• Published 14th Jan 2020
  • 866 Views, 24 Comments

Divergent Destinies - Leondude



What if Twilight and Sunset became friends way before they went down the paths they did in canon?

  • ...
4
 24
 866

Chapter 6 - Ten years later

Twilight sat at Joe's donut shop waiting for Sunset. She was accompanied by a small undead dragon named Spike. She named the dragon such due to the dark purple crystals embedded into his back looking like the quills of a hedgehog, with the quills sometimes being informally referred to as spikes because they were… well… spikey. The dragon's eyes, or eye since his right eye socket was empty, also blazed with a bright purple aura similar to Twilight's whenever she used magic. Unfortunately, half the flesh covering his body had withered away, exposing the ribs on the left side of his abdomen and the right side of his skull. Soon enough, they saw Sunset enter the shop. Upon spotting the two, she quickly made her way over to their table before taking a seat opposite the one Twilight sat at.

"It's been a while, Twilight," Sunset said.

"Well, you've been busy with your studies," Twilight replied "I've been busy with mine. You lose track of time."

"I think there's a spell in the Library of Magic that can fix that."

Sunset and Twilight chuckled.

"So, how have you been?" Sunset asked

"I've seen better days," Twilight replied bitterly.

"How so?"

"Still no sign of Kain. And, try as I might to bring ponies back from the dead and in full health, the longest one of them lasted before rotting away was only a mere week."

"What do you mean 'one of them'?"

Twilight gave a sheepish smile.

"I maaay have been visiting the Canterlot Cemetery and the Everfree Forest to look for test subjects so I can find a way to bring my parents back."

"I asked her why she didn't use me as a test subject," Spike butted in "But I gave it a pass after she told me what happened to the other ponies and, well, I'd like to keep whatever skin I have left."

"Well, that's enough about my depressing life," Twilight bluntly stated "How about you? I'm sure you have great stories to tell me. You know, being Celestia's protege and everything."

"I'm sorry to disappoint you, Twilight, but nothing eventful has happened recently. Celestia tasked me with looking over the Summer Sun Celebration. Boring, I know."

"I think it would be an honour."

"Try saying that if you also have the unenviable task of 'making friends'. I already got you, what would I need more friends for?"

"To live longer?" Twilight deadpanned.

"If you want to live longer, you could try being an undead abomination," Spike said, "worked for me."

Sunset looked at the undead dragon.

"For a necromantic construct, you are one cheeky little—"

"Sugary doughnuts" Joe interrupted as he placed a plate of doughnuts covered in lots of sugar.

"Where was I?" Sunset asked "Oh yeah, and to make matters worse, Nightmare Moon is prophesied to return on this very night! You'd think our ruling monarch would be more concerned about that than about my social life."

"Well, she did banish Nightmare Moon all by herself. I think she can handle it."

"And what if she can't? For all we know, Nightmare Moon might have been training with her Nightmare Forces while Celestia has been busy doing nothing but eating cake!"

"Wow, and I thought Twilight was neurotic," Spike deadpanned.

"I'm not neurotic!" Twilight said defensively.

Spike tilted his head and raised an eyelid at Twilight.

"Yes, I can be obsessive at times. Yes, I have anxiety that blows small situations out of proportion. Yes, I throw a fit when things don't go according to plan or disrupt an otherwise perfectly set routine. No, I am not neurotic!"

Everypony in the vicinity gave Twilight an odd look. Twilight ducked down her head in embarrassment.

"I also suffer from nightmares, but a lot of ponies do so that would be irrelevant," Twilight muttered.


It was the moment everypony has waited for. The Summer Sun Celebration, held in the centre of Ponyville for all to see. Sunset was standing in the biggest space she could find amidst the crowd. While waiting, a familiar pink pony she met while looking over the preparations zoomed right next to her.

"Isn't this exciting?" the pink pony asked, "are you excited? 'Cause I'm excited! I've never been so excited—well, except for the time that I saw you walking into town and I was like this but I mean really, who can top that?"

Sunset gave the pink pony next to her an annoyed look. She looked behind her and noticed her friend, Twilight Sparkle, had shown up, and with her little draconic lich in tow.

"Glad you could make it," Sunset said to Twilight.

"Who's your friend?" the pink pony asked.

"This is Twilight Sparkle," Sunset replied "She and I have been best friends since we were fillies. Well, when she was a filly. I was slightly older than her."

"You know, I think I know a bat-pony called Twilight and he sparkles. Or was it a vampire pony? A vampire bat-pony? No wait, I think he was a vampire bat-pony named Wood Cull, but he was sparkly and he liked to stay up at night and..."

As the pink pony continued to ramble, Twilight looked towards Sunset.

"Is she a friend of yours?" Twilight asked Sunset.

"More like a work colleague," Sunset deadpanned.

The birds at the front, composed by a yellow pegasus, whistled as the brass instruments played to gather everypony's attention. The spotlight shone onto Mayor Mare as she trotted onto the stage.

"Fillies and gentlecolts, as mayor of Ponyville, it is my great pleasure to announce the beginning of the Summer Sun Celebration!"

Everypony in the crowd cheered at that statement.

"In just a few moments, our town will witness the magic of the sunrise, and celebrate this, the longest day of the year! And now, it is my great honour to introduce to you the ruler of our land, the very pony who gives us the sun and the moon each and every day, the good, the wise, the bringer of harmony to all of Equestria. Princess Celestia!"

The curtains unveiled on where Celestia should be, but she was nowhere to be seen. As everypony wondered where the princess was, a strange mist of ethereal magic appeared where Celestia should be. The magic dissipated to reveal a black armoured alicorn with a mane like the night sky.

Nightmare Moon had returned to Equestria.

Author's Note:

Even after all this time, not much has changed.