• Published 19th Aug 2012
  • 1,672 Views, 28 Comments

Misjudged - GaiaLives



A Griffin by the name of Bronze winds up in the Everfree Forest after an unexpected encounter...

  • ...
1
 28
 1,672

Prologue

Gilda and I were soaring over the landscape towards Canterlot, pushing each other around while we raced to our destination. The city was still hours away but she insisted we raced and when she made up her mind, that was going to happen.

"Bronze, you think you can keep going?" She asked over the constant roar of the wind, she must have noticed my condition.

I looked around and spotted a small town in the distance, "Do you think we can get a drink?" I asked, pointing to the town

She looked in the direction of my claw and saw the town, she looked back at me with an angry expression, "No! Suck it up!" she roared,

I raised an eyebrow and sighed, I should have known better than to ask her. She wouldn't give a foal a bottle if it was screaming unless it meant her life.

I took a look at the town we were coming up on, the first thing that stuck out was a large pink building in the center of town. From where I was, the townsfolk looked like ants but I realized they were ponies.

Now, I have never had a problem with ponies, but Gilda, she just had a burning hatred for their kind for an unknown reason. I had asked numerous times, I've even bugged her to the point where she clawed me, but don't think I didn't claw her mean ass back. From the little I know, she would hang out with a filly named Rainbow Dash at flight school, but she ditched her one day for a stallion or something, but what do I know? I'm only her best friend and I don't know jack shit about her past friends. Don't get me wrong, Gilda can be a real bitch at times. But, If you really get to know her, she has a soft side. She hadn't always been like that, after flight school she began to think she was better then everyone, working herself to the limit every time she messed up, I think it was her parent though too, they weren't the nicest griffins ever.

"You know what Bronze, I'll let you stop." Gilda said, "Only for a minute though"

I tilted my wings to catch the air and slow me down effectively, but Gilda, being the daredevil she is, smashed right through a tree to slow her down, digging into the ground like a dud missile, bring the ground up around her.

I landed softly beside her, surveying my surroundings. I noticed we were in some kind of large forest, most likely the Everfree.

"You sure we should be here?" I asked, unsure about the dangerous creatures I had heard about.

She looked over to me and grinned mischievously, "Why? You chicken Bronze?"

She stood up on her hind legs and made her front arms into triangles, flapping them swiftly and making loud "Bawk, Bawk" noises, imitating a chicken,

I had an amazing idea hit my brain like a freight train, I smiled at her and walked towards her,

"Yeah Yeah, stop insulting yourself like that" I said, swinging a claw and slicing off one of the three feathers that stuck out from the top of her head,

I bent down and drank from a nearby pond, lapping up the cold water like some kind of dog.

I felt something push me from behind, throwing me into the ice cold water, drenching my cream colored coat and brown feathers, inhaling some of it as well. Even if it was the spring the water stayed as cold as it would in the winter.

I swam to the top of the water, taking a deep breath of air, spewing the water out of my beak and coughing like a sick old griffin.

Gilda however, was laughing hysterically at the edge of the pond, rolling and holding her rib cage. I however, was not amused. At All.

"Not Cool" I said before grabbing her by her claws and pulling her into the pond beside me, laughing from the look on her face. She came up seconds later, gasping for air like she had been underwater for an eternity, looking at her only made me laugh harder, the now two feathers that usually stuck out on her head were over her eyes, her beak was chattering from the sudden shock of the water temperature, her feathers looked down and her brown coat was drenched. but the most hilarious of all things was the look on her face, she was furious.

We got into a dunking competition, trying to keep each other under water like we were trying to kill each other, which she was probably was trying to do to me.

Then we heard a low, guttural growl from the forest.

We both stopped as if on cue, looking into the forest, which seemed to have gotten darker, making it seem mysterious, evil almost.

My mind went back a few years, me and Gilda were still kids, crowded around a small TV, watching the most nightmarish horror movie of all time, "The Forest 2"


Two mares were swimming in a small pond in the middle of an unknown forest, disobeying the warnings of the nature park owner to stay out of the forest.

"Strange things happen to the ponies who camp in this here forest" The owner had said,

The two mares only laughed, "What kind of things sir?" she asked, stifling a laugh,

The park owner looked around into the nearby wooded area, the camera angle had changed to inside of the forest, where heavy breathing was right behind the camera, telling us that someone was watching,

The camera went back to the owner and he leaned closer to the two mares, signaling them to come closer before speaking,

"They don't come out" He said, his voice completely serious,

The mares laughed and walked past him, joking about him as they walked towards their campsites, The camp owner only sighed and walked back to his post,

In the next scene the moon was full and the owner was sitting inside of his station, waiting for other campers.

Suddenly a loud snap! was heard from the forest, the owner noticed and got up out of the chair he was in and walked outside slowly, taking his flashlight but not his gun, when he appeared outside of the station he flicked on his flashlight and shined it in the forest, the camera followed the light until it came upon a large deer, which was grazing on some grass, the owner jumped at first but then sighed in relief.

The owner turned around and was met by the eyes of a tall figure, it stood up on its hind legs and had a black suit on, the thing had a empty, white face, no muzzle, no eyes, no nothing.

A scream was heard throughout the forest.

That's when mom walked in and took the movie out, telling us we shouldn't be watching that kind of stuff.


"Bronze" Gilda said, I snapping me back to reality.

I had missed a lot when I was thinking, a giant Manticore stood at the edge of the pond, breathing heavily and drooling.

"I promise you, we taste nothing like chicken" I said, trying to ward it off.

The monster only lunged at us with all of its might, making such a splash it threw both of us from the water and onto dry land,

"Let's go!" Gilda shouted, spreading her wings,

I got my wings read for flight but a lion paw grabbed me before I could take to the sky, it felt like it could smash my bones like toothpicks,

"Gilda!" I yelled, trying to speak through the intense crushing pain in my body.

The Griffin was already in the air, but was looking back at me, but she looked back to the sky, then to me, then back to the sky, then to me and stopped.

"I'm sorry" She muttered, I had barely heard the coward but I saw how her beak moved,

My eyes widened with fear as the griffin I once called my friend took off without even attempting to help, I turned to look at the monster that determined my fate, it roared in my face, making the feathers on the back of my neck stand up,

Then I hit a Tree.


Hey guys/gals! This is the first fic I've ever wrote, so constructive criticism is welcome, but please try to deliver it nicely and PLEASE don't leave any hateful comments.

- GaiaLives