• Published 15th Dec 2019
  • 997 Views, 55 Comments

Scars To Her Beautiful - flutterJackdash



Sweetie and her friends are finally getting ready to graduate high school, and move on with their lives. Why is Silver so angry? Where is Diamond?

  • ...
3
 55
 997

Chapter 12 - Old Scars

Cookie Crumbles entered the kitchen while tying on an apron to her chest. Within the kitchen, she noticed Scootaloo already sitting there as if waiting for her to arrive. As Cookie passed Scootaloo, she flashed the younger girl a sly grin and asked, “Come to distract me from the shenanigans happening upstairs, eh?”

“Sweetie going to the bathroom is shenanigans now?” Scootaloo replied coolly.

“Hey,” Cookie said with a shrug as she started the stove, “when you got to go, you got to go.

“Anyway, have you come to keep an eye on me?”

“Uh… Do you need help with anything?” Scootaloo asked, sidestepping the question.

“No, Hun, I don’t need any help, but if you want to help then I won’t stop you.” She used a ladle she picked up to indicate a certain drawer. “See that drawer there? Next to the fridge? It has an extra apron. Go strap it on. But first, go to the sink and wash your hands, Hun.”

“Yes ma’am,” accepted Scootaloo as she walked over to the sink and turned on the water. After she finished washing her hands, she went to the drawer that had been indicated and withdrew the folded apron.

“So … I heard you got suspended from school, Hun,” Cookie brought up as she stirred water, in a pot with her ladle, that wasn’t boiling yet. “Heard you and my daughter got into a brief scuffle, but that you didn’t do it on purpose. You want to talk about it?” Cooke asked in a calm, non-judgemental way. It sounded more like an offer.

“I… I’m sorry… I didn’t… I never meant to hurt Sweetie… I love her like a sister… I feel real crappy about that. She… she doesn’t seem mad, though,” Scootaloo replied.

“Oh, I know. I know, Hun. You don’t gotta tell me about it. My sweet daughtah did that before you, Hun, but it does leave me with one question. Now, I know for sure’ah that you didn’t mean tah hurt my daughtah, but that does beg one question … who exactly did you mean to hurt?”

Scootaloo sighed, “Ugh… Diamond Tiara…,” she answered automatically.

“Diamond?” Cookie reflected. “Who is that, Hun? She a nasty custom’ah?”

“Uh… She always was, yeah. I… I guess she hasn’t been lately… I mean… I remember how bitchy she was when we were kids… She’s not like that now, but… I mean, she’s still stuck up, still looks down on everyone… and it’s so damn irritating. I just want to rip her smug face right off her skull sometimes!” Scootaloo’s volume rose a little with each pause.

“In the fridge, third drawer from the top, pull out a dozen carrots and cut them up, would’ja, Hun?” Cookie requested. “Also, the knives are on the backsplash under the cupboard. Sweetie told me you know how to use them since you cook for your whole family, so I’ll trust ya, Hun. As for the cutting board, there’s one over there on the counter right now.”

Scootaloo nodded and navigated the kitchen with ease. She collected the bag of carrots and withdrew a dozen onto the cutting board, then retrieved the knife from above the backsplash and actually spun it around a finger before proceeding to cut the carrots. “Can do, Mrs. Belle!”

“After ya are done with that, you can work on the celery,” Cooke resumed. “You’re such as sweet doll, Hun.”

“Um… Okay… and… thanks?” Scootaloo said, rubbing the back of her neck as she briefly moved the next carrot down and resumed cutting.

Cookie began to add a few spices into the pot as she said, “Ya know, you’re going to be surrounded by bullies all the time, Hun. In grade school, High School, College and af’tah, you name it. The important thing toe remem’bah is not to let them get un’dah yo skin, Hun. That way, they can rant and rave all they want and they’re not gonna get any’weh. Drives them nuts, it does. Sometimes it’s kind’ah hilarious. But, if you do let them get un’dah your skin then they control you. They can get you to hurt yo friends, yourself, get ya suspended … thah works.”

“I… I don’t think that was Diamond’s plan exactly… but I see what you mean,” Scootaloo said quietly.

“You’re in charge of yo own life, Hun. You’re the captain of your own ship. You set the course and set sail for wherev’ah you want, Hun. Don’t let bullies hijack your ship. They ain’t worth it. You need to not let stowaways on your ship.”

With that, Cookie lifted her ladle to her lips and sipped some of the water for a bit, then nodded in satisfaction. After that, she declared, “I’m going to let that boil for a few minutes. Time for me to chop up some of the potatoes.”

When she moved to do so, she asked along her way to the fridge, “You hungry, Hun? Staying for dinner?”

“Uh… Can I? I’d like that,” Scootaloo expressed, sounding a little unsure of herself.

“You sound unsure of yourself, Hun. What’s the problem?” Cookie asked as she pulled out a bag of potatoes from the fridge then moved to another cutting board next to Scootaloo.

“I really want to trust Sweetie on this one… She says Diamond isn’t like that anymore… That she’s not a bully… I’m just not sure… but… for Sweetie? I’ll check myself. I won’t attack Diamond… I’ll give her a chance. If she gives me one,” Scootaloo finished quietly.

Cookie shrugged as she said, while pulling out some of the potatoes and cutting out the eyes of the potatoes. “Well, people change all the time, Hun. It’s important to give people a chance sometimes. Doesn’t mean you have to forgive them for past mistakes, but if they change then it’s like blaming a new, innocent person. Plus, I know my daughtah is a sharp cookie, pardon the pun. She’s a great judge of charact’ah, so if she says this Diamond gal has changed, then she probably has. Honestly, from what you’re telling me, that sounds like a great thing because she used to be so bad, eh? If people like that make a sincere effort to change, it should be encouraged. You see what I’m saying?” Cookie asked with a hopeful tone.

Scootaloo grumbled, and nodded grudgingly as she moved on to cutting up celery after passing Cookie the cut-up carrots. “I guess so. I’ll try, at least. Just… one snide remark… and I don’t know…”

“I know you can be a good girl and a really good friend,” Cookie remarked. “I’m not saying that Diamond will be easy to get along with and she may push your buttons at times, but you don’t haf’tah let her win, Hun. You stay true to yourself and do what you think is right.”

“Yeah… Alright,” Scootaloo said as she set to cutting up the celery.


Sweetie sat on her bed as Diamond tried on various shirts. While that happened, Diamond cringed tightly to have even more of her scars fully revealed now that her upper blouse was off.

“Diamond… It’s nothing I haven’t already seen, okay?” Sweetie assured.

“I know. It’s just … I have this fear that it will somehow drive you away. It doesn’t matter how irrational the thought is. I just can’t shake it,” Diamond replied meekly. During that time, Diamond sifted through some of the clothes in Sweetie’s closet with Sweetie’s earlier encouragement. After a while, she lifted her eyebrows, impressed. “Most of these outfits actually look pretty cute. I expected these things to be a lot tackier considering your family’s budget.”

Sweetie blinked, “What do you mean? Daddy makes a pretty good living at Rich Athletics… We’re fine,” Sweetie said, “And I’m not going to leave you for anything. Don’t worry.”

“Well,” Diamond looked down, “I guess I’m just used to thinking of everyone as poor compared to my family. As such, I expected your standards to be so poor that they would be downright disgusting. But this,” Diamond pulled out an outfit. A pale blue shirt, with a puppy printed on the chest, and white capri pants made of something like velvet, hung on the hanger. While still holding it, she waved to indicate it and said, “This is pretty impressive. I dare say, it’s downright fashionable. It’s as if you know someone in the …” Diamond trailed off as she realized something, then looked at Sweetie Belle with a sly look. “Rarity is responsible for your wardrobe, isn’t she? If she didn’t’ design it herself, she might have selected, or at least recommended, these outfits.

“I remember, back in High School, she used to be pretty obsessed with these sorts of things.”

“She’s responsible for a lot of it, I’ll admit. But… I learned from her, too, and that one I picked for myself. She’s in college now, studying business and fashion design. She’s gonna be huge! I can tell!” Sweetie gushed.

Diamond seemed to have mixed feelings about that statement. After a pause, she shrugged and said, “Can I try on this outfit?”

“You can try whatever you want, Diamond,” Sweetie said with a bright smile, “I know you’ll make it all look good.”

“Thanks,” Diamond replied with an empty tone. “Um.” She looked around the room for a place to change, then gave Sweetie a questioning look as she asked, “Should I change in the bathroom, or …”

“Do you want me to step out?” Sweetie asked, “Because I will.”

“It’s your room,” Diamond reminded. “Maybe I’m the one who should step out. Besides, you’re injured so you shouldn’t move around too much.”

“Right, that settles it,” Sweetie stood up, “You can always just change in front of me. I’ll just turn around. Or, I can leave. Up to you, but those are your choices.”

Diamond looked down and flushed, but otherwise stood there and said nothing.

“Okay,” Sweetie smiled as she took up her cane and started hobbling toward her door.

“You … you don’t have to go,” Diamond whined in a small voice. “I told you … you shouldn’t move around too much. Won’t it delay your recovery or something?”

“I don’t know. I don’t think so? I’m supposed to be walking if I can, but, okay,” Sweetie returned to her bed, drew up her legs, and turned around. “Let me know when you’re ready, okay?”

“Um … okay,” Diamond agreed in a small voice.

Diamond spent the next several minutes taking off the remains of her outfit, aside from her underwear, then put on the new one. Once that was done, she adjusted the new outfit’s little details with a practiced eye.

“And… Thank you… It means a lot to me to hear you compliment my clothes, and my sister,” Sweetie said sincerely.

“I’m just surprised,” Diamond said as she continued to adjust the details of the outfit. “I thought peasants would have poor and pathetic outfits, but you’ve actually got some quality here. It might not be super expensive or imported, but in terms of fashionable … this stuff is pretty impressive.”

“Give it time, Diamond. Rarity’s stuff will be in the highest demand pretty quickly!” Sweetie said, confident and braggy.

“Um … okay. I think I’m done,” Diamond announced. When Sweetie turned about and looked back at Diamond, Diamond posed for her. “So … what do you think?”

“Gorgeous…,” Sweetie said just above her breath, on reflex, before shaking her head, “Uh, I mean amazing!”

Diamond blushed a bit, but she also looked happy.

“I really love your smile, Diamond. It fits you perfectly,” Sweetie said, then blushed.

‘I, ah … didn’t have much reason to smile until you came along into my life.” Her eyes shifted to the left, then she rephrased that. “Well, I had some good times with Silver too.” She looked down sadly. “I don’t know if that will ever happen again.” Her eyes looked up at Sweetie while her face remained diagonally downward. “You pressured me into getting along with Scootaloo, and I have my doubts. Just as much, I’m not sure how we’ll ever get along with Silver Spoon as well. She seems stuck on the idea that being rich also means innately elite.”

“I think she’ll come around. We can talk to her together, okay? She’s worth it. She’s your friend, right?” Sweetie asked.

“I, ah,” she rubbed her arms in discomfort as she looked off to her left side. “I just don’t know. I want her to be. That’s all I know, but if she continues to bad mouth or belittles you … I don’t think I can stand that.”

“Do you want me to talk to her myself? I think she’s with Snails now, right? Maybe he can help?” Sweetie said, thinking aloud.

Diamond immediately looked at Sweetie and asked in surprise, “You know about that? About Snails and Silver, that is? Geeze, Sweetie. Even I didn’t know about that until last night.” Diamond squinted at Sweetie. “Do you have an innate talent for knowing who everyone’s relationship is? You even know about that Skeedaddle fellow.”

“I helped him get together with Kettle Corn… but no… Just about everyone knows. It was so a huge rumor when it started out, like ‘Really? Silver settled for Snails?’ but, I thought it was cute, and I saw that he was pretty good to her… and she’d stopped being too mean, too. Makes me wonder, how’s she dating Snails and still looking down at everyone? He’s not even close to being rich.”

Diamond shook her head in disbelief as she said, “I used to be her best friend. How is it that I’m the last person to find out these things?”

“You’ve been missing school constantly for months now, and I don’t think I’ve seen you and Silver talking much for longer than that…,” Sweetie replied.

Diamond thought about it for a moment, then advised as she focused on Sweetie’s olive-green eyes, “If you want to talk to Silver about our relationship, I recommend doing it with Snails. You might even want to convince him to deliver the message. I think he’d respond positively to your outreach, but Silver is another story if you reach out to her.” Diamond shook her head. “The fact of the matter is … you’re not rich enough to be worthy of her attention, so you’re beneath her and it’s insulting to someone of that station to converse with their lessers. Snails seems to be a really weird exception.”

Sweetie nodded, “Alright, I’ll keep that in mind. Hopefully I’ll be back in school soon,” Sweetie said as she stood up, took up her cane and hobbled toward her door. “Ready to meet my mom?”

Diamond followed Sweetie and said along the way, “I hope you’ll be back at school soon, too.” Her chin wrinkled. “It’s been so hard at school lately. All those people watching me and judging me. Now I want to be more absent than ever, but the election is coming up and … honestly, I don’t care about it, but my mother does. She’d kill me if I don’t kill myself. Either way, I’m in severe danger.” When they arrived at the door, she squinted her eyes at Sweetie as she asked, “Incidentally, can you give me any idea which way you’ll vote for?”

“Diamond, I’ll always vote for you,” Sweetie said with a smile, “And don’t worry, I’ll chase away anyone staring at you.”

Diamond’s eyes watered at Sweetie as she said, “Thank you!”

Sweetie giggled, lifting up her cane and pretended to talk like an old man “Hey, you dirty, rotten kids! You quit staring at my friend here before I box your ears!”

Diamond giggled sweetly at Sweetie’s comment.


Sweetie, with Diamond’s help, managed her way back down the stairs and guided Diamond toward the kitchen where they could hear Scootaloo and Cookie having a conversation. Sweetie hobbled all the way to the point where the wall fell away and opened up into the kitchen, holding Diamond’s hand.

But, once they arrived there, Sweetie Belle noticed Diamond lingering behind at the threshold into the kitchen. For that, Sweetie Belle looked back at Diamond reassuringly and said, “Do you want me to talk to her first?“

“I … I still don’t know if I can do this,” Diamond said nervously. “What if she hurts you again or tries to hurt me? I’ve had to put up with many nasty stares earlier at school.”

Unbeknownst to Diamond, Scootaloo overheard seventy percent of what Diamond said.

Scootaloo stepped into the hallway, her hands folded behind her back, and spoke up gently, “Why are people staring at you at school?”

Diamond shrank back at the sight of Scootaloo and hid behind Sweetie Belle with fright.

Sweetie made no move to reveal Diamond, but did speak up to assure her, “Scootaloo’s not going to hurt either of us,” Sweetite promised to Diamond, then turned to regard Scootaloo as she added, “right?”

“Right. I’m not… So…. What’s going on at school? Did I miss something?” Scootaloo asked.

Diamond continued to cower behind Sweetie Belle, so Sweetie realized it’s probably up to her to explain.

While thinking about it, it also occurred to her that anything she explained to Scootaloo, her mother would also overhear. Sweetie may be sworn to secrecy about some things, but what happened at school was now common knowledge.

“There’s a video going around the school… Um… In it… Diamond is in the girl’s room at school, and she’s vomiting… Making herself do it, actually,” Sweetie said, reaching behind her and taking Diamond’s hand again.

“What? Really? Who’d do something like that?!” Scootaloo asked, a small amount of anger creeping into her voice, “And… and how?!”

“Um… someone recorded her, she didn’t see who, and didn’t even know anyone had been there with her until this video went out. It was sent out across the CHS Public Network, to everyone’s phones,” Sweetie explained.

“Damn. If I ever find out who did that… I dunno… but it won’t be pretty,” Scootaloo said clumsily.

You should probably call the police if you find the culprit,” Diamond said in such a small, meek voice that Sweetie doubted anyone other than herself heard that.

“Huh? What was that?” Scootaloo asked, having understood none of that.

“Diamond? You’ve got to speak up a bit, okay?” Sweetie encouraged Diamond then explained to Scootaloo, “And she said you should probably call the police if you find the people that did it.”

“I want my turn first,” Scootaloo replied.

“This is really upsetting to you, huh?” Sweetie asked. “Um… You mind if I get in there and sit down? My leg is getting shaky,” she requested.

“Oh yeah! Come on. Sorry about that,” Scootaloo apologized as she turned and walked back into the kitchen.

Diamond actually rushed ahead to pull back a seat for Sweetie then invited her to sit on it.

During that time, Cookie continued to prepare dinner while pretending she wasn’t eavesdropping on the very local conversation.

Sweetie smiled at Diamond as she took the seat, “Thank you,” she said to Diamond then spoke to her mother. “Mom? I’d like to introduce you to a new friend of mine… this is Diamond Tiara Rich.”

Meanwhile, Scootaloo sat across the table from Diamond while observing Diamond sit down next to Sweetie Belle.

“Oh, hello, deary,” Cookie said brightly while she continued to prepare your meal. “It’s so good to hear that my daughter is expanding her circle of friendship. Are you interested to join her little club, the Cutie Mark Crusaders?”

Diamond looked taken aback by that question, then replied, “Well, um … to be honest, I haven’t thought about that.”

“That’s okay, Hun. Take your time.

“By the way, if you stay for a few more hours, you’re welcome to join us for dinner. It should be ready around six or seven’ish, so you got some time. My husband should be arriving from work around that time, too. I’m sure he’d also love to meet you. It’s always nice to have more friends. Don’t you agree?”

“Uh, yeah. Yeah, it helps,” Diamond agreed softly. She glanced over at Scootaloo to gauge her reaction. In doing so, Diamond noticed that Scootaloo seemed at ease with the idea.

“I’m always down with having more friends,” Scootaloo said.

Noticing Scootaloo’s reaction put Diamond in a bit more ease, but she remained very nervous.

“Hey,” Scootaloo said, her voice actually going soft, “Wanna take a swing at me?”

Diamond cringed and shook her head at Scootaloo, but otherwise said nothing.

“Okay, no problem. Offer stands. I deserve it after what I did to Sweetie… and honestly? For even trying to go after you. That wasn’t right. I’m sorry, Diamond,” Scootaloo said quietly.

Diamond simply nodded in meek acceptance, but she still looked afraid.

“Scootaloo, I’ve already forgiven you… Stop beating yourself up, okay? You’re an amazing friend, and you always were. You’ve been angry since… well… losing your parents… and I try to understand that,” Sweetie said softly.

Scootaloo blinked while looking at Diamond, slightly worried about what her reaction would be. She noted Diamond’s lack of surprise, first, but then also noted the presence of sympathy.

“Wait… She knows?”

Sweetie nods, “Yeah, she does.”

“...You told her?” Scootaloo asked, her voice just on the edge of a tremor.

“Yes. I did. You know I wouldn’t have if I didn’t trust her, right?” Sweetie asked.

“I know I didn’t swear you to secrecy, but jeez Sweets, I wish you’d have asked me first… Especially to Diamond Taira,” Scootaloo said, before catching herself, “You know that’s a touchy subject… fuck..”

“Um,” Diamond began meekly, then asked, “if you don’t mind telling me … how did they die?”

Scootaloo’s gaze shifted back to Diamond, eyes slightly narrowing, “I’m… not ready to talk to you about that yet,” she said firmly.

“Oh. I see.” Diamond looked down in depression. “I understand.”

Sweetie turned to Diamond, “Don’t feel bad. She’s only talked to me and Applebloom about it, no one else. This isn’t because it’s you, it’s because it isn’t either one of us,” Sweetie explained.

Scootaloo didn’t argue.

“Yeah,” Diamond said with sad acceptance. “This probably means I’m not welcome in your little club either, and I don’t want to intrude.”

“Oh for fuck’s sake,” Scootaloo grumbled, “What did Sweetie just say to you? And what makes you think you aren’t welcome in ‘our little club’?” she asked, partially mocking Diamond’s voice.

“Ladies, language,” Cookie lightly scolded as she continued cooking.

“Um. Sorry, Mrs. Belle,” Scootaloo said.

I just, um … don’t feel that I would really be welcome in the club, especially after everything that I’ve done,” Diamond mumbled softly, almost too low in volume to be heard.

“That’s… that’s all old news… Happened years ago,” Scootaloo said, “Get over it.”

Diamond frowned as she looked down at her lap. She appeared very uncomfortable.

“Scoots, could you please be nicer?” Sweetie asked.

Scootaloo frowned, “I’m trying, okay?”

“Try harder, please,” Sweetie encouraged.

Scootaloo took a deep breath, closing her eyes.

“I, um … I should go,” Diamond said sadly then started to stand up.

No!” they both cried out at once. Sweetie grabbed Diamond’s wrist gently while Scootaloo stood up from her seat.

Diamond shifted her eyes back and forth between Sweetite and Scootaloo in surprise as she slowly sat down.

Sweetie leaned a little closer, bringing her face to Diamond’s face. “It’s okay… Everything is okay. No one here is going to hurt you.”

Scootaloo nodded in agreement, unseen by Sweetie.

“I just …” she continued to look back and forth between Sweetie and Scootaloo “... didn’t want to come between you again and start another fight.”

Scootaloo inched forward, moving around the table until she neared Sweetie, then gently put a hand on Sweetie’s shoulder before talking again. “If what I did didn’t do that, then it won’t happen. You sure won’t be what comes between us, and she has always forgiven me when I’m stupid.”

“Oh. Um … okay.” Diamond’s face flushed and she looked down.

Sweetie gently wrapped her arms around Diamond, noticeably leaning on the girl as she hugged her tight.

Scootaloo gagged and backed away.

“So, um,” Diamond fidget uncomfortably. “What, ah … what do the two of you want to do?” She looked up and back and forth between them. “What do you Crusaders usually do?”

“We try new stuff,” Scootaloo said, oversimplifying the point.

“Um… We do try new stuff, and we find what we like to do. It’s nice to have friends to do that with. I… I never would have sung in front of anyone before Scootaloo pushed me. We make each other stronger,” Sweetie expanded.

“Oh, “ Diamond said simply because she didn’t know how she could fit into this group dynamic, especially since one of them was so potentially hostile.

“Sweets, you bought me that skateboard… You’ve pushed me, too. Why else would I have done all those tricks to show off to that little crowd the other week?”

Sweetie shrugged, pulling away from Diamond. “What do you like to do?” she asked as she looked at Diamond.

Diamond shrugged as she replied, “I don’t know.”

“How can you not know?” Scootaloo asked, a little huffy.

Diamond shrugged again and repeated, “I don’t know.”

“Well, we’ll help you to figure that out, okay?” Sweetie assured.

“Okay,” Diamond replied nervously.

“So, why aren’t you hangin’ out with Silver Spoon anymore?” Scootaloo asked as she returned to her seat.

“I, uh,” she shrugged her arms in discomfort while she squirmed, “I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Oh. Fine,” Scootaloo said with a shrug.

Sweetie kept hold of Diamond’s hand as she sat down.

Diamond kept quiet since she didn’t know what to say.

“So… um…,” Scootaloo began, “You ever just tried something new?”

“Um … no. Not really,” Diamond replied.

“Why not?” Scootaloo pushed.

“I’m just …” Diamond shrugged lightly. “I’m not allowed to. It’s not appropriate for a lady of my station.” She frowned as she looked down. “I shouldn’t even be here. I don’t know what’s come over me lately.”

“You insultin’ Sweetie?” Scootaloo asked, suddenly intense.

“Scootaloo!” Sweetie turned to face her friend, “She’s not insulting me. Calm down!”

Scootaloo folded her arms and looked away.

Sweetie turned back to Diamond, “But what do you mean by that?”

Diamond looked down and shut down ever since Scootaloo accused her of insulting Sweetie. At that moment, she just wanted to leave. She shook her head to provide a dim reply.

Sweetie frowned at Scootaloo, then turned back and squeezed Diamond’s hand. “We both know you weren’t insulting me, okay?”

Diamond looked at Sweetie with misty eyes.

Sweetie smiled, gently wiping away any tears she saw.

Scootaloo groaned. “Can you two get a room or something already?” Scootaloo blurted out while rolling her eyes in disgust.

Sweetie snapped her head around at Scootaloo, eyes going wide, before glaring at her and closing her eyes.

Scootaloo blinked.

I want to go,” Diamond said in a barely audible tone under her breath.

Sweetie winced, “Diamond, why?” she pleaded.

Diamond shook her head and replied, “I just don’t fit in here. I don’t know what to do.” She glanced at Sweetie. “And you know I’ve been under a lot of pressure.”

“I have an idea!” Cookie Crumbles chimed in brightly. “If talking to each other provides too much pressure, how about doing something fun instead, such as Pony Party Six?”

“Oh!” Sweeties voice squeaked, “That sounds fun! Wanna try that Diamond?”

“Uh.” Diamond gave Sweetie Belle a questioning look. “Pony Party Six? What’s that?”

“It’s a game for the Wee Ultimate! It’s a lot of fun. It’setter with more players. too! Scootaloo, you’re playing!” It wasn’t a question.

‘The Wee?!” Diamond asked with an intense wince of disgust. “I’m not sure if I want to play something like that.”

“It’s… a video game? What?” Sweetie raised an eyebrow.

“Playing something called ‘Wee Ultimate’ sounds disgusting. LIke something we’d need to do in the bathroom,” Diamond said back.

“Okay, yeah, but it’s so not like that!” Sweetie assured her.

“That’s… some imagination you’ve got, Di,” Scootaloo said.

“So, after dinner?” Sweetie asked brightly.

“Actually, it will probably be a few ow’waz, my dear. That’s plenty of time to go off and play with your new friends. Why don’t you all go run off and do that?” Cookie recommended.

“Sounds good to me,” Scootaloo said as she marched off to the living room without further ado.

“Is it fun?” Diamond asked with uncertainty as she started to stand up, following Sweetie’s prompt to do so.

“I think it is!” Sweetie said excitedly as she stood up, almost immediately stumbling forward. In response, Diamond grabbed one of Sweetie’s arms to help steady the other girl as they made their way into the living room. Once they arrived, they noticed Scootaloo already fishing out the Pony Party Six game then fed it into a video game console that Diamond was not familiar with.

“I’m player one!” Scootaloo announced, “You want player two, Sweets?” Scootaloo asked as she held out the next controller.

Sweetie accepted the controller then sat on the floor. “Yeah. That’s fine.”

Scootaloo nodded and held out another controller. “Diamond, you’re player three.”

“Um … okay.” Diamond examined the unfamiliar controller. “Just what are we supposed to do in this game anyway?”

“Depends on what you roll and where you land,” Scootaloo said offhandedly, “Easier to play and find out, I think.”

Sweetie nodded in agreement, “It’s silly. Usually it would be Scoots, me, and Applebloom. I’m so happy you’re here!”

Diamond flashed Sweetie a tender smile for a moment before regarding the television as Scootaloo turned on the game. She watched the video game system logo which was a lower case “p” in rainbow colors which rolled across the black background until the “Wee” logo lit up.

Diamond learned that the game involved up to six players. In this case, the other three player slots were taken up by computer-controlled characters, and Scootaloo set each one of them at a different AI level. The game itself involved taking turns rolling some dice then navigating their selected character across a virtual map. All of the selectable characters were ponies of various kinds, of whom they had to navigate across a magical land with a fantasy setting. Along the way, they often landed upon squares that started some kind of mini-game, and the rules for each one was different, including who was on whose team. There was also something about collecting rainbow coins and carrots. The end objective was to collect some mcguffin item called the Golden Horseshoe. Whoever collects the most Golden Horseshoes, which cost a certain amount of rainbow coins, wins the board.

Diamond needed some time to get the handle on the game but, once she got into it, she did find it honestly fun.


“SWEETIE BELLE, DARLING, THE PHONE IS FOR YOU,” Sweetie’s mother, Cookie, called from the kitchen. “BE A DOLL AND PICK IT UP FOR ME, WOULD’JA, HUN? IT’S ONE OF YOUR FAVORITE TEACHERS, MISS SUNSET SHIMMER.”

“Ms. Shimmer?” Sweetie wondered aloud as she took up the living room receiver, “Hello?”

When Sweetie Belle picked up on her end, her mother hung up.

“Hi, Sweetie Belle,” Sunset greets sweetly on the phone, but she was a bit difficult to hear with some of the background noise. “Are you feeling any better?”

“A little, yeah. I’m walking a little more… and Mom got me medicine, so the headaches aren’t so bad now.” Sweetie answered.

“That’s great!” Sunset cheered. “I’m so happy to hear that you’re feeling better. I hope you’ll feel well enough to return to school soon.”

“I hope so too. I know I’m falling behind a little. Principal Twilight arranged to have my homework sent to my home computer, at least,” Sweetie said.

“Well, that’s one advantage to the CHS Public Network when it isn’t hacked,” Sunset mentioned. “They actually had it shut down yesterday for investigation. Most of the faculty have grown to rely upon it enough that lacking it threw them for a loop. We almost closed down the entire school. I’m telling you, things are crazy down here. Then there is all that fiasco about the video of Diamond spreading around, the Superintendent yelling at Twilight, and …” Sunset expelled a deep breath. “Well, I just hope that things return to normal soon.

“I’m currently in the printing room to print out a bunch of copies of Scootaloo’s homework because she doesn’t have access to a good computer, or was it a good internet access? She’s grounded from using her phone, too, so I am going to deliver the papers over to her later.

“Anyway, I have a quick question for you. Have you seen Diamond Tiara? She ditched school, again, earlier today. After everything that’s happening to her on campus and the rumors spreading about, I honestly can’t blame her this time.”

“Oh she’s…,” Sweetie looked over at Diamond for a moment.

Diamond waited for Sweetie to return while sitting on the living room couch. She was looking forward to them to resume another round of Pony Party Six. Catching the look from Sweetie, she returned it with a questioning look, wondering what Sweetie was talking about on the phone.

“Uh … Sweetie … is she over there at your house?” Sunset checked.

Sweetie sighed. She could not lie to Sunset Shimmer. “...Yes,” Sweetie answered quietly.

“Oh! Um, okay. How is she doing?” Sunset checked. “Is she staying at your house, or … what’s the plan? How are we going to do this?”

“I’d have to ask my mom, but I don’t think that would be a problem… She’s okay, I think. She’s a little shaken up… um…,” Sweetie looked at Diamond, “Did you want to stay over here, Diamond?” Sweetie asked gently.

Diamond opened her mouth to answer, but then hesitated. She felt very nervous earlier when she entered the kitchen, but the Pony Party Six was some of the most fun she ever had.

Then there was Sunset Shimmer to consider. Should she keep being a burden on her? Is being a burden in the Belle home any better?

Feeling indecisive, she started to close up again and said to Sweetie with a slight cringe, “Um … I’m not sure. I don’t want to be a bother.”

“MOM!” Sweetie yelled across the house.

“YEAH?” Sweetie’s mother called back from within the kitchen.

“CAN DIAMOND STAY HERE TONIGHT?!” Sweetie yelled back.

“SURE, HUN. WHATEVER YOU LIKE. I ENJOY IT WHEN YOU HAVE YOUR FRIENDS OVER. JUST MAKE SURE YOU DON’T PUSH YOURSELF TOO HARD, OKAY? AND LIGHTS OUT AT TEN.”

“YES MOM! THANK YOU! LOVE YOU!” Sweetie yelled back, then lowered her voice and addressed Sunset, “I think Diamond will be staying here tonight, okay?”

“Are you sure that’s okay?” Diamond asked with uncertainty. “Do you want me to stay the night?”

While Diamond said that, Sunset said, “What about Diamond? Does she want to spend the night with you?”

“Diamond, do you want to spend the night here? It’s no bother at all. We have a guest room set up for just such an occasion.” Sweetie asked, and explained.

“Uh, okay. I suppose I could, then,” Diamond replied with a slight smile on her face which Scootaloo noticed.

Scootaloo raised an eyebrow, but otherwise offered no comment. Sweetie returned to the phone call “She’s okay with that.”

“What about you?” Diamond asked Scootaloo. “Are you staying the night too?”

While Diamond asked that, Sunset said on the phone, “Well, if it’s alright with her and your mother, I suppose she can stay the night. I can send over homework on her student account, too. Do you have a spare computer to share with her? Or maybe you can time-share the one you got. Also, she’ll come to school tomorrow? Does she know the way from there, or should I pick her up?”

Scootaloo grimaced. “Slate’s gonna kill me… No, I can’t stay. I should be going soon… but I don’t wanna miss Mrs. Belle’s cooking.”

Sweetie smiled at Scootaloo, then looked at Diamond. “Daddy can take you to school in the morning. He goes by there all the time on his way to work. That should be okay. Ms. Shimmer said she’d send your homework along. You can use my computer for that if you want.”

“Sure,” Diamond said simply to Sweetie then turned to look at Scootaloo as she asked, “Who is Slate? Your father?”

“S..Sort of? Foster Father,” Scootaloo clarified.

“Well, if you are all sure, I’ll leave her to you, then,” Sunset said on the phone. “If you have any problems, be sure to call me and let me know. I’ll do everything I can to help.

“With that out of the way, I was considering to start a new YouTube channel of myself playing video games. Got any ideas for a cool name for the account? I was thinking of going with, ‘Girl’ underscore, ‘Gamer’ underscore, and ‘Rocks’. What do you think?”

“I think that fits you perfectly Ms. Shimmer! I’m gonna follow you right away!” Sweetie squeaked.

“Well, we’ll see if anyone else does.

“Anyway, if things are taken care of over there then I’ll leave you to it.

“By the way, Sweetie Belle, thank you so much for taking care of Diamond. You’re a real sweetheart. She’s been through a lot lately so it’s nice that she has a friend to help take care of her. I just want to make sure you know that I really appreciate that.”

“She’s my friend. Of course I’m gonna take care of her. Scoots is her friend, too. She’s not alone,” Sweetie assured Sunset, “It’s really my pleasure to have her here.”

“Thanks, Sweetie. You have a big heart. I hope that …

“Whoa. Wait a second. Did you mean you’d enjoy having Diamond over, or Scoots?”

“Diamond, of course. Scootaloo just happens to be a friend of hers now too,” Sweetie clarified with a giggle.

“Really? Since when?” Sunset reflected in surprise. “You said she is a friend of hers now. Does that mean Scootaloo is over there too?”

“Oh! Uh… I… Yes…,” Sweetie answered, refusing to lie to Sunset.

“You sure everything is alright out there?” Sunset checked with worry. “I remember how Scoots reacted to Diamond in my office.”

“Everything is fine. They’re getting along. We’ve been playing Pony Party Six,” Sweetie assured.

“Oh Sweetie, that’s wonderful to hear!” Sunset cheered on her end of the phone. “Finally things are looking up for the poor old girl … which … is actually an ironic statement coming from someone whose literal last name is Rich … and she’s rich.” Sunset giggled. “Well, that aside, does Scootaloo need me to give her a ride to her house if she’s not staying the night?”

“Scoots, you want Ms. Shimmer to take you home?”

Scootaloo’s features brightened. “On the motorcycle? Hell yes!”

“Uh… She’ll take you up on that, but she wants to have dinner here first. Is that okay?” Sweetie asked.

“Sure,” Sunset replied. “In that case, what time does she want me to pick her up? Or she can call me when she’s ready.

“Incidentally, what are you having for dinner?”

“Mom’s making some kind of stew, I think. Scootaloo can call you on my phone when she’s ready, sure,” Sweetie said.

“Okay,” Sunset accepted. “That’s acceptable. Enjoy your dinner! That sounds really delicious. As for me, I was thinking of picking myself up a pizza along my way home along with some breadsticks and cheesesticks. That, and a Mountain Goat soda. That should be good enough snacks while I create my first YouTube account. Wish me luck!”

“How are you so thin?!” Sweetie asked in a hushed voice.

“I bet you Diamond would have asked me that, too,” Sunset figured. “And the answer is … I’m not going to eat the whole pizza tonight. Plus, I work out. Do some stretching exercises, some jogging, and martial arts practice.”

“Oh. That makes sense. I should see if Scootaloo can show me some martial arts exercises… for when I’m better,’ Sweetie said.

“Oh yes! Definitely wait till you get better first!” Sunset strongly encouraged. “As for your interest, I’m almost surprised, but then I recalled the fact that, as Crusaders, you tend to try out all kinds of things.

“By the way, would it interest you to know that your pony counterparts in Equestria are best friends too? And, in addition, they formed a club that’s basically a helpline for those with cutie mark problems? Princess Twilight told me that a few years ago.”

“Oh, that’s neat. Good for them!” Sweetie said with a light cheer, then looked at Diamond again. “I… I think Diamond wants to get back to the game, so I’m gonna let ya go now. Okay, Ms. Shimmer?”

“Oh? What game are you playing?” Sunset asked with sudden interest.

“Um… Told you earlier. Pony Part Six,” Sweetie reminded.

“Oh, that’s right! You did say that earlier. I’m sorry. My bad.

“Well, I’ll let you go. Call me if you need anything, and I really hope you girls have fun.

“Oh, and one more thing before you hang up. Applebloom had a message for you last I spoke to her in class. Or, rather, just after class. She said she hopes you feel better, and she’ll come around and visit tomorrow. I told her that you’d probably need a few more days to recover. Is there any message you want me to say to her next I see her?” Sunset offered.

“Thank you and I can’t wait to see her! Hope she’ll get along with Diamond,” Sweetie said.

“Huh. Pushing all of your friends to be friends with Diamond now. That’s so like you, Sweetie Belle.

“Anyway, I’ll tell her the message when next I see her. She might be a bit confused by it but I’ll let you do the explaining when next you see her.

“Well, I’ll see you briefly later on tonight when Scoots gives me a call to pick her up. Have a swell time!”

“Thank you!” Sweetie hung up the phone and returned to her controller.


The rest of the evening was pleasant. Hondo had arrived home just before dinner, and had been introduced to Diamond. He was careful not to reveal Sweetie’s secret to either of her friends, and was friendly as well. The group of five sat down to do dinner and enjoyed Cookie’s homemade stew, served in a bread bowl. Cookie served herself a glass of wine, Hondo just had a glass of water, Sweetie also had a glass of water, Scootaloo grabbed a Colt a Cola, and Diamond had a glass of mint tea, heated, with hers. Diamond mostly just played with her food, avoiding eating it as much as possible.

Diamond tensed up at the sight of the wine glass in Cookie’s hand, but she kept any comments to herself.

The night drew to a close. Sunset arrived to collect Scootaloo who was certain she would be dead by morning. Sunset promised to attend Scootaloo’s funeral if that should be the case. She even suspected she’d shed a few tears.

Hondo retired to the living room, turning on a sportscast of some description, while Sweetie hobbled to the stairs. Diamond followed Sweetie up the stairs. Along the way, she asked what the shower situation was in this house and when would it take place.

“Up to you. Mom will go first, and then you can go if you want. I can wait. It’s no problem,” Sweetie said, “You were in that bathroom earlier, so you could even take a bath if you wanted. You can take any of my pajamas you want, too.”

“Well,” Diamond said with a look of dry humor on her face, “at least I know where the tub is. That’s one item ticked off the checklist.”

“You can use all my stuff, too, okay?” Sweetie assured.

“Ah, sure.” Diamond smiled gratefully at Sweetie as she said, “Thanks, Sweetie Belle. You really are a very good friend.”

“You are too, Diamond,” Sweetie said with a smile.

Sweetie, with Diamond’s help, managed her way to the top of the stairs, and took a moment to catch her breath. “Thank you for your help, Diamond…” Sweetie said.

“Sure. No problem. Have to pay you back some for helping to save my life and all,” Diamond replied softly.

“Don’t… Don’t ever hesitate, don’t ever even think of second-guessing this… You can call me, come to me, talk to me… I’m here for you, okay?” Sweetie asked.

Diamond nodded numbly and said, “Sure.”

“So, do you want to take the shower first?”

“Uh, yeah … if you don’t mind,” Diamond replied meekly but also hopefully.

“No, of course I don’t mind,” Sweetie replied, starting to hobble toward her room, “You should choose what you’ll change into then, okay?”

“I’m not as familiar with your wardrobe. I’d appreciate some advice on that front,” Diamond requested.

“Sure, come on,” Sweetie hobbled in front of Diamond, stumbling a moment but caught herself this time by throwing a hand out to the wall. After she recovered, Diamond followed Sweetie Belle.

Sweetie led Diamond into her room and pointed to a pearl white dresser stood caddy cornered in her room. “In there. I think you’ll look good in the baby blue ones with the Little Equestrians characters on them.”

Diamond squinted at it and asked, “Isn’t that a little childish?”

“A little, yeah. So?” Sweetie asked with a shrug as she fell back onto her bed.

Diamond sighed in frustration, then said. “It’s … fine, I suppose. I’ll put it on. Not much other choice here, I guess.”

“Oh, I have about six other sets… I just thought that one would look the cutest on you… But you can choose something else if you don’t like it,” Sweetie assured.

“I said it’s fine!” Diamond expressed irritably as she went over to collect it. “Should I change here, or …?”

“Shouldn’t you shower first?” Sweetie asked, a little hurt and a little confused.

“Oh! Right. Of course.” Diamond sighed. “And I’ll have to wait for your mother to finish that, so … what do we do in the meantime?”

Sweetie tilted her head, deep in thought. “You ever talk about your first crush?”

“Ah … no. Not really,” Diamond asked defensively. “Why do you ask?”

“Just… Making small talk, that’s all,” Sweetie answered, “I’m sorry. I won’t pry there again.”

Diamond gave a sad frown at Sweetie for a second, then looked around for a place to sit. She saw Sweetie’s full-size bed, a plush chair set up at the corner on the other side of that bed, and a pink beanbag chair. From this, Diamond moved to sit down on the plush chair.

“Did you have something you wanted to talk about?” Sweetie asked.

“Not really,” Diamond moped. “It’s just that … I think I’m more trouble than I’m worth. I don’t know why you’re trying so hard to fix a broken girl like me. What’s in it for you?”

Sweetie blinked as she leaned forward on her bed and rested her chin on her hands, “In it for me? Not much. Just helping a friend. Though… I don’t see a lot that needs fixing, honestly. You’re… pretty close to perfect, near as I can tell,” Sweetie said self-consciously.

Diamond immediately looked at Sweetie with suspicion and confusion. She asked, “Why do you say that? What’s so ‘perfect’ about me? I’m the one with all the emotional issues here and … so many problems.”

“You think you’re the only one?” Sweetie asked.

“Only one what?” Diamond reflected.

“Only one with issues?” Sweetie clarified, her legs kicking back and forth behind her, though the right one didn’t move very fast or far.

Looking upon that made Diamond feel guilty again.

“You… forget… I grew up with Rarity in this house. My talented, beautiful, big sister… It’s… hard to shine when she’s around,” Sweetie said.

Diamond looked at Sweetie with a little uncertainty as she said, “Well, I didn’t grow up with your sister so I don’t know what it’s like. Plus, I’m an only child. I do know that Rarity strikes a bold impression, though. Part of me wonders if it’s just a mask or if that is who she really is. One thing is for sure … she’s not forgettable.”

“It’s… sort of a mask? She’s really insecure… She had a crush on this one guy for the longest time… Then she got an invitation to this Gala thing where he would be too… So she goes there, and it’s just as grand an occasion as she thought, and she was dressed for it too… But… It turned out he was a jerk… just totally selfish and ignorant… Guess there was some incident where a piece of cake went flying, and he dragged her in front of himself… Ruined the dress she made. She came home in tears that night… and I don’t think she’s been on a date since,” Sweetie said.

“Huh.” Diamond looked thoughtful with a blink. “That reminds me of another jerk I once heard of. A guy by the name of Blueblood.”

“Yeah! That’s him!” Sweetie cried out in recognition.

Diamond widened her eyes in shock at Sweetie. “That’s the same guy? Huh.” Her expression sank to normal. “Small world. The guy is something to look at, but if you talk to him … well … I guess he’s not that much different from most of the guests at my mother’s party.”

“He really hurt Rarity that night. She puts a lot of work into her dresses and stuff, and he ruined that one… She made it just to meet him in, too,” Sweetie said, “You know… I don’t think Mom really gets me...I know she loves me… I… um…,” Sweetie stoped talking, suddenly aware of what she’s about to say.

“Both of your parents seem like really nice people, and you are too, so … I don’t get how you can’t relate to them.”

Sweetie swallowed and closeed her eyes. She rolled over onto her back, bringing her hands over her face. “I… I want to tell you… I really do… I just… I don’t know…”

“Look, I’m not going to force you into anything after how kind you were to me, but if you want to tell me … I promise to listen,” Diamond said sincerely.

“I’ve only told Scootaloo… and that was really embarrassing… and I told Daddy, too… I don’t know how to tell my mom,” Sweetie said quietly.

“Why are you talking about her like you fear some inquisition? Trust me, your mother is nothing like my mom, so I don’t think you have any valid reason to fear her, and I don’t think you’d have the kind of secret that would freak her out, like some deep-seeded drive to murder people on top of buildings and such. Since I know you’re not that kind of person, I don’t see how this could be a big deal.”

Sweetie sighed, “Okay… so… Do you remember back in middle school, when Scootaloo and I kind of stopped talking for a while?”

“No,” Diamond quickly replied. “Remember, I was not in your little gang back then.”

Sweetie sighed, “You definitely noticed. You teased me about losing her as a friend, suddenly being alone… Probably went after Scootaloo too.”

Diamond looked taken aback as she asked “Really?” Then, with further thought, she realized that it did sound like something she would do back then given the situation. That realization shifted her look to one of guilt.

“Anyway… So do you remember around that time?” Sweetie asked, not dwelling on Diamond’s harassment.

“Not well. Maybe that’s a defense mechanism,” Diamond theorized. “But I get what you mean roughly, so go on.”

“It was my fault. I uh…,” Sweetie begins to twiddle her thumbs, “Um…”

“Yes?” Diamond prodded.

“I told her that I had a crush on her… It was… stupid… She’s not gay, and… she kinda stayed away from me for a bit until Applebloom came around. We started talking again a little over a year later.” Sweetie swallowed, almost continuing just to keep Diamond from being able to react. “She apologized for being gone so long, and said she didn’t hate me or anything… We got along fine after that, and she’s never told anyone about that, either.”

Diamond widened her eyes in a bit of shock, then asked, “Yer … you’re gay?”

Yes” Sweetie replied weakly.

“Huh.” Diamond blinked. “So that is why Button Mash cried a few years ago. I knew it had something to do with you. He kept moaning about, ‘Sweeeeetie Beeeeeeelle’! I thought it was pathetic, so of course I teased him about it because I was such a bitch.” She looked back at Sweetie. “Do you have feelings for him at all?”

“No… Not like that… He’s a nice guy. He’s sweet… But… I only want to be friends with him… I-I guess I did what Scootaloo did… just… pulled myself away from him… I dunno if it was to save him from shame… or save me the frustration.”

“Which is what I did to Silver,” Diamond realized morosely. “Only I did it in an attempt to protect and prepare her for the loss of me.”

Sweetie sighed, relieved at the change of topic, “Please don’t ever leave me like that. Promise?”

Diamond looked at Sweetie sadly, but there was a hint of a bittersweet smile on her lips. Eventually she nodded and said, “I promise … as long as you keep your promise to me.”

“Of course I will,” Sweetie said, matter-of-factly.

Diamond smiled mischievously because she knew her next question would make Sweetie squirm, so she asked with a hint of her old vindictive side, “So … who do you have a crush on now if it isn’t Scootaloo anymore? Are you into farm girls, perhaps?” Diamond teased.

Sweetie squeaked as she dragged a pillow over and covered her face with it, “No! Not Applebloom!” she cried, muffled.

“Okay.” Diamond narrowed one eye at Sweetie. “So that’s two girls down. As soon as I rule out seven billion more people, I’ll finally know who you have a crush on by process of elimination.”

Sweetie snorted into the pillow, her body shaking from laughter.

“Sooooo …” Diamond prodded again with a teasing grin.

“I…,” Sweetie removed the pillow, “She’s… got a lot of money…”

“Oh!” Diamond blinked in surprise. “I didn’t know you were into those kinds of people. Do I know her? Maybe I can introduce you to help repay your kindness to me.”

Sweetie swallowed, “Oh… you definitely know her…” Sweetie assured quietly.

Diamond widened her eyes in shock. “Oh my god! You’re into Silver Spoon?! I didn’t know that!” Diamond gasped.

Sweetie shook her head slowly and quite mutely, hiding her face under the pillow again.

“No?” Diamond blinked. “Well … is it someone who goes to CHS with us, or Crystal Prep? There are a lot of wealthy students in the latter campus.”

“CHS, with us,” came a very muffled reply.

“Then who?” Diamond asked. “At CHS, the list is pretty …” Diamond trailed off as she widened her eyes at Sweetie. “Oh god!”

Sweetie went completely quiet and still, except for a perceptible tremor.

“Sweetie, you …” Diamond paused and gulped, then went on. “... have … feelings for me?” She looked up. “You did sing me that song to me earlier, Scars to Her Beautiful.”

Sweetie’s breathing was slow and careful as she removed the pillow from her face, “I… I sang that to you because I want you to believe that you’re beautiful… Because you are…” A tear slipped down the side of her face and landed on her bed.

Diamond regarded Sweetie as tears welled up in her own eyes as well. This was not something she could tease Sweetie about. Not when her own feelings were well in flux.

“I’m sorry, Diamond…” she said weakly.

“You’re scared that I’m going to leave you now that you told me, aren’t you?” Diamond guessed.

“Yes…,” Sweetie answered softly, another tear slipping down the side of her face.

“Would it make you feel any better that I’m terrified that you’d leave me?” Diamond asked with a wavering voice. “That fear does not stem from anything rational. I just feel desperate.”

“No… Because I want you to trust that I won’t…,” Sweetie said softly, “I… I do have feelings for you…. I really hope that doesn’t make you feel weird…”

“Well,” Diamond shrugged, “maybe it does a little, but it also causes me some relief. Now that I’m aware why you have some incentive never to abandon or betray me, I feel a little safer and more secure.” She looked down with a sigh. “Part of me also feels obligated to return your affections out of sheer gratitude and out of fear that I’ll lose you if I don’t.”

“You… No… Diamond, you won’t lose me for anything… If you don’t feel that way, you don’t feel that way… I’d rather have you as just a friend than not at all,” Sweetie replied.

Diamond stared at Sweetie for a long moment. Then, without really thinking about it, she got off the chair and crawled up next to Sweetie. Despite Sweetie’s surprise and alarm, Diamond wrapped her arms around Sweetie’s right arm and closed her eyes. She settled her head into the soft pillows on the bed and suddenly felt exhausted. It’d been such a long day for her, after all. Such a tremendous emotional roller coaster for her.

“D-Diamond?” Sweetie stammered, suddenly very nervous.

“You smell nice,” Diamond mumbled under her breath tiredly. “Also, the pillows are comfortable. In fact, your entire bed is comfortable.” She yawned, then admitted, “I’m tired all of the sudden. I might not make it to the shower after all tonight.”

“Oh,” Sweetie said, feeling Diamond clinging to her arm. She carefully rolled to her side, facing Diamond, “Th-thank you,” Sweetie said with a deep blush.

“For what?” Diamond mumbled quietly while her eyes remained closed.

“You… said I smell nice,” Sweetie said clumsily, “J-Just… yeah…”

Diamond yawned again, then said, “Well, it’s true.” Diamond pulled a bit closer to Sweetie. “You have to tell me how you did that sometime. Shampoo or whatever … or maybe it’s just you. Maybe your spirit is so sweet that it reflects in your body as well.

“You call me beautiful? I guess you haven’t introduced yourself to the woman in the mirror often. Trust me … I’ll introduce you to her.”

Eyes still closed, she leaned forward to kiss Sweetie on the cheek then settled back into the pillow. Her breathing slowed down to a very restful state.

Sweetie froze at Diamond’s kiss, then melted as she felt her own exhaustion overwhelm her. She’d been moving around a lot, pushing herself even though she knew she was in pain from walking. She simply hadn’t wanted to slow down with Diamond around. Her eyes fell closed before long. She snuggled into Diamond.


Praxton stared at the screen of his phone. The tiny drone, with the infrared camera, had captured everything. He scribbled a note down in a notepad, took a picture, and sent it to Spoiled.

“That’s leverage… Gettin’ there... Yer mom wants you to show up to that debate… S’pose she’ll make sure you’re focused on it.”

He extended an arm out the window of his car and tapped the butt of his cigarette, losing ash on the ground, before bringing it back to his mouth for another drag.

Spoiled Rich: What is this?! What am I looking at here? It’s just a bunch of red and blue blurs together.

Praxton: Diamond and the Belle kid getting awful close.

Spoiled Rich: WHAT?! Why is my daughter hanging out with confused, insignificant low-life? And why has she not returned home of her own accord yet?

Praxton: It’s a real mystery, lady.

Spoiled Rich: Oh, nevermind. I suppose I don’t really care. Instead, text me the address to this Belle residence. I’ve hired someone who should help improve my daughter’s image. I’ll have him pick her up tomorrow if I get the address.

Praxton: Sure thing, lady. It’s 510 Starlight Street, Canterville.

Spoiled Rich: Very good! That’s a good boy! You’ve earned yourself a doggie treat.

Seconds later, Paxton received an email detailing the fact he received some payment in his bank accounts.

Praxton recalled the drone and set his phone down, taking another drag of his cigarette. Praxton sighed, then lamented, “Lady, if you weren’t payin’ me…”