gathered.

“That was it?!” cried Spike. “Princess Celestia had you come all the way to the Crystal Empire just to do that?!” Twilight hung her head in depressed sorrow after hearing that.

Realizing his mistake, he vainly tried to cheer her up, “I mean...uh...wow! Um, very important thing you did! Right?” Spike nervously chuckled. Applejack bumped him on the head while glaring at him. The others didn’t approve his outburst either.


AT FLUTTERSHY’S COTTAGE


During that evening, within the cottage, Angel the bunny hopped around while holding a box of tissues. He stopped at the couch where the depressed yellow pegasus lay there while heavily crying her eyes out. Moved with compassion, he handed to her the tissue box.

She noticed the compassionate look on his face and tissues he offered. She gracefully received the box and patted him gently with her left wing. “(Sniff) Thank you, Angel. I appreciate it.” she said before blowing her nose.

Angel jumped on the couch and affectionately cuddled her to comfort her. The other animals including Harry the bear were sad to see her cry like that. They hovered over her to support her. “I appreciate you all for comforting me everyday. Because everyday, I always get horrible memories of what I did to...to...DISCORD!!” Fluttershy yelled, crying loudly. Her tears sprayed the animals so fluidly that Harry the bear had to use an umbrella to cover them all.

“I always think about what I could’ve done...to (sniff)...spare his life. I was...so...(sniff)...consumed by revenge and anger for what he did. I’ll...I will never forgive myself for this!!” Fluttershy cried.

“How can I call myself an element bearer of kindness if what I did was...unkind. I-I-I do not deserve that title and responsibility...(sniff)...at all.” Fluttershy muttered. Moments later, she closed her eyes as she was tired from her extreme sorrow all day and barely ate anything.

Around midnight, the Element of Kindness on the Tree of Harmony started to slowly crack and lose its color.