• Published 10th Feb 2020
  • 1,372 Views, 170 Comments

Spellscribe - Solaris Vult



Harry Potter is living is life when he finds a portal to Equestria, a classic story, but this time with a twist, as the world he finds himself in is one far worse than his previous life... Welcome to the Equestrian Wasteland.

  • ...
7
 170
 1,372

Chapter 4: Moving On

“So… Harry Potter… Care to inform us about this ‘other world’ you came from.”

Harry, as she started to grow tired from researching this strange place, was quickly found by a pony in a metal suit and dragged into what looked suspiciously like an interrogation room, not that she had even been in one on Earth, simply seen them from those crime shows Petunia liked. The pony, a unicorn, had his horn light up and, unknown to the boy-turned-filly, had cast a spell on her that would inform the unicorn, one “Shockweld”, if there was any deceit or misinformation behind the pony’s claims.

Harry sighed, “Well, sir, for one, we aren’t ponies… I’ve already told this to you Star Paladin, instead, we are humans… We stand on two legs, we have a pair of arms with five fingers on each hand… Hold on, do you have paper and a pencil, I think I can draw one.”

The knight nodded, floating over a clipboard and pencil, the foal’s eyes tracked the tools with interest, “Well, I, umm, am not the best drawer, but we looked kinda like this…” The foal awkwardly tried to hold the writing utensil between her hooves, it took several tries, but eventually, a messy image of a… Thing… Was made. Like a pony, but standing on its hind hooves, which seemed to grow out slightly from the bottom of their legs, and forelegs that reached out and ended with claws, and a head that was apparently devoid of a snout, almost sounded like a hellhound or dragon. Shockweld’s spells hadn’t found the slightest trace of dishonesty, deception, or exaggeration in the foal’s description… He wouldn’t have believed it if he were a few years younger, but coming face-to-face with a cyber-hellhound that had grown a fifth head and wielded a talking book that shot exploding radioactive gumballs out of magically enchanted eyeballs scribbled on it had taught him to be a bit more open to seemingly unbelievable things… His fellow knights and paladins certainly didn’t believe him… Even if he still had the scar on his left side.

Harry continued, “We have busses, not the kind that fly in the sky, nor were they pulled by ponies,” Harry shook his head, thinking of some of the pre-war records he had browsed through, “No, they drove on the ground, using engines that run on petrol…” She continued, talking about airplanes, and trains, and everything she could remember, “I think the planet has around six or seven billion people, probably closer to eight, based on what some people said on the telly…”

After continuing for a few hours, the knight’s horn checking for any inconsistencies, finding none, he sighed, “It sounds quite a bit like pre-war Equestria… I will need to talk to the Star Paladin, return to your dorm, we’ll come up with something… So it was that Harry walked away, and the moment he stepped through the door, Crescent Bolt came from another one, “The foal was completely honest, I didn’t even detect any exaggeration to her claims, either that or she’s a damn good actor, enough to fool the spell, but I doubt it…”

“Yes…” There was a pause, “Her world is very much like Equestria before the war… We need to find that portal mirror again, and scout out this new world, if there’s a link between their world and ours we must be extremely careful…”

After processing the implications, the Knight agreed, “Yes, the creatures, these humans, are highly militaristic, and imperialistic, by the sounds of it, and we would never be able to take them on in an open fight, they simply have more numbers… And I certainly wouldn’t trust them as trade partners, even the friendliest of ponies has a hidden agenda or two… But imagine all the resources that world has…”

“Clean, contamination-free water, and industrial-scale power generation and production…” The Paladin continued, nodding.


Harry had just returned to the fillys dorm when Victory trotted up, “Hey Harry, I have a question?”

“Ask away, it’s not like I’ve done much more other than asking questions today…”

“How old are you?”

Harry looked at the filly, slightly confused, “Nine, I’ll be turning ten real soon, why?”

Victory looked a little concerned for a second, then shook her head, she trotted over to a drawer and retrieved… A box? A box with a handle, and some kind of brace, and what looked like a battery in the side, made of plastic and metal. “Take that, and be very careful where you point it, you’ll be needing one.”

“Why?”

At that moment, the door opened and a few familiar faces trotted in, the Knight from two days ago, Lightning Striker, his helmet was off to show a yellow mane and blue coat, the scribe Rosemary, and a face she didn’t want to see, Scribe Silver Heartstrings. “Yep, that would be why,” Victory Flame said.

“Hi Harry!” Silver said, “You ready for some field work!” Harry took notice of the huge gun on the Lightning’s side, the pair of plastic boxes much like a bigger version of what Harry had been handed, and the weird device made from glass, plastic, metal, and lots of coils and rings and spikes that Rosemary had with him.

Harry stared, dumbfounded and confused, “What?”

“Harry Potter, you are old enough to start your training as a field scribe, you will be accompanying us on a simple sweep-and-retrieve mission, we have a location, not far from here, that we’ll be scouting out… The location is expected to be of minimal danger, but Knight Lightning Striker will be our guard for this mission, you can never be too careful.”

The meaning of the words sank in… It was, kinda scary, but also very enticing, plus, she didn’t expect she had much of a choice in the matter, actually going outside into the wasteland that had already nearly killed her once, at least now though she would be fully conscious, used to walking on four legs, and protected.

Soon Harry found herself standing before a huge gear-shaped door that rolled out of the way to reveal a weird and alien sight… A barren land of rock and dust and ash and a cloudy grey sky as far as the eye can see, dotted with dead trees, distant mountains, one mountain shrouded in a pink haze, a tower on the very edge of the horizon that punched right into the layer of clouds above, a similar tower to the east but with an eerie green glow to it.. So, that was the wasteland, it was… Unique, exciting, a little depressing, but equally enticing, she felt herself wanting to go over toward the mountain in pink, or the towers, explore them, find out everything she could about them… She had never been allowed to learn much back home, school was interesting but dull… This place was completely new.

“Sad, isn’t it…” Silver muttered.

“It’s…” Harry paused, “Different… Unique…”

As they trotted through the dusty plains, Harry found herself with millions of questions, which Silver was happy to answer. “That’s Canterlot, very dangerous place, the pink stuff is real toxic, and it does some horrible things to those who somehow survive being submerged in it for too long… Oh, and those towers are called the SPP, we don’t know what they do, but they have an absolute shit-ton of automated security, so trying to get in from the surface-level is nigh impossible. And that tower over there is part of Hoofington, just to the east, don’t go there either, it’s just as dangerous as Canterlot but in a very different way.”

Silver continued, describing some of the dangers found in the wasteland, it was horrible, but a small part of Harry’s mind felt it intriguing, wondering how such things came to exist, what can be done about them, and if some of the dangers can be made to help the wasteland instead of hurt it.

They were soon approaching the burned-out husk of a factory, “Why are we here?” Harry asked.

“To find anything of value, we would have explored this place sooner but there were other locations of higher priority, it took a full year to plan that incursion into the Las Pegasus MAS hub where we found you.”

A small weight formed in Harry’s chest, realizing how lucky she was that the Steel Rangers had even found her.

“Halt,” Knight Lighting said. Everyone did at once, even Harry, hearing that tone of command that Vernon used on her when she needed something from Harry and there would be dire consequences if she didn’t comply. “Raiders, see them?”

Sure enough, if Harry squinted, she could see figures walking along the factory’s catwalks. Then she flinched at the sound of weapons being drawn… The strange tube-device on Scribe Rosemary’s side started glowing and making an eerie humming noise, and the boxes on Silver’s side slid forward on rails attached to her saddle, and a series of loud clicks could be heard from Lightning’s armor. Harry looked down at the device she had tried to stuff in a pocket on her new robes, the boxy thing which he had no idea how to hold properly, except with magic, which she had no idea how to use yet, and gulped nervously, “We- We don’t know if they’re bad ponies?”

Silver just shook her head, “Better safe than dead, Harry…”

Lightning Striker spoke up again, “Spread out, stick to trees, bushes, ditches, ruins, anywhere with cover and concealment, if you hear shooting, you are free to fire at will.”

Harry found herself practically glued to the side of Rosemary as they ducked into an ancient drainage ditch, filled with puddles of slime that Harry carefully avoided, memories of her face burning and itching coming back to her. Rosemary peeked around a corner, “Yep, definitely raiders, see their armor?” Harry craned her head and saw ponies wearing cobbled together leather and metal armor over old and torn clothing, manes falling apart much like her’s, although at least her’s was growing back rather fast, and looking generally disgusting.

“Y-Yeah…”

“Alright, Harry, I understand you don’t know how to use telekinesis yet, so-” Rosemary pulled the boxy device from Harry’s robes and stuffed its handle into her mouth, “Bite down to fire, pull the lever with your tongue to disable the safety, only point it at something you want dead, understand?” Harry tried to say something through the metal and plastic in her mouth but Rosemary turned away, pulling up his weapon. “Three… Two… One…”

There was an alien sound and a bluish-green bolt of energy lept from the end of Rosemary’s weapon faster than the eye could track leaving turquoise after-images floating in her vision, up on a catwalk, a raider pony seemed to dissolve into blue-green energy that stained the walls turquoise, there was a distant “pzeu-” sound and twin beams of pink light struck another raider in the neck, and her head fell away from her body. And then there came a loud series of “BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!” and three raiders simply vanished into red mist.

Harry fumbled with the device in her mouth and found the lever Rosemary was talking about, she had just gotten the safety disabled when she felt something hit her hard in the side, but it didn’t hurt too badly, Rosemary turned quickly and with another blast, ended whatever had just tried to hurt Harry. “Outside is clear, move in!” Rosemary shouted, he leapt up from the drainage ditch, pausing only to load some kind of battery into his weapon, and galloped forward. Harry followed as quickly as she could, not wanting to be left alone.

Soon she was inside the building, but Rosemary had clearly gone on without her, she was in a corridor with several bluish-green stains on the wall, and a pony which Harry could almost imagine was sleeping if not for the huge chunk missing from her side that was glowing and twisted with turquoise energy.

She came to an intersection in the corridor, and turned one way, when there came a beeping noise from beneath her hooves, a fear born from years of Vernon’s beatings and yellings whenever something was broken came screaming into the filly’s mind and she leapt backwards away from the beeping sound, which most likely saved her life, or at least her legs, as a moment later there was a bang! And the floor exploded sending splinters of concrete through the hall, she shook herself to clear her vision, her nose was dripping and her head hurt, she had been thrown against the wall and felt her side buckle in a way that send horrible pain up her side… There were footstep- Hoofsteps, Harry reminded herself, coming closer… Probably Silver, she must have something to help get rid of the pain… Instead, she turned her head and saw to unfamiliar ponies in spiked armor coming toward her, one carrying a baseball bat covered in barbed wire and another with a shovel.

“Help-” Harry began, but the baseball bat pony simply slammed the end of his bat into Harry’s side making burning pain lance up her ribs.

“Looks like we got some dumbass filly… Should we have some fun with her, or just beat her into slime?” The shovel pony said.

The box-weapon lay on the other side of the corridor from her, she needed it, she hoped it hadn’t been broken… She grunted and stumbled forward, and grabbed it in her teeth. “Look, the little bitch is trying to escape!” One of the raiders laughed, “What’s that little box thing?”

Harry pointed the end at the raider with the bat, who, realizing it must be some kind of weapon, moved forward and swung the bat to strike Harry in the side of the head, but he was too slow… Harry bit down, a beam of golden-yellow light lanced out from the box to the raider’s chest in a fraction of an instant, and his entire body burst into golden light… First his fur turned to ash, then a split-second later his skin turned to ash, then a split-second later his flesh turned to ash, and then his bone, and in a single second there was nothing but golden ashes coating the ground and Harry’s face, the pony’s bat and armor clattering to the ground.

Harry sat there, shaking, the second raider moved forward, shovel ready to impale the foal, but two beams of pink light lanced right through his body leaving glowing and smoking holes and he fell over dead. Silver Heartstrings ran through the far door, “I heard them shouting about a filly, I hope I wasn’t- Oh fuck!” Silver exclaimed, seeing the wounds on Harry, “Hold on, I got something for that,” She said, pulling out a needle and a vial of glowing red liquid.

Harry just sat there in the corner, shaking.

Author's Note:

Sorry that I've been away, I've been working on my own original story, instead of being stuck to fanfics, but I'm back, for now... May still be a while until the next chapter, but hope you enjoy!