• Published 15th Dec 2019
  • 1,007 Views, 55 Comments

Scars To Her Beautiful - flutterJackdash



Sweetie and her friends are finally getting ready to graduate high school, and move on with their lives. Why is Silver so angry? Where is Diamond?

  • ...
3
 55
 1,007

Chapter 21 - A Revelation

The trio of girls, one rolling along on her skateboard, enter the large open skate park cast in bright late-morning sunlight. Scootaloo wears her cargo shorts, sunglasses, a pair of black high-top sneakers, a purple helmet, on which has been painted a stylized purple wing, and purple knee and elbow pads, and a burnt orange t-shirt depicting a badge split into three colors, each corresponding to the color of the hair of each member of the trio. On this badge is a stylized purple wing in the center of it. Sweetie, with her hair up in a tail, wearing a mint-green spaghetti strap tank top and white capri pants, green sunglasses, and white sandals, licks an ice cream cone, acquired from the nearby kiosk. Apple Bloom wears a green t-shirt and blue jeans with a pair of green knee pads over them, and green elbow pads over her elbows, and a pair of low slung white sneakers, carrying a skateboard of her own under her right arm. Tailing just behind them, a dark orange girl with a head of deep red hair and a smattering of freckles on her cheeks, keeping her green eyes hidden behind dark sunglasses, her white shorts and pink midriff shirt with a white gardenia print on it, fluttering lightly in a breeze, while her pink sandals flip flop with each step.

“Awful nice weather fer this, huh?” Apple Bloom asks.

“Best yet,” Scootaloo agrees, “Perfect for you to learn a little about skateboarding. Ready?”

“Never,” Apple Bloom replies, “Ain’t backin’ out though, no worries.”

“Oh I wasn’t,” Scootaloo assures.

Sweetie smiles at this, “Not gonna take no for an answer, Scoot?”

“Not from Apple Bloom. Not about this,” Scootaloo replies, “Gonna wipe out a couple times, not gonna lie. But you’ll have fun anyway! Just be okay with laughing at yourself sometimes!”

“And I’ll be here to record all of your precious little blunders,” Scarlet Line laughs as she squirts suntan lotion on her hands then proceeds to wipe them along her arms, and then she offers, “Any of the rest of you want some lotion on this fine Saturday morning? I got some extra here.”

“Oh! I’ll take some!” Sweetie says with a wave of her hand, “And thanks!”

“Okay. Here you go,” Scarlet says as she tosses Sweetie Belle the bottle.

The bottle ends up in a light orange hand, which then holds it up for Sweetie, “Scarlet, you know Sweetie can barely catch when she has both hands! Don’t do that!” Scootaloo reprimands.

“Sorry,” Scarlet replies in a teasing manner which leaves a little room for doubt that she actually is sorry. Then she shifts her gaze at Sweetie Belle as she adds, “But if you did drop the bottle, maybe you could have used that ice cream as a substitute.”

“Ew, all that sugar all of my skin? That would just be stick, and attract flies,” Sweetie replies, “Nooooo thanks!”

“‘sides,” Apple Bloom adds, “Ain’t like she was raised to be an animal, not with Rarity doin’ most of the teachin’.”

“You’re probably right,” Scarlet agrees then takes a deep breath and releases it slowly as she scans across the skatepark behind her dark sunglasses. “Anyhoo, shouldn’t the lot of ya get on to rollin?”

“Hell yes,” Scootaloo answers.

“No,” Sweetie says, “Not me, but I’ll provide moral support!” She pumps a fist, the one holding the bottle of lotion, before turning to Apple Bloom. “Do you mind holding my ice cream while I put this stuff on? I don’t mind if you have a lick, either.”

“Right,” Apple Bloom nods and holds out a hand, “Sure, I gotcha.”

Sweetie hands the ice cream over, then dutifully squirts some lotion into the palm of her hand and begins to spread it across her shoulders and arms.

Apple Bloom takes her up on her offer, taking a brief lick of the ice cream, “Mm, Butter Pecan… not too sophisticated, but not bad either.”

“My favorite,” Sweetie says as she finishes spreading the lotion, resulting in a fairly even coat, all except for her back.

“Thanks, AB,” Sweetie says as she tosses the lotion back to Scarlet unannounced and reaches for the ice cream from Apple Bloom, who hands it back without hesitation.

“Want me to spread lotion on your back?” Scarlet offers more kindly. “In exchange, you can do mine, or …” When Scarlet notices Sweetie Belle reclaim her ice cream, she realizes the trouble the white girl might have with the second request. As an alternative, she glances at Apple Bloom questioningly and hopefully.

“Oh, yes, please,” Sweetie says with a genuine smile, “Thank you. I always forget to do that!”

Apple Bloom sighs, “Ah guess Ah I can help ya out there, Scarlet.”

Scootaloo stops in her tracks, pointing toward one of the large cement bowls and the gray boy, who is wearing tight black sport shorts, a gray tank top shirt, and an open black hoodie, suddenly launching into the air at the apex of the slope, spinning around while holding the nose of his board before gliding back down and smoothly into a landing that leaves him rolling quickly towards another ramp up on the other side of the bowl, “Check that out! I didn’t know Rumble was so good!”

“Ah … who?” Scarlet asks as she scans among those already in the skateboard park. Then she spots who Scootaloo was talking about. “Oh! Rumble is here too! Cool, cool.” Then she looks questioningly at Scootaloo. “You didn’t know he likes skateboarding? I think you inspired him.”

“I said I didn’t know he was so good,” Scootaloo corrects, “Not that I didn’t know he liked it… and me? Inspire him? Almost looks like he’s better than I am! …almost.”

Scarlet winces at her older sister as she asks while continuing to rub sunblock on Sweetie Belle, “Well, he didn’t inspire you, didn’t he? I figured Dash did that. Think she even gave you that board.”

Scootaloo smiles wistfully, “Dash… yeah, she’s inspired me in a lot of ways. And yeah, she did give me this board, well, sort of? I mean, she paid for it, after she took me to the shop to design it and all…”

“Typical awesome Dash,” Scarlet says with a fond grin just as she finishes with Sweetie Belle. Scarlet then stands up straight and announces, “Alright, Sweets. You’re all set.” She then looks at Apple Bloom hopefully. “Now do me?”

In the foreground of the skatepark, some of the other teenagers cheer Rumble on when he performs a particularly awesome trick. Among them is Button Mash who cheers momentarily above and beyond his handheld video game system then promptly returns to it and resumes playing

“Sure,” Apple Bloom says, “Hand it over then.” Scarlet proceeds to do so.

Apple Bloom takes the lotion, and squirts a fair bit into the palm of her hand before gently applying it to Scarlet’s back, “You burn easy?” she asks.

“I don’t like the take the chance,” Scarlet replies with a small bit of arrogance. “I’m going to be a movie star someday so I have to take care of myself and my complexion.”

“Rarity has a lot of skin care techniques, she might like to share them with you!” Sweetie says, “Oh but, she’s out of town right now, so that’ll have to wait.”

“That’s okay. I can text her,” Scarlet replies a bit excitedly. “That’s my preferred method of communicating anyway. Let me check if I have her number.” Scarlet pulls out her phone and checks for Rarity’s number. “Looks like … I got your number, but not your sister’s.”

“Okay, I’ll ask if I can give you her number,” Sweetie replies, “No problem!” Sweetie pulls out her own phone and quickly taps out a message, and a sound indicates it has been sent out, “Now just have to wait on her getting back to me.”

“Cool,” Scarlet replies gratefully.

“Alright, slow pokes, I’m goin’ ahead,” Scootaloo says, “I really can’t take all this waiting around and blabbing. Wasting daylight and good weather on it.”

Apple Bloom rolls her eyes, “Ye just wanna get to the part where Ah’m fallin’ on my keister all the time.”

“True,” Scootaloo concedes, “But I’m just as anxious to get into motion already!” With that, she kicks off and sails towards the large bowl where she pauses at the lip then drops down into it.

Apple Bloom sighs, “Guess Ah’d better get on in there too,” she says as she lays the finishing touches on Scarlet’s back. “An’ don’t worry, ah got ya finished up Scar.”

“Thanks,” Scarlet replies gratefully as she lifts up her phone. “Now get in there and make an ass of yourself.” She presses record as she adds, “Your audience awaits.”

Apple Bloom grumbles as she steps up to the lip of the bowl, looking down at it with the same weight as if she were looking at a particularly high cliff’s edge overlooking an outcropping of rocks in a violently busy ocean swell.

“Be nice, Scarlet,” Sweetie admonishes, “It isn’t as if you’d be any better in there.”

“You do realize I just recorded you saying that, right?” Scarlet points out.

Apple takes a deep breath, then sets her skateboard down and sets one foot on it before putting her other foot on it and dropping down. She rolls down easily enough, but she’s definitely not up to anything fancier than staying balanced.

Sweetie smiles, “You say that like it reflects poorly on me, somehow.”

“She’s doing alright,” Scarlet notes offhandedly with a shrug and without much interest. “Nothing too exciting.” Still aiming the phone at Apple Bloom then transferring it to Scootaloo as Apple Bloom passes her, Scarlet asks, “So … how are you holding up, Sweets? Been, ah … busy lately? Come up with any new songs?”

“Not very busy, no,” Sweetie replies, “Worried, though. It’s been a week since I last spoke with Diamond Tiara. Since I’ve even heard anything about her. Heck, Silver Spoon doesn’t even know what’s happening with her. As for songs… No, not really. I’m finding it hard to focus lately. I think Scootaloo was close to just trying me up and carrying me out here if I didn’t agree to come along, honestly.”

Scarlet frowns as she glances over at Sweetie Belle. Part of her considered to stop recording right now because it is now picking up some sensitive information. Of course, the other half of that argument is she’s getting some pretty decent footage of her older sister.

Scootaloo launches into the air at the near end of the bowl, flipping end over end and rotating at the same time until coming down for a hard landing that still leaves her sailing back down the bowl and to the other end to repeat the process, then returning only to cut into a handstand with one hand on the lip and the other pressing the board for her feet before rolling back down into the bowl.

“Nice moves,” Rumble compliments Scootaloo upon passing her.

Scootaloo salutes him as she starts to roll in a circle around him, choosing to fold her hands behind her back as she does, “Thanks, Rumble. You’re pretty awesome yourself!”

“Sure thing,” Rumble agrees casually. “Check this out.”

Rumble grins as he kicks off, speeding up the side of the bowl, simply arcing his jump to come back with more momentum as he moves to the other side and launches himself up to a jump that takes him on an arc to his left, where he comes down grinding the lip for a short stint then hops off and rolls back down into the bowl and does a series of kickflips as he does.

Scootaloo nods her approval, “Real good stuff, Rumble. When did you get to be this good at it?”

“Oh now y’all are just showin’ off!” Apple Bloom grouses as she rolls up next to Scootaloo.

“Oh, you haven’t fallen over yet?” Scootaloo asks, “You’re getting a lot better, AB! Keep it up!”

“It’s like mah sister says,” Apple Bloom recites, “Slow ‘n steady brings home the blue ribbon.”

Scootaloo rolls her eyes, “Because slow is the right speed for winning races, right?”

“Sometimes, yeah,” Apple Bloom replies, “If’n there’s any endurance in it, then ya can’t go and tire yourself out or ya won’t even finish, right?”

Scootaloo nods, “...true.”

Rumble returned to Scootaloo’s side and skids to a stop. He lifts up a sports bottle which he apparently retrieved somewhere while Scootaloo was paying attention and talking to Apple Bloom. He tilts his head back and squirts some water in his mouth for a moment before lowering the bottle and wiping his brow. He then says, “Yeah. I’ve always been something of a natural. Runs in the family, I guess. I once heard, back in the day, Dash and my brother Thunder had some pretty good matches. Thought they’d go professional even.”

“Matches at what?” Scootaloo asks, a little confused at the vagueness.

“Some think Dash and mah sister are fairly competitive, too,” Apple Bloom says, “I mean, ain’t like AJ’d ever set food in one of these here skatin’ death traps, but Ah still think she might manage to stay upright for it.”

“Various things, come to think of it,” Rumble mentions. “All kinds of sports stuff, including this, dirt bike racing, basketball … soccer. You name it. It’s kind of funny how really talented sports pros tend to find their equal somehow.”

“Oh, neat,” Scootaloo says, “It’ll keep her sharp having someone around who’s almost as good as she is!”

“Agreed,” agrees Rumble with a casual grin at Scootaloo. “And likewise, you can keep me on my toes.”

“Oh it’s more like you’ll keep me on mine,” Scootaloo returns, “You’re pretty good, so I feel like I have to work harder to stay ahead of you. That’s okay, I like a challenge.”

“In that case, how about I show you some moves you can practice?” Rumble offers kindly.

“Oooh,” Scootaloo replies, “Now you’re gettin’ cocky! But sure, let’s see what you’ve got.”

“Ah better get outta y’alls way then,” Apple Bloom says with a roll of her eyes as she kicks off and staggering rolls away from them.

“I didn’t mean to kick you out,” Rumble calls after Apple Bloom with a bit of a frown.

“You didn’t kick her out,” Scootaloo replies, “She just knows she’s not at our level, and she doesn’t want to get hurt… and I don’t want her to get hurt. It’s fine. She’ll probably go hang out closer to Sweetie and Scarlet.”

“Well, that’s alright, I suppose,” Rumble accepts. “In that case, c’mon! I call this one, ‘Thunder Cyclone’!”


Apple Bloom does return to Sweetie Belle and Scarlet Line, electing to climb out of the bowl and sit down next to Sweetie.

“Eh, they’re gettin’ a might too risky for me,” Apple Bloom says, “Gonna sit here ‘til Scoots is ready for me again.”

“You’re always welcome,” Sweetie says, “You looked like you were doing okay out there.”

“I wasn’t fallin’ down, which is a whole lot better’n I normally do,” Apple Bloom agrees.

“If it weren’t for the fact that Rumble briefly stayed at our house while he had some trouble back home, I might have mistaken those two to have some romantic feelings together,” Scarlet slightly teases and observes as she continues to film Scootaloo and Rumble, but she pauses the recording whenever they stop for too long. It seems like Rumble is explaining something to Scootaloo and making tiny movements with his board as if to demonstrate what he is talking about.

“Naw, not those two,” Apple Bloom says, “Scoots got her eye on someone else.”

“Oh?” Sweetie says, “Who might that be?”

“No one ah can rightly identify without betrayin’ Scoots’ trust,” Apple Bloom says.

“Aw!” Scarlet complains with a teasing grin back to Apple Bloom. “That’s too bad. This really sounds like juicy information.”

“Ah’d break your phone sooner’n let ya post anythin’ that’s personal to Scoots,” Apple Bloom replies evenly.

“Geeze! Don’t have to be that harsh,” Scarlet mopes.

“So… you know who it is, then?” Sweetie asks.

“Eh, let’s jus’ say I’ve got my suspicions,” Apple Bloom answers.

“How about you, then? You got a crush on someone special?” Scarlet checks with Apple Bloom but she also glances at Sweetie Belle, equally interested in that girl’s answer.

Apple Bloom frowns, “You ain’t recordin’?” she checks.

Scarlet frowns a bit as she asks, “Do you want me to turn it off first before you answer?” She looks at her phone and then adds, “Actually, I do have it paused at the moment. Scoots and Rumble just seem to be talking for now, but I think there'll be some action from them soon. I do want to tape that.”

“Then jus’ tell me if’n ya need to start up again so’s I can shut my yap,” Apple Bloom says. “An’... Ah’ll tell ya.”

Sweetie blinks, “You will?”

“Sure,” Scarlet agrees as she lowers and pockets her phone.

“Yep,” Apple Bloom answers Sweetie before taking a deep breath, “Y’all know that english boy? Pip?”

Sweetie nods with a knowing smile, “Oh yeah, him. He’s a grade below us, right?”

Apple Bloom nods, “Yeah, but… he’s kinda sweet, an’ not too bad to look at neither. Been real friendly to me. Ah dunno, he just… Ah’m sorta stuck on him, is all.”

“Who is Pip? You got a picture of him?” Scarlet asks hopefully.

“Er…,” Apple Bloom blushes, “Ah do, yeah.” She pulls out her own phone and opens the gallery on it, swiping through several photos until she gets to one of Pip and holds the phone up for Scarlet to look at.

“Whoa there.” Scarlet studies the picture for a moment before shrugging and admitting, “I guess he’s pretty cute.” She looks at Apple Bloom. “But I suspect it’s more than just his appearance that got you so interested in him. You have a thing for Brits or something?”

“Eh, sort of? I mean, Ah do like his accent, yeah… but naw, it’s more n’ that. He’s sweet, real nice, polite, bunch of good qualities to me,” Apple Bloom says, “Not just some… surface stuff.”

Sweetie nods, “I know what you mean. I’ve gotten tired of boys who don’t care about more than how I look, or treat me like some sort of accessories, like I’m supposed to make them look good or something.”

“Pip don’t really come across like that type,” Apple Bloom agrees, “But he also don’t seem to keen on datin’ anyone anyway, so I guess it don’t really matter.”

“In that case, do neither of you find anything enticing about a good-looking bad boy rebel?” Scarlet checks as her eyes shift back and forth between Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle. She also quickly checks with her sister and finds Scootalooo still just chatting with Rumble.

Sweetie Belle swallows, her eyes going a little shifty before replying, “I… don’t really find anything enticing about boys at all.”

Apple Bloom nods at Sweetie before turning to Scarlet, “No, Ah like ‘em honest and proper. Don’t have use for a boy that ain’t gonna respect me, or might treat me wrong in other ways, so if’n the boy has a chance of needin’ a wallopin’ from me, then I just don’t have time for ‘em.”

“Okay, two things,” Scarlet brings up. “Number one; I once read a report about ‘Nice Guys Finish Last.’ If I recall correctly, it explained why some women find the bad boys exciting, but only temporarily. They can be more adventurous. However, if they are getting older and want to settle with someone and raise a stable family, then that is when the good boys become really attractive. Looks to me like you skipped the bad boy phase entirely,” she says with a nod to Apple Bloom, “which, if I’m being honest, doesn’t really surprise me. Every time I’ve ever seen you, you seem to like stability and with a good head on your shoulders. Part of farm life, I guess.” She then looks at Sweetie Belle. “And you seem to skip the boy phase entirely. In that case, do you have a girl you have a crush on?”

“Part of having self respect,” Apple Bloom says with a frown, “Farm girl or no.”

Sweetie blinks, “I do, actually… but… you’ve got to swear not to tell anyone. I’ve really only told AB and Scoots about it, um… and Silver and Snails, too… but my own family doesn’t even know that I like girls, and I’m not ready to tell them yet.”

“Ya ain’t gotta say at all if’n ya don’t want to,” Apple Bloom says.

“Oh, I know,” Sweetie says, “But… Scarlet’s not even recording this, so she must be serious about being respectful of the conversation, right?”

Scarlet glances at Scootaloo and Rumble again. It looks like they are in motion now, but nothing too serious since Scootaloo is just practicing. Because of that, she looks at Sweetie Belle and nods with a face set with serious respect as she says, “Okay. You have my word that I won’t breathe a word of this to anyone who doesn’t know already.” She indicates back to Scootaloo with a shrug of her right shoulder as she adds, “Since you said my older sister is one of them, I might bring this up with her if it seems appropriate but not until then.”

Sweetie nods, “Alright then, I’ll tell you.”

Apple Bloom simply waits.

Sweetie sighs, “I’ve got a crush on Diamond Tiara…”

Scarlet winces as she asks, “Since when? Scootaloo once told me that Diamond and Silver used to pick on you Crusaders a bunch. I doubt you found her attractive then aside from the fact you were all younger back then.”

“No, you’re right, I didn’t. At all,” Sweetie confirms, “But that was back then… They haven’t been picking on us this year, and… well… I’ve found out a few things about Diamond that… um… make her seem more human to me. I… don’t know how else to explain it.”

“Yeah. I heard a few of those rumors,” Scarlet replies as she crosses her arms. “Something about purging? Heard there was a photo being passed on around school and then she admitted it during some election speech. Practically the whole town is whispering about that.”

“A photo? It’s online,” Sweetie says with a frown, “Some evil jerk made her private life very public and humiliated her… It… really upset her.”

“That really does suck,” Scarlet agreed. “I hope whoever that is who posted private information like that online burns in hell.” Her eyes flash at Apple Bloom as she quickly adds, “Excuse my language.”

Apple Bloom shrugs, “Scoots has said worse, and ah I can handle it. Thanks anyway.”

“Has anything been done about that?” Scarlet asks Sweetie Belle. “That seems like a big deal, and now with Diamond disappearing after the speech which was what? Three weeks ago? I guess I can see why you’re worried.”

“Honestly, I’m scared,” Sweetie admits, folding her arms to grip her shoulders, “I’ve seen… well… I just… she might hurt herself really bad…”

“Really bad? Like how?” Apple Bloom asks.

“Like… oh AB, I…,” Sweetie suddenly stands up and runs off, throwing what’s left of her ice cream cone to the side.

Apple Bloom watches her for a moment before standing up for herself, “Scoots!” she calls out, “Somethin’s wrong with Sweetie!”

Scootaloo pauses, looking back at Apple Bloom, then to Rumble, “Sorry, Rumble, gonna have to see to that. I’ll be back though. Lots of daylight left for this and I don’t want to waste it either.”

“Want some backup?” Rumble shyly offers.

“I guess?” Scootaloo answers, “I don’t know what you can do, but more friends can’t be a bad thing, right?”

“Then c’mon! We can catch up to her more quickly on the skateboards,” Rumble proposes as he drops his board back to the ground then calls over his shoulder, “Button, be back in a sec!

In response, Button Mash briefly just waves without glancing up from his game.

Scootaloo casts a quick glance over at Button, then sighs and kicks off after Rumble.

Apple Bloom now takes off at a run after Sweetie, who has headed for the restrooms.

Sweetie! Hold up!” Apple Bloom calls out, “Don’t jus’ run away from us!”

Sweetie doesn’t reply, continuing to run away.

Scootaloo and Rumble both overtake and pass Apple Bloom, but Sweetie Belle arrives at the public ladies restroom first. Naturally that causes Rumble to hesitate at the entrance. From there, he passes Scootaloo an uncomfortable look which begs no explanation.

“Wait for you here?” he offers.

“Maybe be ready to intercept, too,” Scootaloo advises as she kicks her board into her hand and leans it against the outer wall. “And watch my board.”

“You got it,” Rumble confirms with a nod.

By now, Apple Bloom arrives and she and Scootaloo push through the door into the ladies’ room.

“Sweetie?” Apple Bloom calls out, but it doesn’t take long to hear the sniffling coming from the only closed stall in the place. Also in the ladies restroom is a tall purple lady who was doing her makeup, particularly her lipstick at that moment. She pauses in concern because she also hears Sweetie Belle sniffling. That look transfers to Scootaloo and Apple Bloom when they enter. She hopes that they can solve this problem for her.

“Sweetie,” Apple Bloom repeats as she approaches the stall, “What’s wrong?”

“I… I don’t want to talk about it,” she says.

“Well, you’re crying and running off now,” Scootaloo says as she arrives next to Apple Bloom, “It’s really worrying, Sweetie, and it doesn’t seem fair that you won’t even clue us in to what’s going on to make you this upset!”

I said I don’t want to talk about it!” Sweetie replies, almost getting shrill.

“And I thought I made it clear that that just isn’t going to fly this time,” Scootaloo replies calmly.

Apple Bloom looks at Scootaloo with worry for a moment, before adding, “Look, ya ain’t gotta talk about anythin’ ya don’t want to talk about… but you do have the pair of us real worried, right now, and that don’t feel too fair either. Please, talk to us?”

Scootaloo looks over at the purple lady, “Do you mind?” she asks, indicating a particular need for privacy at this moment.

“Oh. Sure,” the purple lady accepts then quickly puts her lipstick away in her purse. Truthfully, even though she doesn’t look totally done, she seems relieved to be excused right now but there is also a hopeful look in her eyes which indicates she hopes this situation will be resolved. With that, she makes her way out of the restroom.

“Come on, Sweetie,” Scootaloo says, “We’ve got the whole place to ourselves now.”

“Scootaloo…,” Sweetie pleads.

“This has gone on long enough, Sweetie,” Scootaloo says, “You’re not going to go through this alone, do you get me?”

“Now,” Apple Bloom adds, “What haven’t ya told us about Diamond?”

Sweetie unlatches the stall door and pushes it open, stepping out.

“Oh, this is about Diamond?” Scootaloo says, catching a sharp look from Apple Bloom and shrinking back from it, “I-I mean, what’s wrong with Diamond?”

Sweetie looks around the restroom, checking every corner before returning her attention to Apple Bloom and Scootaloo.

“She um… she’s cut herself,” Sweetie says slowly, “It… it looked like a lot, from what I saw… and… like maybe she wanted to do worse than that…”

“Worse than…,” Scootaloo blinks, “Oh.”

“Well, dang,” Apple Bloom says, “Diamond is fixin’ to kill herself?”

“NO! I… I mean… I don’t know!” Sweetie cries, “I just… I mean, I think she could go that far? She was so upset before, and then horrible thing happened during the speech and I just know that it’s gotten even worse since then…”

“Have you told Ms. Shimmer?” Scootaloo asks.

“No,” Sweetie admits, “I don’t know if I even should. How hurt would Diamond be if I betrayed her trust like that?”

“Not half as hurt as she might do to herself if’n ya don’t say a thing,” Apple Bloom says, and this sets Sweetie bawling.

“Oh Sweetie,” Scootaloo says softly, almost sounding defeated as she pulls Sweetie into a hug, and Apple Bloom joins in that hug just a second after that.

“It’s a scary thing,’ Scootaloo says, “I have no idea what I would do in your situation… but I do know that I’d want to do something to protect someone I care about who was… a danger to themself.”

“And I do,” Sweetie says through a sob, “But I just don’t know what to do!”

“S’pose tellin’ Ms. Shimmer is right out?” Apple Bloom asks.

“Well, no,” Sweetie sniffs, “I just… will any of you come with me?”

“Well duh,” Scootaloo says, “Now we just have to hope it isn’t too la-”

Apple Bloom glares at Scootaloo, but Sweetie was quick on the update and backs away looking terrified.

“NO! What if I’m too late?” she whimpers, “What if… oh no… how could I let her… oh…”

Sweetie nearly falls to her knees, but Scootaloo is quick to catch her up and hold her up.

“Okay, first… No way would that be your fault,” Scootaloo says, “I mean, right? It wouldn’t?”

“‘Course it wouldn’t be her fault,” Apple Bloom assures, “Don’t mean more can’t be done, and we don’t know if’n it is too late, either. Ain’t no use in panickin’, right?”

“Right,” Scootaloo agrees, “No use in that. What we do is take action.”

“...how?” Sweetie asks miserably.

“We find Ms. Shimmer, or Ms. Sparkle maybe,” Scootaloo suggests, “I’d trust either of them to take this seriously.”

“Reckon that’s a good start,” Apple Bloom agrees, “Ah’m sure it ain’t too late fer Diamond, okay? Don’t ya go panicking no more now, ya hear? We’ll find out what happened to her.”

“I really hope so,” Sweetie says, hanging on to Scootaloo, “I’m sorry.”

“For what?” Scootaloo asks.

“I didn’t tell you this sooner,” Sweetie says, “I kept this to myself.”

“Well, why did you?” Scootaloo asks.

“I promised,” Sweetie answers, “I promised Diamond that I wouldn’t tell.”

“Okay,” Scootaloo says, “I understand that. I’m glad that you did tell us though, and… don’t see a need for you to apologize, since you were just trying to keep a promise to a… friend.”

“If’n she wants to be our friend, I ain’t gonna say no to it,” Apple Bloom says.

“Really?” Sweetie asks.

“Really,” Apple Bloom answers, “Just don’t see no reason to hold on to hurts that ain’t happenin’ anymore.”

Scootaloo grumbles, “I guess.”

“Can’t live with that anger all the time, Scoots,” Apple Bloom says, “Gotta forgive sometime.”

“I can forgive when she fucking apologizes!” Scootaloo snaps, “Fuck! You get to be such a goodie two shoes at times like this!”

Apple Bloom frowns at this, but doesn’t bite back.

“Scootaloo, please don’t fight,” Sweetie pleads.

“I… oh, alright,” Scootaloo says, “So, do we wanna go find Ms. Shimmer now?”

“No,” Sweetie says, “You’re having a nice day, and I don’t want to ruin that for you.”

“Ruin… Sweetie, you’re more important than a day at the skatepark, okay? Do you get that?” Scootaloo asks, “I’m not choosing that over you, and especially not when you’re this upset, so just get that out of your head right now.”

Sweetie offers a weak smile to Scootaloo, “...alright,” she replies.

“Now, are ya ready to go lookin’ or do ya need time to get yerself together first?” Apple Bloom asks.

“Um… I should dry my face and make sure my eyes aren’t too puffy,” Sweetie replies, “But, I… I shouldn’t wait, not anymore. I’ve already waited too long as it is.”

“We don’t know that yet,” Scootaloo says, “Might be you’re just in time, you never know.”

Sweetie shows a grateful, but small, smile at this, “Thank you, Scootaloo.”

“Come on, let’s get you cleaned up,” Scootaloo says.

It’s only a matter of minutes before the three of them exit the ladies’ room. Along their way out, they pass by Rumble who is still standing their, guarding the room like he promised. They also notice he is drained of color more than usual for his gray face.

“Um, ah … here’s your skateboard back,” Rumble offers to Scootaloo with a very nervous voice.”

“Thanks,” Scootaloo says as she takes the board, “You look like you’ve seen a ghost, Rumble.”

“I guess,” he agrees nervously as he rubs the back of his neck. “Um … listen, Scoots … there is something else I wanted to talk to ya about, but it isn’t nearly as important as what’s going on here. It can wait till later, but please remember my request.”

“Yeah, sure,” Scootaloo says, “Later though. We’re gone for now.”

Rumble lifts up a hand and says, “Before you three go, is there any way I can help you out now?”

“Sounds like you heard quite a bit from out here,” Scootaloo asks.

“Sorry!” Rumble apologies with a blush. “I waited here for her like you asked me too. I also watched over your board. Plus … well, restrooms have good acoustics.”

“Then first thing, keep it to yourself,” Scootaloo says firmly. “Except for Silver Spoon. If you see her, let her know what’s going on. Tell her we’re looking for Ms. Shimmer now, and not to panic. Just, remember, we don’t for sure know anything about Diamond’s situation right now. And if you see Ms. Sparkle, will you let her know Sweetie had something she wants to talk to her about?”

“Sure thing,” Rumble instantly agrees. “But know this. I think I’ll be taking off from the park after this. There ain’t no way in hell I can safely concentrate on my board moves for the rest of the day. I think I’ll take it easy from now on unless you want me to specifically seek out Shimmer or Ms. Sparkle.”

“Are you going to go into hiding?” Scootaloo asks.

Rumble blanches at her question then shakes his head as he replies, “No. Just figured I need some time to cool off my head, ya know? But if you need me to seek out Shimmer or Sparkle now, I will. I promise.”

“Scootaloo, calm down,” Sweetie says softly.

Scootaloo glances at Sweetie before looking at Rumble again, “Right… Alright, I’m sorry. Take your time, calm yourself down… and if you happen to see Ms. Sparkle during whatever you might be doing after this, just please let her know, and same with Silver Spoon. We’ll go and find Ms. Shimmer, so you don’t even have to worry about that… and thank you, Rumble.”

“You got it,” Rumble agrees with Scootaloo with a firm nod then gives a sympathetic look to Sweetie Belle. He didn’t know what to say to her, though, so he just ends up staring at her for a few seconds before looking away in shame.

Scootaloo sighs, and leads Sweetie off.

“Thanks, Rumble,” Apple Bloom says, “Yer a real stand up fella.”

“Thanks!” he calls after Apple Bloom then widens his eyes as he recalls, “Oh, and we still need to collect Scarlet and Button.”

“Thanks, but I’m not about to forget my little sister,” Scootaloo calls back.

“Scootaloo, cut that out,” Apple Bloom replies.

“Then I’ll collect Button then and then we’ll head out,” Rumble proposes as he drops his skateboard and starts to skate on ahead. “He came with me anyway, so we might as well leave together.”

“Great,” Scootaloo says as she guides Sweetie back to Scarlet, and Apple Bloom moves right along with them.