• Published 10th Feb 2021
  • 556 Views, 23 Comments

Like You, Love You - ChillyKitty



Lonely Love has confessed her love to many, but this is the first time she's confessed to a princess

  • ...
1
 23
 556

Applejack

They came upon the farm soon enough, each tree they passed sprouted vibrant red apples, making Lonely hungry just at the sight of them.

“Thanks again for helpin’, Lonely.” Applejack said as she stopped the cart and unbuckled the harness.

Lonely pushed a nearby bale of hay under the corner she was holding up before setting it down on top of it, “No problem.” She smiled, she rubbed her horn with the back of her hoof, it felt a bit worn from the lifting but not painful.

Applejack trotted around the cart picked up a basket of apples. From the looks of it, Applejack was returning from the market in town. Though it was a bit early to close up shop, Lonely didn’t know enough about apple sales to know if it’d be normal to close her stall early. She picked up one of the baskets in her magic grasp, following Applejack’s lead and setting it down next to the earth pony’s.

With a few trips back and forth the apples were all moved out of the cart and after a bit of Applejack’s analysis, the few bad ones that got bruised and damaged during the cart’s accident were discarded.

“Uh..” Applejack glanced up at the sky, Lonely did as well it seemed a bit past midday, “How’d ya like to join me inside?” she asked, “I uh, wanna get a snack before I get on to buckin, you wanna tart?”

Lonely thought for a moment, a part of her wanted to get back to the castle before Twilight did. The idea of hiding in her room until tomorrow seemed more appealing the more she remembered her confession.

“Just a quick one?” Applejack offered, snapping Lonely out of her thoughts.

She had no excuse to get herself back to the castle so she gave in, it was about lunchtime anyway and the Apple family's tarts were always delicious, “A tart sounds good, thanks.” She smiled weakly, hoping that Applejack didn’t see inner turmoil.

She apparently hadn’t, as Applejack turned quickly and trotted up to her door. She opened it and gestured for the unicorn to go in, “The tart’s are on the counter, Ah’ll be there in a jiffy.” She said as she shut the door too quickly for Lonely to object.

Lonely shrugged after a moment, “Weird.” She mumbled.

She wandered towards the counter and sure enough, there was a pile of tarts. She lifted one with her magic and took a bite; delicious as expected.

The door creaked open behind her as she took another bite. She glanced at the noise’s direction to see Applejack smiling awkwardly, “Sorry ‘bout that.”

“Oh, it’s no big deal,” Lonely said before finishing off her tart, “What was that about anyway?”

“Uhh..” Applejack glanced to the side, “Outhouse.”

“Ah,” Lonely spoke, “Well, I guess when you gotta go, you gotta go.” She looked back to the tarts, “Hey, could I have a second?”

“Eeyup.” Applejack confirmed, trotting towards Lonely to grab a tart of her own.

They sat at the table and each nibbled on their tarts for a silent few moments, “So..” Applejack started, “Nice weather we’re havin’?” she said awkwardly.

“Uh, yeah.” Lonely spoke, meeting Applejack’s level of awkwardness.

Neither pony had anything to say for a while, until Lonely stood, “Right.” she said, breaking the silence, “Thank you for the tart, I’m going to head out.” She should still be able to reach the castle before Twilight finished at the school if she left now, assuming Twilight was staying until all the classes were over atleast.

Applejack stood quickly, “Ya sure ya don’t wanna third?”

“Oh no, two’s enough, thanks again though.” She smiled, stepping to the door.

Applejack followed close behind, “Ah well, I could cook you up something else?” she sounded a bit uptight.

Something small clicked in her head, “Did you happen to see Twilight today?” Lonely asked.

“Uh, no. No. What makes ya say that?” she stepped in front of Lonely, blocking the unicorn from the door.

Lonely kept walking forward, forcing Applejack back, “It’s just that something happened today...” She tried not to let her thoughts dwell on the ‘something’ that had happened, “I was wondering if Twilight told you?” Could Twilight have asked Applejack to make sure Lonely was feeling okay after being rejected?

“No, what happened?” Applejack seemed to relax, not the relieved kind of relax, but the distracted kind. She seemed to actually not know.

Lonely felt herself relax as well, she shook her head, “It’s nothing. I’m asking because, and I mean no offense, but you’re acting weird.” she stated, “Is everything okay?”

And instantly, the earth pony looked stressed again, “I- Uh-”

There was a knock at the door.

Applejack let out the breath she was holding and turned to open it.

“Ang..” A pegasus painted, “Angel bunny..” She took a breath, “He’s hungry.. I’m out.. Of apples..”

The rabbit in question jumped off of Fluttershy’s back, an angry expression on his face.

“Ah see that.” Applejack replied, “Well, Ah have some to spare.”

“Oh, thank you!” She smiled and then looked over to the unicorn, “Lonely! I didn’t see you there. Would you like tea?”

“I.. what- wait.” Lonely looked to the floor as she processed all that just happened. Applejack was acting weird, really weird, but she hadn’t known about her confession. Then why was she trying to pamper Lonely with food? Were the tarts a new recipe and she was just too embarrassed to ask her to properly taste test them? No, that made no sense. She sighed and looked up to Fluttershy.

Right, Fluttershy. The pegasus seemed to have completely caught her breath now. Lonely had met Angel a few times, he was a sassy little bunny who was always able to get Fluttershy to do what he wanted, even fly all the way to Sweet Apple Acres in a rush for him.

And Fluttershy offered tea. “That’s a bit strange to offer out of no where.” Lonely said, mostly to herself but the pegasus heard.

“It's just that something came up and Discord couldn’t make it but I already have the tea party set up- or well,” she glanced down at the angry bunny, “Almost set up, no apples yet.” She giggled, “So I figured I’d invite you and Applejack since I’m here.”

Applejack trotted back with three apples to put in Fluttershy’s bag, “Sorry, sugarcube, them apples ain’t gon’ buck themselves.” She joked.

“Alright then, another time?” Fluttershy smiled, seeing Applejack nod before turning to Lonely, “And how about you?”

“I..” She wanted to go back to the castle before Twilight got back. Applejack didn’t know about the confession and thus Fluttershy probably didn’t know either, so if she said she needed to go back, she’d have to explain everything. She didn’t want to explain everything though. She focused on conjuring up any lie that’d get her back but nothing came to mind. She sighed in defeat, “Tea sounds nice.”

“Oh, good!” Fluttershy said sweetly, apparently not seeing Lonely's apprehension.

The two said their goodbyes to Applejack and headed out.

They trotted to Fluttershy’s cottage silently for a few minutes. They had some small talk when the silence overstayed its welcome. They didn't talk about anything too monumental, just about how Fluttershy had a few injured creatures she didn't want leave alone for long, and the fact that Lonely's mane was a bit disheveled. Luckily the talk was significantly less awkward than talking to Applejack.

“Do you know if anything’s going on with Applejack?” Lonely eventually asked.

“Hmm, no? Why do you ask?” Fluttershy responded.

“She was just... Acting weird, I guess.” She said, “It’s probably nothing.”

“Sometimes ponies do act unusual, but it's often over nothing.” Fluttershy said, “Though I’m sure if something was actually wrong, she would have told us.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right.” Lonely nodded.