• Published 14th Dec 2019
  • 894 Views, 32 Comments

To Start Over Again - Catlovingmermaid



Princess Twilight Sparkle discovers that she somehow been sent back in time to before she meets her friends. She must make friends with her friends all over again.

  • ...
3
 32
 894

back to the beginning

Princess Twilight Sparkle stretched and rolled over, covering her head with her blanket to block out the early morning sun that filtered through her open curtains. She suddenly shot bolt up, the sun was up! How was that possible? The former Princess of the Sun, Celestia had only raised the sun for her twice since she had taken over ruling Equestria, once when she had been down with the flu and couldn't get out of bed, the second time when she had gotten up in the middle of the night to rush to Sweet Apple Acres to comfort Apple Jack when Granny Smith passed away. Both times had been as favors as Twilight couldn't deal with the responsibility at the time.

So how in the world did the sun come up without her, had she really overslept so long that Luna and Celestia took care of setting the moon and raising the sun? That hadn't happened since she came down with that flu.

"Morning sleepyhead," a familiar voice called out as the door squeaked open, "I was wondering when you were going to wake up."

"Spike!" Twilight exclaimed whirling around to face her royal advisor, "Why didn't you wake..." she trailed off noticing something quite odd with her oldest and truest friend, "Why are you so small?"

Spike looked down at his stubby legs, before looking up at his friend, "I'm a baby dragon," he pointed out, "I'm supposed to be small."

"But you're grown up now," Twilight insisted, "With wings and everything."

Spike looked carefully at his friend, her hair was sticking up at odd angles and she had a wild, threatened, look in her purple eyes, "Aw, you must have had some wild dream last night."

Twilight however didn't answer, she was too busy staring at herself in the full length mirror, "My wings!" she gasped looking at her sides, "Where are my wings?"

"You've never had wings," Spike insisted, patting her on the side, "You're a Unicorn, not a pegasus."

"I'm supposed to be an Alicorn," Twilight basically yelled, "Remember, I got that unfinished spell from Star Swirled the bearded that messed up my friends' cutie marks and changed their destinies so you helped me set things right, then I finished the spell and became an Alicorn Princess."

"You probably were just dreaming." Spike insisted.

"I was not dreaming," Twilight snapped, she stopped suddenly, taking a deep breath and releasing it slowly, "Calm down Twilight," she muttered to herself, "This is no time to start Twilighting."

"Since when has your name been a verb?"

"Sometime before Celestia and Luna retired and left me in charge."

"That was some crazy dream." Spike said, "But there is no way Princess Celestia will ever retire, she's been ruling Equestria for over a thousand years."

"It's not a Dream!" Twilight insisted, racing out the door, "Somehow I've been sent back in time to before I moved to Ponyville and met my friends, I need to figure out what happened and get back to my time period."


Twilight was in the library complaining to herself, "Great, Just great, why did I have to go and reorganize the books, I have no idea where anything is, I mean, did Celestia organized alphabetically or by topic?"

"Good morning Twilight," a familiar voice called out behind her as she browsed the bookshelf, "Looking for something?"

"Princess Celestia," Twilight gasped in surprise, seeing her mentor as she used to be, complete with crown, "Yes, I'm looking for information on Time Traveling."

"Time Traveling?" Celestia chuckled, "Only Star Swirled the Bearded..."

"Could go back in time," Twilight interrupted, "I know, but he could only go back a week and only stay for a minute. Even when Starlight rewrote it so she could go back in time to stop Rainbow Dash from completing her first sonic rainboom which prevented all six of us from getting our cutie marks making us to not become friends, but this is different, I'm stuck in my past body."

Celestia nodded softly, "Spike wrote to me and told me about your dream you had, about you becoming the ruler of all of Equestria."

"It's not a dream," Twilight protested, "I'm really am the leader of all Equestria, or..." she stuttered as she noticed her mentor giving her a look, "Or at least I will be in the future, I just need to find a spell to get me back to the future."

Celestia shook her head, "Twilight, have I ever told you about my personal student before you..."

"Sunset Shimmer," Twilight interrupted, "Yeah, you told me about her after she stole my crown, which was the element of magic. She really wanted to be a princess and started studying dark magic in her quest to reach her goal so you expelled her but she jumped through a magical portal to a different land where she tried to use my crown to form an army of brainwashed teenagers to take over Equestria, but I helped stop her with the help of some friends. I helped her make friends and now she's married and has three kids, though her son Morning Sentry is a handful, last time we talked she was debating about sending him to my school of friendship."

"Sunset Shimmer isn't that much older than you are," Celestia said slowly.

"I know, but I'm a magical Alicorn Princess from the future." Twilight insisted.

"You really did have quite the dream last night didn't you?" Celestia asked, a soft small on her face, "Maybe once I have some free time after the Summer Sun Celebration you can tell me about it."

"It's not a dream!" Twilight insisted, but Celestia had already walked away with an official-looking unicorn, "It wasn't a dream right?" she whispered to herself, "It felt so real."

With that she pulled out a book on the theory of time, she might as well start with that.

"Twilight, hey Twilight!"

Twilight looked up at the voice, "Spike?" she asked in confusion, looking at the purple baby dragon, who was holding a red wrapped box, "What's that?" she asked her voice shaking, if memory served her correctly she knew what it was.

"It's a present," Spike said, holding it up, "For Moon Dancer's party today."

Twilight sprung up, basically pinning the poor baby dragon to the ground, "Moon Dancer's party is today?" she demanded, panic filling her voice, "But that means that the Thousandth Summer Sun Celebration will be the day after tomorrow!"

"Yes," Spike said, pulling himself out from underneath the purple unicorn.

"But that means Nightmare Moon is going to escape from the moon and capture Celestia," She stood up quickly, "I need to get to Ponyville!" she cried out as she raced past Spike.

"What's so special about Ponyville?" Spike called out as he raced after Twilight.

"My friends live there..." Twilight explained calling over her shoulder, "And if I don't meet them before NightmareMoon arrives then they won't be able to help me use the elements of harmony to turn Nightmare Moon back into Princess Luna."

Spike stumbled as he tried to keep up with her as she raced down the stairs, as he picked himself up again, he said, "This is about that dream you had last night isn't it."

"It wasn't a dream." Twilight insisted as she tore out of the Palace and raced to a pony with a hot air balloon.

"How much does it cost for two tickets to Ponyville?" she demanded, levitating a bag full of bits in front of her.

"Ah..." the pony said shocked, "Ten bits."

"I'll give you twelve if we can leave right now."


"Did you just run away from Canterlot?" Spike asked as soon as they were in the air.

"It's fine, Princess Celestia wants us to check on the Summer Sun Celebration anyways."

"But we didn't talk to the Princess about going to Ponyville," Spike pointed out.

"Quick," Twilight shouted, thrusting a scroll and quill into the young dragon's hands, "Write the Princess and ask her to arrange for me to stay at the Golden Oak Library in Ponyville, tell her I went to make friends like she wants me to."

The dragon looked at her in confusion, "You really believed that dream last night didn't you?"

"It wasn't a dream," Twilight insisted, "And I can prove it, the first pony we are going to might is a pink pony with puffy hair that is going to scream and run away from us when we say hi."

"Yeah," Spike said slowly, "I'll believe it when I see it."

Author's Note:

So this just came to me and won't let go so... enjoy.