• Published 15th Dec 2019
  • 1,007 Views, 55 Comments

Scars To Her Beautiful - flutterJackdash



Sweetie and her friends are finally getting ready to graduate high school, and move on with their lives. Why is Silver so angry? Where is Diamond?

  • ...
3
 55
 1,007

Chapter 22 - Veritas Autem De

The rattling of the bus hardly registers to Sweetie as she stares out the window at the passing buildings and vehicles, though nothing keeps her attention for more than a second. The hard seat did its best to remind her of where she was, but she hardly cared about that either.

“Sweetie,” Scootaloo says from beside her, offering a nudge to her shoulder.

It gets no reaction from Sweetie, her gaze fixed firmly on nothing as they pass by many things.

“Ah’m sure Ms. Shimmer is home,” Apple Bloom offers, “Ain’t no reason to be scared.”

Sweetie still does not respond, now becoming somewhat transfixed by her own faint reflection in the thick glass of the window, rather than the varied pedestrians on their walks, the vehicles zipping past, or the diner they sped away from.

“You gotta get with the program, Sweetie,” Scootaloo says, “Gotta be ready to talk to Ms. Shimmer… You’re… you’re the one that knows Diamond, not us.”

Sweetie heaves a great sigh as she turns to Scootaloo, “I’ll be ready,” she replies.

“It’ll be awhile before we get there,” Scootaloo says, “Where is your head at right now?”

Sweetie sniffles, a haunted look passing over her features, “I… I keep thinking about Diamond lying dead in a bathroom somewhere, alone… and who knows how long before anyone finds out, shoot, before anyone starts looking for her…”

Scootaloo blinks, gripping Sweetie’s shoulders and looking straight into her eyes as she says, “She’s f-... uh… well… she’s alive, okay? We’re not too late, do you hear me?”

“I want to believe that so much, Scoot,” Sweetie says.

Scootaloo pulls the distraught girl into a hug.

“Dammit Sweetie,” she murmurs, “Hold yourself together for a bit longer, okay? We’ve gotta be able to talk when we get to Ms. Shimmer’s house. All of us.”

“Ah’ll be fine,” Apple Bloom says.

“I know,” Scootaloo answers, “I know… We’ll all be fine.”

“Why don’t we find somethin’ else to talk about?” Apple Bloom suggests. “Can’t always be talkin’ about the sad stuff, y’know?”

“Yeah,” Scootaloo agrees, “You’re getting better, AB. Do you think you’ll try any tricks soon?”

Apple Bloom shrugs, “Figured stayin’ upright was a trick on its own, really.”

“You seem to have it down,” Scootaloo says, “When’s the last time you landed on your ass?”

Apple Bloom rolls her eyes, “Dunno, like… a month ago?”

“See? Now try to do something new,” Scootaloo says, “Only way I ever learned was trying new things.”

“Reckon Ah can do that,” Apple Bloom, “If’n you’ll take me to the hospital when I break somethin’.”

“Oh sure,” Scootaloo says, “It might happen, but don’t treat it like a guarantee or you’re practically begging for it to happen.”

Sweetie sniffles, pulling back from the hug with Scootaloo.

“Thanks for not pushing me to do it,” Sweetie says.

“Oh no, you? No,” Scootaloo says with a shake of her head, “You uh… you’re not exactly the athletic sort, you know?”

Sweetie looks down, a bit put off.

“I don’t mean anything by that,” Scootaloo says, “Just saying that you’re… more of an artist, really. You write and sing really good. You could actually put that in danger if you aren’t careful. You know? Break a wrist, or your jaw if you land wrong or… or whatever… Just… I don’t want to be the reason you can’t sing, even if it’s only for a little while.”

Sweetie smiles tearfully at Scootaloo as she looks back up to her.

“Y’know,” Apple Bloom says, “Ah heard that song ya sang fer Diamond back at the Bowlin’ Alley. That was somethin’ else.”

“Oh but that wasn’t mine,” Sweetie says, “I just memorized a pop song I really love, and it made me think of her when I heard it. That’s all.”

“So?” Apple Bloom says, “Ya still sang it so darn good. Shame ya won’t go on sta-”

“No!” Sweetie squeaks, “I don’t do that, it’s… I can’t, okay? All those faces looking at me, expecting something amazing?”

“Which you’ll deliver and then some!” Scootaloo declares.

“But I won’t!” Sweetie says, “I’ll just freeze up, that’s all. I’m okay with not being in front of crowds. I’m fine with that.”

“Well then… at least let us put you online,” Scootaloo pleads.

“No!” Sweetie squeaks, “Don’t do that!”

“I wish you would try, at least,” Scootaloo says.

“I’m… not that good,” Sweetie says.

“You’re right,” Apple Bloom says with a nod.

“What?!” Scootaloo gasps.

“She ain’t that good, she’s much better. Oughtta be a star,” Apple Bloom concludes.

Scootaloo sighs, “Oh, right. Whew… I thought… nevermind what I thought… I agree!”

“Please stop,” Sweetie says, blushing at this.

“Aw fine,” Apple Bloom says, “Ah think this is our stop comin’ up anyhoo.”

“Oh,” Scootaloo says reaching up to pull the string to alert the driver to stop the bus.

It’s a matter of moments before the bus’s brakes squeal and it slows down and opens its doors to the street. Scootaloo, Sweetie, and Apple Bloom exit through the center door and onto the sidewalk. Scootaloo sets her skateboard down as soon as she sets foot on the sidewalk, and Apple Bloom elects to simply carry hers under her arm.

“So… she’s on Canterberry Commons?” Scootaloo asks.

“Eeyup,” Apple Bloom replies, “We walk that-a-way.” She points east of their current heading and starts in that direction.

Scootaloo nods, “Come on, Sweetie… We’re with you, okay?”

“Y-Yeah,” Sweetie says as she walks along with Apple Bloom while Scootaloo rolls slightly ahead of them, her short purple hair rustling in the passing breeze.

It’s only a matter of a few minutes before they arrive on the proper street, and the building, itself several stories tall, stands out easily enough. The grounds are in decent shape, at least moderately maintained. Passing across the covered parking lot, they find their way to the public walk to the door. The air smells of recently cut grass as they approach the main entrance, and find it is open.

Scootaloo kicks up her skateboard and catches it under her arm as they enter the building, the three of them immediately heading for an elevator and pressing the call button. It is not long before the elevator opens up and admits the three, next Apple Bloom presses the 5th floor button and waits for the doors to close.

The elevator travels up, silent but for the sound of the cables running on the outside. The three stair at the inside of the doors, clean brushed-steel doors and wooden panel half-walls enclosing them in a well-lit box.

The doors open, allowing them entry to the 5th floor hallway. The three exit onto the floor, looking around.

“Apartment 511,” Scootaloo recalls, “I’m pretty sure.”

Apple Bloom nods and starts to lead in that direction, pausing to step around a small boy playing on a ride-on fire truck toy. She waves and smiles at the boy, who seems bashful and does not reciprocate.

Sweetie and Scootaloo follow the farm girl around the boy and down the hall to their destination.

“Alright, are you ready Sweetie?” Scootaloo asks.

“No,” Sweetie admits, “But go ahead…”

“Yeah,” Apple Bloom says as she raises a fist and knocks on the door.


The door swings open. Twilight Sparkle stands such that she is blocking entry into her home, and staring out at whoever knocked on her door just after the noon.

“Ma’am,” Paxton says, holding his hat in his hands, “I’m Praxton Blackjack… and I wonder if we could talk?”