• Published 15th Dec 2019
  • 997 Views, 55 Comments

Scars To Her Beautiful - flutterJackdash



Sweetie and her friends are finally getting ready to graduate high school, and move on with their lives. Why is Silver so angry? Where is Diamond?

  • ...
3
 55
 997

Chapter 13 - Unwelcome Guest

Early morning the next day, there was a ring of the doorbell so early that not even Hondo Belle left for work yet, let alone Diamond Tiara for school.

Sweetie’s left eye cracked open, and she groaned as she stretched in a yawn. She’d had quite a dream last n-

She paused as she felt a weight on her side, and something was holding her other arm rather snugly.

Sweetie looked over and found Diamond clinging to her, “Wh...what?” Sweetie said barely above a whisper.

Sweetie’s question made Diamond’s face wince while she groaned. She was otherwise clearly too groggy to get up yet.

The doorbell rang again.

“It… wasn’t a dream?” Sweetie said, an actual whisper this time.

Sweetie Belle noticed that Diamond was actually smiling softly. She looked so peaceful as she slept beside her. A breath caught in Sweete’s throat as she caught herself thinking that Diamond looked beautiful with her hair a mess along with her cheeks and eyes puffy from sleep. At some point during the night, Diamond had shifted to snuggle more closely to Sweetie, nearly drooling on Sweetie’s chest as her head lay comfortably below Sweetie’s chin.

Sweetie’s face flushed red as she realized just how close and comfortable Diamond was. She felt Diamond’s shallow breaths pattering her neck.

Sweetie heard someone open the door downstairs. Probably her father. She figured he could take care of it.

Then Sweetie glanced at her clock, shaped like a cat with a bright blue digital display and set up on her dresser, and found it to read 6:02 in the morning.

Sweetie furrowed her eyebrows as she thought to herself, Too early for a sales call.

Diamond moaned in comfort and unconsciously rubbed herself a bit closer to Sweetie. After that, she yawned a bit. Sweetie swallowed, going still just to keep Diamond from waking up.

About a minute later, Diamond finally cracked her eyes open a bit after another yawn, then gazed at Sweetie through tightly squinted eyes that hadn’t adjusted to the morning sunlight yet. After that, she said, “Good morning, Sweetie Belle.”

“G-Good morning,” barely came out above a whisper from Sweetie.

Around this time, Sweetie started to hear her father’s footsteps coming up the stairs, but decided to ignore it for now because it probably had nothing to do with her. Besides, she wanted more cuddling time with Diamond. It probably wouldn’t happen again.

“Sorry I fell asleep in your bed,” Diamond apologized. “I just got so tired at the end there. I couldn’t make it to the shower or my … or rather, the other room.” She furrowed her eyebrows now. “I’m curious … is it your elder sister’s room that turned into a guest room?”

“No, it’s my old one,” Sweetie replied, “I moved into Rarity’s old room.”

“Oh,” Diamond responded with a blink.

Then, at that moment, Sweetie’s father knocked on her door and said, “Sweetie, we got a guest here who’s come to see Diamond. Is she still in your room?”

“Um… just a minute, Daddy!” Sweetie said as she clumsily pulled away from Diamond and pushed out of bed. She stumbled for a moment before catching the edge of her dresser. “We’re not dressed yet!”

“What?!” Diamond explained as she sat up on the bed. “Who could be here to see me? Nobody else knows that I’m here except Scootaloo and … Oh.” Diamond looked at the door. “Is it Sunset Shimmer who has come to take me to school?”

“No, it isn’t,” Hondo responded through the still closed door. “Why don’t you go downstairs and check it out yourself? When you’re ready, that is.”

“Who did it look like?” Diamond probed.

“Nobody I met before,” Hondo continued answering through the closed door “He’s some white guy with poofy pink hair and dressed in a blue business suit, complete with red striped necktie.”

“Huh.” Diamond blinked. “Doesn’t sound like anyone I’m familiar with either, but …” She cringed nervously. “The motif, at least, sounds familiar.”

“We’ll be down in a bit, Daddy! Can you keep him busy?” Sweetie called out.

“Sure thing, Hun. I’ll invite him into the living room and talk there. I do have to leave for work in about forty-five minutes, but you should be able to handle him before that time. I trust ya.”

“Thank you, Daddy! I love you!” Sweetie called back, before turning to Diamond, “You want to pick out some outfits?”

“Ah, sure, I guess,” Diamond said with uncertainty then blew aside some strands of her hair. “I look like a mess, don’t I? I also haven't showered yet. I probably smell like the sewers. I’m nervous to meet this guy under these conditions but it might also be rude to keep him waiting for too long.”

Diamond put a finger on her lips as she looked down with an expression that was a mix between discomfort and indecisive.

“Go ahead and hop in the shower, then. Just don’t take too long… I’ll uh… see if the guy wants something to drink.” Sweetie announced.

“Ah … sure, but Sweetie …” Diamond began in a warning tone, but hesitated so long that Sweetie had a chance to respond before Diamond finished her thought.

“You can use all of my stuff, it’s all in the pink bag below the sink,” Sweetie added, before tilting her head, “Something wrong?”

“I’m, ah … I’m worried. The kind of man your father described sounds like someone either one of my parents would have hired, and between the two … my mother is more likely.” Diamond’s eyes shrank with fright. “Which means she found me! I don’t know how, but she found me!”

“Um… You want me to get my daddy to get rid of him?” Sweetie asked.

“I don’t see how that would help. If this person is hired by my mother, she knows where I am … somehow. If we kick him out, it’s the police that might come knocking on the door next.”

“Why would she call the police?” Sweetie asked.

“Why do you think?” Diamond asked with rising frustration. “I ran away from home. No doubt my mother is trying to drag me back to her clutches.”

“I don’t know… that all sounds drastic…,” Sweetie said doubtfully.

“You don’t know my mother like I do!” Diamond wailed fearfully as she hugged a pillow close to her chest.

“Okay, calm down… I’m gonna go talk to Daddy, okay?” Sweetie said, trying to soothe Diamond. “You go ahead and shower, and try not to worry!”

“That’s easy for you to say!” Diamond wailed fearfully.

Sweetie raised an eyebrow, “You’re wasting time, Diamond. And so am I, now.” Sweetie grabbed her cane and hobbled out of her room.

“Sorry,” Diamond lamented sadly. “Okay. I’ll go shower.”


Sweetie gripped the railing tightly as she ever so slowly made her way down the stairs one step at a time, going sideways.

A petite woman, with pale yellow skin and an icy blue head of hair, wearing a light purple pantsuit with a red cravat, was sitting on the living room couch with her hands folded neatly on her lap. The woman’s head was on a pivot, taking in the decor of the house and the various paintings hug up around it.

“Oh, um… Hi?” Sweetie greeted as she managed her way down to the last step.

Upon saying that, the woman looked up at Sweetie greeted, “Oh, hi! I hope I’m not intruding or waking you up too early.” She placed her hand on her chest. “My name is Coco Pommel, and may I say what a lovely home you all have here?”

“You certainly may!” Hondo invited proudly. “Also, let me introduce my youngest daughter, Sweetie Belle.”

“...You’re not a man in a business suit,” Sweetie said flatly as she stepped down to the first floor.

“Oh, um,” Coco looked down shyly, “One of my employers, Mr. Svengallop, didn’t want to wait here for Diamond to come down, so he sent me here to wait in his place.”

“Yeah,” Hondo agreed with a roll of his eyes. “In his words, he said, ‘I can’t be bothered to wait around in a commoner’s house, so you wait here for me, Ms. Pommel, and be sure not to keep me waiting too long. Time is money.’” As he said that, Sweetie noticed he mimicked a very annoying accent that was probably a gross exaggeration.

“Right …” Coco agreed with an obviously embarrassed and ashamed expression. “I’m real sorry about him, Mister.”

Hondo blinked at Coco as he said in a light tone of objection, “You have nothing to be sorry for, Ms. Pommel. It isn’t your fault if your employer’s act like a bunch of jerks.” He placed his hand on his chest. “I’m a manager myself. I’ve worked with all kinds of people, and that experience has gifted me with a fairly accurate impression of other people. It is enough to say that I am as miffed at your employer as I find you innocent and adorable.”

“Oh, um, thank you … sir,” Coco said with a shy blush.

“Daddy, can we talk in the kitchen? Please?” Sweetie urged Hondo.

“Oh, sure, Hun.” Hondo stood up as he looked at Coco and bowed to her just a bit. “Please excuse me. Also, since I’m about to be in the kitchen anyway, do you want me to pour you something to drink while you wait?”

“Oh, that would be lovely!” Coco said brightly with a very grateful tone and look in her eyes. “Do you have any coffee or tea, perchance?”

“Certainly. I believe some coffee is brewing right now. How would you like it?” Hondo asked.

“Not too sweet and just a little bit of cream,” Coco answered, then blushed again. “If you don’t mind.”

“You got it.” Hondo then looked at his daughter and nodded towards the kitchen. After that, the two of them proceeded within it. Once there, he turned back to look at her and asked fairly brightly, “What’s on your mind, Sugar-plum?”

“Daddy, Diamond says she doesn’t trust this person. She doesn’t want to go anywhere with them. Do you think we can make them leave?” Sweetie asked.

A wise look sank into Hondo’s eyes as he asked, “By ‘this person’, you are referring to our guest’s employer?” he checked.

“I guess? I don’t know, I think so…” Sweetie said.

Hondo blew through his teeth as he looked out the kitchen with a tense look, then said to his daughter with a look of discomfort, “Look, Sweetheart, I don’t want to push Diamond into anything she’s not comfortable, but this person claimed he was hired by her mother to fetch her. And she has legal custody over Diamond. That makes this situation complicated.”

“B-but he doesn’t! And neither does Ms. Pommel! And they’re saying they were hired, but how do you know that’s even true?” Sweetie challenged.

Hondo nodded to his daughter as he said, “Now that is a good point. They may claim to work for Mrs. Rich but I suppose they brought no proof. We could challenge their authority by insisting we wait on word from either one of Diamond’s parents. A call, perhaps?” he compromised. “Until then, for as long as Diamond is in our home, I could just claim that I’m protecting her from potentially hostile strangers.”

Sweetie nodded, “Thank you, Daddy!” She hugged Hondo tightly. He hugged her tightly in return.

“Aw, Sugar-bear, you’re so good to your friends!” Hondo said proudly. “Now, I should go fix up Ms. Pommel’s coffee, and my own for that matter. For what it’s worth, at least she seems to have good manners, so I don’t mind treating her in return.”

Sweetie nodded, “Okay, but… You’re not going to let her take Diamond, are you?”

“If they can confirm that they are sent by either one of her parents, then I have no legal authority to stop them,” Hondo reported a bit glumly, then added more brightly, “However, until then, I intend to protect her and be a courteous host, although I do have to leave for work in a few minutes. Your mother will still be here, though, and I trust her judgment.”

Sweetie nodded, then hobbled back to the stairs, “I’m sorry Ms. Pommel! I still have to shower, and get ready for… uh… my day!”

“Oh, that’s okay!” Pommel assured, then looked concerned. “Do you want me to help you get up the stairs? It appears difficult for you, and I don’t mind.” She looked up the stairs. “For that matter, is that where you are going? I’m not sure where the showers are around here.”

“I… uh… That would be great, thank you,” Sweetie said as she stepped up onto the first step and gripped the railing.

“Sure!” Coco said brightly then immediately got up to help Sweetie up the stairs. “There you go,” Coco said soothingly along the way. “Nice and easy.”

“Thank you…” Sweetie said as the rest of the trip upstairs was made easier.

“Oh, no problem! I love to help,” Coco said sweetly.

“I think Daddy should have a cup of coffee ready for you,” Sweetie said.

“I’m pretty sure of that, too,” Coco agreed with a shy blush.

“Go ahead. I can manage from here. Thank you,” Sweetie said once they arrived at the landing.

“It was a pleasure to meet you, Sweetie Belle,” Coco said with a slight bow at Sweetie. “You really do have a lovely home here.”

“Oh, Thank you, Ms. Pommel,” Sweetie replied as she began to hobble her way back to her room.


Sweetie entered her own room, hobbling quickly until she arrived at her own cell phone which she swiftly picked up and used to autodial Sunset Shimmer. She sat on the edge of her bed, blushing lightly at the memory from the night before, and waited for Sunset to answer or for her voicemail to engage.

Sunset answered on the fourth ring.

“Hey, Sweetie Belle, what’s sup? Everything cool with you and Diamond?” Sunset asked pleasantly. “She should be getting ready for school soon.”

“She’s in the shower right now, but… uh… no, I don’t think everything is cool, exactly,” Sweetie began, nervousness creeping into her voice as she lowered it.

“Everything is not cool?” Sunset asked in concern. “Why? What’s sup? Is there anything I can do to help?”

“I don’t know. Some… guy… showed up here this morning,” Sweetie grunted, pausing as she got up to move to her window and look at the vehicles outside, forgetting to speak again as she did.

Sweetie’s jaw dropped as she saw a full-sized semi-truck had been parked in front of her home. Goodness, how was daddy going to get to work with that monstrosity in the way? It was on a narrow residential road, probably not meeting the clearance requirements.

“I… wow… So… this guy said he here to see Diamond… and… Diamond says she doesn’t trust him. I went downstairs, and he wasn’t there. He had sent in this nice woman to talk to us… But Diamond doesn’t want to go with him, and Daddy says his hands are kind of tied. I don’t know what to do.”

“Did her mother hire these people?” Sunset asked. “Or her father, for that matter?”

“Her mother, I think,” Sweetie said as she continued to gape at the huge truck.

“Hmm.” Sunset was silent for a little while as she thought.

“Ms. Shimmer? Are you there? Did I lose you?” she checked her phone, seeing the call was still connected, “Hello?”

“Yes-yes!” Sunset expressed quickly. “I’m still here. I’m just … thinking. Right now, I’m wondering how Spoiled Rich found out that her daughter was at your place so quickly. Didn’t she come over for the first time yesterday?”

“Diamond? Y-yes…,” Sweetie answered.

Sunset sighed, then said, “I suppose I shouldn’t question it too much. With the kind of resources her mother has to work with, I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised.

“Anyway, the question is what to do now.

“Um … you said Diamond is in the shower right now?” Sunset asked.

“Yes, she is,” Sweetie confirmed.

“And you have someone currently in the house, waiting for Diamond to get ready so she can leave with them?”

“Yes, that nice lady, Ms. Pommel,” Sweetie confirmed.

“Um … okay. Um … Sweetie, is there any way out of the house besides the front door? Like maybe somewhere in the backyard?”

“Yeah. Our backyard leads to the other road, and we can see Canterlot Heights sprawling from there,” Sweetie answered.

“Ooo!” Sunset said brightly. “That sounds nice.

“Anyway, here is what I want you to do. Get rid of that nice lady somehow. Tell her you guys need some privacy and Diamond is still getting ready. Stall them until I arrive. When I come, I’ll give you a call. At that time, we’ll sneak Diamond out the back yard. From there, I’ll take her somewhere safe.”

“Okay, okay. Yeah, okay. I’ll try. Thank you, Ms. Shimmer.” Sweetie paused., “Are you sure this is okay?”

“I’d be lying if I said I was sure, but I am determined to make this okay,” Sunset replied honestly. “I think Diamond has been through enough tragedy as it is. She ran away from home the day before yesterday so there must be some good reason for that. Until she’s willing to talk about what it is, I won’t pressure her, and I will protect her. You can count on that.”

“...Thank you, Ms. Shimmer. Thank you so much.” Sweetie exhaled a sigh of relief, a breath she hadn’t realized she’d been holding at all.

“You’re welcome, Sweetie Belle. Anytime.

“Anyway, I think I can get there in approximately eighteen minutes. Fortunately, I have a motorcycle so I can drive through some traffic and take a few shortcuts that normal cars can’t. Do you think you can stall them until then?”

“I’ll try. I won’t let Diamond down,” Sweetie said somberly.

“Alright. Sounds like a plan.

“I got to go. I’ll be over there as soon as I can and I’ll call you when I arrive. Keep your phone on you at all times,” Sunset instructed.

“Okay. I will.” Sweetie clicked the call off. After that, she engaged camera mode on her phone and snapped a picture of the large truck outside of her house. With that done, she sent that image to Principal Twilight’s phone along with the following text:

Sweetie Belle: I know I’m not even supposed to come to school, but this doesn’t seem legal to me.

Sweetie then pocketed her phone, hobbled down the hall to the bathroom door, and lightly knocked.

“Uh … yes? Who is it?” Diamond seemed to ask nervously over the noise of the shower. Her voice also echoed slightly due to the acoustics of the bathroom.

“Diamond? It’s just me, Sweetie. Just wanted to say, you can take your time. There’s no hurry,” Sweetie said as quietly as she could while still allowing Diamond to hear her over the sound of the running water.

“Uh … sure, but why? What’s going on?” Diamond asked with lowered volume to her own voice but, once again, due to the acoustics and Sweetie’s close range, she still heard Diamond.

“Trust me, okay?” Sweetie assured.

There was a moment’s hesitation, then she meekly replied, “Okay.”

Just then, Sweetie Belle heard a bleep, which was a signal that her phone received a text message. Sweetie blinked, then pulled out her phone from her pocket before checking the message.

Twilight: Isn’t that your neighborhood, Sweetie? What is that large truck doing there in front of your house?

Sweetie Belle: Yes, it is. Right outside my house. Someone claiming to have been hired by Spoiled Rich to pick up Diamond Tiara.

Twilight: Diamond is over at your house? Really? Oh that is wonderful! I guess she had a sleepover at your place?

Sweetie blushed as she typed her response: Sweetie Belle: Um, yes. We did. Now she’s terrified to go with that man.

“Sweetie? Is that you still out there?” Diamond asked within the shower.

“Sorry! Having trouble moving! I’ll be okay!” Sweetie called back as she recalled she was still supposed to usher Coco Pommel out of the house, so she made her way to the stairs and began to slowly and carefully climb down.

“You’re having trouble moving?!” Diamond asked within the bathroom in alarm.

At the same time, Sweetie received another text.

“I’m fine. I promise! Take your time!” she called back as she reached for her phone and missed the railing with her other hand. As a result, she stumbled forward. She cringed as her forward momentum overcame her balance and she tumbled down the stairs, making a rather loud racket all the way down. She finished with a squeak and a groan as she lay on her stomach at the foot of the stairs.

Upon seeing that, Coco screamed, startled, then rushed over to Sweetie Belle to see if the girl was alright.

“OH MY GOD! SWEETIE BELLE, ARE YOU ALRIGHT?! SAY SOMETHING!” Coco cried out in fright upon arrival to Sweetie Belle.

Shortly later, Sweetie’s parents also rushed into the living room.

“Sweetie?” Cookie noted with concern, then rushed over. “SWEETIE! Are you okay? Did’ja injure yourself?”

“What happened?” Hondo demanded to know as he rushed into the living room.

“Ugh…,” Sweetie could only groan in that moment. Her phone lay in front of her. The screen was smashed from hitting the wall just in front of her. She sighed, and pushed herself up weakly. “I‘m fine…” she said weakly, almost mumbling.

“I’m here, Sweetie. It’s okay,” Cookie said to her daughter soothingly as she bent down beside Sweetie and Coco. “Someone, call fo’ an ambulance.”

“I’ll do-” Coco began but cringed when she heard more stumbling noise upstairs. She looked in that direction to see what happened.

“That’s it. I’m calling out of work,” Hondo decided as he reached for his own phone, but froze midway into retrieving it when he looked up the stairs and witnessed Diamond crawling up to the edge of the top step, naked.

“Is Sweetie okay?” Diamond cried out in alarm from above.

Coco widened her eyes when she beheld Diamond’s nudity, although it was really only Diamond’s head and shoulders visible from this angle. Nevertheless, she blushed beat red as she shielded her sight of Diamond with a hand.

“She’s breathing,” Cookie reported as calmly as she could. She investigated her daughter for evidence of any further injuries. Sweetie certainly had some welts, some bruising, but nothing appeared to be broken. A small amount of blood was seeping from her left shoulder, and her eyepatch had been thrown off.

Cookie frowned in concern, then looked at Coco as she said, “Yeah, please call fo an ambulance.”

“Oh! Um, sure. Right away,” Coco acknowledged as she scrambled for her phone in her purse.

“And you,” Cookie pointed up at Diamond without looking at her, “finish taking yo show’uh. We’ll take care o Sweetie and make sha she we’cove’ahs.”

“You sure?” Diamond asked with lingering uncertainty and worry.

“Hello, this is Hondo Belle speaking,” Hondo said on his own phone. “Listen, I’m going to need you to cover my shift for the moment. I need to see to an emergency here.”

“It’s ringing,” Coco reported as she held her phone with shaking hands. She also regarded Sweetie with tears in her eyes that Sweetie didn’t expect to see from a stranger.

“Jast go!” Cookie ordered Diamond. “Finish get’in ready.”

“Um … okay,” Diamond acquiesced then reluctantly pulled back into the bathroom while dripping wet.

“My daughter fell down the stairs is what happened,” Hondo reported to the one on the phone, presumably to answer a question from the other end. Right after he said that, he flinched in pain and had to bring the phone back a few inches as the one on the other end of the line hollered in panic until Hondo cried back, “CALM DOWN and do as I instructed. You let me worry about my daughter. While I do that, you see to the store. Am I making myself clear?” A moment later, Hondo nodded. “Good. You do that.”

“Hello? Hello?” Coco cried out frantically on her end of the line. “This is Coco Pommel and I am, ah …” She squinted at Cookie. “What’s the address here again?”

“Jez ‘and me dah phone,” Cookie insisted. Coco cooperated. When she had the phone, Cookie reported what the situation was and where her house was located. She also described the condition her daughter was in when prompted.

Sweetie sighed, staring at her phone. She turned to her mother, saw she was on the phone, then looked to her father and decided he’d listen to her. “I’m sorry!”

Sweetie’s father looked at her then reached to affectionately pat her on the head as he said, “It’s alright, Sweetheart. You …” He trailed off as he looked forward at nothing. “Yes, that’s right. Just make sure the store is open on time. I don’t know when I’ll be ready, but I’m not abandoning my daughter during her time of need.”

Sweetie crawled to the wall, and sat against it, hanging her head.

“Oh Honey, be careful!” Cookie encouraged. “Try not tah move around tah much.”

Then Cookie widened her eyes and pressed her phone closer to her face as she asked, “What waz ‘at? Could ya repeat that?” she requested to the one on she was calling.

“Should we get an ice pack, or …” Coco asked with worry and uncertainty.

“I’m fine…” Sweetie tried to assure. “Even if we going somewhere, your employer has half the road blocked off. Could you get me a napkin or something?” Sweetie asked while indicating her bleeding shoulder.

“Oh my goodness!” Coco exclaimed as the fingers of her right hand neared her lips and her eyes grew small. “That’s true! We got to get that truck out of the way right away!”

Coco scrambled to her feet. “Just … stay there. I’ll go talk to them.”

“And I’ll go get some paper towels from the kitchen,” Hondo decided then left to do so while still holding his phone to his face.

“Do yo think that’s wise?” Cookie asked the one she was calling.

“What’s going on, Mom?” Sweetie asked, her voice strained through fatigue.

“Um, well, Honey … dah lady on dah phone thinks we can just drive ya to dah hospital ourselves since ya not unconscious, can move a bit, and not bleedin’ too bah’dly.” She looked to the exit of the house. “Of cowarse, dat would depend upon weddah we can drive around dat big ol’ truck in dah way.”

Sweetie swallowed. “We have to make sure Diamond gets to school. I did call Ms. Shimmer, and I told her about that thing in our front yard… She agreed to meet Diamond behind our yard.”

“Huh?” Cookie blinked at her daughter. “Aren’t they ‘ere tah collect Diamond? Aren’t day ‘ere tah take her tah school?”

“Mom, Diamond’s afraid of them,” Sweetie confessed.

“Afraid of them?” Cookie blinked in surprise at the exit again. “But, why would they …” She looked at her daughter, then gave her a soothing pat. “Hush now. Try not tah move or speak. We’ll get ya to the ‘ospital as soon as …” She trailed off as she looked over her shoulder as her husband returned, bent down, and gave his daughter some fresh paper towels.

“Here you go,” Hondo offered. “Easy, there. Are you in any pain, Sweet-kins?”

“Y-Yeah… A bit,” Sweetie admitted as she took the paper towels and pressed them to her shoulder beneath the sleeve of her shirt. “Mom, please… Diamond wasn’t want to go with them!”

Cookie regarded her daughter with thoughtful concern, then looked up at her husband when he spoke.

“Right now, you’re our top concern, Honey-bunch. We got to make sure you get well.”

Sweetie’s breathing became accelerated as she looked between both of her parents, “You’re going to let them take her!?”

“Honey, calm down!” Cookie urged. “Juz breathe normally.”

“I don’t see what we can do for Diamond if they have legal authority over her,” Hondo said painfully.

“Dear, yo not helping!” Cookie scolded her husband.

“She’s never even met them!” Sweetie cried, “and Ms. Shimmer’s coming! She’s on her way!”

“Here?” Hondo checked. “To pick up Diamond, I take it?”

“Why iz Diamond afraid o’ them?” Cookie asked in bewilderment. “That lady actually seemed rather nice. I’m still ‘olding onto her phone.”

“Please, can we make sure Diamond gets safely to Ms. Shimmer? Please? I don’t know why she doesn’t trust them, but I trust her to know herself,” Sweetie pleaded.

Hondo stood up straight as he rubbed the back of his head while he said, “I don’t know about the opinion of her mother for sure, but you made it clear to us what Diamond’s intentions are. Did you ask Diamond if she wanted to go with Ms. Shimmer instead?”

“I… um… no. I didn’t,” Sweetie admitted.

“‘Ow is she supposed to get tah us anyway wit’ ‘at big ol’ truck blockin’ our driveway?” Cookie complained. “Fo’ dat matt’tah, they’re blockin’ us, too, but I believe Ms. Pommel is currently talkin’ wit’ ‘em tah convince them tah get out of dah way. Honestly, dat big ol’ thing shouldn’t be ‘ere at all.”

“She’s got a motorcycle, Mom. She’s supposed to be coming up on the road past our backyard, not in front,” Sweetie quietly explained.

“Oh!” Cookie blinked. “Well, I s'pose dat could work.”

Hondo crossed his arms across his chest as he asked his daughter, “You’re planning on sneaking Diamond out the backyard?”

“We really shouldn’t be discussing this right now when Sweetie needs ‘er rest,” Cookie urged worriedly.

Sweetie grunted, suddenly pushing herself up off the floor and going for the stairs.

“Hey! Lie still!” Cookie insisted. “Yo going tah hurt yo’self more, Honey!”

“I don’t care! I’m not letting them hurt her!” Sweetie cried as she set a foot on the first step and wrapped a hand around the railing.

“Ya can’t be any ‘elp tah ‘er if yo get hurt yo’self!” Cookie argued sharply. “Is dat what she would want?”

“I’ll go ask her!” Sweetie cried out in response as she set her other foot on the next step and carefully moved her body forward with it.

“No, Sweetie, sit down,” Hondo commanded firmly as he put his hands on his daughter's shoulders in order to gently guide her down. “If you do, then I’ll go talk to her, only … what do you want me to say? If she wants to go with Ms. Shimmer instead of them?”

Sweetie let her father gently sit her down on the steps while she looked up at him, “Daddy, yes. Ask her that… And… Let her know I’m okay, please? And that it isn’t her fault, at all.”

“Sure. I can do that, Sweetness. Be right back.”

Hondo only made it up to the second step when his wife complained, “WAIT! Ya hafta get ready tah take Sweetie Belle to dah ‘ospital.”

He looked back at his wife over his shoulder and said, “I was already dressed for work, so I’m ready to take her as soon as that thing,” he pointed at the exit but everyone in the room knew he meant the large semi-truck and trailer it hauled, “is out of the way.

“In the meantime, since I’m blocked anyway, I’ll set our daughter at ease and talk to Diamond. We’ll see if she wants to go with Ms. Shimmer or not. I’d much prefer to give her the choice rather than having us decide that for her. We’re not her parents or legal guardians, so as far as I am concerned, only one person in this house can legally speak for her fate.”

With that, he resumed his way up the stairs.

Outside, they finally heard the semi-truck’s engine start up.

“Thank you, daddy,” Sweetie said, sniffling.

“Anytime, Sweet-kins,” her father called back to her while he continued his way up.

Sweetie slumped over, leaning against the wall with her eyes closed, “I’m… feeling very tired…”

“Lie down and rest, Hun,” Cookie encouraged. “Ya had a nasty fall, so ya need yer rest.” She teared up a little bit as she brushed some of her daughter’s hair away from her face. “Ya need tah learn tah stop ‘urting yo’self. It breaks mah heart tah see ya in pain, Honey.”

“I… I didn’t do it on purpose,” Sweetie said through a gasp, “Can you help me to the couch?”

Cookie frowned. “I’m afraid tah move you. Are ya sure?”

“I can’t lie down on the stairs… Mom…” Sweetie said, her breathing becoming mildly labored.

“True,” Cookie agreed. “Alright, then, Put yer arm ov’ah my should’ah. I’ll ‘elp ya up n’ deliv’ah ya back tah the couch.”

Sweetie nodded and reached an arm up, guiding it over Cookie’s shoulder, then grasped the railing with her other hand and pulling herself up, “I.. I don’t remember feeling this weak before…”

“Yer usually not dis injured,” Cookie returned evenly. “Now, on three. We’ll ‘oist you up an’ walk tah the couch. Ready?”

Sweetie nodded, “Ready, Mom.”

“Okay, now. Here we go. One … two … THREEEEEEEEEE!” On three, Cookie attempted to hoist Sweetie up. She was plenty strong enough for the job, and Sweetie was easily brought to standing beside her.

“Feels okay, so far,” Sweetie said.

“Okay, then. We’re not out of dah woods yet. Let’s juz slowly and carefully make our way tah the couch. Easy, now. Easy does it.”

Cookie attempted to carefully guide her injured daughter to the couch. The trip took only a minute. Once there, Sweetie laid down heavily on the couch.

“There ya go!” Cookie cheered upon their success. “Do ya need any blankets or pillows?”

“Don’t want to get too comfortable, Mom. Daddy’s going to take me to the hospital. Shouldn’t take long, right?” Sweetie asked.

Cookie looked up the stairs as she watched her husband descend down them. Along the way, he said, “Diamond said yes. She agreed to wait for Sunset to arrive. I also told her that you are fine, my dear, even though I didn’t feel entirely honest in saying so.”

Sweetie nodded, then proceeded to try to stand up only to fall back to the couch, “Oof,” she said.

“Darn it, Sweetie! ‘ow many times do I hafta say it? Be still!” Cookie commanded.

“We do have one other problem about Diamond, though,” Hondo mentioned as he approached to stand behind the couch. “What are we going to do about them in the front yard?”

“It sounds like dey might drive off soon,” Cookie noted. “I can ‘ear the engine revving.”

“That doesn’t mean they will take off. It just means they are getting ready to take off. As far as Diamond is concerned, I get the feeling they won’t take no for an answer when it comes to their request for Diamond,” Hondo noted with concern.

“I won’t let them take her!” Sweetie cried, hammering a fist into the coffee table in front of her.

“Relax!” Sweetie’s mother urged. “We’re not lettin’ them take ya friend eithah.”

Sweetie took a deep, shuddering, breath again before nodding. “Okay… okay… um… I was supposed to ask you to try and stall them until she got here, too.”

Hondo lifts an eyebrow as he jokes, “Oh, so that’s why you decided to fall down the stairs.”

Sweetie blinked, “Decided…? I didn’t decide to do that! That’s not fair!”

“That remark is in poor taste, Hun,” Cookie lightly scolded to her husband.

“Regardless,” Hondo leaned on the back of the couch, “it might buy us the time we need. None of them are in this house anymore, and I think they’ll respect our privacy when they know we have an emergency on our hands. This tactic is a little extreme, but might serve to our benefit in a small way.”

“How is Diamond doing, anyway?” Sweetie asked.

Hondo frowned at his daughter as he replied, “I couldn’t see her through the door, but she sounded worried for you.” He smiled a bit. “You really do have a knack for attracting good friends, Sweetie Belle.”

Sweetie nodded, sighing, “I”m fine… I don’t want her blaming herself. Do you understand?” She pleaded with Hondo.

“Oh, of course,” Hondo accepted. “Who wants to have their friends miserable?”

Cookie glanced at the phone she still had in her hand, then declared, “I should return Ms. Pommel’s phone now. It’s not like I need it. I ‘ave my own.”

Cookie bent down and kissed her daughter’s forehead, then bade, “Take it easy and relax, Hun. I’ll be back soon.”

“I love you, Mom. Thank you,” Sweetie said as she rotated her shoulder, and winced.

“Lie still,” Cookie reminded her daughter. “We’ll get ya patched up in no time.”

Cookie then got up and left. Her husband’s eyes followed her until she left, then he realized something. He looked at his daughter. “Do you want some pillows and blankets, Sweet?” he asked, not realizing his wife asked moments earlier.

“I’m fine. I’d rather not get too comfortable if you’re going to be taking me to the hospital, honestly,” Sweetie answered, “and I’m trying to keep an eye out the back for Ms. Shimmer, too.”


Sunset Shimmer slowed her motorcycle to a stop when she got on the street with the Belle residence. She was still a block away when she stopped and lifted the visor of the motorcycle helmet. Up ahead, she saw the large semi-truck parked just a little ahead of the Belle residence. It was clearly large enough to block the driveway of the next two homes.

Sunset pulled back the sleeve of her leather jacket back in order to check her watch for the time. It said 6:32 AM.

Sunset looked ahead at the truck with trailer again with a fairly grim and contemplative expression. She realized she didn’t want to park her bike in plain sight of those in the truck and trailer, so she decided to park on the street behind the Belle residence. From there, she just needed to sneak her way to the backyard.

Sunset’s face grew firm as she slammed the visor of her helmet down again. She wheeled about and quickly made her way to the next street over. Once that was done, she snuck her way to the backyard of the Belle residence. She winced tightly when a few dogs of other neighbors started barking at her, thus damaging her stealth attempt, but she consoled herself with the knowledge that those in the truck shouldn’t care about her or those dogs.

Once Sunset arrived while tucking her helmet under her arm, she pulled out her phone and attempted to call Sweetie Belle. It kept ringing until it reached voicemail. She looked taken aback at her phone, expecting Sweetie would have answered by now. When the voicemail message beeped, Sunset put the phone back on her face and said, “Sweetie, it’s Sunset. I’m in the-”

Sunset was interrupted by a call from another. She looked at her phone again and realized it was Sweetie Belle’s mother, Cookie Belle.

“Oh, um, nevermind,” Sunset said to the message then switched the line to Cookie’s.

“Ms. Shimmer. I’m sorry. My phone is broken. I fell down the stairs. I’m okay, just a little sore. I’m trying to get Daddy or Mom to bring Diamond out to the back yard,” Sweetie said rapid-fire, her breathing a little labored.

“Oh my Celestia! Sweetie Belle … no! Don’t hurt yourself! You have to be more careful!” Sunset begged. “Anyway, I’m here and waiting in the backyard. The coast also seems clear for the moment.”

“Okay, I’ll get Diamond out there soon.

“Daddy? Can you check on Diamond? Ms. Shimmer is here to take her to school now,” Sweetie Belle said, although a bit more muffled since her face was no longer directly on the phone.

“Sure thing, Sweetheart,” Sunset heard Hondo say, although in a more wavy way since he was even more distant from the phone.

“Sweetie? Sweetie?” Sunset called into her phone.

“Yes, Ms. Shimmer?” Sweetie replied. Since she sounded clearer this time, it probably meant she returned the phone to her face.

“How is Diamond doing?” Sunset asked anxiously. “My Celestia, also you! How are you doing? Falling down the stairs sounds awfully serious. Do you need to be taken to the hospital?”

“Daddy’s going to once that truck is out of the way, but I’m okay. Diamond… I think she’s blaming herself. In fact, I’m sure of it,” Sweetie said sadly.

“Oh! Um, the truck is out of the way right now. You should tell your father about that. It’s still on the street, but at least it’s out of the way of your house.”

Sunset looked up to the second story of the house, then admitted, “I wouldn’t put it past Diamond to blame herself for this situation, but I want you to know that I don’t share that sentiment. Her mother probably hired an agent or something to follow Diamond to this home and that’s how she found out that Diamond was here.” Sunset sighed worriedly, then expressed, “I sure hope that does not happen to me when I escort Diamond off the premises.”

“I’m sorry I put you in this position,” Sweetie pleaded, “B-but she really doesn’t want to go with them.”

“Oh, I know!” Sunset assured. “That’s why I’m going to do everything in my power to help her.”

Sunset sighed again, then asked with lingering worry, “Are you sure you are alright? All I know is you claim to have fallen down the stairs, you're conscious enough to talk to me, which is good, and your phone is broken. That’s important to replace soon, too, because I may need to get a hold of you sometimes. The situation we have now is very delicate. Do you need some help getting your phone replaced? I don't think you need to replace your service plan. All we have to do is transfer the SiM chip from your previous phone to the new one.”

“Daddy, is it going to be hard to replace my phone?” Sweetie asked Hondo.

Hondo was too far for Sunset to hear his response clearly, but it seemed as if he said it shouldn’t be too much of a problem for him.

“It’s okay, Ms. Shimmer. Daddy says it shouldn’t be a problem,” Sweetie assured.

“Is Diamond coming down, yet?” Sunset checked anxiously.

“Uh, yes! She’s coming down the stairs now,” Sweetie replied.

“Oh good!” Sunset expressed with relief but continued to scan her surroundings to make sure the coast remained clear.

“Sweetie Belle-” Sunset heard Diamond say faintly with a guilty sounding voice but was almost immediately interrupted by Sweetie.

“No, Diamond. You aren’t blaming yourself for me being too stupid to have the sense not to rush down the stairs while trying to answer my phone! That isn’t your fault!” Sweetie cut her off.

Sunset heard silence for a few seconds on the other end of the line. After a moment, she was about to open her mouth to object to the delay, but then she heard another person speak.

“Ya two can worry about ‘ose fault dis is late’ah,” said Cookie. “Right now, Sunset is waitin’ fo ya in dah backyard and she’s going tah sneak ya tah safety. If ya still want tah go, then go. Aftah you do, we’ll escort Sweetie to the ‘ospital so don’t ya worry about ‘er. We’ll take care of ‘er.”

“I’m sorry I’m such a burden on everyone!” Diamond moaned pitifully.

“Honey, just go! Now!” Cookie ordered. “We’ll talk more on dis later.”

“Sweetie, I … thank you!” Diamond expressed gratefully but sounded fainter on the phone at the end there, likely due to her escalating distance from the phone.

“Of course, Diamond… I’d do anything for you,” Sweetie said so quietly that Sunset wasn’t even certain Diamond could hear her.

“I will too, Sweetie Belle. I promise,” Sunset vowed to Sweetie. Then she looked up and saw Diamond approach the backyard. “I see her, so I got to go.”

“Keep her safe, Sunset… I um…,” Sweetie didn’t finish her thought before the phone hung up.

Glad to see you, Diamond,” Sunset said with a bit lower volume because she was afraid to be overheard. “We need to take off now, though, so come with me. Are you ready to go?

Diamond shrugged and said, “As ready as I’ll ever be, I guess,” Diamond replied with the same volume.

Okay. Come on,” Sunset bade as she grabbed Diamond’s left hand and hurriedly dragged Diamond to the back exit of the backyard.

Once she got there, however, she was startled to see a moderate-sized man standing on the other side of the exit. He wore a blue business suit with a red striped necktie. His hair was puffy pink and he wore spectacles clipped to his nose.

“Good morning, Miss,” the man greeted with a somewhat irritating tone. “Nice day for kidnapping charges, isn’t it?”

“What?!” Sunset exclaimed with wide eyes. “But how did you …”

“Smile!” the man bid as he pointed upward. “You’re on camera even as we speak.”

Sunset looked up and noticed a very silent drone floating above the man and aimed at Sunset.

Diamond cringed and hid behind Sunset, which drew Sunset’s attention for a moment to the girl cowering behind her, then she gazed forward at the man in front of her with angry determination.

“Diamond does not want to go with you, and you can’t make her!” Sunset declares firmly. “I won’t let you take her if she’s unwilling to go.”

“My dear, I could care less if Diamond wishes to come with me or not,” the man declares dismissively. “I’m simply here because her mother paid me to be here. If you don’t believe me,” he reached into his inner jacket pocket and pulled out his phone, “you can call her to verify this yourself. Or … you can just take off with Diamond right now if you want. We’ll see, later on, who Ms. Rich chooses to press charges against or not,” he said with a taunting voice.

Diamond cringed and shivered fearfully behind Sunset’s back.

“You know,” the man tilted his head a bit to the side as he continued to regard Sunset, “I think you are going to look so ugly in an orange jump-suit, but what can you do?” He gave a helpless shrug. “That appears to be the fashion choice of prison this season, so my hands are tied.”

Diamond sniffled, but then crawled around Sunset and started to move towards the man with her head bowed in defeat.

“Diamond,” Sunset said in a tone of objection as she stopped her by putting a hand on Diamond’s left shoulder, “you don’t have to do this! You’re not your mother’s slave. You don’t need to go with him!”

“Yes I DO!” Diamond wailed sadly. “I don’t want to get you into trouble.”

“I’ve been in trouble before! I can handle it!” Sunset swore. “I faced down monsters before, and I’ll get through it with help from my friends. You are not alone anymore!”

“Let go of me!” Diamond insisted as she shrugged off Sunset’s hand.

“Diamond …” Sunset said in a lamenting tone.

“Just go away and leave me be!” Diamond cried back without looking back. “And tell Sweetie Belle thank you … and that this was my choice.”

“Excellent!” the man cheered. “You’re making a wise decision, Miss Tiara! Together, we’ll work hard to improve your image and win you that election yet.” He spun about on a dime as he adjusted his necktie. “Come along, my dear. Time is money.”

“Diamond … we’re going to save you. I promise!” Sunset swore to Diamond’s back.

“You really need to stop your habit of making promises you can’t keep,” Diamond said sadly as she walked off with the aggravating man.