• Published 16th Feb 2020
  • 391 Views, 12 Comments

StolenAlicorn's Sad Stories - Stolenalicorn



Sometimes I just have to write something kind of sad.

  • ...
1
 12
 391

Party Ponies are Supposed to be Happy

Party ponies are supposed to be happy. They aren't all the time, but there's always this satisfaction to what they do. Not that she didn't love seeing the smiles she brought to the faces of others. That was the best part about what she did. Seeing somepony smile, often for the first time that day.

But the happiness that brought her never lasted long.

The foal was winning this game of Dragon Pit, but they kept taking breaks to talk and tell each other jokes. There was no real hurry, everypony deserved to take as much time as they wanted. His smile alone brightened up the room and his laugh lifted the hearts of everypony to hear him.

He cheered as his dragon reached the goal. The celebration was short lived though as he began to cough.

Her heart stalled as she heard the coughing fit, but it was only a couple seconds and he smiled the moment it was done.

She reached out her wing and rubbed the top of his bald head and offered her own smile.

His eyes were half closed and he yawned as got more comfortable in his bed. “Will I see you tomorrow?” His tiny voice wavered slightly as he spoke.

“Of course, precious. Whatever you want.” She assured him. “Are you sleepy now?”

He nodded and rested his head on his pillow, his smile drifting away. “Sorry, it's just getting harder to stay awake.”

“No. No no no. Don't apologize, it's perfectly okay to be tired.” She said as she put away the game and the half eaten cake. “I'll see you later, okay.”

“Okay.” He said as he smiled again.

She left the cake, balloons, and streamers, but took the games and books. She'd need those for the next foal. A beautiful lilac filly just down the hall.

Once the door closed behind her she stopped and hid her face behind her wing. She couldn't be bothered to hear the hospital announcements as she stood shaking, desperate to stop crying. “Keep it together, filly. You've got to keep it together for them. They need you.”

With her other wing she pulled out a stained handkerchief and once again wiped her face clean. She'd long ago given up on wearing make up, the foals could always tell when she had been crying when she used to wear make up. All she wanted was to see the foals happy. She loved them all.

She hated her job,