• Published 14th Dec 2019
  • 894 Views, 32 Comments

To Start Over Again - Catlovingmermaid



Princess Twilight Sparkle discovers that she somehow been sent back in time to before she meets her friends. She must make friends with her friends all over again.

  • ...
3
 32
 894

To meet again

Twilight glanced over the basket at the small town below her, had Ponyville really changed that much? Sure she was aware that The Golden Oak Library would be intact and the Castle of Friends and The school of friendship would not exist, but half the town seemed to be missing as well.

"Wow," she gasped, "I forgot how small Ponyville was when I first moved here."

"You mean in that dream you had, right?" Spike asked, "'cause you've never been outside of Canterlot before."

"Has Princess Celestia replied yet?" Twilight demanded she needed to make sure she was staying in her old home so that Pinkie Pie could throw her welcome to Ponyville party.

"Uh, no not yet," Spike said, "but, to be honest, she's pretty busy as it is without having to deal with her star pupil running away."

"I am not running away," Twilight insisted as the balloon started to descend, "Princess Celestia wants me to come to Ponyville."

"Sure that's why you ran off without telling her where you are going."

Twilight opened her mouth to argue, but, as they were now getting ready to land in the town square, she noticed something was very off, "What in Equestria is Princess Celestia doing here?"

"I bet it has something to do with her run away student," Spike smirked.

"I did not run away!" Twilight insisted as the basket came to rest in the town square.

"From my point of view it sure does look like it," Princess Celestia announced sternly as she trotted up to the basket as any pony that was in ear shot left quickly to give their princess her privacy, "you leave Canterlot without permission with barely a note telling me where you are going. I'd classify that as running away."

Twilight wanted to shrink back in fear at the disappointed look Celestia was giving her, but it only lasted a second, just cause she was trapped in her old body didn't mean she had to cave into her old insecurities and fears, wings or not, she was a princess after all, and as a princess, she should be able to admit to her mistakes and apologize, just like she use to teach at The School of Friendship.

She took a deep breath and climbed out of the basket to stand in front of her mentor, "You're right, I should have discussed coming here with you, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to worry you."

Celestia smiled as Spike's jaw dropped, "It probably didn't help that when you are from you don't have to ask permission to do things, am I right?"

Twilight's eyes went round, "You believe me?!"

Celestia's let out a little laugh, "Yes, I do, I must admit that I had my doubts, while your description of Sunset's transgressions was correct, I assumed you could have overheard some of my guards or some of the older students talking about her, however, no one knew that I was debating about sending you here, yet you even knew where I was going to lodge you. The only logical explanation is that you really are from the future."

Twilight let out a sigh, "I can not tell you how glad I am to hear that, I could use your help figuring out what happened, but that can wait until after we deal with the current threat, Nightmare Moon. I need to meet my friends, and that might be tricky."

"Don't you remember how you met your friends?" Spike asked from next to Twilight startling the purple unicorn, she hadn't notice Spike get out of the basket.

"I do, clearly, today is one of my favorite memories," Twilight confessed, "But this conversation didn't happen the first time. One of my friends just walked past on the other side of Town Square and I wasn't there to introduce myself."

Spike and the princess both watched the unicorn, ready for her to go all freak out mode, however, Twilight just took a deep breath and smiled, "Good thing it's Pinkie I missed, she'll start planning a party the moment she hears that someone new is moving in. I'll just meet her tonight."

Spike looked at Twilight, "You know what, I think I believe you too, you would have freaked out over something like this majorly just yesterday."

"I know, it took me awhile but I learned that I have nothing to worry about, I have great friends that can help no matter what."

"Then I will leave you to do what you need to do," Celestia announced, before spreading her wings and taking off.

Twilight waited for a second to watch the princess fly off, "Well," she sighed, "We missed Pinkie, but if we hurry we can still make brunch at Sweet Apple Acres."


Sweet Apple Acres laid spread out before her, unlike Ponyville itself, the apple farm looked almost identical to the way she remembered it from her last visit a couple of weeks ago.

"Somethings never change," she told Spike, who was riding on her back, something she never knew that she missed until the baby dragon had climbed on, "Come on, I can smell the apple fritters from here!" With that she picked up the pace and started to gallop down the path, stopping as she nearly ran into a certain orange pony with a blonde mane.

"Few," Twilight let out a large gasp of air, she had forgotten how long it took to get to the farm from the center of town, "I was worried I was going to miss you," she explained to the pony in front of her, "My name is Twilight Sparkle," she paused as Apple Jack grabbed hold of her front hoof and started to shake it.

"Well, howdy-doo, Miss Twilight, a pleasure makin' your acquaintance. I'm Apple Jack. We here at Sweet Apple Acres sure do like makin' new friends!" Apple Jack announced while vigorously shaking Twilight's hoof.

"That's great," Spike exclaimed, "That's the whole reason we came to Ponyville, or at least why Twilight here came to Ponyville," he patted Twilight's side in support.

"Is that so," Apple Jack asked.

"Yes," Twilight confessed, "I heard somewhere that Ponyville is the friendliness place in Equestria."

"Is that so," Apple Jack said, kicking a front hoof back in embarrassment, "Li'l ole Ponyville the Friendliness." she chuckled, "Ain't that surprising!" The country pony was quiet for a second before she exclaimed, "Say you hungry? We're about ready for brunch."

"Well, now that you mentioned it..." Twilight said slowly, "brunch sounds wonderful."


Twilight had forgotten how much food one was expected to eat at an Apple Family Brunch. She had also forgotten how amazing Granny Smith's apple pie was. Therefore she had eaten way too much food.

"So," Spike asked, "We've met Apple Jack, where to next."

Twilight nodded down the road a bit, "See that mud puddle, we're headed there."

"But there's nopony in sight." Spike pointed out.

"Oh, but there will be," Twilight said, "Trust me."

It was just like she remembered, one second she was looking at the sky next second she was in a muddy puddle with Rainbow Dash laughing sheepishly, "Uh, 'scuse me?" she laughed, giving Twilight a once over, she was, just like the first time, covered in mud, which caused her to laugh some more, "Lemme help you."

With that the cyan Pegasus flew off and came back with a small rain cloud, which she positioned over the purple unicorn and jumped up and down on it, drowning Twilight beneath her.

Rainbow laughed again, "Oops, I guess I overdid it." She paused to think for a second, "Um, uh, how about this?" she asked as she flew super fast around Twilight in a circle, "My very own patented, Rain-blow dry!"

By now poor Twilight hair was a mess, as Rainbow continued, "No, no don't thank me, you're quite welcomed," then the rainbow maned mare saw the other pony's mane and burst into laughter, again.

"Hi Rainbow Dash," Twilight said, once she was sure that the Pegasus was done talking, "I'm Twilight."

"You heard of me?" Rainbow asked shocked, she knew she was good but she hadn't realized she was so good that pony's she never met before would recognize her at first glance, then again she was awesome.

"Of course," Twilight said, about to point out the fact that Rainbow Dash was the leader of the Wonder Bolts, but caught herself in time, Rainbow still hadn't joined the academy yet, "I was told that you are in charge of clearing the sky, which you would do in five seconds flat after you finish practicing for the Wonder Bolts."

Rainbow eyes grew round, shocked, "How do you know how long it takes me to clear the sky? I just barely met you."

Twilight sighed, "Does it really matter, you can clear the sky, can't you?"

"Of course I can." Rainbow Dash insisted, taking to the sky, "Loop-de-loop around, and wham!" she said, clearing the clouds away before landing on the nearby bridge, "Just like you said. Ten. Seconds. Flat."

"But Twilight said you could do it in five..." Spike began but a look from Twilight silenced him.

"I'd never leave Ponyville hanging." Rainbow insisted, smirking at Twilight, she was having fun here, "You're a laugh, Twilight Sparkle. I can't wait to hang out some more." she said eagerly.

"I look forward..." Twilight started, but Rainbow was already gone, "I forgot that she was almost as hyperactive as Pinkie when we first met, at least she calmed down... some."

Spike, however, was looking at his friend with a laugh on his face, "I'm sorry Twilight but if you're from the future couldn't you have avoided that..." he pointed to her tangled and puffy mane.

"I could have, but then there would have been no guarantee that I would have met Rainbow, or bonded with Rarity, who is our next stop. She'll be decorating the Town Hall for the celebration tomorrow."


Twilight smiled as she looked around herself, Rarity was always a perfectionist and everything looked amazing.

"Beautiful," Spike said, stopping to make sure his spikes were straight.

"That's right," Twilight said, nodding her head as she walked up to her old friend who had never met her before, "Good afternoon," she said politely, knowing that Rarity does not like being interrupted while she was in the zone.

"Just a moment, please! I'm 'in the zone', as it were. Oh, yes! Sparkle always does the trick, does it not? Why, Rarity, you are a talent. Now, um, how can I help you..." Rarity gasped as she turned around to see who had arrived, "Oh my stars, darling! Whatever happened to your coiffure?!"

Twilight smiled, everything was working out better now, if only she could meet Pinkie Pie then everything would be back to normal, "You mean my mane, it's a long story, I met up with Rainbow Dash outside."

"That pony has no class," Rarity stated, dragging Twilight away, not that Twilight complained any after all this was what she wanted to happen.

Twilight soon found herself having random outfits tried on her, just like what would happen if she ever set foot in any one of her friend's boutiques back in the future, " No, no, uh-uh. Too green. Too yellow. Too poofy. Not poofy enough. Too frilly. Too... shiny. Now go on, my dear. You were telling me where you're from."

Twilight wondered how she was supposed to tell her anything when she was tightening her saddle way too much, "I just moved here from Canterlot…"

Rarity let go of the straps to Twilight's saddle which caused Twilight to tip over," Canterlot?! Oh, I am so envious! The glamour, the sophistication! I have always dreamed of living there! I can't wait to hear all about it! We are gonna be the best of friends, you and I... Emeralds?! What was I thinking? Let me get you some rubies!"

Twilight quickly grabbed Spike, "Come on, we still have to meet Fluttershy, and find out where we can meet Pinkie Pie, and we don't have much time to do it in."


Fluttershy was working on getting the music ready for the next day, not an easy task when you don't like criticizing anyone, she sighed as she flew up to a blue jay, " Oh my. Um, stop please, everyone, umm. Excuse me, sir? I mean no offense, but your rhythm is just a teeny-tiny bit off. Now, follow me, please. A-one, a-two, a-one two three-"

"Hello," a new voice called out brightly, causing Fluttershy to yelp in surprise and the birds to fly away. Twilight mentally hoof palmed herself, she had forgotten how shy and timid Fluttershy had been when they had first met, "Oh my, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to frighten your birds." she insisted, "They were sounding beautiful. I'm Twilight Sparkle, I'm new in town."

"Um... I'm Fluttershy."

"I'm sorry what was that," Twilight asked, she thought she had said that her name was Fluttershy, but she wasn't sure, and if she had asked a question then it would be rude not to answer it.

"Um...My name is Fluttershy."

Twilight frowned, she still couldn't hear what she was saying, how had she gotten Fluttershy to loosen up some? She thought for a moment and then remembered, Spike, she had bonded with Spike, "Spike, stop hiding in the bush daydreaming about Rarity and come say hi," she called out.

The effect was immediate, "A baby dragon!" Fluttershy called out in surprise going over to look closer at the little dragon, "Oh, I've never seen a baby dragon before. He's sooo cute!"

Spike looked happily at Twilight, he always did like getting compliments, "Well, well, well," he said, "Someone forgot to mention this."

"Oh my, he talks," Fluttershy gasped, happily. "I didn't know dragons could talk. That's just so incredibly wonderful I... I just don't even know what to say!"

Twilight looked up at the sky, Celestia was already lowering the sun, "Well, we really need to get going, we haven't even started to unpack."

"What's his name?" Fluttershy demanded, following them as they started to leave.

"I'm Spike," Spike said proudly.

" Hi Spike, I'm Fluttershy. Wow, a talking dragon! And what do dragons talk about?" Fluttershy asked trotting behind Twilight.

"Well, what do you wanna know?"

"Absolutely everything."

Twilight groaned, she forgotten how carried away Fluttershy could get when faced with an adorable baby animal, they didn't really have time for this. They still had to find Pinkie Pie.


Twilight stopped in front of the Golden Oak Library, a wave of memories threatening to crash down on her, "Well, this is our place," she said brightly, "It was nice meeting you Fluttershy," she said heading to the door, "I'll invite you in, but my stuff probably is all over the place, it was supposed to arrive earlier today." At least she thought that it should have, the only reason it hadn't originally was she hadn't known that she was moving when she first arrived.

She opened the door, it was dark, just like when she had first arrived, not that that meant anything, she still hadn't met Pinkie Pie, so when she turned on the light there would be no surprise party waiting for her. She sighed, flicking the lights on.

"Surprise!" a chorus of voices called out, as a specific pink pony bounced towards them.

"Surprise!" she shouted, "Hi, I'm Pinkie Pie, and I threw this party just for you! Were you surprised? Were ya? Were ya? Huh huh huh?"

"Yeah, you haven't met me yet." Twilight pointed out.

"I know!" Pinkie shouted, twisting her head in a way that seemed physically impossible, "I stopped by Sweet Apple Acres to get apples for the Cake's and Apple Jack told me about you moving to Ponyville to make friends, and I figured, what better way to make friends than with a party!"

"I should have known," Twilight said with a shake of her head, "If there's an excuse to throw a party, Pinkie's going to throw it."