• Published 14th Jan 2020
  • 866 Views, 24 Comments

Divergent Destinies - Leondude



What if Twilight and Sunset became friends way before they went down the paths they did in canon?

  • ...
4
 24
 866

Chapter 13 - A New Assignment

Twilight staggered towards Ponyville, having used all of her energy during her battle with Kain. It took her all night to travel all the way from the Everfree Forest towards the quaint little village. In the distance, she saw streamers and balloons in the air and heard crowds of ponies cheering. He travelled onward to investigate what all the commotion was about. As she wiggled away through the crowds of ponies, she saw Celestia sitting on her chariot with Luna by her side.

"Twilight!" she heard Spike cry out.

She turned around and was greeted by both Spike and Sunset giving her a great big hug. While she was glad to see her friends again, she was still sore from her fight with Kain.

"Ooh, sorry about that," Sunset said as she stopped hugging her.

"It's fine," Twilight said through gritted teeth.

"I thought you were a goner!" Spike said.

Twilight pointed to Spike's stitched-up arm, "Your arm looks different."

Spike looked at his arm, "Oh, yeah. It came loose while fighting Nightmare Moon. Good thing Sunset's new friends were there to help me out."

"Friends?" Twilight asked.

"They're more like work colleagues," Sunset replied.

"Oh, come on," Spike said, "You think they're friends too. You were smiling when Pinkie Pie challenged Nightmare Moon to a dance-off."

"Okay, I admit that was pretty funny," Sunset said before laughing.

Seeing Celestia and Luna getting off the chariot, Twilight immediately bowed, even though her legs were killing her. Spike and Sunset turned around and did the same.

"I knew you and your friends could do it," Celestia said to Sunset.

Spike nudged Sunset's side as if to suggest he told her so.

"Okay, yes, they're friends," Sunset whispered.

"Are you sure?" Twilight asked, "You only knew them for one night."

"Twilight has a point, Sunset," Celestia said, "Have you ever considered staying here to get to know them a little bit more?"

"I already got one of them to tell me an embarrassing secret," Sunset replied, "Trust me, I know them well enough."

"Perhaps but, since you and your friends represent the Elements of Harmony, don't you think you should make a better effort at being friends with them? Who knows, maybe your bond with them might become as strong as the one you have with Twilight."

Celestia pointed at Twilight, who had just collapsed from exhaustion.

"Twilight?" Celestia asked.

"She's fine," Sunset replied, "She had a rougher night than I did."

"I see," Celestia said, "Anyway, I am now tasking you with studying the magic of friendship and strengthening the bond between yourself and your new friends."

"Uh...Thank you, princess," Sunset said, hiding the fact that she was not looking forward to her new assignment, "I don't know what to say."


Twilight woke up inside Xindisious' cottage.

"Ah, good, you're awake," Xindisious said, "I thought using all of your power would have killed you."

Twilight tried to get up but immediately slumped back onto the table.

"Rest easy now, Miss Sparkle," Xindisious said, "You're fortunate to be in one piece after your battle with Kain."

"You saw that?" Twilight asked.

"Indeed," Xindisious replied, "I don't think I've seen such raw magical power since Star Swirl. So, how did it feel to finally unlock your true potential and use it against the monster that ruined your life?"

"I'm not sure," Twilight replied.

"You've been tracking him for years. Surely, you must have felt something. Maybe even a hint of satisfaction."

"Well, it does feel surreal. It was all a blur when we fought. Like I hadn't put any thought into what I was doing. I was just acting on instinct."

Xindisious levitated over a bowl of soup, "I'd recommend you drink this. I'm not sure the neurotoxins have left your system yet."

"How do you know Kain injected a neurotoxin into me?" Twilight asked.

"Lucky guess," Xindisious replied.

The door of the cottage opened, revealing Sunset and Spike.

"Is Twilight awake yet?" Sunset asked, "I need her help with something."

"She is awake," Xindisious replied, "But she still needs to rest. I'd give it two weeks before she's back to full health."

"What do you need help with?" Twilight asked.

"You know how Celestia tasked me with making friends?"

"Yes."

"Well, she thought I needed to know more about friendship and I now have to write what I learned about friendship on a weekly basis."

"Considering how you and your new friends are our only method against whatever great and terrible evil wishes to ravage our land, could you blame her for wanting to make sure those friendships last?" Xindisious dryly asked.

"Anyway, what have you learnt from your time being friends with me?" Sunset asked Twilight.

"That you have a bit of an ego problem," Twilight replied, "You have anger issues and, despite the fact that you don't like socializing with ponies, you're very good at wrapping them around your hoof."

As Xindisious and Spike quietly giggled, Sunset just stared unamused by Twilight's assessment of her, "I meant what do you know about friendship."

"I guess it changes people for the better," Twilight replied, "For example, do you still want to be an alicorn?"

"Not really," Sunset replied.

"So, without you as her friend, Sunset would turn into a power-hungry sociopath?" Spike asked.

"Given what Miss Sparkle had said about Miss Shimmer, I wouldn't be surprised if she was one anyway," Xindisious said before chuckling.

"Says the amoral necromancer," Sunset retorted.

"Would you rather me be an immoral necromancer?" Xindisious asked.

"Is there a difference?" Sunset asked sardonically.

"Actually, there is," Twilight replied, "Amorality is when you don't care about what's morally right or wrong. Immorality is when you go out of your way to do what is considered morally wrong. Though I do find it concerning that my teacher has no problem admitting he doesn't have a moral compass."

Xindisious shrugged, "Morality's in the eye of the beholder, Miss Sparkle. I have lived long enough to see the laws of the land change over time, why should I care about what others consider right or wrong?"

Author's Note:

Just a heads-up. Since Sunset obviously never left Equestria, it's safe to assume she didn't have the same character development she did from Rainbow Rocks onward.

Mind you, she is very noticeably friendly towards Twilight.

I dunno what I'm saying. I'm a bit drunk. But not to the point that my soeppling is...never mind. :twilightsmile: