• Published 29th Feb 2020
  • 5,699 Views, 68 Comments

Oh Dearest Father of Mine... - ExaltedFiction



What could possibly go wrong when a Human has to raise two immortal Alicorns fillies who possess unimaginable Godlike power? Better question, what COULDN'T go wrong?

  • ...
9
 68
 5,699

Chapter VI - Laying the Foundation

Apollyon slept soundly, a warm smile on his face and not a worry in sight, but as much as one would like to have that remain, it would not be that way.

His warm smile quickly faded away, allowing a frown to take over. He looked away, tossing and turning, panting heavily and constantly repeating somewhat familiar phrases in between breaths.

“...Help them... we have to…”

“...Won’t… leave you…”

“We… leave them…”

“The children… have to… help...”

One could only wonder what… disturbing dreams he was having to say such things.

The dreams seemed to have lightened their assault on his mind, for he rolled onto his back and ceased repeating such worrying sentences.


Groaning, Apollyon’s eyes slowly cracked open, breaking the crust that had rested there. Even with the blurred vision impairing his sight, he knew in an instant that something was wrong.

Eyes widened, he jolted up, fists clenched and arms at-the-ready. Eyes adjusting from his awakening, he realised he was back in his chambers.

The crimson skies he once burned within his mind was replaced by a stone ceiling. The endless desert was replaced with a confined stone room, and the darkness was burned away by the crystal lamps that dimly glowed.

Taking a deep breath, steadying his heart and calming his mind. He leaned back, keeping himself prompt up with the help of his elbow, before falling back onto the soft surface of his bed.

Glancing to the right, a wave of relief washed over him as he listened to the lullaby of his daughter’s delicate snoring.

Apollyon rubbed his eyes with a free hand as he lingered in his own world.

Was that just a dream?

Looking down at his left arm, clenching his fist and tensing up his muscles, feeling some weight on his forearm.

I can still feel… her head resting on my arm… Who was that filly…

His gaze then shifted to his staff, observing particles of psykana emit from the phoenix and the book.

That place… Do you hold knowledge of such a location?

For a moment, the psykana from the book surged, briefly lighting up the room before dying down.

Sighing depressingly, Apollyon sat up massaging his temples with a hand.

Pulling out his pocket watch, popping open the skeletal case to check the time. The mechanical ticking it emitted was music to his ears and the moving hands were a welcome sight.

“Five-thirty? Well, lucky me.” He sarcastically remarked, shutting the skeletal case and returning his watch to its respective pocket.

Swinging his legs off of the bed, feeling his feet make contact with the stone floor as he sat on the edge. Apollyon took a deep breath through his nose, placing his hands on his knees and squeezing them with all his deprived might.

Glancing to the lamp beside him, he quickly waved a hand in front of it, allowing light to slightly increase its domain over the room.

With the darkness burning away, Apollyon pushed himself off the bed, standing tall and reaching for the ceiling; stretching every part of his body, feeling the satisfying pop of his joints and the sweet release of tension in his muscles.

Satisfied with loose muscles and popped joints, he made his way over to his daughter's crib of peace. A warm smile formed on his face as he looked inside.

Celly, being the eldest, has seemed to have embraced her older sister instincts; wrapping her wings around Lulu and resting her head on her body, giving Lulu a nuzzle every now and then.

Oh, how I wished you could see this…

Reaching in to give them each a loving scratch behind the ears, he stopped himself halfway, using his other hand to pull it back.

Nope, let them sleep, they’ll need it.

Sighing happily at the image forever imprinted on his mind, he turned to the small pile of chests at the bottom of the bed. Getting a firm hold of his staff, briefly lifting it up in the air and tapping it onto the ground, the four large chests were each enveloped in an aura of psykana and then relocated to the side of the room, while his bag was tossed onto the bed.

That’s better. Now, let’s see here… Formal wear… Work wear… Luxuries… Baby stuff…

Knowing what was planned for the long day ahead, he opened up the chest filled with work wear. Inside were clothes that would make the eyes of a fashion designer burn. Plain looking tops that solely existed in the form of black, simple yet reliable work pants that come in a variety of plain, dull looking colours.

At least you’re not here to see this, I’ll never hear the end of it from you if you ever did.

However, a series of long drawn out yawns made Apollyon freeze up, along with the sounds of someone shifting about on their bed and some cute stretching sounds. He tensed up, tightening his hold of his staff and winching as he awaited for a pair of little anklebiters to awaken.

After a moment or two passed and his ears weren't bleeding from the sounds of crying, a huge wave of relief washed over him, for what little freedom he had left was left to himself… at least until they woke from their slumber.

Rolling his shoulders, attempting to make his shoulder blades make contact with each other, he retrieved a towel and a fresh set of clothes - that were arguably the same as the ones he was wearing - before setting his sights to the door that would surely lead to an adjacent room.

Upon pushing the door open, Apollyon was met with a decently large room, a chandelier hung from the ceiling, there a large brass tub that was built into the corner of the room with a stone exterior, and there were benches sitting on the sides of the room.

By the Gods, I really need to get a servant as soon as possible.

Looking to the nearby bench, there was a rectangular wooden display case. Contained within the confines of the case were several large magically imbued crystals, giving off a fiery orange glow.

An aura of psykana enveloped the case, floating over before his eyes of Apollyon, giving him a chance to examine such strange objects.

Inside was a note, one addressed to him. Upon opening the case and retrieving said note, he rolled his eyes as he read the contents.

“Dear Apollyon,

Please utilise the utmost of caution when handling these rare crystals, they’re very expensive and rare to come across, and unless you plan on retrieving them from the Dragon Isles then please use them sparingly, and for the love of Anima…

DO NOT LEAVE THEM OUT OF THE DISPLAY CASE FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME!

Your friend, Harpstrings

P.S. If you break or lose one of them, I’m going to shove my horn so far up your-“

“Yeah sure, whatever you say mum…” Apollyon retorted, folding the note and returning it to its respective place. Apollyon hungrily eyed the magical crystals inside, they gave off an aura of such power and promise; that it would manipulate the weak and tempt the strong willed into hoarding it.

Enveloping one of the crystals in his aura, he retrieved one before closing the case and setting them to the side with his set of fresh clothes. Looking inside the tub, grateful that it was already filled with water, he dropped the crystal in and in an instant the effects began to take place. The calm, undisturbed water began to bubble as the water temperature of the water quickly escalated.

Apollyon could feel the immense heat come from the tub, already imagining the satisfaction and relief it would bring to his body. Just simply washing off all the dirt, mud and sweat that stuck to his body would be tempting enough to just hop in with the crystal inside but alas he must wait.

Once the temperature of the water reached a suitable level, he extracted the crystal from the tub and returned it to its respective spot in the display case. Setting his staff to the side, he started to remove his filthy clothes before shutting the bathroom door.


When the door opened, a wave of steam exited the room along with a human, now cleansed from the filth that stuck to his body and ready to tackle the long and gruelling day ahead of him. Throwing on his boots that were covered in dry mud and dirt, he checked on his daughters, taking care in his steps as to not awake them from their peaceful slumber.

As expected, they continued to sleep, although this time; Celly’s head was flat on the bed while Lulu buried her entire face in the white alicorn’s neck. Smiling at the scene, Apollyon retrieved a pair of blankets from one of the chests, one midnight blue and one pure white before attempting to seperate them from each other.

But alas he failed, the moment Lulu felt that absence of warmth, her legs immediately reached out, seeking somepony for her to cuddle with. This, along with some whimpering from the filly, compelled Apollyon to stop and reconsider his actions.

Sighing, he watched as Lulu wrap her legs and wings around Celly, making his task ever more difficult.

Well that didn’t go according to plan.

After a minute or two of clearly thought out strategic and tactical know-how in its purest form, Apollyon carefully lifted them up simultaneously with an aura of psykana, swiftly sliding their blankets underneath them before letting them down.

A drop of sweat fell from his head, but his work was not done yet. Carefully, he began the will-challenging process of wrapping them together, slowly enveloping them in the warm confines of their blankets; one that was only matched by the warm embrace of a loving mother.

Hoping Lulu would be satisfied with no longer dealing with the absence of her sister, he enveloped them in his aura, before heading out the door and into the artificially lit hallway. Outside the windows, the surrounding land was filled with darkness, the sun had yet to rise and grace the land with its life giving rays, but thankfully that would soon change.

Sunlight, in its purest form began to emerge from over the horizon. Even from behind the windows, Apollyon could see the local fauna rally to the call of the sun, assembling together in its light. Endless hordes of rabbits, birds and squirrels emerged from the nearby forests and basked in the rays of the sun. Unfortunately for them, the hunters responded to the call of the sun as well. Three grey wolves emerged from the treelines, snarling, slobbering at the game laid before their hungering eyes.

At first sight of the wolves, every single prey ran off while the wolves took chase. Though as the three began to charge, the rest of the pack followed their lead for a wave of grey fur rushed out of forests and into the plain fields.

“Such is the way of life… cruel and unjust…”

Apollyon watched as the wolves chased their prey down, easily taking down the ones that were close or that panicked and ran into each other.

“One moment you're standing on your two legs, filled with nothing but hope and happiness, then the next…”

Once their prey got caught in the jaws of death, they felt only a moment of life before being torn apart by other members of the pack.

“...You’re on your knees, beaten and broken…”

Apollyon watched for a moment as the wolves hunted down their prey before letting rip a yawn. Apollyon soon lost interest in the one-sided conflict, spinning on his heels, walking off into the direction of the main hall, the sounds of his boots muffled by the red carpet and his ears catching wind of a series of ear splitting howls.

But as he walked, he floated Celly and Lulu in front of him, they remained in their slumber, unaware of the… ‘event’ that just occurred outside. A warm smile formed on Apollyon’s face and a tear threatened to break from his eyes.

“But, as harsh and cruel life may be, there is still beauty in it…”

Apollyon gave them a little scratch behind their ears, prompting them to flicker at his touch and subconsciously lean into his hand, a growing smile on their face.

“Would you want to take a guess of who taught me that, my dearest daughters of mine?”

Of course, he didn’t get much of a response, but to be honest he didn’t expect one. He could only chuckle as they nuzzled his hand, humming a sweet tune as they did.


As Apollyon reached the intersection of the main hall, he turned, passing by and ignoring the beautiful stained glass image of the alicorn but as he touched the bottom of the stairs, he slowed down before eventually coming to a halt.

As he stood there, as stiff and still as a statue, letting the ticking of his pocket watch echo throughout the silent room. He gripped his staff tighter before closing his eyes and gritting his teeth. After a couple of seconds passed, he pushed on, doing his best to ignore the divine images in the hall as they shone ever more with the glory of the sun behind them.

Making his way to the pile of chests near the entrance of the hall, his head low, only watching the movement of his feet and his daughters in their peaceful slumber. Upon reaching the chests, they were all lifted off the ground and into the air with his mental hold. Splitting them up and making way for himself to walk through unhindered with the chests following right behind.


The moment Apollyon stepped out into the front yard of the manor, he was immediately hit with the chilling air, forcing goosebumps to take form on his skin. The man took a deep breath, the cold air he inhaled was then let out in the form of mist; turning the man into a cloud-breathing dragon for the moment.

Apollyon's attention was pulled elsewhere as he heard a series of soft yawning, looking down to the source, he noticed that Celly and Lulu were stretching their limbs, however a little hindered by the blankets they were confined in. Thankfully, they hadn’t seemed to have noticed the sudden drop in temperature, their warm smiles were undisturbed and eyes remained still and shut.

“No time like the present.” Apollyon muttered, shivering slightly as he made his way to the edges of the Everfree.

Rays of sunlight shone upon the dense forests and lush land in the front yard, Apollon basked in the sun the moment he stood in its light, his skin warming up in its presence. As he basked in the sun, the sounds of movement and disturbance in the grass compelled him to open his eyes. He tensed up his muscles as the noise drew closer.

Apollyon held his staff up high and kept it there until the threat was close enough, however, just as when he was going to harshly embed it into the ground, he froze. Instead, letting the staff down slowly and turning about to face the… ‘individual’.

“Apollyon,” Apis yawned, a shiver travelling down his spine as he noticed the expression of anger about the human’s face, “I-I think we have a problem.”

“Would it happen to be about the soon-to-be-slaughtered bull in front of me?” Apollyon quizzed, making no attempt to hide the irritation in his voice.

“Bleh… That’s disgusting.” He stated, letting his tongue hang out, “Why would it be about that?”

“Approaching someone unannounced in an isolated area is one way to ensure yourself an express ticket to the afterlife, especially one with precious cargo.” Apollyon harshly said, turning about, ignoring the fear on the bull’s face before continuing his journey, “Now, what do you want Apis?”

Apis quickly ran up beside him, “W-well, did you hear the howling?”

“Yes,” Apollyon said, no signs of worry or concern in either his voice or on his face, “The local wolf pack have scored themselves quite the bounty, although numerous and small it would’ve been better than nothing.”

“And this doesn’t have you worried in the slightest?”

“No.”

“Why not? Are wolves dangerous to Humans?”

“By the Gods…” Apollyon sighed, “Yes, they are, but not on the scale as they would be to the other sapient species on Equus.”

“The… world?”

Facepalming, Apollyon groaned into his hand, muffled by it for the next few seconds. Once he was done, his hand fell to his side before his gaze fell upon the bull, “Sure, the world, named after one sole species and the four races - five if you include alicorns”

“So… I’m guessing the world isn’t called Equus”

“Nope, never was and never will be, as long as Humanity has their say.”

“Huh, so… why is the name official in the Empire? And why hasn’t humanity done anything about it yet?”

“Listen,” Apollyon groaned, “As much as I want to enlighten the minds of the inferior, we need to get started on what aragiable land we have”--Apollyon gestured to the land around them--”So, could you please get the others and Clarabelle, if you wouldn’t mind?”

After a moment of intense glaring at the human, Apis conceded, “Fine…” He muttered, “But those wolves are still a problem.”

“Relax, as long as I’m here the wolves will be no threat to us.”

“How can you be so sure?”

Now reaching the edge of the Everfree, Apollyon carefully set the chests down carefully and looked to the bull, “Trust me.” The man reassured, raising his staff a bit before embedding it into the ground.

“The reputation your species carries makes it impossible to trust you and you’re not making it easier,” Apis stated as fact, “But… I just have to put my faith in you.”

“Heh, see, if you only listened to Harpstrings more, then maybe yesterday could’ve been far smoother.”

“Wait how did-”

“But of course, everything in the past could’ve gone a lot smoother if people just listened to us.”

“Wait-”

“But then again, who would you rather listen to? A member of your own species or another of unknown origin but is clearly superior?”

“Hmm, I’m guessing the answer would vary depending on the… cattle?” Apis received a nod, “Well, without knowing anything about them, I would listen to my own.”

“As would we Apis,” Apollyon smirked, giving the bull some much needed relief, “As would we.”

Tapping the staff on the ground, several of the chests opened, revealing all sorts of materials and tools required for a functioning community. The males walked over to the chests, each retrieving items that would assist them in their goals.

With a free hand, Apollyon pulled out an axe, getting a feel of its weight before examining the tool. The axe was clearly made by a fine blacksmith; the cutting-edge seemed to have been freshly stoned, the metal used for the head was of fine quality and the handle and grip have shown no signs of use and the smooth texture of the wood felt amazing to Apollyon’s skin.

Sanded down smoothly and stoned to a sharp edge… Harpstrings does sure know where to get the finest tools…

While Apollyon was admiring the fine craftsmanship of the axe, Apis retrieved a plow specially designed for quadrupeds to pull. The plow, much like the axe in Apollyon’s grasp, was crafted at the same quality; the wooden collar was shaped with care, the shared part of the moldboard could cut through soil with ease and the rope connecting the moldboard and the collar was long and durable.

“Those blades will cut through soil with ease.” Apollyon remarked, getting the attention of Apis, “For us it wouldn’t make much of a difference but for the earth ponies peasants it would be the difference between day and night.”

“Earth ponies grow better crops?” Apis guessed

“Naturally, while humans…” Apollyon hesitated to finish his sentence, prompting Apis to raise an eyebrow “Eh, nevermind.”

“While humans what?”

“Don’t worry about it.”

“Human thing?”

“Heh,” Apollyon chuckled, “Yeah, a human thing.”

“Right…” The bull said skeptically, giving the man a suspicious look, “Listen, I don’t know how any-creature is going to find this place, we’re on the other side of the Everfree. You know; the most unnatural place known to life?”

Apollyon gave him a deadpan expression before shaking his head, disappointment in his eyes.

“D-did I say something wrong?”

“Yes. And don’t worry about whether other creatures find this place or not, because they will, and when they do I’m gonna make them an offer they can’t refuse.”

“Which is?”

With the axe in one hand and the staff in the other, Apollyon turned to make his way to the nearby trees, looking over his shoulder, “Vita sine tormentum” ((A) Life without torment) He said, taking his leave with his daughters still in his mental hold.

Apis watched as Apollyon left for a nearby set of trees, bewildered by the unknown tongue that Apollyon spoke. After a moment or two, Apis turned about, heading in the direction of where he laid rest yesterday, with only a single thought lingering about his head.

The heck did he just say?


When Apis returned with some of the females of his herd, he lent them a hoof, assisting them with putting on the collar before Apollyon ordered them to work on a nearby field. Naturally, most of them glared at the human but Apis pressed them to keep working, before he too joined them.

Not long after their arrival came Clarabelle, bags under her eyes and dragging her legs along the ground quite sluggishly. She first approached Apis, asking if they required anymore help, but the bull quickly dismissed her and directed her over to the human, who was hacking at some nearby trees with an axe in both hands.

“Is there something I can help you with… Apollyon?” She asked with a hint of annoyance in her voice.

The human had yet to reply, continuing to hack at the trees, his body was sweating profusely and the man was panting heavily. Just as he was about to take another swing at the tree, he missed his target as the moment the sounds of crying filled his ears, instead he hit just above the area he was cutting.

Cursing under his breath as he pulled out the axe from the tree, Apollyon looked to his fillies who appeared to be crying out for someone to comfort them. At first he shook his head, rather annoyed but soon it was replaced with laughter before he started to make his way to his fillies, walking past the seemingly forgotten Clarabelle, who remained motionless, but was staring daggers into the man.

Smiling happily, he picked up his staff that was laid beside them before enveloping them in his aura, lifting them up to his smiling face, “Celly, Lulu, please open your eyes.” He requested gently.

Yet, with their eyes remaining closed, they cried with a fine set of lungs, “Celly, Lulu, please open your eyes, father is here for you.”

Clarabelle, feeling that she wasn’t needed began to head back to Apis, but stopped as the sounds of crying lessened and grew softer. She glanced back at the trio, to see that the sister’s eyes were open, revealing their gleaming orbs that reflected Apollyon’s own. Soon, their cries were replaced with some soft giggling then some happily babbling as they both reached out for his face.

Taking a guess at what they wanted, Apollyon leaned forward to the fillies, satiating their curiosity as their hooves got hold of his face. The sisters laughed and giggled, either squishing or rubbing Apollyon cheeks while playing with his cobalt/golden aura enveloped hair.

Unfortunately for Apollyon, Lulu got a bit too curious, caught in the glow of his eyes, she removed her hooves from his cheeks and went for his exposed eye, “Argh!” He exclaimed, recoiling back and shielding his eye with a free hand.

A chill ran down Clarabelle’s spine as the man recoiled back, she kept glancing between the laughing sisters and the one-eyed man. An endless amount of thoughts raced through her mind, concern for the children as the human recovered. Tensing up, nostrils flaring, she lowered herself close to the ground, digging up the dirt with her hooves.

“Lulu…” Apollyon said, inspecting his hand with one eye, “That wasn’t very nice, you should know better than doing that.”

Clarabelle hesitated the moment he heard his voice, one that had control.

The Lulu giggled softly, babbling happily straight afterwards, “No, it wasn’t funny. Just do what your sister does, the eyes are off-limits.”

Upon hearing some soft regretful babbling, Apollyon nodded before looking at Clarabelle, raising an eyebrow at her current stance, “You might want to reconsider your actions cow” He declared boldly, “Have you said goodbye to the rest of your family? Made peace with your enemies?”

Her eyes widened as she relinquished her stance, although she remained tensed up, “I… thought-”

“Consider your next words carefully, you want to sleep well tonight… don’t you?

Slowing nodding, she looked to the side, a dispirited look about her face.

Apollyon smirked at the scene, taking her silence as an official answer, “Good, you can tend to them now. I still have work to do” He finished. Hearing his fillies stomachs grumble, he set the content fillies on the ground softly, before returning to the treeline, allowing Clarabelle to nurse the sisters.

Apis could only watch from a distance as the situation unfolded, glancing between the human and the cow, letting out a downcast sigh before returning to the field.


The sun was shining high in the sky while clouds blew past within their respective boundaries of the Everfree. Time flew by fast as everyone did their part, working hard and working together, tagging out with the others in reserve if they needed a break, but soon enough, the hard labour would take a physical toll on their bodies.

Upon seeing the decrease in productivity and hearing the requests to take a break, Apis cautiously approached the human, who was about to start hacking at a fresh tree, “Apollyon…” Apis called out, clearing his throat, drawing the attention of the man, ”W-we’ve been working hard-”

“Granted.” Apollyon interjected, dropping the axe to the floor before heading to a fallen tree that his staff was leaning on, passing by a perplexed bull who had his mouth left ajared.

“Wait, how’d you know what I was going to say?”

As the human took a seat, he shot Apis a deadpan look, “Apis… grab me an apple will you?” He asked, pointing to one of the opened chests filled with produce.

“But-”

“Just grab the apple bull.”

“F-fine.” Apis groaned, ignoring the chuckling human as he made his way to the chests filled with produce.

As the bull departed, Apollyon unchained the book from his staff, disregarding the ominous glowing as he began reading.

The front yard was filled with noise the moment Apis informed the females to take a break. Idle chatter, laughter and condemning were just some of the many things up in the air.

When Apis returned with some fruit, Apollyon dismissed him, telling him to join the others. The bull hesitantly agreed, glaring at the human suspiciously before walking over to Clarabelle.

Flipping over a page, taking a bite of an apple, Apollyon’s hearing deafened as the book briefly flashed before his eyes.

The sounds of chatter ceased.

“...Hello?”

Apollyon discontinued his chewing, feeling a shiver run down his spine.

“It’s nice to meet you too mr hooman.”

The human shot up, dropping his book and apple, turning around and quickly scanning the forest. As he did this, he was struck by an immense headache, compelling him to place his hands on his head. Groaning in pain, he scanned the dense forest again as his vision began to blur.

And that’s when he saw someone familiar.

The same grey filly from before, though this time she did not have her white sundress and flexible straw hat, “Hope?” He questioned, receiving a passive wave with a dispirited look on her face.

The moment he opened his mouth to say something, the filly turned tail and ran deeper into the forest.

“NO WAIT!” He shouted. Acting quickly before the filly got too far, he chained his book back to the staff before picking it up, raising above his head and embedding it into the ground. Taking off, vaulting over the fallen tree, ignoring Apis’ calls as he ran deeper into the dense woods.

Author's Note:

The end scene seem familiar to anyone?

Anyway, comments, theories, criticism are highly appreciated and dare I say encouraged?