• Published 16th Feb 2020
  • 387 Views, 12 Comments

StolenAlicorn's Sad Stories - Stolenalicorn



Sometimes I just have to write something kind of sad.

  • ...
1
 12
 387

Growing Old is Hard to do

He stat in his wheel chair looking out the window. Silver Stable really was the best retirement home he could have asked for. There was a vibrant community and loads of activities. He couldn't join in many of them, he was much older than most of the other residents and couldn't move around so well anymore.

There was a particularly nice earth pony mare who would come by and talk to him. She had moved there in the last couple years and was set to not stay in one place too long. She would sign up for any activity, do whatever was offered. Take what she liked, left the rest behind. His own children didn't have that drive for life.

A nurse came by to check on him, ask him if there's anything he wanted to go see. He was nice too, just like his grandson. “No thanks son, it's almost time for the mail. Don't want to miss it.”

“Of course sir. I'll see you in a little while.”

He went back to staring out the window, quietly wondering to himself what news he'd get today. Maybe his grandson would have decided to become a nurse like the stallion who had just come by. He was such a nice foal, anypony would be lucky to spend time with him. He would love to know just what the colt was up to these days.

A bird landed on the window sill as his neighbor opened her window to water the flowers. She always did that at the same time, it was his signal to make his way to the desk he had by the door.

His forelegs were sore as he slowly moved the wheels around and the chair inched towards the desk where he had his letter reading/writing station set up. Papers were neatly stacked by envelopes and stamps with a freshly sharpened pencil just off to the side.

A smile worked across his face as he heard the steps of the nurse carrying the mail.

“Anything for me today?” He asked when the nurse appeared in the doorway.

“Sorry Mr. Wheat, still no mail.” The nurse said, clearly trying to keep his voice upbeat, or at least neutral.

“Oh. That's alright, there's always tomorrow.”

“Did you have anything to send today?”

He gummed his lower lip a moment before shaking his head. “No, I'm going to write to them about the play tonight. What is it again?”

“Of Mice and Ponies.”

“Yeah, I remember that story. I really look forward to seeing how Miss Pages acts in it.” He chuckled quietly to himself. “She's quite the busy bee.”

“That she is sir. … I'll see you later.”

Once the nurse had moved further down the hall he collected his pencil, he may as well write what had happened since the last letter he sent. Maybe tomorrow he'd hear back.

There's always tomorrow.

---------***---------

August breeze heated the oatmeal and added a tablespoon of honey and a dash of cinnamon. Just how her grandmare liked it. A silver aura enveloped the bowl and gently lifted it from the counter as she walked towards the living room where her grandmare sat reading.

“Oh, thank you sweetie.” The elderly unicorn said as she took the bowl with her hooves and carefully began to eat. After a couple bites she looked up and smiled. “I love it, but I'm afraid I can't stay long. I have to go and see my son soon. Have you met him? He's such a nice young stallion.”

“Yes Grandma, I have. Dad's still in Canterlot with the EUP.”

The elderly mare smiled sweetly and shook her head. “Oh no, dear. My son. He's about your age, he's going to be an important wizard.”

“No, grandma. Dad couldn't make it as a wizard, he joined the EUP as a back up. But he's happy where he's at.”

“That's nice dear.”

The elderly mare had tuned out again. At least she wasn't talking about going to have lunch with her mother again. August hated lying to her grandmare, but even that was better than the heartache she had seen when she had to tell her grandmare that she was gone.

“Thank you … I'm sorry, I've forgotten your name. Getting old isn't for sissies, I'll tell you that.”

“I'm your grandfilly, August Breeze.” She answered with a patience gained only through repetition.

“My grandfilly? … Oh dear, I was just playing.” The elderly mare laughed just a bit too quickly.

August forced a smile for her grandmare, she didn't want to upset her further. “Would you like me to read your book to you while you eat your lunch.”

“Oh, that would be lovely dear.”

A silver aura surrounded the book as it lifted off the end table and August began to read. After several minutes her Grandmare put down the bowl and stood up, looking around and clicking her tongue.

“Are you looking for something Grandma?” August patiently asked.

“Oh, don't worry about me dear, go back to your book. I'm just looking for Cherry, little pup should be around here somewhere. I just know it.”

August closed her eyes and took a second to brace herself. Her Grandmare had loved that dog.

Here we go again.