• Published 23rd Dec 2019
  • 6,834 Views, 113 Comments

Twilight's NEW Friends - BelleofdaBall



Twilight Sparkle has made some new, VERY odd friends.

  • ...
9
 113
 6,834

The Way Down

Twilight couldn't keep her eyes off of the beautiful creature standing before her. She was unlike any animal she had ever seen in all of Equestria. "Eris?" she repeated the name the creature had given herself.

"Yes," Eris agreed. "Eris, the goddess of discord."

"Discord?" Twilight's ears flattened against her head as the word brought back memories of the draconequus who had wreaked havoc on Ponyville a few months before with his bizarre brand of chaos magic. Fortunately she and her friends (or rather her EX-friends, she realized) had been able to seal the mad god inside a stone prison and restore harmony.

Eris laughed as she saw the unicorn's face change from awe to anger. "Don't worry, my dear. I'm not connected in any way to the draconequus who attacked your town. He was a creature acting all on his own accord."

"Oh." Twilight's face softened. "Well, what are you doing here in Equestria anyway? I mean, you're clearly not a pony of any kind, so you're probably not from around here, are you?"

"Smart girl." Eris shifted into a misty cloud for a moment, then back into her regular form as she reappeared closer to Twilight. "You see, I'm an outcast from my own world."

"Your world? There's more than one world?"

"Oh yes, my little pony. There are many different worlds in the grand universe."

"Wow." Twilight's mind was blown. "I had read so many theories about more worlds other than Equestria. I've always wanted to be able to see them."

"And you will, one day," Eris promised.

"Why are you being so nice to me?" Twilight asked. "We just met."

Eris smiled. She shifted back into mist, then to her normal form, now almost touching nose-to-muzzle with Twilight. "Because I want to help you. I want to be your friend."

"Why?"

"Because you can help me, and I can help you. You see, after I left my world, I traveled through the various other worlds to find outcasts and misfits like me."

"Did you find them?"

"Oh yes. I found quite a few." Eris waved her hand, and an ebony door etched with red and purple emblems Twilight wasn't familiar with appeared before them. "And I want to introduce them to you."

Twilight gasped as the door appeared. "How did you..."

"I'm a goddess, remember?" The door opened, revealing a set of gray marble stairs leading down into what looked like a dark pit. "Shall we?"

Twilight gulped nervously as she looked down the stairs. "I don't know if I should. Princess Celestia would probably advise against this."

"Princess Celestia isn't here," Eris reminded her. "She abandoned you, just like your brother and friends did."

They didn't abandon me, I pushed them away, Twilight wanted to retort. But somehow, it felt like what the goddess was saying was somewhat true. The unicorn took in a deep breath and tentatively started walking down the steps. She got closer to the darkness that seemed to want to swallow her whole. About halfway down, it got too dark for her, so she lit up her horn, the magenta aura creating a light to help her see the next steps. Finally, after what felt like an eternity, she had reached the bottom.

"Good girl," Eris encouraged her. The goddess had clearly teleported herself to the bottom. Why she hadn't offered to take Twilight with her was beyond her. "Now, follow me." The goddess floated off down a dark gray marble tunnel.

Twilight felt a cold sense of dread begin to form in her gut. Every part of her brain was screaming that this was a bad idea. Well, I'm already down here, she decided. Might as well go all the way. She followed the goddess down the tunnel, a few steps behind.

After a while, Eris stopped in front of a door that looked like the one she had conjured up in the grand hall. "Ready to meet your new friends, Twilight?"

"I guess so," the unicorn replied meekly.

Eris smiled and petted the pony's blue, purple and pink mane. "Don't be so nervous. I know they'll love you." She pushed the door open.

Twilight followed Eris into the room. It was certainly different than what she had expected. Honestly, she wasn't quite sure just WHAT she had expected. A bloody torture chamber with dead bodies and severed limbs hanging from the ceiling? A den of ravenous flesh-eating monsters that could eat a pony in a single gulp? A coven with thirteen witches that would sacrifice Twilight to their bizarre pantheon in exchange for more power?

Nope; this was a very nice, very well lit meeting room. The walls and ceiling seemed to be made of light gray stone, and the floor was carpeted with soft pastel pink rugs. There were several shelves of books set up on three of the four walls, the fourth wall being where the door was. In the middle of the room was a large round table made of black obsidian, with matching chairs that each had a crimson cushion on the seat. Above the table was a beautiful chandelier that was made with crystals of every color known and a few unknown. Wouldn't Rarity love to see that, Twilight thought.

"Wait, I thought you said I would meet your friends in here," Twilight suddenly said aloud. "We're the only two in here. Where is everyone else?"

Eris smiled. "They'll be here soon."

Just then, the door opened, and a group of various creatures came in one by one. Twilight's eyes widened as she saw them come in. There was a rat that walked on his hindlegs and wore a black suit and red cape, a creature that looked like she was half octopus, half whatever creature Eris was, a cat that also walked on his hindlegs and wore a red suit and a monocle on his left eye, an Eris-like creature with pale green skin wearing a black robe and a tight horned cowl, a tiger that walked on all fours but seemed to possess an advanced intelligence than that of the tigers she knew Fluttershy cared for, a python that slithered like most pythons did but seemed to have the same intelligence (well, maybe not quite as much), and a trio of spotted hyenas that walked on all fours and still had intelligence (well, the female one did, the two males seemed to be quite dim-witted).

Eris smiled. "Twilight, welcome to the League of Extraordinary Misfits."