• Published 21st May 2020
  • 1,027 Views, 39 Comments

How to punch a prince and be hailed as a hero. - Light Heart101



Book Knight was tired, bruised, frustrated, and sick of Blueblood's attitude, so he punched the prince. Who knew how much praise you could get for assault on royalty?

  • ...
3
 39
 1,027

Debates and allies.

“Dash, wake up!”

Rainbow Dash groaned as she heard somepony trying to nudge her awake, clearly whispering an inch away from her ear. “Ugh… five more minutes, and watch the body. It’s healing.” The speedster grumbled as she tried to keep sleeping.

“Dash! This is important!” The voice hissed again, shaking Dash harder.

Dash yelped in pain as she started yelling at the intruder. “Seriously! I had bones in my wing dislocated! Do you know how much that…” Dash’s angry rant was interrupted by a magical aura closing her mouth. Her eyes slowly adjusted to the darkness to see Twilight standing next to her bed, motioning her to be quiet.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t know that you were hurt. I just had to talk to you in private.” Twilight whispered urgently.

Dash sighed as she sat up in her bed. “Well, the painkillers wore off. Might as well. I’m guessing this is about the soap on the floor.”

“Dash!!!” Twilight whispered harshly as she was trying to make sure that they weren't heard. “You know that’s a dirty lie!”

“No, it isn’t. I say adding the soap makes it a clean one!” Dash quipped as she tried to lay back down, not wanting to put up with arguing with Twilight at the moment.

“Dash!!!” Twilight whined again, trying to stay calm as she knew that Dash was still her friend. “Dash, I have been looking through the lawbooks and you are in big danger.”

“Na. Those train jumpers shouldn’t be out on bail. Celestia assured me of it.” Dash said, not really taking Twilight seriously.

Twilight groaned as she was trying to save her friend’s career and good name. “Dash, if you try and pass this story and it falls apart, you’ll be charged for purgery. That’s your Wonderbolt dream ending in flames. Look, if you just withdraw your testimony, you will be safe.”

Dash’s face turned to a scowl as she looked at her friend. “Yeah. The whole nation will be happy to know that the one pony who saved the innocent lives on that train can go free. The whole Ponyville guard will love it.”

Twilight gritted her teeth as she was trying not to use her magic on her wounded friend. She wanted to help Dash, but she was afraid that her loyalty would fall into the wrong place. “Do you hate me so much that you would cast our friendship aside for Book?”

Dash sat up again as she gave Twilight a serious look. Twi recognized it from when she’d get stubborn about sticking with her friends. “Twi, I’d never hate you. Right now you hate Book for not being a pacifist like you. You know that Blueblood hit him while he was hurting, and who knows how much of the prince he’s put up with? Blueblood is no saint. Did Rarity forget to tell you that after the Galla?”

“That is beside the point! Blueblood has been respectful…”

“In front of you. Because you are an alicorn and Celestia’s best student, let alone a princess. You’re not a Wonderbolt or a guard. Take him out to eat and see how he treats the waiting staff to get an idea of what kind of jerk he is! Tell me, after you saw how he treated Book, who helped fight off those dogs, didn’t you think he was begging for a sucker punch?” Dash asked Twilight, looking stubborn as she rubbed her wounds.

“He was disrespecting us!”

“You two started it! Common ponies? Dash and a guard? You were just as bad as him!” Dash tried to point out. “So he didn't help settle the matter, but Book was once your friend! Why can’t you see past his hero gig?”

“Because the Shadow Knight is everything I stand against! He is a symbol of violence! Ponyville is a symbol of friendship!” Twilight nearly yelled, breathing heavily as her hatred was showing.

Dash looked scared as she saw how blinded Twilight was by her anger against Book. “Twi, what’s making you better than him right now?”

Twilight’s heart stopped when Dash asked that question. Her friend actually looked more concerned for her than Book at the moment. Before Twilight could process what happened, she heard the guards outside of the room heading towards the door, most likely to check on the noise. “W… we’ll talk later,” Twilight whispered before teleporting out of the room.

Dash winced as the guards burst into the room. “Ms. Dash, is something wrong? We thought we heard something.” One of them said as they were looking around the room.

Dash yawned as she laid back into the bed, not wanting to come up with another complicated lie. “It was nothing. I just want to go back to sleep.”

The guards looked embarrassed as they quickly started to file out of the room. “Oh, sorry. We’ll make sure you aren’t disturbed again.”

Dash simply waved them off as she tried to go back to sleep. “Sorry Twilight, but I have to stand with Book this time.” She whispered silently before falling back asleep.


“I can’t believe that we are stuck watching the same guy who cleared out that train.” Switch Blade said as he was standing guard alongside Hot Steel. “Book should have gotten a medal or something.”

Steel could only roll his eyes as he tried to explain the scenario to the rookie. “He supposedly punched out Blueblood.”

“Exactly! That should be worthy of a medal!” Switch insisted as he failed to hold a formal stance.

Steel sighed as he tried to keep a formal stance. “I don’t care who he punched. We are under orders to keep him secured until further notice.” Steel explained.

“That doesn’t mean I can’t be impressed by the guy.” Switch said before he heard Book walking out of the bathroom.

“I’d be focusing on yourself if I was you,” Book said bluntly as he was getting ready for breakfast. “With that lack of focus and stance, you’d be the first guard to fall if anything happens.”

Switch Blade was startled by Book’s insult to his lack of formality. “I… sorry?”

“Thanks for the apology. Now the royal guard’s standards have dropped since the last war. Thus, in order to be a decent guard, you need to be willing to go beyond basic training.” Book tried to explain to the rookie.

“Yeah, I heard stories about your training period. You got to beat up every guard in combat practice, along with some of the officers. They claimed that Shining Armor became an officer because he was one of the ponies who could beat you.” Steel said as he glanced at the ranking officer.

“Well, he was a stubborn fighter. His shields gave me a run for my money. Add that he often tried to beat me at getting fit, he became a great sparring partner. His magic and strength vs my skill and reflexes. We both had a few wins against each other, but he became captain because he had better leading skills.” Book explained, thinking about how skilled Shining was when they were in fights. He was always more brutish and less refined in his fighting skills, but he had a sharp head.

Switch Blade scoffed as he leaned against the door frame. “I thought it was because he was dating that princess.”

“Good point. Hitting her standards for a mate was a feat in itself. Still doesn’t mean much for your career.” Book quipped as he sat down at the table, waiting patiently for his food.

Steel looked curious as he thought about the stories he had heard. “I thought that you turned down your promotion to captain because you wanted to protect Ponyville?”

Book nodded as he cringed at his early career. “I did, and I managed to handle most of the little problems that happened. Unfortunately, most events that happen in that town aren’t too serious, and some of the high-level stuff that’s happened ended up being over my head. Nightmare Moon ticked me off because I was a graduating military school at the time. Discord and Tirek were out of my power range, and most of the other events required me to put my focus on protecting the people.”

“So, you aren’t too hot after all?” Switch asked the fighter.

“You didn’t see the train ride?” Book asked, looking rather stern as his eyes gave a slight glint. “Every pony who claims to be a guard needs to be willing to lay it all on the line. The best ones are willing to go the extra steps. Tell me, do you have any family? A marefriend perhaps?” Book asked with a cold tone, getting tired of his carefree attitude.

A cold chill went down Switch’s spine as the lieutenant hit a touchy topic. “Y… yeah… my parents.”

Book kept his unyielding stare as he found Switch’s motivation and started to put some pressure on it. “And you care about them?”

“O… of course.” Switch said as he went from relaxed to tense as he felt Book’s fiery eyes, feeling like they were staring into his soul.

“Then listen carefully. Every time you put on that armor you are making a promise to protect your people, your family. If some thug wants to attack, he’s attacking your family. Your job is to protect them at all costs. Don’t let the day your family is screaming for help be the day you start taking this job seriously. Do you understand?” Book asked the private sternly.

Steel was actually shocked to see the rookie going from cocky to scared as he slowly nodded. “Y… yes sir.” Switch said shakily.

“Now, stand up straight, keep both eyes open, and try to work on improving past the guard’s standards. After that, there may be a good guard in you yet.” Book ordered as he started to ease up on the scared rookie.

Steel watched as his partner silently went back to his post, looking like he was trying to think about what Book said to him. “Wow. No wonder you’re an officer.” Steel mused as he turned back to Book. “What is your rank again?”

“Lieutenant according to the military, general officer according to Ponyville’s official records, but I have also been called everything else by the ponies in town. Why do you ask?” Book asked as he was starting to wonder where his meal is at.

“Well, I have been up for a promotion for a while, and I kinda want to be an officer one day.” Steel admitted.

“Well, there are a few qualities that can land you that promotion if you have them. Tactics, authority, respect, and the ability to lead. I only had three of those, but most officers are lucky to have that many. It’s the ones without any of those that are a real pain.” Book explained as he noticed Blueblood walking into the room. “So don’t tell Blueblood.”

The guards both snapped to attention as Blueblood gave a puzzled look. “Don’t tell me what?”

Book gave a small grin as he knew he could poke at Blueblood’s pride without getting into too much trouble. “My little brother, Light Heart, is going to be taking your job.”

Blueblood scoffed at the thought of it, having briefly met Light before. “Oh please. That autistic alicorn knows as much politics as a monkey.”

“Exactly. He’s more qualified than you.” Book quipped with a grin, noticing the guards trying to hide their grins.

Blueblood grumbled as he glared at the fighter. “Is your entire family this obnoxious?”

Book nodded eagerly. “Mainly to ponies with egos too big for their lack of skills. Speaking of which, what warrants the visit?”

“I was just making sure that your cell is secure. I wouldn’t want you to ditch before the trial.” Blueblood said coldly as he was inspecting this rather spacious room, not liking how nice Book was having it.

“Why would I want to leave all of this? I’m rather thankful that you slipped on that bar of soap.” Book said with a chuckle as he was keeping his distance from the prince.

Blueblood wanted to yell at Book for his blatant lie, but he decided to be the bigger pony and simply flaunt his freedom. “I’m afraid that you are not grasping your situation. You are a prisoner, and I am a free pony! Look at this.” Blueblood boasted as he stepped into the doorway that led outside of the room and skipped into the room. “I can go in.” He then hopped out of the room. “I can go out.” He then repeated the process a few times to try and rub it in before raising his head in triumph. “That is a free pony.”

Book rolled his eyes at the petty display of power. “Very good. Now go do the hokey pokey with the other kids.”

Blueblood scowled at the fighter. “Lousy fighter.”

“There’s that sharp wit again.” Book quipped as the prince started to storm out of the room.

The guards looked at Book curiously as Steel spoke up. “How can you stand up to him?”

Book sighed as he leaned back. “One, he doesn’t intimidate me. Two, he can’t beat me up. Three, I hate him. It doesn’t get any simpler than that.”

Steel looked skeptical about such an explanation. “You’re lying. Your hatred has to have been more deep-rooted than that.”

Book chuckled a bit at his analysis. “Maybe you will get that promotion.”

As Book was starting to wonder if his food was ever going to come, he heard a group of ponies walking towards his room. Both of the guards straightened up as they were the first ones to see the ponies.

“M… ma’ams? What are you doing here?” Steel asked, looking confused.

“We just volunteered to take his food in, and give him some essentials.” Book heard a southern voice say before a more formal mare spoke after her.

“You wouldn’t have any problems with us going in and talking to Book and giving him a few little things, would you?” She asked sweetly, and almost manipulatively.

“W… well... he is allowed to have visitors, so I see no problem.” Switch said as he backed away to allow them inside.

Book was rather surprised as he saw Applejack, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie walking into his room, holding a few trays and bags.

Pinkie was bouncing to the table with three dining trays before setting them in front of Book. “Hi, edgy! I am your waiter today and we are going to have some fun!” She said with a giggle as she took the lids off of the trays. “For our first course, we have a family recipe from Applejack. Sweet Apple coleslaw. Then from the royal chef in this wonderful castle, eggplant parmesan. And finally, from me, the last course is a few souffles that took me forever to make. It’s like a nightmare to make these little cake-like things.”

Book’s eyes widened as he looked at the feast laid out for him. “Blueblood doesn’t eat this good!” Book exclaimed in shock.

“Not after a hearty meal like this.” Applejack said proudly.

“Why the hay are you all serving me a five-star lunch? I thought you’d take Twilight’s side in this matter.” Book said as he eagerly started to eat his coleslaw.

“Well, I do wish to support Twilight in her endeavors to keep ponies from being punched, but I have to make an exception on Blueblood.” Rarity admitted. “He has told me several times that he would be willing to forgive me for my childish actions if I’m willing to apologize. The gall of that excuse of a gentle-colt! Treating me like I’m some kind of…”

Book couldn’t hear the rest of what she was saying as she was huffing angrily. “Wow, I thought no civilian would hate Blueblood as bad as a guard or staff member.”

“You didn’t have to date him.” Rarity mumbled before adjusting her posture so she can appear calmer. “Also, Applejack and Pinkie are helping out.”

“Why? I thought they’d take Twilight’s side.” Book said curiously.

Applejack sighed as she took off her hat and brushed it off. “Normally I would, considering that Dash has a record of dumb stunts she’s pulled is nothing compared to this. However, in spite of Twilight’s persistence, I’d have to pick the lesser of two evils.” She admitted with a sigh. “Just don’t ask me to testify.”

Pinkie nodded eagerly as well. “YEAH! There is also the fact that if you win then Twilight can likely just get a little slap on the wrist due to princess benefits while if you lose Dash would be dishonorably discharged from the Wonderbolts which would crush her and make her mad at Twilight AND FOREVER TEAR OUR FRIENDSHIP APART!!! So yeah! I’m on your side too.” Pinkie finished sweetly, ignoring the fact that she screamed the worst-case scenario.

Book took a moment to process what she said before moving on to the second course of his meal with a more serious look. “I know. It’s not just my job on the line anymore. Dash is brash, but she had my back. As much as I prefer to work alone, I’m not leaving her out to dry.”

Rarity smiled as she got out her measuring tape. “Thank you, darling, and I wish that you and Twilight didn’t have that falling out between each other. You were a lovely couple.”

Book glared at her as he spoke sternly. “No offense, but we weren’t dating.”

Rarity blushed as she nodded, having the tape wrapped around his chest. “Oh, sorry for the misconception." She said before looking up into his emerald eyes. "You know... if you are available…”

“Only if I’m court-martialed.” Book insisted as Rarity was measuring his body. “I’m married to my job right now.”

“Oh… Well… the offer is always open if you ever get lonely.” Rarity offered with a wink as she was starting to write his measurements down.

“Ya already tried dating his younger brother, and now him. Do you ever not think about hot boys?” Applejack asked her fashionista.

“YES!!! I have a dozen dress designs to go over, let alone a suit, which I rarely ever make.” Rarity said as she finished going over Book’s measurements. “Just because I am the most social in our group, doesn’t mean that I have a ton of free time. Dating is a hobby, not my job.”

“Wait, you’re making me a suit?” Book asked in confusion.

“Well, no offense darling, but I’m guessing that the most formal thing you wear is your old guard uniform. You need something more official to show your professional nature to the courts. Like I always say, the first impression is always the most important.” Rarity explained as she started making some sketches. “Of course, I am restricted in some rights due to you being a military pony, but I promise that I will make a uniform that begs for respect!”

“Thanks.” Book said, still shocked by the way he was being treated. “Lately I feel like I have been promoted to royalty. Is this how Light felt when he got his wings?”

“I think it was more awkward and bowing than feasting and pampering.” Applejack pointed out.

“Yeah, but he’s still a nice guy, and not as violent as you. In fact, Fluttershy and Light are planning to talk to Blueblood once they can get a chance to talk to him.” Pinkie Pie added as she was bouncing on Book’s bed.

“Really? Well, Light never was the smartest one, but his heart is usually in the right place.” Book said, not liking the idea of what his brother would be putting up with. “When do you think Light and Shy will be able to talk to the prince?”

“When the plot calls for it.” Pinkie said cryptically, not bothering to give any kind of explanation before bouncing next to Book. “By the way, is it movie night tonight? I was listening to the guards and they seemed really excited about it.”

“Um…” Book was confused by her ranting, but he was able to process her question. “Well, it should be tonight… but I don’t know what the film is.”

“The Scarlet Saber.” Switch said before turning to the group. "The entire staff has been hyped for it all week."

“Oh! Sweet Celestia.” Book sighed as he put a hoof over his chest. “I haven’t seen a good movie like that for a long time.”

“Really? What’s the big deal with this one?” Applejack asked curiously, not used to seeing movies.

“It has more stars than Luna’s mane. It’s an action story about a heart-stealing rouge fighting against a corrupt duke. You get some sweet fighting scenes, some amazing story, and some decent romance on the side… At least, according to my family.” Book said as his excitement died off.

“Wait… you haven’t seen it?” Pinkie Pie asked with a gasp.

“N… No. I often stay busy, so I tend to miss stuff like going to the movies. I can’t exactly do that while I’m working.” Book said as he finally got to the souffle. “Too bad.”

Rarity let out a giggle as she petted Book’s back. “Oh Book. You always stress about the little details. If you wanted to see a film, then you just had to ask.” She said sweetly as she started walking towards the door.

“Are you serious?” Book asked in shock as he straightened up. “Are you getting me a movie?”

Rarity winked at him while walking towards the door. “Of course. Even a guard like you needs to be able to unwind every now and then. I think I can even get Dash in here so you can enjoy it with most of us.” Rarity offered before smiling. “As long as I can have a seat next to you.”

Book gave a small chuckle as he nodded. “Might as well, but do you know how rare it is for guards to get good movie nights like this? I doubt that you can just talk the film into your hooves.”

Rarity giggled again as she turned to Book. “You as a tactician should know that there is always a way. If I can’t get the film in here, then I’ll just get the whole movie night moved in here.” She said confidently like she expected this to be some easy feat.

Book stared at her in disbelief as he slowly lifted his spoon. “If you can do that, then you are smarter than any royal guard here.”

“Easy feat.” Applejack whispered into Book’s ear as Rarity strolled out of the room happily.

“Soooooo… do you think we could be heroes like you? Fighting crime and stuff like that?” Pinkie asked with a little giggle as she laid on the table in front of Book.

“Um… do you mean individually or…”

“The six of us, and maybe even Spike too! Like those comics! We got trapped in one once and it worked out well!” Pinkie said as she held up a Power Ponies comic. “I mean, we got captured and Spike had to save us, but a win is a win, right?”

Book sighed as he thought about it. “None of you have any proper combat or tactics training. You could forget about having Shy in combat. If she puts some work into it, she may be good at gathering intel. If you all tried doing my job now, a couple of you would be in a hospital before the month is out.”

Applejack crossed her hooves as she was thinking about the experienced hero. “And what if we got the training you did and took the job as seriously as we take our friendship missions?”

Book wiped his chin as he tried to think about that. They usually worked well together, which is better than he’s usually had it when he was in the guard. They have faced high-grade villains with mixed results, but if they were fully trained to fight?

“I’d be out of work in a week.”